PDA

View Full Version : Steaks

Pages : [1] 2

Ankf00
02-21-05, 09:18 PM
mmmmm, cow.

whats your favorite way to prepare a steak?

I usually just go simple with some TexJoy dry rub and a splash of rooster sauce, then toss it on the grill a half hour later, medium rare please. :)

Dr. Corkski
02-21-05, 09:25 PM
I eat them raw.

Warlock!
02-21-05, 09:45 PM
Steak-Ums. On Wonder bread.

pwn4g3.

rosawendel
02-21-05, 10:08 PM
steak?
money's too tight for steak.
steak?
right. steak.

racer2c
02-21-05, 10:14 PM
As much of a 'grill guy' that I am, I do have to admit that the best steaks I've done at home were done using the Alton Brown method. Alton is the 'foodologist' on FoodTV. His shows are informative and entertaining for those interested in such things. His approach is from that of science rather than from a food art perspective. Every tip of Altons that I've taken into the kitchen (I'm the family cook) has worked and worked very well.

Back to the steak. I prefer ribeye's or tenerloin (hold the bacon please) for this method, sirloins I still prefer on the grill.
Preheat oven as hot as it can go.
Let steak come to room temperature. Very important.
Liberaly coat each side with kosher salt. (this produces a crust.)
Heat a tablespoon of peanut oil (peanut oil has the highest smoke point) in a seasoned cast iron pan until just smoking.
Sear each side for 1 minute and thirty seconds.
Finish in the oven for two minutes (for a rare steak).
Very important, take a small plate and turn it upside down on a larger plate and let the steak rest on top for at least five minutes. This allows the excess liquids to drain while also allowing the meat to finish it's cooking (like Thanksgiving turkey. I let all my meat rest)
Top with a table spoon of drawn butter.
Enjoy. Mmm, mmm.

I'm a steak purest. Always rare. I don't like them marinated or spiced. My brother in law will buy a 17 dollar steak and lather it with cheap BBQ sauce.
:shakehead
I keep the Worschsetershire and A1 for salad dressings. :)

JoeBob
02-21-05, 10:41 PM
AB is the man!

His first book "I'm Just Here For the Food" is a great read. (Yes, it has recipes, but its more a book about cooking methods than a "cook book.") I haven't read his lastest book, "I'm Just Here For More Food" - (similar to the first, but it delves into baking) but I have a copy.

He's also a great guy. Met him at a book signing for his new book.

Back on topic, I'll take a rib eye, medium rare please. All it needs for seasoning is some kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. On the grill is nice, especially if I throw a hunk of (wet) hickory in there - lump charcoal, lit with a chimney starter only! Save the briquettes and the lighter fluid for someone else's meat. (a good trick it to grill one side until you just start to see juices gather on top of the meat - then flip it. Once you see juices start to gather on top again, pull it off the grill, rest it a few minutes, and dig in!)

When I don't feel like grilling, I use the oven method. For a steak about an inch thick, its 4 minutes on each side over HIGH heat in a heavy pan, followed by 4 minutes in a 400 degree oven. (And of course, rest it before you cut into it, unless you enjoy your steaks juices on the plate rather than in your mouth!)

Robstar
02-21-05, 11:09 PM
I'm a steak purest. Always rare. I don't like them marinated or spiced.

Same here - Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper & bring to room temp...
Super hot pan (oil the meat, not the pan) & let it rest in a warm oven...

Methanolandbrats
02-21-05, 11:35 PM
Those things will eat holes in your brain. This is good for you

http://www.tofu.com/ :thumbup:

racer2c
02-21-05, 11:40 PM
Those things will eat holes in your brain. This is good for you

http://www.tofu.com/ :thumbup:

So are those tofu brats your enjoying? ;) :D

Methanolandbrats
02-21-05, 11:41 PM
So are those tofu brats your enjoying? ;) :D
Nope http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/tolliver/tolliver_images/pork.jpg

racer2c
02-22-05, 12:02 AM
Mmm, pig. A magical animal from which comes bacon, ham, sausage and my breakfast favorite, scrapple . :)

Ankf00
02-22-05, 12:03 AM
I am pro-piggie as well.

Classic Apex
02-22-05, 12:16 AM
Mine is very simple to create.

Take any steak, any cut.

Grill it like you normally would, but take it off of your grill 2 minutes earlier than you normally would.

Take it inside and cover it in crumpled blue cheese. Throw it in the oven for two minutes under the broiler, or until the blue cheese is melted and slightly browned.

The broiler melts the blue cheese perfectly, makes the steak extra extra juicy...while the steak absorbs the blue cheese flavor.

Biggie yummy.

:cool:

devilmaster
02-22-05, 03:24 AM
mmmmmm..... steak.

I'm one of those types that, if you were eating with me, and you order a steak cooked more than rare or worse, more than medium rare, I'll be giving you dirty looks. A great steak needs nothing more than a little aging (bright red meat is NOT the way to go), some butter, olive oil and s&p.

4Runner - The next time you go to Molson Indy T.O., head to the Sheraton Centre hotel for dinner. Their restaurant, Bistro Two, has a steak that puts Armadillo to shame. (trust me, I had armadillo the night before I had Bistro 2, when i was there last month)

If you want a kick ass cheap steak, take one of those 2 dollar steaks from the grocer, and marinate it in olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic and spices (s&p, red chili flakes, onion powder). Marinate for a few hours, then grill on the bbq for no more than 1 minute per side. Makes an amazing dollar steak.

My next quest, is to find a good supplier of Wagyu beef in Canada. Thats the steak I've been dying to try. Those who know wagyu, know what I'm talking 'bout.

Steve

devilmaster
02-22-05, 03:36 AM
....scrapple.

:laugh:

I first heard about scrapple from a song by Jon Gorka, called 'People My Age' - Which is basically a song about NOT aging gracefully.

