PDA

View Full Version : Meat smoking

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

oddlycalm
02-23-05, 08:07 PM
Let's start a 'meat smoking thread'. I just bought my first one last fall and have smoked about fours things and could use some tips. Yep, we were dragging a good steak thread off track. So, what kind of pit have you got and what recipes are you after? BTW, if you want a good recipe book that covers all the traditional American styles with a few new twists Smoke & Spice (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558322620/qid=1109201562/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-3217564-1944625) is a good place to start.

Pitts & Spitts. I've yet to find anything usefull to do with the upright section. With the main chamber at the proper temperature the upright chamber is 75 degrees cooler (like they promised) which is too low to safely cook raw meat. But the wife wanted that one.....

I've done pork ribs a few times and brisket. All have turned out great. I've found I have trouble making time to cook things that take 8-12 hours. Sweet, Pitts & Spits is a top drawer rig. Isn't the idea with the vertical cabinet that you can do higher temp Q like chicken at the same time you do a low & slow in the vertical? I also recall seeing folks grill with coals under the main grill while they smoke in the vertical cabinet.

As for long cooks, an autopilot is handy so you can get some sleep. BBQ controller (http://thebbqguru.com/index.htm) I'm using the Competitor model with a 10cfm blower. Since my ceramic pit will go 30hrs on a single load of fuel, it's basically set it and forget it. On an offset you will need to reload, but if you use the best charcoal (http://www.kamado.com/updatepage.htm) you can extend your burn times per fuel load quite a bit. This is 100% pure coconut shell that is fully carbonized and then extruded in dense rods. It comes in 16.5lb. boxes. I sprung for a pallet of 60 boxes, and haven't regretted it for a second. It burns for around 3-4 times longer than regular lump or stuff like Kingsford. I only used 30 boxes for the entire 9 month grilling season cooking something every day.

Anyway, I put my long cooks on in the evening with the meat dead cold, start the fire and set the controller and go to bed. I have a cheap ($37) little Redi-Check wireless thermometer (http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/redichecksmoker.htm) with a low temp alarm set, but I've never lost the fire yet. I pull the meat the next day when it's done, generally around noon, wrap it in heavy foil then old towels and toss it in a cooler to rest until dinner time. The reason I put the meat on dead cold is that meat stops absorbing smoke after the surface temp reaches 180F. To get the best smoke ring you want the longest duration you can get below that temp.

oc

oddlycalm
02-23-05, 08:33 PM
I brought a few bbq sauces and such to parties when I make this, but usually they don't get used. The Butt is so juicy and flavorful on its own, that most just put the pork right on a bun and eat it plain. I suggest, though, topping the pork with a coleslaw. I just use shredded cabbage with a sweet vidalia onion coleslaw dressing. Nice and simple. I'm with you on the slaw on pulled pork sandwiches. And while I like all kinds of exotic bread, plain old white bread buns are best for pulled pork IMO.

BTW, I did an unscientific sauce survey last Labor Day. I rubbed a pair of butts with Dizzy Dust (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/rubs.html) and let them sit in the fridge overnight, then smoked them for 15hrs, pulled them and set them out in a warming tray. I set out squeeze bottles of a traditional Georgia mustard based sauce, some thin North Carolina vinegar sauce that is basically cider vinegar, brown sugar and red pepper flakes and some traditional Kansas City style tomatoe based sauce.

I encouraged folks to sample all three on a piece of pork. Big surprise to me when the mustard sauce was the 3-1 favorite, the vinegar sauce came in a distant 2nd and the KC style sauce which is what all the stores carry was sampled but nearly unused. Some folks just went for straight deli mustard and slaw. Not a one of those 50+ folks had ever met a real pulled pork sandwich before, so there were no preconceptions. Some people didn't use anything, just as you indicated, and they raved about the taste without.

oc

devilmaster
02-23-05, 09:28 PM
The first couple times I smoked, I had a few buddys come over to help out.

Cool thing is, if done right, everyone pigs out (no pun intended) while the smoking is taking place. There should be enough room to bbq while smoking, if you have the right gear. We were bbq'ing steaks and shrimp, tried smoking some peppers, etc. Don't think of the smoker as a 'one thing at one time' kind of toy. Go nuts.

If you have a side smoker, grill up stuff directly over the fire while smoking. Get a pizza stone and make wood fired pizzas all day long. Plan out your smoking. A friend of a friend plans his smoking weeks in advance and smokes as much as he can in one go. Salmon, pork, venison, you name it.

If yer gonna spend 2 grand (i'm still choking on that, although now i want one) on a smoker, use the thing. I started last year when I got a vertical smoker on the cheap, but i'm going to give it up for a side smoker come spring.

The comments I heard the most bout the smoker party was that most of the guys were reminded how good a real wood charcoal fired food tastes.

Steve

Ankf00
02-23-05, 10:23 PM
luckily my buddy got a smoker in the backyard along with the house he bought 2 years ago, so we were set, it was just a glorified barrel with a smoker attached to the side, but it worked!

Methanolandbrats
02-23-05, 10:42 PM
I have never smoked meat with my buddies and I never will :D

Sean O'Gorman
02-23-05, 11:43 PM
This would be a good place to put in an Ank joke, but nah, I wont go there. :D

Ankf00
02-23-05, 11:47 PM
bet you don't even know how to cook a brisket... wussy.

oc: what do you put in your georgia mustard sauce?

Robstar
02-24-05, 12:34 AM
Oh, is that what this thread is about... :D

Jervis Tetch 1
02-24-05, 10:12 AM
Funny, I only let the girls smoke my meat. :D

Easy
02-24-05, 12:13 PM
DOH!

Ankf00
02-24-05, 12:18 PM
'tis the season...

to hijack threads :D

seriously though, are we doing this portland cookout this year or what? cuz I'm hungry for some piggie. :thumbup:

Easy
02-24-05, 12:18 PM
The first couple times I smoked, I had a few buddys come over to help out.

Don't think of the smoker as a 'one thing at one time' kind of toy. Go nuts.

A friend of a friend plans his smoking weeks in advance and smokes as much as he can in one go. Salmon, pork, venison, you name it.

If yer gonna spend 2 grand (i'm still choking on that, although now i want one) on a smoker, use the thing. I started last year when I got a vertical smoker on the cheap, but i'm going to give it up for a side smoker come spring.

