PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe, F1 and CART?

racer2c
02-24-03, 04:53 PM
I saw some interesting comments that Gerry wants to take CART private and merge it somehow with F1.

I don't have a link.

I wonder what sort of merge this would be? F2? Formula USA

It appears that some in CART would like some backing in the battle against the Sagamore and the France Mafia.

mnkywrch
02-24-03, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
It appears that some in CART would like some backing in the battle against the Sagamore and the France Mafia.

That makes sense, but with the rumblings the manufacturers are making... will they pick the right side?

I'm not sure that Bernie's empire doesn't crumble when Bernie dies. (Unless he really did make that deal with the devil.) Who steps in - Mosley? Gah, that's even worse.

I'm also afraid that Bernie doesn't really care about CART, he just wants a Plan B in case the manufacturers do start their own series. I mean, is Bernie going to help CART fund a promotional campaign? Will he help send sponsors CART's way?

What does CART gain by possibly becoming the European IRL (in comparison to F1)?

But I can see plenty of things it could lose - the natural terrain circuits, the ovals... basically, it would cease being a North American series; it would become an international series.

I'm selfish; I LIKE CART being a North American series. I don't want to have to wake up at 7am to watch all the races. I don't want the lack of coverage that comes with being overseas.

racer2c
02-24-03, 05:22 PM
I agree. Good points.

There is too much 'gray' area (I guess I should spell that 'grey' in the context of the issue) in so much as where they would race, how they would be marketed, 'official ladder series status' etc.

Very interesting.

racer2c
02-24-03, 05:26 PM
As for Gerry's comments about taking CART private, does he mean he would buy CART out or a group or some other individual.

What was Gerry a proponent of? Turbos? NA? V10's? No ovals?

I just can't picture BE buying CART. *shiver*

JoeBob
02-24-03, 05:36 PM
I'd love to see CART become "F1 West" but I don't see that happening. What I do see happening is F1 being a European series that makes stops on the other continents, while CART becomes F2 (or F1 1/2 as Mario Andretti called CART), a North American series that makes stops on the other continents.

I think Bernie sees CART as three things. First and foremost, it is "Plan B" in case the F1 manufacturers bail.

Second, it is his latest attempt to build a fanbase in the U.S. I think it is pretty clear that the F1 drivers Americans have followed most have been Andretti, Villeneuve, Zanardi and Montoya. All 4 took a portion of the fanbase they developed in CART with them to F1.

Third, it is a money maker. F3000 isn't a stand-alone series, so it isn't a money maker. CART is able to headline its own events, and can make money.

So, he's got a source of income, a way to build exposure for his golden goose in North America (which sponsors and manufacturers demand) and a series capable of awarding the WDC, should the F1 gang bail.

mnkywrch
02-24-03, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
So, he's got a source of income, a way to build exposure for his golden goose in North America (which sponsors and manufacturers demand) and a series capable of awarding the WDC, should the F1 gang bail.

True enough.

But would the public in Europe accept CART?

Would they stay with Bernie's series or with the manufacturers?

I guess I'd see any F1 split... the manufacturers would be CART, Bernie would be the IRL.

Which way would the tracks go - with Bernie or with the manufacturers? If the tracks went with the manufacturers I don't see how Bernie makes it.

JoeBob
02-24-03, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Which way would the tracks go - with Bernie or with the manufacturers? If the tracks went with the manufacturers I don't see how Bernie makes it.

The FIA has a lot of pull when it comes to secondary events that the tracks hold. That is probably enough to keep some on board. Then there's the tracks that Bernie and friends control, either directly and indirectly.

And then there's the Pook factor. One thing he's getting quite good at is not having to rely on track owners at all. Do you have city streets, an airport, or a bunch or parking lots around an arena? Great, we'll race there!

MightySurfClam
02-24-03, 05:59 PM
I can see what CART needs and would get from F1, but how would F1 benefit? We're talking about a series tat has more viewers for 16 qualifying sessions than the entire CART and NASCAR race seasons combined

Ziggy
02-24-03, 06:02 PM
Well, they would get Tenderloins, of course

Ziggy

mnkywrch
02-24-03, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
The FIA has a lot of pull when it comes to secondary events that the tracks hold. That is probably enough to keep some on board. Then there's the tracks that Bernie and friends control, either directly and indirectly.

True, but can they flex their muscles without getting in trouble with the EU?

And then there's the Pook factor. One thing he's getting quite good at is not having to rely on track owners at all. Do you have city streets, an airport, or a bunch or parking lots around an arena? Great, we'll race there!

To the detriment of the series, if you ask me...

nrc
02-24-03, 06:13 PM
Link to story. (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam030223/car_tor2-sun.html)

So was the 7G "rumor" taken from this story without attribution?

nrc
02-24-03, 06:27 PM
I find it odd that Forsythe would go public with this. If he's making a case to Bernie to buy CART, why not stay quiet about it, convince him to go along and hope for another dip in the price following CART's next financial statement to set the stage for a buyout? Talk of a possible Eccelstone buyout can only help support the price.

It's possible Forsythe is just keeping that story in the mix to support his own share price, but I think he really believes in the private company direction. Maybe he doesn't care about the price because he knows if Bernie wants it the price won't be an issue, but it's also possible that he's trolling for partners in this venture and dropping Bernie's name as bait.

I'm not interested in an American F1 series. I am a ChampCar fan and the more ChampCar becomes like F1 the more I lose interest.

lone_groover
02-24-03, 06:54 PM
I don't know how good it would be for CART in the long run, but it would make me feel real good for Tonholio to lose the USGP after next year.

That will probably happen anyway, but this way, it would play more like a defeat for Anton in the press. I think.

FTG

:)

nrc
02-24-03, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
I don't know how good it would be for CART in the long run, but it would make me feel real good for Tonholio to lose the USGP after next year.

If I were Pook I would be suggesting to Bernie the possibility of a CART support race with the USGP to help prop up the attendance there or give him the option of a shared USGP in Chicago on the weekend of his choice (ideally in May).