A musician friend of mine started covering it, and not knowing what scrapple was, he asked at a Folk and Blues forum we frequent, which started a great thread at The Mudcat Cafe (http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=47051).

Got to try it myself a couple years back in Baltimore, when we found this little hole in the wall breky place one morning downtown. Good stuff.

Steve

cart7
02-22-05, 05:01 AM
I'll take a nice porterhouse or ribeye, salt it and throw it on a hot grill and, to quote Tim the Tool man Taylor, flame kiss it. :D I'll need nothing more than salt to eat it along with a baked potato the size of Rhode Island.

I'll also marinate a steak in a marinade sold in the stores that a local steak house called Tuckers makes. Really good stuff. :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
02-22-05, 12:22 PM
Whenever I want a good steak I go to Ruth's Chris. When I'm in Indy it's either Mo's or St. Elmo's. Medium.

When I'm at home it's grilled to perfection with onions and a few spices and Heintz 57 sauce (not a lot, but just a little in a side dish).

To me that's Heaven, especially if there's a good side salad.

KLang
02-22-05, 12:54 PM
I've tried Alton's method with good results but I still prefer the grill. I put a bit of this BBQ spice (http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=130425&prrfnbr=138799) on the steaks while they are coming to room temperature. Then four minutes per side on the grill and a 5 minute rest under foil.

BTW here is a good mail order source Rube's Meat (http://www.rubesmeat.com/store/about-rubes-meat-company.asp) .

JoeBob
02-22-05, 01:01 PM
I'm too cheap to have tried them myself, but I've heard nothing but awesome things about Lobel's: http://www.lobels.com/ (And I've heard nothing but bad things about Omaha Steaks.)

Wally
02-22-05, 01:12 PM
Claude sauce, hickory or apple chips, medium rare. :thumbup:

http://www.claudessauces.com/brisket_sauce.htm

devilmaster
02-22-05, 01:20 PM
I'm too cheap to have tried them myself, but I've heard nothing but awesome things about Lobel's: http://www.lobels.com/ (And I've heard nothing but bad things about Omaha Steaks.)

Thanks JB. The local butcher I go to here, doesn't sell Wagyu, but he had linked me to Lobel's also. Problem is they can't sell to Canada. No way it'd get through.

Wagyu beef is the cattle used to make the famed Kobe beef. Wagyu surpasses USDA grading for prime grade. Some have compared Wagyu to foie gras. The most cooking it should recieve is rare. Any more and you have wrecked the steak. In Japan, Kobe is appaently best served raw, sliced thin over hot rice. The heat from the rice will cook the beef to perfection.

Oh yeah, good Wagyu should easily be priced over 100 dollars a pound.

Steve

JoeBob
02-22-05, 01:40 PM
Unless you shipped it to someone in Detroit, and drove it across the border.

I'm sure worse things have been smuggled through the tunnel. :D

devilmaster
02-22-05, 01:42 PM
Unless you shipped it to someone in Detroit, and drove it across the border.

I'm sure worse things have been smuggled through the tunnel. :D

You plannin on movin back to the Motor City area JB? Might be able to order an extra steak and have the group pay for it.... Call it a shipping charge. ;)

Steve

Methanolandbrats
02-22-05, 01:49 PM
All you carnivores should attend the Brazilian F1 Race and dine in a local beef bar. Or so I've told by a friend who shot the race for a German Mag. The cows just wander around and eat fresh grass, no drugs, old hay or any other crap in their diet. He said the beef was amazing and they kept bringing little samples of different cuts. He sat near Coulthard too. :D He can hardly even eat common supermarket cuts now because they suck so bad.

chicanor
02-22-05, 03:16 PM
I've got a seasoning only made in Florida that upgrades even "steak-ums" :D to filet mignon. seeing as how it's freezing where i am right now, no grilling (God i can't wait for spring).

"Lil' piggie" is the best!! pork is great no matter how ya' make it.

oddlycalm
02-22-05, 11:43 PM
Indoors: The Alton Brown method racer2c posted. Only thing that can beat it is outdoor cooking.

Outdoor: Bring the 1.5" thick ribeyes or porterhous steaks up to room temp for an hour and dust with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper just prior to grilling. I use a ceramic Kamodo Kamado Company (http://www.kamado.com/) and bring the dome temp up to 700F. Toss on a fist sized chunk of hickory or mesquite and toss the steaks on the grill. Grill for 3 minutes on each side then shut the dampers and let the steaks dwell for 10 minutes which gets to a perfect medium rare.

Low Price Alternate: Get a 1.5lb-3lb tri-tip (bottom sirloin if East of the Big Muddy). Squeeze a lime in a gallon ziplock bag and add 3 tblspn olive oil and 1 tblspn Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. Swamp Venom (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/rubs.html) Let come to room temp for 1-2hrs. Pre-heat grill to as hot as you can get it and toss on the meat. Sear for 3 minutes per side, then shut down dampers and dwell for 12-20 minutes until internal temp is 125F. Slice thin across the grain.

oc

nrc
02-23-05, 01:01 AM
Nothing fancy, just ribeye for me and filet for Grrl. Apply Lawry's black pepper season salt and slap it on the grill. Them's good eat'n.

A nice thick pork chop is good, too. Come on, grilling weather!

Ankf00
02-23-05, 01:02 AM
nothing like grilled cow to bring people together :)

SteveH
02-23-05, 01:22 AM
I had a nice filet at Coepers in Milwaukee tonight. Size of a softball, charred on the outside and pink in the middle. Potato size of a football. And beer.

Can't get much better than that.

If I'm the chef, can't beat ribeyes on the grill. even if you fcuk up you can't fcuk up a ribeye.

devilmaster
02-23-05, 02:33 AM
Come on, grilling weather!

You're not the first in this thread to say this, nrc.....

What's this I hear bout grilling weather?!? Hell, I sat out all night before the SuperBowl, smoking a nice 10 pound Boston butt. (a tweaked alton brown recipe).