Steve

Pure Comedy Gold.

oddlycalm
02-24-05, 04:42 PM
Cool thing is, if done right, everyone pigs out (no pun intended) while the smoking is taking place. There should be enough room to bbq while smoking, if you have the right gear. It's not often I can talk anyone into sitting through an entire all day cook, but pizza is a good call as are poppers, which are referred to as ATOMIC BUFFALO TURDS in BBQ circles. They are the perfect snack while you're Q'ing. There are special stainless racks made to hold them, but I just use toothpicks soaked in water.

Split the jalapenos in half, pipe with cream cheese, wrap with half a slice of regular cut bacon, and sprinkle with dry rub. Do them low and slow for couple hours or at 350 for 45 min if you can't wait.

http://bbqinstitute.com/images/ABTonGrill.JPG

oc: what do you put in your georgia mustard sauce? Since I had no idea it would be so well received I just bought some Bib Bob Gibson's mustard sauce (http://www.bigbobgibson.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BBGB&Product_Code=6886&Category_Code=S) in Decatur, AL. Gibson's team have won several whole hog, overall and sauce titles at the big Nasheville contest. I'll probably look around for a good recipe to develop for myself now that I know folks like it. Probably offensive to Georgia folks to get my mustard sauce in Alabama, but whatever works, right?

oc

oddlycalm
02-24-05, 04:47 PM
I have never smoked meat with my buddies and I never will :D Did I mention that Bonesmokers (http://www.drbbq.com/seasoning.htm) have won awards in contest.... :rofl:

oc

racer2c
02-24-05, 05:04 PM
I just bought a SmokeMaster with the additional firebox that bolts on the side last fall. I did the Thanksgiving turkey on it which was a huge success and the entire family raved about it. Because of our early dinner time due to hosting the day, I didn't go with the indirect method, but rather direct (small fire and a pan of liquid (I used water) underneath the bird. I sprinkled soaked hickory on top of the charcoal fire every 15 or 30 minutes. It worked very well. But even doing it this way which took about three hours, I still had to dump black charcoal briquettes on the fire to keep it going. I was always told you had to let them get gray first, because it would taint your food and would even be poisonous. So how are you going to keep the fire going for hours on end? All wood produces too much smoke. And to do an indirect cooking of a large turkey would take 12 hours. How the heck do you keep a fire going that long. :confused:

I love doing indirect cooking (using the firebox with charcoal and soaked wood chips) for salmon steaks. Takes about 45 minutes and they are to die for.

This Spring and Summer I want to dive into ribs, briskets and hams etc. Any instructions from your favorite smoking recipes would be appreciated!

JoeBob
02-24-05, 05:07 PM
So how are you going to keep the fire going for hours on end? All wood produces too much smoke. And to do an indirect cooking of a large turkey would take 12 hours. How the heck do you keep a fire going that long. :confused:

Get the charcoal hot in a chimney starter, then dump it in. I got a pair of welder's gloves at Home Depot (another Alton Brown tip) and wear them when handling the chimney starter once the charcoal is hot.

This puppy is your friend:
http://www.weber.com/bbq/img/accessories/allfuel_05_large.jpg

Gnam
02-24-05, 05:21 PM
Pure Comedy Gold.
TFF! :rofl:

racer2c
02-24-05, 05:25 PM
Get the charcoal hot in a chimney starter, then dump it in. I got a pair of welder's gloves at Home Depot (another Alton Brown tip) and wear them when handling the chimney starter once the charcoal is hot.

This puppy is your friend:

Ahh! Awesome! Thanks!

oddlycalm
02-24-05, 05:53 PM
Another way to avoid off flavors is the use pure lump charcoal rather than briquettes made out of softwood, fillers and binders like coal tar... ugh. Best way to discover the properties of the lump you find at places like Lowes or Walmart is to check the Charcoal Database (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm) The Whiz has tested them all and lays to waste all the claims and BS.

As you can see from the database, the longest burning charcoal is Kamado extruded coconut charcoal. It is approx. 4x as dense as normal lump charcoal. It has no binders or fillers, and if you don't use smokewood it also impart zero taste to the meat. This allows one to control the amount of flavor very precisely and makes the interval between fueling around 4 times longer. On my ceramic rig that means 30hrs on an 8lb load of K extruded. On a steel offset cooker expect much less, but still 4x longer than Kingsford.

For me, BBQ is all about repeatable results with a minimum of effort, which is why I use a ceramic rig with an "autopilot" draft control and charcoal that doesn't impart any flavor of it's own. I want to be able to go to bed and sleep all night without the fire going out of having to be fed. I also didn't want to spend $ thousands on a good sized offset.

oc

Ankf00
02-24-05, 06:16 PM
never done poppers with bacon and on the grill, always breaded them then deep fried, going to have to try this

I guess we should cook more stuff when smoking a brisket, but we usually spend most of our energies during the day playing frisbee golf and floating the keg :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
02-24-05, 06:22 PM
Well if you people insist on smokin' I want this put on my meat now.

http://www.bonesuckin.com/

Methanolandbrats
02-24-05, 09:34 PM
Well if you people insist on smokin' I want this put on my meat now.

http://www.bonesuckin.com/

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/dvv/cwmddd.gif not sure if I should click on that or not.

Ankf00
02-24-05, 09:43 PM
It's not often I can talk anyone into sitting through an entire all day cook...

...Probably offensive to Georgia folks to get my mustard sauce in Alabama, but whatever works, right?

oc

get a keg and I'm there with ya all day :D

and it's all just "uncle/daddy" territory east of the Sabine :gomer:

oddlycalm
02-25-05, 05:20 AM
3-2-1 Ribs You can do this recipe on a Weber kettle or gas grill just as well as on a big offset rig. This recipe is for St. Louis cut spare ribs (http://www.primogrill.com/food/st-louisribs.htm) so if you are doing baby backs cut the time down to 2-1-1/2. Many places like Costco and Safeway sell ribs already trimmed St. Louis style. Don't just toss a slab of untrimmed spares on as the skirt meat won't let them cook evenly and they will be miserable to cut up when they are hot with the chine bone still on.

