PDA

View Full Version : the indy two-step, spin and shuffle- Or, you go, fred!

SurfaceUnits
02-20-05, 09:49 AM
George's role as team owner draws criticism
Some say purchase is conflict of interest

http://www.ibj.com/topstories.asp?A=17122
By Anthony Schoettle
IBJ Reporter

What do you think of Tony George owning an IRL team?
Click to go to IBJ's disussion forum.
http://www.ibj.com/discussion.asp

Tom Kelley had had enough.

Nine years of hunting for sponsors, recruiting and trying to retain drivers, and managing costs that had nearly doubled in recent years had taken its toll. The founder of locally based Kelley Racing shuttered his Indy Racing League team at the close of last season.

And with the close of Kelley Racing, a new era for the Indy Racing League opened. Founded in 1996 as an alternative to CART, the open-wheel racing series stepped into what IRL founder Tony George years ago called one of CART's pitfalls.

George bought Kelley's assets, marking the first involvement of IRL management or ownership in team ownership. And with the purchase, industry observers said, George bought himself a host of conflict-of-interest issues.

In 1996, George derided CART for being controlled by car owners. The apparent about-face, George said, is all about keeping Kelley's substantial assets intact. He named his 23-year-old stepson, Ed Carpenter, his driver.

George said he talked to several IRL team owners before deciding to buy Kelley's assets. But a conspicuous number of team owners and executives were either unavailable or unwilling to talk with IBJ about George's joining their ranks.

"I don't understand how he does this," said Dennis McAlpine, a motorsports analyst based in Scarsdale, N.Y. "He's opened up a closet full of all sorts of serious issues."

Among those issues is how any success George's new Vision Racing team achieves will be viewed by fans, series' corporate partners and other team owners.

"I think there will be some people with a close eye on things," said Ron Hemelgarn, an IRL team owner since the series' early days. "I don't see a problem as long as there's no favoritism. I suppose there could be an issue with an appearance of favoritism."

Robin Miller, a motorsports columnist and longtime Tony George critic, was less charitable in his assessment.

"Tony has said everything has to be above board," Miller said. "You mean like the 2002 Indianapolis 500 when Paul Tracy won and [George] gave it to Penske?"

In 2002's Indianapolis 500, Tracy--an ardent CART supporter--passed Team Penske's Helio Castroneves with less than two laps to go. But upon review, IRL officials said Tracy passed Castroneves under the yellow, and declared Castroneves the winner. George made the final decision.

There's also the issue of George's choosing engine and chassis manufacturers and other suppliers for his team. Currently, George will continue Kelley's program of using Toyota engines and Dallara chassis.

But industry observers question if George will wrap future negotiations with engine, chassis and other parts makers for the series into decisions for his team.

"Wouldn't it appear to be something of a league endorsement if Tony George is choosing a certain supplier?" McAlpine said. "This isn't just any team owner here. You would have to wonder what weighed on those decisions."

Then there's the matter of George's chasing sponsors, while his league and other teams are hurting for cash and sponsors.

"Tony George has put himself in direct competition with the teams that supported his series," Miller said. "He's now competing with the little guys he's supposed to be supporting. These were the exact people he was supposed to be giving opportunities when he founded this series."

Terms of the buyout were not disclosed, but estimates place George's cost at $5 million to $7 million annually to finance the team. He's made a three-year commitment. If he decides to invest substantially more, that would mean another deep-pocketed owner for smaller teams to battle, tipping the level playing field George said he sought to create when he formed the league, Miller said.

IRL spokesman Fred Nation said there's always tension between the league and teams going after a limited number of sponsors. But Nation doesn't think George's becoming a team owner will exacerbate the situation.

As for George's choice of suppliers, Nation said those decisions will be made separate from league matters.

"[Tony] is like any other team owner," Nation said. "He will make decisions based on what he feels is the best deal for his team. I wouldn't think anyone would view what Tony George chooses as any more important than Roger Penske or Eddie Cheever or any other team owner."

"He controls the entire league and everything about it," McAlpine said. "Of course his operations and decisions will be viewed differently, if not internally, then certainly by those outside IRL's inner circle."

While league administrators and presidents are usually kept out of team ownership in North America's most popular stick-and-ball sports, there is some history of such arrangements in motorsports.

Formula One czar Bernie Ecclestone formerly had a piece of team ownership, and the France family, which runs NASCAR and the Grand Am series, has been involved in Grand Am teams. CART is perhaps the best example. During the 1990s, car owners composed the majority of CART's board of directors. Today, CART--now called Champ Car--is dominated by teams owned by the series' principals.