If i wanna grill, I grill. Just takes a little longer to heat up the cue, thats all. :)

Steve

devilmaster
02-23-05, 02:43 AM
oh yeah, someone mentioned limes....

Carne Asada
take one or two of those cheap ass steaks......

Marinate overnight in olive oil, fresh lime juice (for 2 steaks i use 5 limes or so), tobasco, chile pepper flakes, and that package taco spice. (or use cumin, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt).

grill to medium or medium-well (only time i'll do that). Rest. Slice into thin strips, then put into soft taco flours, with your favorite taco toppings. (works really well with refried beans, Herdez of course :) )

Steve

fourrunner
02-23-05, 09:20 AM
Good Lord ... How did I miss this thread !!!

Devilmaster .... I ate at "Le Beefteque" ( I think that's how it's spelled ) in one of the big hotels, a couple years ago with Justin & Rahalnut I think I had the 10 pound Prime Rib ;) but It was fabulous !!!! :)

We did Armadillo again last year, but no Bartender Tricks this time :(

I'll definitely put Bistro Two on the list for the next trip

As far as Grillin goes ... I do it all year round also ... I just put on the Parka and fire up the Gas Grille outside ... I even have Spot Lites for night time Grillin

I like my Steaks Pittsburgh Rare, but that can border on disaster if you don't do it right. I pretty much stick to New York Strip Steaks, or a Nice Delmonico.... believe it or not COSTCO has some of the best I've had ... usually 1 1/2" thick , and nicely marbled and tender ... I usually just put McCormicks Steak Seasoning or their Montreal Seasoning ( a little spicier)on them and just throw it on the grille ... never more than medium rare !
Add Mushrooms in Butter & Wine ... A Nice Baked Potato ... and Fresh Green Beans & Ceasar Salad... and this boys in Heaven !!

cart7
02-23-05, 09:24 AM
Another year round griller here too. :thumbup:

tllips
02-23-05, 09:39 AM
I had a nice filet at Coepers in Milwaukee tonight. Size of a softball, charred on the outside and pink in the middle. Potato size of a football. And beer.

Hey! I'm going there this Saturday night! :D :D

Best steaks I've ever had. I know they have their marinate patented, but I would love to know how they make it. I know it has butter and worcheschire, but I'm pretty sure there is more.

I've been going to Coerper's every chance I get for 19yrs. They have never disappointed.

Methanolandbrats
02-23-05, 09:44 AM
Another year round griller here too. :thumbup: Yup, no reason to quit in the winter. I smoked a turkey at 10 F in a blizzard. Ya just need more charcoal :D

devilmaster
02-23-05, 12:04 PM
Good Lord ... How did I miss this thread !!!

Devilmaster .... I ate at "Le Beefteque" ( I think that's how it's spelled ) in one of the big hotels, a couple years ago with Justin & Rahalnut I think I had the 10 pound Prime Rib ;) but It was fabulous !!!! :)

Le Bifthteque is right beside Sheraton Centre, so it is the same hotel. I haven't tried it yet, but will be going there when I next get up to Toronto in late march. But I also want to try Bymark Downtown (http://www.bymarkdowntown.com/) . Its a restaurant that was featured in an episode of opening soon on Food tv Canada and Fine Living channel. Reviews say great food. A part of the episode the chef/owner talked about how he is dry aging his steaks.

Steve

oddlycalm
02-23-05, 03:01 PM
smoking a nice 10 pound Boston butt. (a tweaked alton brown recipe). :thumbup: Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Did you pull it? What kinda sauce you like?

oc

devilmaster
02-23-05, 03:24 PM
:thumbup: Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Did you pull it? What kinda sauce you like?

oc

Alton's recipe is here. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23019,00.html)

I tweaked it in the brining process by replacing some of the water with apple juice, and replacing a third of the molasses with maple syrup. (Use natural juice and real syrup. Cut a little of the molasses down if you use apple juice, because of the sugars in the juice.)

Best way to brine is the way alton describes in the episode. Put the brine ingredients in a cooler (i use a 50 qt, with a drain plug) and mix till combined. Add the butt, and then put a bag of ice on top of the butt. It'll keep it cold and submerged at the same time. Brine for at least 12 hours, longer is better.

Smoke away in your smoker for a little longer than the recipe calls for. I usually use hickory, but want to use applewood.

Let rest, and then pull it. I brought a few bbq sauces and such to parties when I make this, but usually they don't get used. The Butt is so juicy and flavorful on its own, that most just put the pork right on a bun and eat it plain. I suggest, though, topping the pork with a coleslaw. I just use shredded cabbage with a sweet vidalia onion coleslaw dressing. Nice and simple.

Steve

KLang
02-23-05, 03:43 PM
Alton's recipe is here. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23019,00.html)
Steve

Cool, I didn't know Alton had a recipe for this. I've been meaning to make time to try a butt in my new smoker.

There are others as well but http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/ is a pretty good forum for smokeheads.

mapguy
02-23-05, 03:52 PM
I usually just put McCormicks Steak Seasoning or their Montreal Seasoning ( a little spicier)on them and just throw it on the grille ...

Their Montreal Seasoning rocks. My fav marinade is as follows. (Per 2 steaks)

1/2 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
4+ teaspoons of Montreal Steak Seasoning

Marinade for a couple of hours.

Grill at medium for 5 minutes a side.

Enjoy.

oddlycalm
02-23-05, 04:15 PM
Cool, I didn't know Alton had a recipe for this. I've been meaning to make time to try a butt in my new smoker. Cool, what kind of rig did you decide on? IMO butts make good break-in cooks (the cook and the rig) as it nearly impossible to goof one up. Gives a person a good chance to get a feel for temp control and fire control without being fussy if you goof up.

Raichlen has some really good non-traditional recipes, but they are overly complex for me. Rubs or sauces with more than five ingredients aren't going to happen around here unless someone else does them... :laugh:

oc

KLang
02-23-05, 04:35 PM
Cool, what kind of rig did you decide on?