Dust the ribs with a generous amount of your favorite dry rub and massage it into the meat, toss the slabs in a 2 gallon ziplock, or wrap with cling wrap if you have the patience, and refrigerate from 2hrs - overnight. Using a good amount of apple or hickory wood chunks to give steady smoke cook the ribs indirect for 3hrs @ 225 mopping every 20 minutes. Pull the ribs off the grill, wrap in heavy foil or toss them in a disposable roasting pan using foil for a cover and add some beer or apple juice before you close them up and cook for 2hrs more. Unwrap, test for tenderness, lightly sauce and return to grill until done, about 1hr. So, 3-2-1 is 3hrs uncovered, 2hrs covered w/ beer or juice and 1hr uncovered with sauce brushed on. They should be tender and easy to pull apart but the slabs should not fall apart on their own.

If you don't use a Rib Rack (http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?skus=6094841&pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Crib%20rack&gids=sku6094841&cmsrc=sch) cook the fist hour with the meat side down then flip to meat side up for the next two hours. Once foiled cook meat side down, and finish with meat side up. Each slab finishes at a different time, so just cook them until they are done. You can test your ribs with a wooden toothpick. If the toothpick pushes in between the ribs very easy then it is done. I find that 3 hours indirect and they are very tough, 2hrs hours wrapped in foil, they are almost done and are tender, finish unfoiled until done - 5 minutes or 2 hours whatever it takes.

The 3-2-1 method is probably the most widely used method for smoking ribs, but you should adjust the time to suit your smoker and your taste. If you like Memphis dry style ribs the only difference is that instead of saucing the ribs the last hour you mop them a couple of time after which you shake some dry rub on them. Everybody had their own ideas about mopping liquid, but I use a mixture of apple cider vineger and apple juice in a spray bottle.

If you are doing this on a charcoal or gas grill and you don't know how to cook indirect, you need to master that for your rig. Indirect means no flame underneath, so you basically put them on the grill on one side and the fire is on the other side. Grilling and BBQ are two completely different operations. Grilling is high heat and short cook times and BBQ is low and slow w/ indirect heat.

oc

Jervis Tetch 1
02-25-05, 01:13 PM
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/dvv/cwmddd.gif not sure if I should click on that or not.
It's actually not that bad. Tried it once. I saw it in Maxim and thought if a company can name its product that, then I have to try it.

oddlycalm
02-25-05, 05:29 PM
I guess we should cook more stuff when smoking a brisket, but we usually spend most of our energies during the day playing frisbee golf and floating the keg :gomer: Those are real good things to do while BBQ'ing. I can pretty much guarantee that a dozen atomic buffalo turds and a half dozen beers each will have everyone strapping on chairs for the duration... :laugh:

oc

Methanolandbrats
02-25-05, 06:15 PM
Those are real good things to do while BBQ'ing.

A few lucky folks in San Jose will sit on their balconies, barbecue and watch Champcars scream by at 40 mph.

oddlycalm
02-26-05, 05:25 PM
A few lucky folks in San Jose will sit on their balconies, barbecue and watch Champcars scream by at 40 mph.
:rofl: Well, yes, low and slow is best for Q, not so much for racing. On the other hand, nobody will get so distracted by the racing that they end up chewing their fingers off while eating a brat... :gomer:

oc

Mr. Vengeance
02-26-05, 06:03 PM
smoked salmon:

- fillet the fish and remove the pinbones. Get all of them.
- skin side down, make slits through the flesh down to the skin, (but not through it), to make strips of +/- 2 inches in width

For the brine, mix together:

-4 cups of dark brown sugar, 1 cup of coarse (kosher or pickling) salt, and 15 or so cloves of minced garlic. (Yes, 15. At least).

In a plastic or glass pan, cover the fillets with the brine mixture. Put this in the fridge for at least 6 hours. The longer you leave it in the firmer (and saltier) the final product will be.

Rinse off the fillets and leave on a rack to dry at room temperature for a couple hours. (the outside of the fish should harden a bit).

I've got one of those Braunfels offset smoker / grill things and use lump charcoal (Kingsford's all I can get here) and nothing but alder for the smoke. It usually takes about 4 hours before they're finished, but that varies with the thickness of the fillets and how firm you want the final product to be. A chimney starter is important, as the fish will pick up off flavors if the coal's not ready. 10 bucks at your local wally world.

The last time I did this was around New Years, and it was 30 below (C) outside. THe neighbours must have wondered what the hell I was doing.

Try to use a spring (chinook) or coho if you can. Pink salmon are fine, too, and they're usually cheap. Problem is they're smaller (thinner) so if you use one of these you may want to cut back on the salt.

Anyway, it's tough to screw up, and the results are unbelievable. Cheers.

Mr. Toad
02-27-05, 12:35 PM
If your meat is smoking, you have cooked it WAY TOO LONG.

Rare is best :D

oddlycalm
02-27-05, 05:03 PM
For the brine, mix together: Your method is very similar to my own. Good advice about allowing the salmon to dry completely after brining and forming a cuticle so you don't get that cream colored salmon ooze during smoking.

BTW, the woman that inspired me to start smoking in the first place and that is regarded internationally as turning out the best smoked salmon anywhere is quitting the business after nearly 40yrs. I made the haj recently and visited her and she shared some methods with me. I was absolutely stunned to discover that she uses a dry cure for fish rather than brine like 99% of the rest of us. Turns out that when she arrived at the Oregon coast back in the 1960's the only people doing any smoking were guys doing bacon and sausage. She learned from them to use dry cure and adjusted her method over time. Her cure is basically Morton's Tenderquick, brown sugar and some spices. She also breaks a prime rule of smoking and uses green mountain maple (vine maple) along with here dry alder. Green wood is normally a no-no, and it's ruined many a smoker permanently with bitter off flavors, but she swears by it.

She actually sells her dry rub (cheap, 3lbs/$5) and has just come out with a how-to video as well as a book which she not only wrote, but illustrated and published herself. It's a hoot and so is she.
Karla's Smokehouse (http://www.karlassmokehouse.com/orderpage.htm)

oc

eiregosod
02-28-05, 02:46 PM
apologies for an impetulent interruption,

not related to BBQ, but the smoking of fish.

Once I saw a program by Rick Stein (perhaps the best TV chef in the UK) , where he went to a Scottish fishing village, to see how fish were smoked. It looked delicious :)

oddlycalm
03-01-05, 02:45 AM
not related to BBQ, but the smoking of fish.