"It's not that uncommon in today's environment in motorsports," George said during a press conference to announce the formation of his team. "Any instance you can think of, there's someone who has a leadership role or an ownership role in a series who helps support it, even to the extent of fielding a team, or driving."

George, who formed the IRL to give American drivers a better shot at open-wheel racing, has taken another step toward re-creating the CART series he criticized, McAlpine said.

"You begin to wonder if he wouldn't have been better off forming a team in the first place and giving American drivers an opportunity under the CART umbrella," McAlpine said. "You could certainly argue the sport would have been better off that way."

Dennis Reinbold, owner of Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, one of the IRL's success stories, said he is optimistic about Vision Racing's inclusion in the series this year.

One thing most owners agree on is the league can't let another team fold, and George's buying out Kelley adds another car--maybe two--to the grid. There are 22 cars set to start the series opener March 6 at Homestead, Fla., which is roughly the number of full-time cars the IRL had last season.

"I would be very concerned if I didn't have the confidence Tony has the ability to separate his duties to run the series and the duties to run his team," Reinbold said. "It's good to have another strong, full-time team in the series, and I'm happy to see Ed Carpenter get a full-time ride."

Carpenter drove last year for Eddie Cheever, but fared poorly during his rookie season, finishing 16th in the series.

The league could get a favorable publicity bounce from George's emergence as a team owner, McAlpine said. But the biggest upside, industry insiders said, is George will get firsthand experience with problems faced by team owners.

"I think Tony will see a different side of racing as a team owner that he's never seen before," said Hemelgarn, whose team won the 2000 IRL championship. "If he can marry the things he knows from operating the league with what he will learn as a team owner, I think that will really open his eyes and be good for all of us in open-wheel racing." :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
More Writers join in

Indy offers little to wave flag about
With only 20 in series, field in Indianapolis could be difficult to fill
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3048090

pchall
02-20-05, 12:10 PM
"It's not that uncommon in today's environment in motorsports," George said during a press conference to announce the formation of his team. "Any instance you can think of, there's someone who has a leadership role or an ownership role in a series who helps support it, even to the extent of fielding a team, or driving."

So, just how different are things now from 1994? What a schmuck.

BTW, will either of the Japanese manufacturers actually pay Tony George to run a couple of cars or is this just another US$10 or $12 million out of the IMS accounts?

Ziggy
02-20-05, 12:23 PM
Kudo's to Mr. Anthony Schoettle for having taken the time to write this article

We all know about the meeting in Houston where Mr. George made his play for the purchase of CART back in the early 90's. They told him to take a hike, and the Inbred League was born.

Tony already had one vote on the board. He could have bid his time and snapped up the lesser teams as they ran into financial difficulty. Simon, Euromotorsports etc. With each team purchased, came the much needed vote. Dont forget he had the Indy 500 and it's TV contract as his biggest ****. Instead of flushing the entire sport in one fell swoop, he could have gained an advantage and put his money where his mouth was (buy putting Americans, or drivers the fans could identify with) in the cars while the take over process was in motion, thus building his much ballyhooed vision without eroding the sport into the joke it has become today.

He's an idiot. His vision standards are right up there with a mole's

DaveL
02-20-05, 12:24 PM

Better known as the "Everyone else is doing it" defense. I'm trying to think of which France family owned car is in the Daytona 500 today....nope can't think of one. Ok, which France family owned car was in the Rolex 24....nope can't think of one. Ok ok, I know Eccelstone owns an F1 team....or maybe not.

Oh, I get it now! Several cars in the CCWS are owned by the owners of the series. Thaaaaat's it. So because of that, it's ok for Idiotgrandson to do it.

Never mind that car owners running the series was supposed to be have the anathema that led to the formuation of the Earl in the first place.

Racewriter
02-20-05, 01:43 PM
Better known as the "Everyone else is doing it" defense. I'm trying to think of which France family owned car is in the Daytona 500 today....nope can't think of one. Ok, which France family owned car was in the Rolex 24....nope can't think of one.

Actually, J.C. France (Jim's son, I think) is a co-driver on the Brumos team, and it's not a big step to think that the Brumos team has some France money involved.

But your point remains. I think a lot of people remember the "Carpenter 100" at IMS a few years ago.

Spicoli
02-20-05, 01:44 PM
Holy Flyin Fred Nations, Batman.