Pitts & Spitts.
http://www.pittsandspitts.com/admin/pictures/pictures_messages/Upright-pitt.jpg

I've yet to find anything usefull to do with the upright section. With the main chamber at the proper temperature the upright chamber is 75 degrees cooler (like they promised) which is too low to safely cook raw meat. But the wife wanted that one.....

I've done pork ribs a few times and brisket. All have turned out great. I've found I have trouble making time to cook things that take 8-12 hours.

tllips
02-23-05, 04:40 PM
Pitts & Spitts.
I've yet to find anything usefull to do with the upright section.

Bacon??

racer2c
02-23-05, 04:47 PM
Let's start a 'meat smoking thread'. I just bought my first one last fall and have smoked about fours things and could use some tips.

Ankf00
02-23-05, 05:25 PM
Pitts & Spitts.
[IMG]

I've done pork ribs a few times and brisket. All have turned out great. I've found I have trouble making time to cook things that take 8-12 hours.

It's called "gameday" and you generally endure by consuming cases upon cases of beer with your mates :D Or so that's how we did our brisket at school!

also: that's one expensive ass smoker! better get cracking with the butts and briskets this summer to get your money's worth :D

stroker
02-24-05, 12:31 AM
Porterhouse. Ground black pepper and garlic salt. 7 min on each side over charcoal. Salad and a baked tater. Cold beer. Sleep. Repeat.

:)

G.
02-24-05, 11:56 AM
I'm a beer guy, ok? Good beer. I do not own a cat.

With this established, I must admit, that nothing goes better with a Prime or Choice hunk of cow, lightly seasoned, on the grill, than a good Cabernet Sauvignon. I gots no fancy words to splain it, but the wine kinda cuts through the "heaviness" on the palete, making that last bite as good as the first. Or maybe I'm drunk.

Must have beer while grilling, though. No wine. Bad form. :p

KLang
02-24-05, 12:04 PM
Must have beer while grilling, though.

I tried grilling without beer once. It wasn't pretty. :gomer:

anait
02-24-05, 04:15 PM
Advice, please. :)

In about 6 weeks, we'll be buying half a...beef?...a beef half?...oh, you know what I mean. :p Any special cuts I should ask for? Last time we got several kinds of steaks, lotsa ribs, ground, roasts... I just wondered if there was some magical cut I should request. :cool:

stroker
02-24-05, 04:32 PM

In about 6 weeks, we'll be buying half a...beef?...a beef half?...oh, you know what I mean. :p Any special cuts I should ask for? Last time we got several kinds of steaks, lotsa ribs, ground, roasts... I just wondered if there was some magical cut I should request. :cool:

Two of my brothers-in-law raise cattle. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that "half-a-beef" includes a specified number and types of cuts. It's sorta like ordering half a chicken--you don't get three drumsticks and two wings, even if that's what you want.

KLang
02-24-05, 04:41 PM

I prefer the right half myself.

:gomer:

anait
02-24-05, 04:44 PM
Right, gotcha - we won't get more than what's available from that half! Last time we ordered, he did ask how we wanted to divvy up the side - and I was quite unprepared for that conversation. :) I'll dig out my Alton Brown book for his diagram of cuts...last week I pulled out steaks from the last order that, according to AB, are more commonly used by southern butchers.

Mr. Toad
02-27-05, 12:32 PM
Year round here

A flank steak last night c/w roasted garlic mashed spuds & Talus Lodi Zinfandel

30 cm (1 foot) of snow on the ground and -10° C (4° F) air temp

oddlycalm
02-27-05, 05:37 PM
Last time we got several kinds of steaks, lotsa ribs, ground, roasts... I just wondered if there was some magical cut I should request. Most mobile butchering services are limited in what they know how to do. I've tried to request that they not grind the skirt steak (carne asada), flank steak (fajitas and other dishes) and bottom sirloin butt(tri-tip) into burger, and have gotten a slack jawed blank looks in return on multiple occasions. Even if we told you to ask for cuts A, B, C, & D, the chances of your cutter knowing them by the same name is somewhere just above zero.

There is such a thing as an IMPS number for each cut, and theoretically meat cutters everywhere are supposed to know them. If you deal with one that does, you can tell them exactly what you want. Just enter the Portion Name and hit enter and it give you the cut # and descrition of where it comes from. Just tell them the cut number and they will know what to do for you. If you tell them you want an 1185C you should get a tri-tip without error every time even if the butcher doesn't recognize the regional name of the cut.
Beef Cuts - IMPS numbers (http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Default.aspx)

If you are determined to communicate with people that were not formally trained, and you wish to educate them regarding what you want, there is the Bovine Myology (http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D/eng/index.jsp) online provided by University of Nebraska. This allow you to use 3D photographic images starting with the primary cuts and stripping off layers to get to the portion cut you are after. If they cut beef they will recognize what to do.

All of this may sound silly or over the top, but considering that meat nomenclature is regional at best, and often varies even in the same region, it's important unless a person enjoys owning 50lbs. of the wrong meat. :gomer:

We have multiple examples on this very thread of ribeye (western term) and Delmonico (eastern term) terms being used to describe the same cut of beef. Same with tri-tip, hanger steak, flat iron steak, etc., etc. I got tired of being frustrated and resorted to getting specific. Since I buy from multiple sources with multiple people at each of them, including directly from farmers/ranchers through the Farmers Market, there is simply no alternative to using cut numbers and being able to direct them to the necessary resources. It's a rare business that doesn't have internet access these days. Considering the price of beef, I have a good incentive for getting it right.

oc

anait
02-27-05, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the links, oc. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
02-27-05, 06:49 PM
Well I'll be dipped. Rotating, full color hacked up cow bits in 3d. :D

oddlycalm
02-27-05, 07:22 PM
Well I'll be dipped. Rotating, full color hacked up cow bits in 3d. :D Hey, the folks at our land grant universities get to have a moment of glory once in a while that unrelated to football, right. :thumbup:

oc

Methanolandbrats
02-27-05, 07:46 PM
Hey, the folks at our land grant universities get to have a moment of glory once in a while that unrelated to football, right. :thumbup:

oc Ya, hopefully there are many moments of glory not related to football.

cart7
02-27-05, 07:49 PM
Thanks oc, plenty of readin there and a lot more about beef cuts than I ever realized. :thumbup:

CARTNUT
02-28-05, 03:22 AM
Tri-tip roast (fat on), Weber kettle, Kingsford charcoal, rare to medium rare, plate, fork, big steak knife (stolen from Outback Steakhouse in Brookfield, WI, last June, went unintentionally thru airport security in backpack!) Maybe a little S & P, but definately NO SAUCE, rubs or other spices.