Once I saw a program by Rick Stein (perhaps the best TV chef in the UK) , where he went to a Scottish fishing village, to see how fish were smoked. It looked delicious :) You'll be glad to know that it tastes even better than it looks, and it keeps vacuum packed in the fridge for around 3 months. It takes most of a day to do a batch, but most of that is waiting; brine for 2hrs, dry for 2hrs, moke for 2hrs, and cool for 2hrs. There is plenty of time to do other things.

Aside from everything else, it's really healthy eating. Being able to just pull it out and with some cheese and bread for a quick meal makes it a convenience food. My only complaint is that I waited a too damn long to get a smoker because I was too cheap to buy one. Looking back I would definitely do that differently.

oc

eiregosod
03-01-05, 08:02 PM
I am rather partial to smoked cod. Smoked salmon is really good with brown bread, its as near addictive as good food can get.

when I'll be assembling a Utility Muffin Research Center of my own, I will install a smoker!

G.
03-02-05, 12:23 PM
when I'll be assembling a Utility Muffin Research Center of my own, :confused: Is this another play on words, like smoking the meat, pulling the pork, bone sucking??

:gomer:

eiregosod
03-02-05, 03:28 PM
:confused: Is this another play on words, like smoking the meat, pulling the pork, bone sucking??

:gomer:

well the phrase was coined by Frank Zappa................:D

oddlycalm
03-02-05, 07:05 PM
Wasn't "Utility Muffin Research Center" what he called his home studio?

oc

eiregosod
03-02-05, 07:53 PM
Wasn't "Utility Muffin Research Center" what he called his home studio?

oc
Yup, he'd mix all his reels of tape from all his gigs there, as well as creating music on his synclavier.

back to the topic at hand.

IIRC, where'd smoke that fish in Scotland, it looked like a delapidated wooden shed. Appearances are deceptive, as the old guy smoking the fish knew more about that than an engineering graduate knows about solving quadratic equations.

oddlycalm
03-03-05, 03:44 PM
it looked like a delapidated wooden shed Also known as a smokehouse and are used for what is referred to as "cold smoking," or smoking at temperatures too low to actually cook food. Cold smoking is for curing and hot smoking is for cooking. Hot smoking is what is used in BBQ, and the temperatures are typically in the 150F-250F, or 95c-120c for the six billion or so folks that don't speak Fahrenheit. Hot smoking actually cooks the meat or fish as well as smoking it.

Cold smoking occurs at much lower temperatures, generally 80F-100F/27c-38c. It doesn't cook the meat or fish, and is used in conjuction with a curing process that uses salt, nitrates, and nitrites as found in products such as Morton's Tenderquick Cure. The smoke of course adds more nitrates to the outside as well, which is what causes the bright pink "smoke ring" that is the badge of honor among BBQ fans and scares noobies into thinking the pork is raw... ;) But I digress....

In any case, cold smoking is often done with a smokehouse and a remote fire with a flue made of wood, tin stovepipe or sewer tile buried underground between fire and smokehouse to cool the hot gases from the fire before they reach the smokehouse. Usually the fire is 10-15ft. (3m-4m) from the smokehouse. The shed itself doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to momentarily contain the smoke and provide hanging space and keep flies out during cooling. You never want the smoke totally contained in any kind of smoker, as stale smoke results in an "off" taste.

Cold smoked salmon is often referred to as Lox, while hot smoked salmon is referred to as kippered or simply smoked salmon. Anyone that has had both knows they are completely different products as the lox is still technically in an uncooked state and retains the very smooth and silky texture of raw salmon. This is the traditional way most fish curing/smoking is done in Europe. American bacon and hams are also cured then cold smoked.

Hot smoking, sometimes known as "hard smoking" in earlier times, owes more to native Americans who would stake big chunks of chinook salmon around the edges of low fires on alder branches. Hot smoked salmon tastes smokier and less salty and the fish flakes apart like any other cooked salmon. Hot smoking also preserves the fish, but for a much shorter period of time due to the shorter cure and smoke times, generally only a week or two without refrigeration. Vacuum packed and refrigerated hot smoked fish can keep around 3 months at which point it is still safe to eat but the quality degrades noticably, so you have to serve folks a lot more beer before you pull out the fish from the back of the refrigerator shelf... :eek: :gomer:

oc

eiregosod
03-03-05, 09:35 PM
yikes I wish I knew a lot about non-esoterical things! :eek:

Ankf00
05-18-05, 12:06 AM
The Glory of Lockhart, Texas

http://counterpunch.com/jw05142005.html

s'how we do :cool:

although she got it wrong with the no silverware bit... the silverware was sorta "hidden" in the back somewheres, this way ya' culla'ed folk don't go runnin' off with nuttin... the "proper" locals were allowed to consume their godly goodness in slightly better conditions to say the least ;)

oddlycalm
05-18-05, 01:15 PM
Decent article. Every time we are in San Antonio to visit family we make the haj to Lockhart via backroads after we've had enough carne asada from Taco Cabana. Aside from everything else that's good about the Q, it's the only place I've been to where you can get beef shoulder clod smoke whole. The wife is a serious hill country link fan and Kreuz Market has among the best anywhere.

I was amused to read that the author wasn't impressed by the brisket at Kreuz Market, no doubt because she didn't no to ask for the deckle meat. All BBQ places will automatically serve you slices from the flat unless you ask. Every region has their own name for the deckle. Some call it the point, in Lockart they call it the knuckle. Whatever, it's the part of the brisket I'm interested in, and the part I make burnt ends out of.

oc

Ankf00
05-18-05, 11:36 PM
most of the folks I know down there dislike the new kreuz unless they're getting a pork chop, some are actually threatened with ex-communication if they maintain any kind of relationship with the new kreuz... and I thought my family was crazy! :eek: the faux-kreuz brisket is also now 4 hours of smoke-time compared to I think 24 for blacks. I'm unsure about smitty's other than it's longer than kreuz... and Chisolm Trail hits about 10 hours I believe...