As I have said before, you just cannot make this crap up. Desperate moves for a desperate man and his Vision.

Good luck FTG :thumbup:

Spicoli
02-20-05, 01:53 PM
Actually, J.C. France (Jim's son, I think) is a co-driver on the Brumos team, and it's not a big step to think that the Brumos team has some France money involved.

But your point remains. I think a lot of people remember the "Carpenter 100" at IMS a few years ago.

And that put him in the History books with Ray Haroun & Mike Shoemaker and whoever won the first Hickyard Foh-Hunnert. Ed Crapender should be embarrassed. But let's hope that FTG is at least gettin some from his momma.
:thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
02-20-05, 02:00 PM
wilke and dependers, the first to voice their support for TIG

http://www.ibj.com/discussion.asp

Spicoli
02-20-05, 02:12 PM
Ohhh Jeebus is that funny,,,,,plastic,,,

:rofl:

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-20-05, 02:17 PM
Desperate people do desperate things. Tony sees his dream falling apart. he is stepping up to do what he can to ensure that the dream remains alive. Now, don;t anyone pay attention that the series is dominated by foreign drivers now. don;t anyone pay attention to that it is not an oval only series. don;t anyone pay attnetion to the costs of driving in the series. Don;t anyone pay attention to the fact that a lot of long time teams can no longer afford to run in the series. Oh, and don;t anyone pay attention to the fact that it will be very difficult to actually have a bump day at indy this year.

tony, I am glad that your dream has been fulfilled.

dando
02-20-05, 02:55 PM
This is in complete agreement with Mr. George's original Vision. Series owners should not be team owners, but the League owner can and should be a team owners. No change here.

Classic! Four gomers!! :gomer: :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

-Kevin

meadors
02-20-05, 03:56 PM
Classic! Four gomers!! :gomer:

-Kevin

Thats gotta be somewhere in the top 10 stupid gomer comments.
:saywhat:

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-20-05, 04:21 PM
Hmmm,

Series owners as in OWRS or CCWS? League owners as in IRL?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited for the following:

please forgve my ignorance here. Guess i need to be edumacated :gomer:

What is the difference between a racing series and a racing league?

Spicoli
02-20-05, 04:34 PM

Oh, about 300 million bucks.
:thumbup:

j_d
02-20-05, 05:17 PM
I was having lunch with our usual Sunday lunch crowd and there was a guy there who does follow CCWS among other racing circuits. He was telling me that one of the partners in his law firm who is a big IRL fan had told him that CCWS was going down the tubes, that there was a huge problem in the CCWS with engine leasing and that the IRL was trying to keep the Brazillian drivers from taking over American racing.

I just looked at him with my mouth hanging open for a minute, then replied, "If you want me to step up to the plate, don't just throw slow pitches right down the middle." Then, I cleaned his friend's clock, so to speak.

It was some pre-season fun.

By the way, someone said there was a race this weekend somewhere? Hmm, hadn't heard anything about it.

Spicoli
02-20-05, 05:58 PM
I was having lunch with our usual Sunday lunch crowd and there was a guy there who does follow CCWS among other racing circuits. He was telling me that one of the partners in his law firm who is a big IRL fan had told him that CCWS was going down the tubes, that there was a huge problem in the CCWS with engine leasing and that the IRL was trying to keep the Brazillian drivers from taking over American racing.

I just looked at him with my mouth hanging open for a minute, then replied, "If you want me to step up to the plate, don't just throw slow pitches right down the middle." Then, I cleaned his friend's clock, so to speak.

It was some pre-season fun.

By the way, someone said there was a race this weekend somewhere? Hmm, hadn't heard anything about it.

Depender says we have to "evolve" with the sport. Perhaps your pal is not done "evolving" yet. :gomer:

nrc
02-20-05, 08:12 PM
Instead of flushing the entire sport in one fell swoop, he could have gained an advantage and put his money where his mouth was (buy putting Americans, or drivers the fans could identify with) in the cars while the take over process was in motion, thus building his much ballyhooed vision without eroding the sport into the joke it has become today.

Yep, I could dig out posts from 1994 where I said exactly that.

NismoZ
02-20-05, 10:36 PM
Is it just me or do ANY of you worry about PKV having an "unfair advantage" or "more equal" engines from Cosworth? Never crossed my mind. Heck, he can hire Michael Schumacher if he is able, but use his position to slant things in his favor? I have no fear he'd do that. I think TGs move was a defensive one as series owner not done from any great desire to be a winning team owner. I'm sorry if that sounds like a defense, but with his chosen team and driver how the hell can he ever hope to challenge, let alone win? No, it's just 2 more cars on the grid. Period.

Ed_Severson
02-21-05, 12:55 AM
"He will make decisions based on what he feels is the best deal for his team. I wouldn't think anyone would view what Tony George chooses as any more important than Roger Penske or Eddie Cheever or any other team owner."

I gotta hand it to ya, Fred ... you hit the nail on the head with this one. We don't give a damn bit of difference what any of those *******s do. :thumbup:

Winston Wolfe
02-21-05, 01:01 AM
Is it just me or do ANY of you worry about PKV having an "unfair advantage" or "more equal" engines from Cosworth? Never crossed my mind. Heck, he can hire Michael Schumacher if he is able, but use his position to slant things in his favor? I have no fear he'd do that. I think TGs move was a defensive one as series owner not done from any great desire to be a winning team owner. I'm sorry if that sounds like a defense, but with his chosen team and driver how the hell can he ever hope to challenge, let alone win? No, it's just 2 more cars on the grid. Period.

Keep reachin' N-Z.... that's another stretch of epic proportions.

TG's move is simply a desperate reach. It doesnt get the league closer to 33, and it doesnt get him even a mid-pack driver, or probably even an "B" motor from F-TRD.... it just placates him, his wife, and his ego... which is pretty much what he has been doing since he formed the damn league.

Field filler at best, with limitations in every direction. Nothing more, nothing less.

spinner26
02-21-05, 10:35 AM
Robin Miller, a motorsports columnist and longtime Tony George critic, was less charitable in his assessment.

"Tony has said everything has to be above board," Miller said. "You mean like the 2002 Indianapolis 500 when Paul Tracy won and [George] gave it to Penske?"

Nuff said.

NismoZ
02-21-05, 10:36 AM
Nah, no reach at all. In fact I think we totally agree. Field filler at best. I just think many of you are giving him way TOO MUCH credit for attempting something devious or evil. Just dumb!

Methanolandbrats
02-21-05, 10:54 AM
Nah, no reach at all. In fact I think we totally agree. Field filler at best. I just think many of you are giving him way TOO MUCH credit for attempting something devious or evil. Just dumb! FTG is a megalomanic. In his mind he's right, everyone else is wrong, so naturally when he owns all 33 entries in the 500, the World will be a better place. He is obviously incapable of rational thought or he would have pulled the pin on this disaster years ago.

pchall
02-21-05, 11:40 AM
Hmmm,
Series owners as in OWRS or CCWS? League owners as in IRL?
Edited for the following:

Please forgve my ignorance here. Guess i need to be edumacated :gomer:

We'd have to cut the tenderloin very fine to find the gomer :gomer: distinction here. In customary usage a "league" is composed of franchised owners of teams. A "series" is a united group of events. Alas, it takes an honorary advanced degree from Indiana State to understand the how the Indy Racing League got named when it was formed to correct the evils of the PPG Indycar World Series... especially when the IRL was a series and CART always a league! :rolleyes:

Jag_Warrior
02-21-05, 12:19 PM

So, just how different are things now from 1994? What a schmuck.

BTW, will either of the Japanese manufacturers actually pay Tony George to run a couple of cars or is this just another US$10 or $12 million out of the IMS accounts?

Doesn't really matter. The Gomeretti used to claim that Lil Anton was richer than Bill Gates and God put together.

Just youse guys wait & see. Tony has a plan. He's just playing stupid and incompetent. Any season now, his plan will be revealed and CCWS will be crushed, along with NASCAR and F1. All at once... just youse wait & see!

Man, these pain killers are good. :gomer:

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-21-05, 08:14 PM
pchall,

thank you for clearing that up for me, lol.

TorontoWorker
02-22-05, 10:02 PM
Doesn't really matter. The Gomeretti used to claim that Lil Anton was richer than Bill Gates and God put together.

Just youse guys wait & see. Tony has a plan. He's just playing stupid and incompetent. Any season now, his plan will be revealed and CCWS will be crushed, along with NASCAR and F1. All at once... just youse wait & see!

Man, these pain killers are good.

Freakin classic Jag :thumbup:

Winston Wolfe
02-23-05, 12:29 AM
Man, these pain killers are good. :gomer:

Dood, quit jonesin' the damn bottle and pass 'em this way....

:D