Two things I've found make a big difference in taste: 1) Allow meat to come to room temp prior to grilling, and 2) Cover meat with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 20 mins prior to eating.

Enjoy with a nice Foster's... Heaven!

Sean O'Gorman
02-28-05, 10:19 AM
Enjoy with a nice Foster's... Heaven!

:saywhat:

Ankf00
02-28-05, 10:56 AM
Hey, the folks at our land grant universities get to have a moment of glory once in a while that unrelated to football, right. :thumbup:

oc
what? blasphemy :gomer:

stroker
02-28-05, 07:26 PM
:saywhat:

Sean, I think that's the first thing you and I've agreed on since I joined the board!

:rofl:

oddlycalm
03-01-05, 02:35 AM
Tri-tip roast (fat on), Weber kettle, Kingsford charcoal, rare to medium rare, plate, fork, big steak knife (stolen from Outback Steakhouse in Brookfield, WI, last June, went unintentionally thru airport security in backpack!) Maybe a little S & P, but definately NO SAUCE, rubs or other spices.

Two things I've found make a big difference in taste: 1) Allow meat to come to room temp prior to grilling, and 2) Cover meat with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 20 mins prior to eating. Yeah, tri-tip is hard to beat. Great flavor, inexpensive, and there's a lot of it. :thumbup:

I agree with the wrapping the meat in heavy foil and allowing it to rest, and 20 minutes is about right for a tri-tip to allow the juice to redistribute. Makes a big difference in the flavor. The trick is to pull them at around 125F internal and let them come up the rest of the way in the foil.

oc

Ankf00
03-01-05, 10:17 AM
what's a tri-tip? I'm ign'int.

oddlycalm
03-01-05, 06:14 PM
what's a tri-tip? I'm ign'int. Tri-tip is Cow Deluxe at a realistic price. :thumbup: :D Page 2 of this thread post # 54 (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=87208&postcount=54) has a hot links to a couple resourses. Tri-tip is a triangular cut that might be known as sirloin butt in other areas that weighs in the neigborhood of 1.5-3lbs. It's referred to as a roast, but it is tender enough to be cooked either like a steak or a oven roast and eaten rare. It's great for low & slows and grilling both. It also makes the best cut for chili IMO. A much flavor as a ribeye but not quite as tender as a sirloin.

Tri-tip comes two ways. Cut 1185D is has the fat removed. If you are making a pot of chili or doing an oven roast the cut 1185D is the one. If you are doing either BBQ or grilling you want 1185C with the fat on.
Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip Steak, IMPS/NAMP 1185C
Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip Steak, Defatted, IMPS/NAMP 1185D

While this is a cut name that's mostly found in the West, theorectically any meat cutter should know how to do a cut by the IMPS numbers. The problem is most grocery stores don't cut down their own sides of beast anymore and just stock the cooler with meat that arrives in boxes pre-cut and packaged for what some corporate purchasing manager thinks are the right cuts for your region. Warehouse stores never did cut their own meat.

Find a real butcher and I'm sure you can get a hunk for your very own personal self... :D

oc

Ankf00
07-10-06, 09:31 PM
had flat iron steak today for the first time... mmmm. cheap too!

racer2c
07-10-06, 09:48 PM

I threw a $14 dollar porter house on the grill tonight. Wasn't bad. Wasn't great. Diffinitly wasn't worth $14 bucks. I just can't get decent steak at my local grocery stores.

dando
07-10-06, 09:50 PM
Suddenly trendy. *shrug* Similiar to skirt steak or tri-tip...a bit fatty, but that just means good eats. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
07-10-06, 10:09 PM
Suddenly trendy. werd.
*shrug* Similiar to skirt steak or tri-tip... skirt's diff imo, and more expensive now due to that old fajita craze:( but f'ing great on special w/ some feta & spinach rolled up in it :)
a bit fatty, but that just means good eats. :thumbup:

-Kevinwerd :)

anait
07-10-06, 10:23 PM
mr anait grilled some rib-eyes for my birthday supper. Yummy. :thumbup:

dando
07-10-06, 10:34 PM
werd. skirt's diff imo, and more expensive now due to that old fajita craze:( but f'ing great on special w/ some feta & spinach rolled up in it :)werd :)
Flat iron = chuck, skirt = brisket....both are fatty, but diff'rent in taste.

If'n ya like dat shizzle, try a lil' sumthin' called braciole (ala Sopranos):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21953,00.html

Good eats!!!!

-Kevin

racer2c
07-10-06, 10:59 PM
mr anait grilled some rib-eyes for my birthday supper. Yummy. :thumbup:

The ribeye is still my all time favorite. Sure I may order high falooten tornados at my fovorite local French resteraunt, La Petite Auberge (yes, I'm an F1/Champ Car wine and cheese fan, snif, snif)(with an Indian pepper paste, served with the small can on the plate! Tre cool), but when I fire up the grill at home with the friends and family, I want big thick ribeyes!