http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/lockhart/kreuzsign.jpg

oddlycalm
05-19-05, 01:22 PM
Haven't tried the brisket at the new Kreuz, but 4hrs smoke time is just loose talk. The meat would still be medium rare inside and tough as a boot sole. The reason we go to the new Kreuz is my wife goes for the links (recipe unchanged) and I for the shoulder clod. Both are outstanding. Since I can do better brisket than any commercial place myself I rarely order it when I'm at a BBQ restaurant. On the other hand, an entire beef shoulder clod from a good sized steer weighs well over 60# and won't fit on my ceramic pit or in my refrigerator, so the only chance to get it is at the few commercial places that serve it. Shoulder clod the cow equivalant of the boston butt on an oinker. Totally unlike brisket in flavor, moisture content and texture. I agree that Blacks is the best place in Lockhart for brisket, but that's not what we go for. I also suspect that BBQ preferences in Lockhart are often as much about politics as about meat. ;)

The reasons no commercial place can do as well as a good home smoker is that few can afford to use the same quality of meat, nor than they afford the space required to rest the meat for a minimum of 3hrs after cooking. I have never had restaurant brisket that is as moist as off my ceramic pit. In a commercial place, even if they use a brick pit they open and close it so often that all the moisture escapes. Even the best commercial places have to rely on the 80/20 rule when it comes to these factors, and so they concentrate on producing a nice flavorful bark and brisket that is exactly the correct doneness. At a place like Blacks, they manage to get enough factors right that they end result is outstanding, but not the best that can be done. If you entered a brisket from Blacks in the Jack Daniels Invitational, it probably wouldn't place in the top 20. That said, it's still better brisket than in 99.9% of all BBQ restaurants.

oc

Ankf00
05-31-05, 11:08 PM
slate went on a bbq tour apparently, check it out

http://www.slate.com/id/2118542/entry/2118544/

AUSTIN and LLANO, Texas—Here's the amazing thing about Texas barbecue. Even a run-of-the-mill place around here is better than the best barbecue anywhere else...

...(It's criminal that Memphis is recognized as the city of great ribs, because every rib I ate in Texas was vastly superior.)

beetches. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/smokin.gifhttp://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

G.
06-01-05, 12:37 PM
One of the best burgers that I have had was in the Dallas/FTW area at a - get this - gas station. A native (well, ok, longtime Carpetbagger) took me there. It had a small seating area and a grill. Tasty.

eiregosod
06-01-05, 01:29 PM
I had some smoked turkey when i was in the USA a few weeks back :cool:

on TV this morning I saw a salmn dish that won a prize at the jack-D BBQ contest a few years back

I think I will build a BBQ pit on the back patio

oddlycalm
06-01-05, 02:23 PM
slate went on a bbq tour apparently, check it out IMO nobody can make a real case for Texas vs Memphis ribs. Both are outstanding, and I'ver learned to cook both styles at home.

Since my wife started on BBQ in the hill country and myself in Arizona, we are both partial to open fire mesquite cooking. You can't do slow BBQ with mesquite in a closed pit because it will get bitter, even to the point of ruining the pit forever. Places like Cooper's burn the mesquite down to coals outside the pits then shovel the hot coals under them after all the volitiles and nasty stuff has burned off. The result is incredible, and there is no other way to achieve it. Using natural lump mesquite charcoal with a small chunk of well seasoned mesquite wood (make certain all the bark is removed) is about as close as a person can get with their own pit.

What makes Memphis spares unique is the incredibly flavorful bark on the meat from the mop solution (usually apple cider vinegar, apple juice & a bit of rub) followed by the dry spice rub. The rub is applied before cooking then once more when the ribs come off. The combination of the meat flavor, the flavor from the crunchy caremalized bark and the hickory smoke is really something special. Places like the Rendevous get it done just right.

One of the best burgers that I have had was in the Dallas/FTW area at a - get this - gas station. Hey, good eats are where you find them. Those that are too prissy to eat at the counter in a gas station, a long table with strangers in a cinder block Q joint, or a hole in the wall Mexican place in the middle of nowhere are simply missing out. I discovered the best smoked salmon in the world at a little garage joint in a jerkwater town at the Oregon coast back in 1971, and over 30yrs later the building is still funky and the best salmon is still the best. :thumbup:

oc

Ankf00
06-01-05, 10:32 PM
we had to mail cooper's to a fellow from hornfans who got shipped to alaska cuz of his wife (army doc), he was homesick, and, well, no man should suffer from a lack of cooper's :gomer:

Ankf00
08-18-06, 11:32 PM
tonight trying a brisket on the housemate's bloody propane grill, we'll see how that turns out...

it's a sunbeam or something, i dunno, dual burner, nice heavy cast iron grates, removed the warming racks for room. Placed some pre-soaked mesquite chips in an aluminum pouch, mmm, vaporized aluminum == delish

There's a thermal conduit that covers the breadth both burners, so I just have both burners on low since the conduit ruins the point of using just 1 burner, and the propane tank cracked open 1/2 turn or so to boot. A sheet of foil folded many times over covering the thermal conduit to serve as a thermal deflector.

10 lbs of whatever USDA grade that "ranchers reserve" stuff from Tom Thumb/Randalls/Safeway is supposed to be, should've just gone to the Whole Foods 2 blocks down and picked up some prime but the brisket was more an impulse buy in the middle of grocery shopping than something well thought out :D It looks decently marbled and it bends in half quite easily so it's not that fatty. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

For the rub I used some salt (I'm not a salt fan), loads of ground pepper, decided to throw in some indian spices for s***s n giggles, garam masala, dhana jeeru (ground coriander & ground cumin mix of a certain ratio, I think 75% vs. 25%), tumeric, cayanne, and some coffee grinds per Oddlycalm's recommendation.

Going with the typical 1.5 hrs/lb @ 210-215'ish, so I guess that's the upside of this bastardized propane business. Well that and I've made the guy on the right proud:

http://www.animationartgallery.com/images/KOT/KOTH8.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go outside and get back to playing with my meat :)

Ankf00
08-19-06, 05:27 AM
um, yea, 2 burners & 1/2 turn? I'm an idiot, it's a grill, it's supposed to pump out s*** tons of BTU's, duh.

1 burner and .00000000000001/pi radians of a turn. :gomer: Have the tank valve opened to the most minimal setting where the flame sustains itself, 215'ish internal temp, w00t. And to ensure the flame doesn't go out for some reason and end up burning the house down with propane gas buildup, I now have to stay up all night, but it's already 4:30, so oh well. [/blog]

KLang
08-19-06, 08:29 AM
I thought you were going to pick up a proper smoker? Weren't you looking at a Weber Smokey Mountain?

