PDA

View Full Version : Star Mazda bails from St. Pete

RusH
02-17-05, 09:51 AM
Weel well well, what now Tonie?

http://www.starmazda.com/

Wheel-Nut
02-17-05, 10:14 AM
That's probably a good thing. The Star Mazda cars might have better lap times than an irl car!! :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
02-17-05, 10:19 AM
Just drag out 20 of these for a support race :thumbup:

http://www.foytracing.com/AJFoyt/photos/indy61.jpg

racer2c
02-17-05, 10:45 AM
What, won't they let their IPS kids off the ovals?

Don Quixote
02-17-05, 11:07 AM
So, what's the real, behind the scenes story here?

Don Quixote
02-17-05, 11:23 AM
Check out this exciting weekend schedule! :laugh:

schedule (http://www.gpstpete.com/schedule.cfm)

chop456
02-17-05, 11:26 AM

Firestone Named Official Tire of the Honda G.P. of St. Pete (http://www.gpstpete.com/news.cfm/title/FIRESTONE%20NAMED%20OFFICIAL%20TIRE%20OF%202005%20 HONDA%20GRAND%20PRIX%20OF%20ST%20PETERSBURG/flag/2/id/30)

:rofl:

Don Quixote
02-17-05, 11:30 AM
Long Beach officials please note: This could be your race. :thumdown:

Michaelhatesfans
02-17-05, 11:35 AM
This seems kind of last minute and makes the weekend look pathetic (well, more pathetic than it already was). How much of Mazda does Ford own again?! :laugh:

mueber
02-17-05, 11:37 AM
How long is the term of the Gomer League contract with St. Petersburg? It seems to me that Champ Car ought to keep an eye on this and be ready to make a proposal to replace them at the earliest opportunity.

Methanolandbrats
02-17-05, 11:39 AM
:thumbup: Great fun to watch the enemy die a slow, painful death :rofl: Is FMA the promoter of this thing? Sure hope he doe'snt lose a lot of money :D

racer2c
02-17-05, 11:56 AM
I hope the ass city board dude who jumped on the IRL banwgon (against the mayors plea) enjoys the 'show', along with the three people who show up.

:thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
02-17-05, 12:03 PM
The Gran Pricks is gonna make for fine television comedy :D I'm looking forward to it almost as much as the F1 season opener :rofl:

NismoZ
02-17-05, 12:29 PM
My understanding of the "real" reason for this is the same as when the series chose to disengage from ChampCar. They really aren't interested in racing in temporary "concrete canyons." Star Mazda believes in developing a drivers "road racing" skills (their words), thus the "top notch venues" quote from their announcement. I know many of you take joy in the move as further indication of the JRL's demise, but I don't believe that is the case. Did you believe the same thing when Mazda chose not to maintain the ChampCar connection? I took them at their word. They want better (safer?) tracks. Those kids spin a lot, and the $$ damage alone from smacking the cement might be reason enough to look for another place to race. Please do not draw ANY CC/JRL bias conclusion from my opinion here...there isn't one.

Winston Wolfe
02-17-05, 12:39 PM
My understanding of the "real" reason for this is the same as when the series chose to disengage from ChampCar. They really aren't interested in racing in temporary "concrete canyons." Star Mazda believes in developing a drivers "road racing" skills (their words), thus the "top notch venues" quote from their announcement. I know many of you take joy in the move as further indication of the JRL's demise, but I don't believe that is the case. Did you believe the same thing when Mazda chose not to maintain the ChampCar connection? I took them at their word. They want better (safer?) tracks. Those kids spin a lot, and the $$ damage alone from smacking the cement might be reason enough to look for another place to race. Please do not draw ANY CC/JRL bias conclusion from my opinion here...there isn't one.

CONJECTURE, your honor.... pure conjecture.

Paste a link, por favor. :rolleyes:

Railbird
02-17-05, 12:45 PM
I believe he's thinking about Formula BMW.

RichK
02-17-05, 12:57 PM
Is FMA the promoter of this thing?

Believe it or not, BARRY GREEN (yes, the guy who got screwed at Indy along with PT) is promoting this race with Honda. Yen talks, I guess.

Michaelhatesfans
02-17-05, 01:02 PM
So why schedule the race in the first place? Surely they didn't just realize that the track is a street circuit?

RichK
02-17-05, 01:03 PM
Star Mazda never had an agreement with Champcar or CART, although they did do a few weekends with them. As Railbird pointed out, NismoZ must be referring to F-BMW.

Accipiter
02-17-05, 01:35 PM

Now thats some real bang for your buck!