There is a steak house chain, I think they are national, I know they have them in VA and FL, called Lone Star, typical peanut shell on the floor, country music, beer in a bucket place that really took off in the early 90's, but they have a Delmonico ribeye that is as tender as any filet mignon with wonderful flavor. Sure the crust of kosher salt and the big ladel of drawn butter over it contributes to it's attraction. :)

extramundane
07-11-06, 01:43 AM
I threw a $14 dollar porter house on the grill tonight. Wasn't bad. Wasn't great. Diffinitly wasn't worth $14 bucks. I just can't get decent steak at my local grocery stores.

Dunno how far you are from it, but there's a Ukrops on (I think) Route 3 near I95. God knows I crap on them every chance I get, but they do have some decent beef. Saturday evening = bargain time, since they can't be arsed to open on Sundays.

Joelski
07-11-06, 02:22 AM
My sweetie took out for my birthday to a place called Hyde Park; billed by some as the best steak in Columbus, but it was by no means a steak house. The place had valet parking, a wine book, and lots of very pricey stuff with no difference from right to left side of the menu. Needless to say, it was an event and was immensely enjoyed and appreciated by myself, as well as a pair of very good friends on thier first night out since the birth of their first child. My entree was an immense bone-in NY Strip with an excellent char on the outside, loaded with flavor and topped with lobster, portabella, and hollandaise - :heaven:

Biggie thanks to my gal Stacy for a memorable night out with good food, and great friends! I LOVE YOU BABE! :)

PS: Today, I had nasal septoplasty and can't smell or taste a thing. Back to Coke and M&M's! :gomer:

cart7
07-11-06, 07:56 AM
Guy pulled up in front of my house Saturday, he was deliverying a meat order for neighbors around the block. He's from a local butcher shop in downtown STL that has had to branch out to on-line and phone in sales w/delivery to stay in business. He has 23 lbs of nice pork loin chops, bacon wrapped filets, T's, Ribeye's, burgers patties made from ground strip and NY strips he need to get rid of. We started at $185, then down to $150 and finally $125 since I got talking to him and said I come down to his butcher shop a few times a year.

$5.30 a pound

Fired the grill up almost immediately and chowed on a couple of the NY strips, flame kissed. mmmmmmmmmm.

Warlock!
07-11-06, 08:30 AM
Guy pulled up in front of my house Saturday, he was deliverying a meat order for neighbors around the block. He's from a local butcher shop in downtown STL that has had to branch out to on-line and phone in sales w/delivery to stay in business. He has 23 lbs of nice pork loin chops, bacon wrapped filets, T's, Ribeye's, burgers patties made from ground strip and NY strips he need to get rid of. We started at $185, then down to $150 and finally $125 since I got talking to him and said I come down to his butcher shop a few times a year.

$5.30 a pound

Fired the grill up almost immediately and chowed on a couple of the NY strips, flame kissed. mmmmmmmmmm.
Hopefully you didn't get too much crap that's freezerburnt or way too old for retail sale. We get those guys all the time. Unfortunately, the last time one of 'em came around I was at the Petit Le Mans and the wife bit on it ("but I got a really good deal on it... I talked him waaaay down in price!" :rolleyes: ). All kinds of seafood... some really good, some not at all.

I'll never buy from a guy selling out of a truck who just "happens" to stop by, wanting to get rid of his payload for whatever reason.

anait
07-11-06, 09:21 AM
Our 'private supplier' raises the best beef around these here parts. :cool: :thumbup: Even the ground beef has company asking for the source...and the steaks and roasts have everyone doing the eyes-rolling-backward-in-ecstasy thing. :gomer:

cart7
07-11-06, 09:26 AM
Hopefully you didn't get too much crap that's freezerburnt or way too old for retail sale. We get those guys all the time. Unfortunately, the last time one of 'em came around I was at the Petit Le Mans and the wife bit on it ("but I got a really good deal on it... I talked him waaaay down in price!" :rolleyes: ). All kinds of seafood... some really good, some not at all.

I'll never buy from a guy selling out of a truck who just "happens" to stop by, wanting to get rid of his payload for whatever reason.

Naw, I know these guys. I actually do go down to the Soulard farmers market to his butcher shop a few times a year. Good guys with quality cuts of meat. I've never gotten bad product from them before and these are steaks they cut and vacuum pack themselves. I wouldn't buy meat like that from anyone I didn't know.

racer2c
07-11-06, 10:18 AM
Naw, I know these guys. I actually do go down to the Soulard farmers market to his butcher shop a few times a year. Good guys with quality cuts of meat. I've never gotten bad product from them before and these are steaks they cut and vacuum pack themselves. I wouldn't buy meat like that from anyone I didn't know.

We get these guys about once every other month. I've always said no but one Friday night around 9:30pm I have friends over and the spirits are flowing and my wife comes out back (we're on the deck) and says there is a guy in a pickup that wants to talk to me. He gives me a song and dance that he's up from North Carolina and he's been hocking these steaks all day and he wants to hit 95 to get home and he needs to unload. He says I'll take whatever you got. Like a bass to a shiney spinner, I bit and said "whatcha got".
He started laying his boxes out and telling me that they are "free roam" cows, vacum packed blah, blah.
There were 8, 1lb porterhouses, 12, 3/4 lb New York Strips, 12, 3/4lb ribeyes, 12, 6oz bacon wrapped tenderloins, 12, 7oz peppered "breakfast steaks" and 24, individually wrapped chopped steak hamburgers. He gave me a brochure from were the meat was supposed to have come from and his personal brouchure with ordering info and said "give me $150 and it's all yours".
I said "I have $75 bucks that's it". He said "OK".

Everyone of them sucked. I'll never do that again. But I took a chance because I can't get anything decent at my local groceries and we don't have butchers in the area. :cry:

dando
07-11-06, 12:07 PM
One steak I'd like to try, but I've never seen available in a store is a hanger steak. I think there's only one of those per cow, so they are rare to find. Butchers supposedly horde them.

-Kevin

Ankf00
07-11-06, 12:48 PM
One steak I'd like to try, but I've never seen available in a store is a hanger steak. I think there's only one of those per cow, so they are rare to find. Butchers supposedly horde them.

-Kevin
well then you now know what you need to do...

go buy yourself a whole damn cow and grill out all week :)

oddlycalm
07-11-06, 02:42 PM
One steak I'd like to try, but I've never seen available in a store is a hanger steak. I think there's only one of those per cow, so they are rare to find. Butchers supposedly horde them. The hanger steak is part of the diaphragm muscle like the skirt steak is and has that same kind of grainy texture but is a thicker piece of meat. Basically it's the same deal though; big beefy flavor and slice thin across the grain when cutting.

Traditionally butchers have taken this cut home themselves not so much because it is prized as there isn't enough supply to ever develop a market for it, but it can have good flavor if cooked and cut correctly. Also, there is a large center vein that has to be removed. No big deal for a butcher, but something average customers might not want to mess with.

Any butcher that breaks down their own carcasses can supply hanger steaks to order, but I'd not bother personally because you'll pay as much as you would for better cuts.

oc

JoeBob
07-11-06, 03:49 PM
Finding a good butcher is a very, very good thing. We're lucky here in the Twin Cities. The (James Beard Award Winning) restaurant reviewer for the local weekly "alternative" paper doesn't limit her writing to restaurants.

2005 was the year of the steaks:
The Great Steak Hunt (http://www.citypages.com/databank/26/1275/article13273.asp)

Hundred-Dollar Question (http://citypages.com/databank/26/1278/article13350.asp) (a followup to The Great Steak Hunt)

Meat Locker (http://citypages.com/databank/26/1292/article13656.asp)

If the Twin Cities have a good handful of places that can get you a Hanger Steak, most other cities will have them too... you just might have to do a little digging.

KLang
07-11-06, 03:58 PM
Hanger Steak at Lobel's (http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=25)

A little pricey at Lobel's.

dando
07-11-06, 05:16 PM
The hanger steak is part of the diaphragm muscle like the skirt steak is and has that same kind of grainy texture but is a thicker piece of meat. Basically it's the same deal though; big beefy flavor and slice thin across the grain when cutting.

Traditionally butchers have taken this cut home themselves not so much because it is prized as there isn't enough supply to ever develop a market for it, but it can have good flavor if cooked and cut correctly. Also, there is a large center vein that has to be removed. No big deal for a butcher, but something average customers might not want to mess with.

Any butcher that breaks down their own carcasses can supply hanger steaks to order, but I'd not bother personally because you'll pay as much as you would for better cuts.

oc

Our very own Cliff Klaven. ;) Thanks for the 411. I've seen these touted several of the teevee chefs, but haven't seen one on a menu or in a local shop yet.

-Kevin

racermike
07-11-06, 10:53 PM
Cooked up a great Top Sirloin the other night. BBQ is packed up ready to move, so I had to pan fry this puppy.

Start with a 22 Ounce Top Sirloin

Add a little olive oil to a cast iron pan
Sear that son of a bitch on both sides for 2 minutes, til its pretty dark, turn down heat to a 3, cover pan with another pan, let cook for 6-7 minutes. (I use a killer dry rub my neighbor concocts (wont tell me all the spices) along with some red pepper flakes, and fresh garlic cloves)

As that is cooking, I saute some Walla Walla sweet onions, and some Chantrelle Mushrooms in some Land'o'Lakes real butter.

Take steak out of pan, garnish with onions and shrooms, and eat up!

greenie
08-09-06, 12:01 AM
As much of a 'grill guy' that I am, I do have to admit that the best steaks I've done at home were done using the Alton Brown method. Alton is the 'foodologist' on FoodTV. His shows are informative and entertaining for those interested in such things. His approach is from that of science rather than from a food art perspective. Every tip of Altons that I've taken into the kitchen (I'm the family cook) has worked and worked very well.

Back to the steak. I prefer ribeye's or tenerloin (hold the bacon please) for this method, sirloins I still prefer on the grill.
Preheat oven as hot as it can go.
Let steak come to room temperature. Very important.
Liberaly coat each side with kosher salt. (this produces a crust.)
Heat a tablespoon of peanut oil (peanut oil has the highest smoke point) in a seasoned cast iron pan until just smoking.
Sear each side for 1 minute and thirty seconds.
Finish in the oven for two minutes (for a rare steak).
Very important, take a small plate and turn it upside down on a larger plate and let the steak rest on top for at least five minutes. This allows the excess liquids to drain while also allowing the meat to finish it's cooking (like Thanksgiving turkey. I let all my meat rest)
Top with a table spoon of drawn butter.

I gave this a shot over the weekend - first time I have ever cooked indoor steaks. Minus the butter though - maybe next time.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. :thumbup: Good stuff - I overshot the kosher salt a little, but I'll get it right next time. Excellent and easy way to cook steaks.

Bob_S.
08-09-06, 12:16 AM
OK, don't tell anyone and when you speak of me, say nice things. :cool:

http://www.ellatinazo.com/images/sazongoyasia.jpg

Find this stuff, there are small packets of spice in the box. Dust it over the steaks (both sides) about half an hour prior to grilling. One packet should do at least three steaks. What it does is very subtle, yet makes the beef taste a lot better.
There are other varieties. The Picante variety is new and very good.

eiregosod
08-09-06, 07:50 AM
I only trust myself cooking my steaks.

Fried the way I likes 'em! :D

I'll only buy grocery store meat when I'm marinating the stuff in goo.

too many I's. When I start a family I'll probably change my attitude :D

ferrarigod
08-09-06, 02:07 PM
Medium rare. When I make them myself, I enjoy spicy montreal steak seasoning on them. Incredible, and doesn't overpower the meat. Also like Penzey's indian terrrrrarllrlalrlly black paper on top. If you love pepper, you have to get Penzey's it is way better than store boxes, it has a kick and actually tastes good.

Wheel-Nut
08-09-06, 02:14 PM
Heifer Dust

1. 1 OZ Oregano

2. 6 OZ. Garlic Powder

3. 8 OZ. Season Salt

4. 11/2 OZ. Celery Salt

5. 3 OZ. Ground Instant Coffee

6. 3 OZ. Garlic Salt

7. 2 TBSP. Black Pepper

8. 11/2 TBSP Gumbo File

9. 2 OZ. Paprika

10. 2 TBSP Lemon Peel

11. 2 TBSP Dry Mustard

12. 1 Large Size Parsley Flakes

13. 6 OZ. Wyler’s Beef Flavor ( ground )

14. 4 OZ. Hickory Salts

15. 2 OZ. Mexene Chile Powder

16. 1 TBSP Curry Powder

17. 2 TBSP Lemon Pepper

18. 7 OZ. Minced Onion Ground

19. 4 OZ Sesame Seeds

oddlycalm
08-09-06, 08:27 PM
Can you say marbling? FWIW, here are some marbling charts for Wagyu (Kobe) beef. They are at the bottom of the page.

We experimented this summer with various Wagyu cuts, mostly because it's locally grown and easily available. My take is that while it's fork tender and very buttery, the beef flavor is not as full as I'm used to. I've tried sirloin that is 4-5 on the marbling index and some strip steaks that were 9-10. I've got some skirt steak to try next.

The big winner for us has actually been the Wagyu burger patties. While not cheap at $3 for a 1/2lb patty, they result in the best burgers any of us have ever had. I put Montreal steak seasoning on top and let them come up to ambient temperature for a 1/2hr the grill them at 600 degrees for 3 minutes a side. I toss on a slice of sharp cheddar when I pull them and install on the buns and not another thing. They can be had online here and come in frozen 2 packs.
Kobe beef online (http://www.gamemeat.com/kobe.html)

oc

devilmaster
08-09-06, 08:49 PM
I would be interested to see exactly where they get their wagyu from....

There are 2 types of wagyu in North America - whole cattle, and mix breed.

In the 70s, ***** was brought over and matched with top grades over here. More than likely, thats the beef you get when bought over here - unless you are willing to pay top dollar from a reliable seller.

The whole cattle were shipped from Japan and only a select group of ranchers have true wagyu cattle. And more often than not, they sell right back to Japan for the insane prices that true wagyu command.

KLang
08-10-06, 06:50 AM
My take is that while it's fork tender and very buttery, the beef flavor is not as full as I'm used to. [/URL]

We tried some wagyu strip steaks from Allen Brothers earlier this year and we were disappointed. Very tender but not a whole lot of flavor.

oddlycalm
08-10-06, 02:58 PM
I would be interested to see exactly where they get their wagyu from....
-snip-
The whole cattle were shipped from Japan and only a select group of ranchers have true wagyu cattle. And more often than not, they sell right back to Japan for the insane prices that true wagyu command. They get their Wagyu from Snake River Farms and KBA (Kobe Beef America) just like Lobell's does.

I agree Steve, the big Wagyu operations here in the Northwest were set up specifically to ship to Japan, but that little mad cow episode shut them off from their market, hence the Plan B to market here. US beef sales to Japan resumed last week, so we'll see where this all goes. There is also a purebred herd in Nebraska and another in Texas that is owned by a Japanese national.

We have several shops in the area that sell Wagyu beef and Kurabuta pork. The briskets I've gotten had the KBA logo on the cryovac, the burgers come in SNF boxes. Both are purebred Wagyu herds. Also, even if I didn't know anything about the seller or the herd, the only beef in the world that will make a 9-10 on the marbling index like the strip steaks we had is Wagyu.

While we were not impressed by the high priced cuts, I have high hopes for the skirt steak.

oc

devilmaster
08-12-06, 02:36 PM
I don't know how you guys usually do wagyu, but perhaps try a japanese way of doing it.

Take whatever cut you have, slice it thinly across the grain, perhaps slightly pound it for a thinner profile and then lay it raw across hot rice. The hot rice will cook the meat to a desired consistency.

Back on regular crappy north american steaks: ;)

I've gotten hooked on a homemade pepper blend.

3 part black peppercorns
1 part each white, red and green

want a little spicier? make it 2 parts white peppercorn and 4 parts black to 1 red and 1 green. Buy them at bulk stores.

So for today as an example, strip steak for brunch, a little butter smeared over both sides, sea salt, fresh cracked peppper blend. Plain omelette ala AB, and some fries.... yum :D

Ankf00
08-12-06, 03:11 PM
my next existence will be that of an ant or a cockroach. :(

cow just tastes too good :)

oddlycalm
08-12-06, 05:58 PM
Steve - Good idea on the wagyu over rice. I've got a couple stip steaks left and will try that.

I'm with you on the pepper blend and have indulged myself in a set of new grinders made for me in Texas by former U2 pilot Cozy Kline.
Cozy Crafted (http://home.texoma.net/~u2plt/index.htm)

You can see a picture of mine at the link below. I didn't direct link the picture due to size. They are kinda funky, a bit like big chess pieces, but Cozy uses premium European ceramic mechanisms so you get a perfectly even shower of whatever you're grinding. The segments are divided by ebony veneer and then the entire rough glue-up is turned on a lathe. Each grinder also has a matching coaster so you don't get pepper all over your counter.Birds eye maple w/ cherry, walnut and cocobolo bands (http://home.texoma.net/~u2plt/DSCN0002.JPG)

BTW, aside from making the kewl grinders Cozy is one of the authorities writers commonly quote on U2 history. I suspect you will get on very well with him. He and his son paricipate on the Kamado cooker forum which is where I found examples of his work.

oc

Ankf00
01-31-07, 02:52 PM
picanha. mmmmmm

http://www.cholly.com/cstuff/picanha.jpg