Ankf00
08-19-06, 01:31 PM
I thought you were going to pick up a proper smoker? Weren't you looking at a Weber Smokey Mountain?
werd, haven't gotten around to it yet though, I am lazeeee. actually, per oddlycalm's advice, I think I will pick up a 22.5" weber with a pair of charcoal holders for indirect heating...

oddlycalm
08-19-06, 02:20 PM
So how did it turn out...? On a gas grill I'd probably wrap the brisket in foil after the first few hours so it would dry out.

BTW, most briskets are USDA Select. I've seen one or two that were choice over the years, but that's it. The way I judge them in the store is based on whether the end of the flat is thick enough for good slices (many aren't) and how flexible the brisket is, the more flexible the better. Safeway is the best of the supermarket sources, so you did good on that.

oc

Joelski
08-19-06, 02:35 PM
Meat smoking?

No, but it hurts to cross my legs. :)

Ankf00
08-19-06, 04:01 PM
threw it on around 4, around 9 I passed out and sometime between then and noon the flame was out and the temp was around 155 :saywhat:, fired it back up, it was around 255-260 (min burner w/ full open tank) while I toyed with the tank valve to get the flame just right for the next hour, it's at 220 now and wrapped up.

I don't think the wood smoked much until I refired it at noon, or maybe I just couldn't see much of the smoke b/c it was night, I could smell it, but I didn't see 1/4 as much smoke, maybe I should've thrown the pouches directly on the burner at the bottom of the compartment... If it sucks, I can always chop it up and slather it in sauce for sammiches, cow titties are cheap after all

the flat definitely isn't thick enough for full slices, but it was the thickest cut at Tom Thumb (the store branding for Dallas' Safeway locations) and was the most flexibile of what was there. As for USDA grade, maybe b/c the default definition of "BBQ" down here is brisket and it's more in demand that we can get prime sometimes. I know my friends have found it a couple of times, but I don't recall ever seeing it at the store myself, but I'm not buying 1-2 briskets a month either, more like 1-2 a year :D

I remember that Joebob post about CostCo choice grade meats, I'll have to check that out next time but I think the CostCo's a bit of a drive for me...

Ankf00
08-19-06, 11:20 PM
the housemates both love it...

then again, they eat a steady diet of taco bell & pei wei all week long. I think it's not so great... :( chopped bbq sammich time! good thing there's so much drippings b/c I'll need it for the sauce http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

oddlycalm
08-20-06, 03:25 AM
If you've got a simple gas grill and want to eat great brisket, this is the holy grail and is foolproof besides. This is how I did mine until I got the ceramic smoker and people were always knocked out. I still do it this way in the winter.

Texas Brisket
Ann Greer – 1/89

INGREDIENTS:
1 beef brisket – flat cut (approx. 5-7lbs.)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup Jim’s BBQ sauce (see recipe for sauce below)
½ cup firmly packed parsley
4 medium garlic cloves
6 medium scallions
2 Serrano or jalapeno chilies
3 small Mexican (Key) limes
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup red wine
12/3 cup beef stock
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon each salt and pepper

PREPARATION:
Marinade: Make the Jim’s BBQ sauce if not already made. Mince the parsley, mince the garlic, thin slice the scallions. Stem, seed and halve the chilies. Put parsley, scallions, garlic and chilies in medium bowl. Add juice from limes (1/2 cup). Stir in BBQ sauce, Worcestershire, red wine, beef stock, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each salt and pepper. Put brisket fat side up into 9x13 glass (non-reactive) baking dish or a 2 gallon freezer bag. Set aside ½ cup marinade, then pour remaining marinade over brisket, cover and refrigerate for 1-3 days.

Cooking: Pat meat dry, then rub with oil. Sear on very hot grill (or iron pan) 7-8 minutes per side. You want to really incinerate the thing, so don’t be shy, turn up the heat as high as it will go. After removing the brisket from the grill, wrap securely with heavy duty foil after putting the ½ cup of marinade saved inside. Return to glass dish and bake at 200 degrees for 12hrs.

Serving: Slice thinly across the grain on an angle (similar to London Broil). Serve immediately w/ Jim’s BBQ sauce. Meat should literally fall apart.

Jim’s Barbecue Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
Chili Paste:
8 small dried hot red jalapenos
6 dried Anaheim chilies
1 fresh jalapeno
2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
* Good quality powdered chili may be substituted in chili paste

Sauce:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup minced ginger
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon dry Mexican oregano
1 tablespoon dry mustard
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1.5 cups ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup honey
½ teaspoon salt

PREPARATION:
Paste: Preheat oven to 350. Stem, seed and cut chili’s and fresh jalapeno into 1” pieces. Put pieces of chili on jelly roll pan and bake approx. 3 minutes till fragrant. Blend or process till minced. Add vinegar, 3 tablespoons water, pinch of salt and process till smooth paste; set aside (can be refrigerated up to 3 months)

Sauce: Mince garlic, chop onion and heat oil in a 2qt. pan. Add garlic & onion and sauté at medium heat for 3 minutes. Add ginger, horseradish, oregano, mustard, vinegar and ½ teaspoon of salt. Simmer until vinegar reduces slightly, approx. 3 minutes. Add ketchup, honey, brown sugar, Worcestershire, 1.5 tablespoons of chili paste and simmer while stirring for 30 minutes. (keeps 2 weeks in refrigerator)

Ankf00
08-22-06, 01:10 PM
^^^allsome! thanks!

in other news, we only cut into the point on saturday, I was slicing up the flat yesterday night and it tasted pretty damn soft & moist, but the smoke flavor was pretty non existent, oh well.

G.
11-03-06, 10:53 PM
Not even done de-seeding the dry peppers and my face is burning...

[begin blog]

Ankf00
11-03-06, 11:11 PM
so you found them.

i recommend frequently washing your hands w/ soap while handling the peppers to keep the oils from penetrating your skin too deeply, otherwise I recommend not touching your face/eyes for quite some time :D

chop456
11-03-06, 11:17 PM
My new smoker is being Fed Ex'd as we speak. :gomer:

Just a cheap one.

dando
11-03-06, 11:27 PM
so you found them.

i recommend frequently washing your hands w/ soap while handling the peppers to keep the oils from penetrating your skin too deeply, otherwise I recommend not touching your face/eyes for quite some time :D

Or other appendages. :D :eek: ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-03-06, 11:47 PM
My new smoker is being Fed Ex'd as we speak. :gomer:

Just a cheap one.

rock on :thumbup:

G.
11-04-06, 03:21 AM
I like MaryAnne. Ginger, not so much,

oddlycalm
11-04-06, 11:48 PM

[begin blog] Know that feeling G. Rubber gloves are the ticket for Q prep.
I also cribbed a good method for pulling/shredding hot Q. I got some size XL rubber gloves and wear them over glove liners. Insulates your hands from the hot Q. glove liners
(http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=WL6702&UID=200611042147124064883081)

Final rubber glove tip for getting large chunks of smoked beast on and off the smoker and just put them on and wash your hands when finished. They cost $10 and mine have lasted 3 seasons. They allow me to lift hot grills, pans and heat deflectors off and on without getting burned as well. Insulated neoprene gloves
(http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?GroupID=147&CategoryID=15)

KLang
11-06-06, 10:51 AM

[begin blog]

So how did the brisket turn out?

G.
11-06-06, 01:10 PM
The meat was awesome, but really, how do you ef up slow-cooking marinated roasts for 12 hours?;) Gotta love a flat roast that needs to be picked up with 3 spatulas. Neighbor still wondering what his nutty neighbor was doing flaming up a grill at 10:30 PM.:laugh:

The sauce is very flavorful and turned out very well. This was what I was looking forward to so much - my experience cooking sauces is pretty minimal. The taste? I have to admit, it needs some work for it to suit me, but this is very doable. It ended up a bit fruity for my palette. IT IS VERY GOOD, just not my taste (hey, this ain't no cheerleading site). I plan to punch it up with more of the chile paste.

I had to deviate a bit from the recipe from oc. As noted elsewhere, I had trouble finding the right peppers. Thanks, Ank! I used moritas, which I think is exactly what the recipe called for (dried red jalapenos). I had to substitute dried anchos for the Anaheim. Again, thanks, dude!

Next time I would use significantly less ginger, and substitute more garlic (can you ever really have too much?). Just not a fan of ginger so much. Mayhap less lime juice as well.

All-in-all, time well spent, cow well sacrificed!

Wife thought I was an idiot up late at night shaving garlic cloves trying to convince her that this stuff is fun!

dando
11-06-06, 03:36 PM
The meat was awesome, but really, how do you ef up slow-cooking marinated roasts for 12 hours?;) Gotta love a flat roast that needs to be picked up with 3 spatulas. Neighbor still wondering what his nutty neighbor was doing flaming up a grill at 10:30 PM.:laugh:

The sauce is very flavorful and turned out very well. This was what I was looking forward to so much - my experience cooking sauces is pretty minimal. The taste? I have to admit, it needs some work for it to suit me, but this is very doable. It ended up a bit fruity for my palette. IT IS VERY GOOD, just not my taste (hey, this ain't no cheerleading site). I plan to punch it up with more of the chile paste.

I had to deviate a bit from the recipe from oc. As noted elsewhere, I had trouble finding the right peppers. Thanks, Ank! I used moritas, which I think is exactly what the recipe called for (dried red jalapenos). I had to substitute dried anchos for the Anaheim. Again, thanks, dude!

Next time I would use significantly less ginger, and substitute more garlic (can you ever really have too much?). Just not a fan of ginger so much. Mayhap less lime juice as well.

All-in-all, time well spent, cow well sacrificed!

Wife thought I was an idiot up late at night shaving garlic cloves trying to convince her that this stuff is fun!

A decent sauce from Tyler Florence that I've prepared a few times:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22789,00.html

Obviously this one calls for a different way to cook the mat, tho. Emeril has a decent recipe as well. I'll see if I can dig it up later.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
11-06-06, 07:26 PM

Next time I would use significantly less ginger, and substitute more garlic (can you ever really have too much?). Just not a fan of ginger so much. Mayhap less lime juice as well. Congratulations G., the texture sounds perfect. I can see why you would think it too fruity between the ginger and the honey. I haven't made that recipe in a long time and I clearly need to update the sauce ingredients. That's more like California suburbs sauce than Texas sauce. I'll go back and edit the page.

Ank told you right on the chiles. Dried anchos are probably better anyway.

My other comment is that if you aren't able to get those small Mexican limes you do need to dial back on the lime. Probably one normal large lime would be more than enough.

oc

oddlycalm
11-06-06, 07:40 PM
G., here's a sauce that would be better with that brisket. It's Texas Ranch Sauce out of "Smoke & Spice"

Sauce:
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 minced fresh Jalapenos
2 minced Serranos
8 cloves garlic minced
1 cup ketchup
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup strong black coffee
1/3 cup molasses
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup good chili powder
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1.5 teaspoon cumin
1.5 teaspoon salt

Preparation: In a saucepan warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chiles and sauté at medium low heat until everything has softened. Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes then allow to cool for a few minutes. Puree in a food processor or with an immersion mixer

G.
09-03-07, 08:47 PM
bump this mofo, and add it to the recipe thread, please. And sticky it. Not that I ask much...

OC's last-post sauce kicks the butt. I was going to make it this weekend, but tasks got in the way.

(next time I make it, I will kick it up just a bit. I'm not a fan of HEAT, but it was a bit too sublime.)

chop456
09-03-07, 11:03 PM
I smoked a brisket Saturday, too. :tony:

Ankf00
09-03-07, 11:27 PM
I smoked a brisket Saturday, too. :tony:

teh win. :thumbup:

Warlock!
09-04-07, 08:35 AM
Dry rubbed and smoked five racks o' baby backs roundabout 6-7 hrs on Sunday. Mopped 'em with some homemade BBQ sauce during the last 45 minutes.

Best ones I'd done so far. :cool:

Then I got cranked on bourbon. :gomer:

KLang
09-05-07, 09:01 AM
I added one of these (http://www.cookshack.com/index_product_record.php?product_id=99) to my collection this year. Perfect solution for 'lazy smoking'. Just turn it on and forget about it. :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-08-08, 04:33 PM
I now have cheapie offset from craigslist to compliment the other grills and smoker previously staying with us on the back patio. Yay, meat. :)

oddlycalm
05-08-08, 04:47 PM
I now have cheapie offset from craigslist to compliment the other grills and smoker previously staying with us on the back patio. Yay, meat. :) Congratulations on the new addition. What type of beast will you use to break it in ?

