PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Gordon Futility Thread

DaveL
02-17-05, 05:29 PM
Ok, this may be a one time thing but thanks to the brilliant new qualifying format Gordon finished 7th in his qualifier and is going home. Last year he would have started 16th.

Nice to NASCAR rewarding the best cars :rolleyes:

(Note: This is a more a critique of the ridiculous new qualifying format than Gordon. There are few other cars going home this year that would have been in the race under the old format.)

Wheel-Nut
02-17-05, 05:38 PM
I was listening to his radio on the web. He wasn't a happy camper. He had a respectable showing even after blowing a rear tire, although "the mini-big one" helped him gain a few spots back.
http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/02/17/duel2_wreck/wreck11.jpg

dando
02-17-05, 06:44 PM
No worries. They'll just change the quals format after a coupla races. NASCAB takin' a page outta the FTG DIY Racin' Improvement book. :shakehead

Oh, and Harvick is a moron! :flame:

-Kevin

Racewriter
02-17-05, 07:01 PM
Maybe Robby should have shown up with a legal engine...

DaveL
02-17-05, 07:20 PM

And with a legal engine a one-off or new team can qualify 5th quick, finish 3rd in the qualifying race, and go home.

Good system.

Racewriter
02-17-05, 07:44 PM
Didn't say the system was good. I don't particularly like it. But, when your engine is so illegal that NASCAR confiscates it from pan to intake, you lose the right to complain.

DaveL
02-17-05, 07:47 PM
Didn't say the system was good. I don't particularly like it.

Then we are agreed. My beef was totally with the absurd Hippodrome qualifying system.

Wheel-Nut
02-18-05, 10:15 AM

What was illegal about his engine? When did it get confiscated?

Racewriter
02-18-05, 10:41 AM
What was illegal about his engine? When did it get confiscated?

Intake manifold and the heads were deemed to be illegal. Originally, they were going to be confiscated, but I've heard since that the entire engine was pulled. That suggests more tomfoolery.

He was busted on initial pre-qualifying inspection.

BTW - it's a Menard engine...

Methanolandbrats
02-18-05, 10:54 AM
BTW - it's a Menard engine... Menard Engine :rofl: The Crooked Lumber Baron screwing together race motors.....now that's funny.

racer2c
02-18-05, 10:59 AM
Menard Engine :rofl: The Crooked Lumber Baron screwing together race motors.....now that's funny.

The Crooked Lumber Baron screwing together crooked race motors. :)

Wheel-Nut
02-18-05, 11:04 AM
Intake manifold and the heads were deemed to be illegal. Originally, they were going to be confiscated, but I've heard since that the entire engine was pulled. That suggests more tomfoolery.

He was busted on initial pre-qualifying inspection.

Menards engine - :shakehead

Isn't the consensus in the NASCAR garage that it's not cheating unless you get caught? Surely Robby knows the rules on engines, could he be getting a closer look from NASCAR due to any past confrontations with NASCAR?

Accipiter
02-18-05, 11:49 AM
Oh, and Harvick is a moron! :flame:

It has been proven.

chicanor
02-18-05, 12:36 PM
hhhmmm... Last year he loses his ride with his team, now he can't even make it in the Daytona 500. i think they're trying to tell you something Robby... you're an idiot and they don't want you.

Racewriter
02-18-05, 02:42 PM
Menards engine - :shakehead

Isn't the consensus in the NASCAR garage that it's not cheating unless you get caught? Surely Robby knows the rules on engines, could he be getting a closer look from NASCAR due to any past confrontations with NASCAR?

No.

That's a fairly outdated viewpoint. Certainly, there are still those who attempt to "creatively interpret" the rules from time to time (as they do in every other racing series), but the inspectors have gotten so good that stuff just isn't going to get by. Especially not an entire freakin' engine.

I don't think NASCAR particularly cares whether Robby and Mr. Menard are there or not...

Wheel-Nut
02-18-05, 02:48 PM
^^^ That's not what one guy said on NBS 24/7 last year. Something like - Its our job to cheat and their job to catch us.

cart7
02-18-05, 03:17 PM

Oh well. It would've blown on about the 3rd lap creating another big one. I guess the chosen 35 are safe from him for at least one week.
:gomer: