PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Roby Dies

Chitowncartfreak
02-22-05, 07:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1997214

Those of us who grew up around Iowa City or were fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes during the early 80's will remember Reggie as one of the greatest Hawkeye football players of all time. Very sad. :(

chop456
02-22-05, 08:08 PM
43. Yikes.

It seems like he was with the Dolphins for 20 years.

Sad.

Don Quixote
02-22-05, 08:13 PM
I always thought he was a class act. Very sad. :(

Classic Apex
02-22-05, 08:40 PM
Damn.

:(

RTKar
02-22-05, 10:56 PM
43. Yikes.

It seems like he was with the Dolphins for 20 years.

Sad.

43.....Damn Yikes

Dvdb
02-23-05, 12:01 AM
"43 is much too young", says the mean whose 43rd is next month.

condolences

Winston Wolfe
02-23-05, 12:26 AM
I read the blurb on him at ESPN.

Remember he was the dude that wore a watch, so he could time hang time on his kicks ? He was the only player on the field wearing a wrist watch ! :thumbup:

Also, it says that when he went to a domed stadium, he would boom a few up in the rafters to see if he could hit the top !!!!

Ank and Cork were probably still playing with Barney when Reggie was kicking. He was certainly known for his "booming kicks".

43 is just too damn young. Sounds like he had some personal financial troubles in the recent past and went BK..... I can only imagine how much a cat like him could be pulling down now ! Cha-CHING !

Dave99
02-23-05, 01:25 AM
Bummer! :(

I was surprised to read he is ranked only ninth in yardage. Who else besides Reggie and Ray Guy could kick a football into the next area code?

redmist
02-23-05, 02:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1997214

Those of us who grew up around Iowa City or were fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes during the early 80's will remember Reggie as one of the greatest Hawkeye football players of all time. Very sad. :(

absolutly, i think he was the first all american in the fry era.

tllips
02-23-05, 09:26 AM
Bummer! :(

I was surprised to read he is ranked only ninth in yardage. Who else besides Reggie and Ray Guy could kick a football into the next area code?

The problem with yardage for punters (especially when Roby was playing) was that you also had to keep the ball out of the end zone. Remember everyone trying to punt the ball out of bounds around the one or two yard line? So, since Roby played on a pretty good team, he was probably mostly punting on a short field trying to pin the opponent inside their own 10 yd line.

He is certainly the second best punter I remember behind Ray Guy.

43 is waaaaay too young!

Ankf00
02-23-05, 10:25 AM
he's one of the 2 ppl responsible for the modern punt method

Jervis Tetch 1
02-23-05, 10:50 AM
Reggie along with Andre Tippett were the first two All-Americans under the Hayden Fry era.

I'm very saddened by this as an Iowa graduate (who had Reggie in one of my classes--he graduated a year ahead of me) and Hawk fan. I remember him being one of the most recruited players in the nation when he played at Waterloo (Iowa) East.

In addition to his punting, he started out as the Hawks field goal kicker too.

RIP Reggie. You will be remembered. :(

Steve99
02-23-05, 02:03 PM
The problem with yardage for punters (especially when Roby was playing) was that you also had to keep the ball out of the end zone. Remember everyone trying to punt the ball out of bounds around the one or two yard line? So, since Roby played on a pretty good team, he was probably mostly punting on a short field trying to pin the opponent inside their own 10 yd line.

Something I've been wondering about: when/why did the switch to the current preferred technique of having someone on the punting team down the ball the ball, intead of trying to kick it out-of-bounds?

Dvdb
02-23-05, 02:57 PM
I made the same observation a few weeks ago. When was the last time you saw a kicker go for the coffin corner?

So what happens during either the Super Bowl or a Conference Championship game?

Two punts out of bounds inside the 10.

tllips
02-23-05, 03:09 PM
Something I've been wondering about: when/why did the switch to the current preferred technique of having someone on the punting team down the ball the ball, intead of trying to kick it out-of-bounds?

I've asked the same question a number of times, and no one seems to know...

Ziggy
02-23-05, 11:35 PM
I enjoyed watching Reggie Roby punt for a long time (and I really liked seeing him punt, as I am not a fan of the Dolphins)!!!

Famous Line on Monday Night Football, somebody made a comment about the watch, and how it "took a licking and kept on ticking" and the other guy (I think Dan Dierdorf) said "he's a punter, I bet its been a few days since it took a licking"

Roby was one of the all time best punters. No question.

43 is wayyyyyy to young (my age)

RIP, you had them watching....... :thumbup: