PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on T/A?

mapguy
01-01-03, 05:03 PM
Since the demise of I**y Lights I have always thought that he T/A cars are a bit under powered. I wasn't too crazy when they adopted the spec chassis but I have grown on the Swift somewhat. Doesn't look too bad. Especially compared to the Crapwagon Lights cars. Probably a hell of a lot safer too.

Anyway. I think that a HP boost is in order. Bring it up to about 300-400hp.

Thoughts?

Napoleon
01-02-03, 08:09 AM
Mapguy by T/A you mean Atlantics.

I think they are fine as is. An arguement could be made that they should now have more HP with the demise of the lights but realistically I think they need to be careful of cost to insure full fields.

WickerBill
01-02-03, 08:30 AM
Someone refresh my memory on HP specs right now, and what the Lights cars had. I was thinking Atlantics had 300 and Lights had 450; am I way off?

WB

mapguy
01-02-03, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill
Someone refresh my memory on HP specs right now, and what the Lights cars had. I was thinking Atlantics had 300 and Lights had 450; am I way off?

WB

I think that the Atlantics have 240 and the lights had 400-450.

Mapguy by T/A you mean Atlantics.

I figgured that if there was T/A in the title of the thread then Warlock! would stop by.... :D

Warlock!
01-02-03, 08:44 AM
:laugh: :D :laugh:

Winter Warlock!

chop456
01-02-03, 08:50 AM
I'd like to see around 350-400 also. There's not enough space between BDPS and T/A, IMO.

RichK
01-02-03, 12:48 PM
I've been lovin' the F3000 races on SPEED this winter. Maybe with all the CART/F1 talk there could be a common feeder car in the future. The F3000 cars really seem to balance HP, downforce and tire hardness very well.

RacinM3
01-02-03, 01:55 PM
I agree RichK....

T/A cars do have around 240 horses. Anyone foresee problems with today's chassis if they bump HP 100 ponies or so? Any safety issues?

Are Atlantics also in a chassis freeze for a certain amount of time?

Inquiring minds, you know. Lazy minds, too:p

RichK
01-02-03, 02:08 PM
I talked to a guy who worked for the PPI Atlantic team a few years ago. He said that the gearboxes would never stand up to the increased HP. My guess is that even the chassis is designed for a specific torque nowadays.

damiandoan
01-02-03, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RichK
I talked to a guy who worked for the PPI Atlantic team a few years ago. He said that the gearboxes would never stand up to the increased HP. My guess is that even the chassis is designed for a specific torque nowadays.

When are the current specs going to be replaced? What kind of additional costs would be involved to increase the power, chassis, etc to make atlantics a 450-550 hp series. What about going to F3000 specs?

DD

RichK
01-02-03, 04:52 PM
DD, to quote someone famous: "I don't know".

damiandoan
01-02-03, 05:03 PM
Couldn't find anything with a quick scan of the TA website...

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller,...

DD

damiandoan
01-07-03, 12:02 PM
Hellooo

:confused: .... Anyone ....

http://bobcrews.homestead.com/files/Homer__Big__URL.gif

DD

Napoleon
01-07-03, 12:39 PM
Maybe I should swing by DSTP's shop and see what is shaking.

Joe in LA
01-07-03, 01:02 PM
The swift is getting a bit long in the tooth now anyway, so if you bumpt the HP, you do a new chassis. The problem is that swifts are readily available used, so the price of entry is down a bit. New chassis and engine probably means big increase in cost. Not a good idea right now IMHO.

nrc
01-07-03, 01:06 PM
I guess the question is, when is an Atlantic car no longer an Atlantic car? The Atlantic spec existed before Toyota Atlantic came along so it's not like they can just wildly change it and still call it Atlantics. Can they?

damiandoan
01-08-03, 02:41 PM
Good Point NRC, didn't think of it really. But I think the better question isn't can they, but, Why can't they? The specs have been changed over the years, yes? How dramatic have they been? Same basic size/HP? How many people are fans because they are 250 HP? Could a new chassis with similar size specs, but holding 4-500 HP engine be designed for reasonable costs, or will the chassis have to be much larger, etc?

DD

TrueBrit
01-10-03, 05:31 PM
I LOVE T/A...Who doesn't...??

Oh!! different topic..nevermind....

TB

nrc
01-10-03, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by damiandoan
Good Point NRC, didn't think of it really. But I think the better question isn't can they, but, Why can't they? The specs have been changed over the years, yes? How dramatic have they been?

Formula Atlantic has always been 1600cc four cylindar formula cars with wings and later ground effects. Checking the patent and trademark database it seems that the SCCA owns the trademark on Formula Atlantic, so I doubt that CART can just change the spec any way they please and still calling it that.

damiandoan
01-11-03, 09:50 PM
Didn't know that, good info. 1600cc, huh? How about slapping a turbo on it? ;) :D

DD

Dr. Corkski
01-14-03, 02:54 PM
I am not sure about the weights, but the Atlantics cars are way underpowered, especially comparing to the F3000 cars. Atlantics have about 245hp, BDPS with much heavier cars at 265hp, and I think Int. F3000 is at 425hp. The owners seem to think so too, when on the rare occasion where a driver actually gets hired based on merit, the F3000 guys usually get the edge. Orsi won the Atlantics championship in 2001 and couldn't even get a test out of it. So yes, they need to beef it up.

JT265
01-19-03, 12:07 AM
Word around PMA has been that come 2005, the 0.14 Swift will four years into the cycle, and a new formula will likely surface, bring the Atlantics closer to F3000/Indy Light specs.

Who knows. Maybe MG-Atlantic?