Methanolandbrats will no doubt be happy to see that the meat smoking thread lives on...:D

oc

dando
05-08-08, 04:58 PM
Methanolandbrats will no doubt be happy to see that the meat smoking thread lives on...:D

oc

Much better than the spring cleaning thread. :) :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-08-08, 05:32 PM
Congratulations on the new addition. What type of beast will you use to break it in ?

oc

:rofl:

I have yet to see a hunk of brisket at the grocers', so the brisket hunt of 2008 commences as of tonight. w/ the spare ribs I go hill country (Sunday I learned my hill country spares developed a reputation amongst the local student types the past year :eek:), but want to try some memphis style, so one of each hopefully, along with a big hunk of cow and andouille if I can get my hands on some.

p.s.: check your pm's :)

dando
05-08-08, 06:52 PM
I have yet to see a hunk of brisket at the grocers', so the brisket hunt of 2008 commences as of tonight.

If you have a Sam's, etc. locally, that's my usual supplier for a hunk of brisket or butt. Local grocers just don't carry what ya need for proper smoking matierals. :\

-Kevin

chop456
05-09-08, 01:31 AM
Don't they have one of those butcher shop thingies in Ohio? :saywhat:

Brickman
05-09-08, 02:07 AM
I only buy beef online in a few places. They ship everywhere, great customer service and sometimes you can get what others don't have.

http://www.nimanranch.com/control/category/~category_id=10000

TravelGal
05-09-08, 02:13 AM
I only buy beef online in a few places. They ship everywhere, great customer service and sometimes you can get what others don't have.

http://www.nimanranch.com/control/category/~category_id=10000

They say "Angus beef." This isn't related to that newly popular "Angus beef" cr@p that they sell in the supermarkets, is it?

Only $5 a steak between choice and prime? Sign me up!

Ankf00
05-09-08, 02:23 AM

c'mon, you've seen what they call "chili" down there, expecting it to be any different when it comes to bbq? :D

They say "Angus beef." This isn't related to that newly popular "Angus beef" cr@p that they sell in the supermarkets, is it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_cattle

cleaned out the pit then proceeded to season it, grocer had 1.99/lb spare rib special, my freezer's loaded w/ 25 lbs of piggie :tony: costco for brisket and andoulline tomorrow!

dando
05-09-08, 11:06 AM

Sure. When I have time to drive 30 min. to go to one, which I generally do quaterly for good steaks. Brisket and pork butt don't require great cuts of meat for smoking. YMMV.

-Kevin

STD
05-09-08, 12:40 PM
c'mon, you've seen what they call "chili" down there, expecting it to be any different when it comes to bbq? :D

:laugh:

TravelGal
05-09-08, 02:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_cattle[/url]

Jeebus, even Yankees know what Angus cattle are. All I asked is if what Brickman posted is related to the garbage they are selling at so many supermarkets and restaurants these days. It's a brand name. How they got it, I have no idea because it's the same as the entire type of beef.

Ankf00
05-09-08, 02:45 PM
For most Americans, beef is what eating meat is all about. Yet very few get to experience the old fashioned taste that made beef a classic -- meat from Angus based breeds grown on pasture and finished on all-vegetarian feed, the taste that characterizes Niman Ranch beef.
^^^ sounds like the breed not the brand

cameraman's been pimping niman ranch on here in the past. go for it, lady. mmmm, cow.

nrc
05-09-08, 03:25 PM
Sure. When I have time to drive 30 min. to go to one, which I generally do quaterly for good steaks. Brisket and pork butt don't require great cuts of meat for smoking. YMMV.

-Kevin

Have you checked the butcher shop at The Anderson's? They usually have some pretty good cuts of meat. No idea about smoking supplies I get my BBQ at City Barbeque (http://cityqbbq.com/).

oddlycalm
05-09-08, 03:39 PM
Anyone with a Safeway store close could check there. They have packer cut briskets in cryo bags in back, but rarely display them at the counter. I've been happy with the results the few times I've bought them.

Also, they sometimes put just the flats out, especially around the Jewish holidays, which means they have the deckle alone to sell. I asked the local store to call when they have the deckles (point) only. I like to freeze 'em then smoke several at once and make burnt ends.....:thumbup:

Normally when I do a brisket when the flat is done after 12-15hrs I'll cut off the deckle and pull the flat off the grill then put the deckle back on for another 4hrs or so until it looks like a cinder on the outside. Then I chop it and the bits of meat are crunchy and caramelized on the ends and chewy and moist in the middle.

oc

dando
05-09-08, 04:07 PM
Have you checked the butcher shop at The Anderson's? They usually have some pretty good cuts of meat. No idea about smoking supplies I get my BBQ at City Barbeque (http://cityqbbq.com/).

I've never been one to frequent The Anderson's. The location up here is a bit hidden, and just doesn't have much presence of mind. I usually go to Carfagna's for my prime meats, which isn't often these days. And yes, there's almost no need to do your own Q around here with City BBQ. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Brickman
05-10-08, 12:33 AM

Only $5 a steak between choice and prime? Sign me up!

I don't think so, or the stuff Carl's Jr has. ;)

Big Brisket (http://www.nimanranch.com/control/product/~category_id=stewing-ground-beef/~product_id=161500-91-01)

Ankf00
05-10-08, 01:27 AM
88 bucks for brisket? **** that

cameraman
05-10-08, 02:57 AM
I can also hook you up with an eight pound Boneless Jamón Iberico Bellota ham for a mere $1400-

Brickman
05-10-08, 12:32 PM
88 bucks for brisket? **** that

Look at the restaurnts they sell and ship to.

STD
05-10-08, 03:13 PM
Upscale brisket. :laugh:

Brickman
05-10-08, 03:46 PM

Yep :D

Sure beats... {kinder nicer pic}

http://www.mhinfo.com/mhi_new/images/forklift.jpg

eiregosod
05-10-08, 03:48 PM

It is national hamburger month, so get smoking

http://www.pr-inside.com/white-castle-r-celebrates-national-hamburger-r110853.htm

Ankf00
05-10-08, 05:02 PM
Look at the restaurnts they sell and ship to.

expensive brisket is like a trailer home on the french riviera.