FCYTravis
02-17-05, 01:53 PM
:breathes a sigh of relief:

Thank God we won't have to support those POSes.

indyfan31
02-17-05, 02:57 PM

No kidding, it's "only" $75 for a Sunday ticket. Talk about ROI, Wilke should absolutely in a lather about this one.

cheesewhiz
02-17-05, 03:00 PM
Just drag out 20 of these for a support race :thumbup:

http://www.foytracing.com/AJFoyt/photos/indy61.jpg

I don't care for the driver but the car sure is nice!!

Wheel-Nut
02-17-05, 03:03 PM
^^^ Should I know who the driver is?

Ozarkian
02-17-05, 03:09 PM
I figger those Star Mazda folks just started smellin' somthin' that rang of onion gum ...

mueber
02-17-05, 03:36 PM
I hope the ass city board dude who jumped on the IRL banwgon (against the mayors plea) enjoys the 'show', along with the three people who show up.

:thumdown:

Was the mayor supportive?

I got the sense from his remarks at the real St. Petersburg Grand Prix that he has some idea what is going on. I sent him a brilliant ;) letter in support of Champ Car during the reorganization/bidding process. I'm sure it had a great deal of impact on his thinking.

More importantly, if he is on our side, someone in marketing ought to be on it. Canceling the event last year was not helpful to St. Petersburg, and we need to acknowledge that as well.

Easy
02-17-05, 03:56 PM
30 some Star Mazdas in a concrete canyon had serious potential for the parts suppliers. Probably dropped at the teams' request. The last thing you want to do on a tight budget is race a street circuit.

or an oval.

trauma1
02-17-05, 04:03 PM

I got the sense from his remarks at the real St. Petersburg Grand Prix that he has some idea what is going on. I sent him a brilliant ;) letter in support of Champ Car during the reorganization/bidding process. I'm sure it had a great deal of impact on his thinking.

More importantly, if he is on our side, someone in marketing ought to be on it. Canceling the event last year was not helpful to St. Petersburg, and we need to acknowledge that as well.

the fact was they were playing both sides and CCWS understandibly decided not to play the game

KLang
02-17-05, 04:12 PM
the fact was they were playing both sides and CCWS understandibly decided not to play the game

IIRC it wasn't really the city but rather one guy that owned the rights to the race that was shopping the race around. Can't recall his name at the moment.

Steve99
02-17-05, 05:00 PM

Even with free "red hat" tickets, that would suck.

Methanolandbrats
02-17-05, 05:14 PM
If I was in the area, I'd go. How often in a lifetime does a person receive several months advance notice of a train wreck :laugh:

racer2c
02-17-05, 05:18 PM

What I remember is that the mayor pulled a "my hands are tied" act but that he made comments to the press saying he was pushing for a return of the CCWS.

Ankf00
02-17-05, 05:51 PM
well the mayor would lobby for his preferences, but if he doesnt own the race, what's he supposed to do?

NismoZ
02-17-05, 06:21 PM
Yes, Of course I meant F-BMW (who severed it's CC "connection"), but the REASONING is the point I was trying to make. And, yes, it's conjecture, based only on what I read/hear. Sorry for the series mix-up. I'm embarrassed. :( ...and you must understand I too hope St. Pete ends up FAR more embarrassed than I! Mine was a misstatement, theirs was in really believing there was no difference in the 2 types of racing they would bring to town!) :shakehead

oddlycalm
02-17-05, 06:42 PM

schedule (http://www.gpstpete.com/schedule.cfm) :rofl: Without the support series there's gonna be around 5-6hrs of total tack activity over the entire three days. :laugh: The only thing funnier than this schedule will be the "race" itself... :D Barry Green needs to find a new hobby.

oc

nasti23
02-17-05, 07:30 PM
The reason Star pulled out was because, several teams have drivers under 18 and the irl will not let drivers under 18 drive. Thats part one.
Part two. Marco Andretti turns 18 a few days before the event.
However, Gramm Rahall will not be 18 for the event as with several other drivers. (from the grapevine) Bobby tried to get the irl to make an exception but they would not give in. So Bobby wrote a pretty intense letter to Gary and Gary caved in. :shakehead
I will not vent my distaste for the people that run Star Mazda, being a former 4 year competitor, but I find it amazing that they would do this for one person.

Don Quixote
02-17-05, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info nasti23. :thumbup:

RichK
02-17-05, 07:55 PM
I'm surprised that Gary would do that.

I'm also surprised that the .1RL wouldn't make an exception for younger drivers, but I guess it frees up the weekend schedule for more pace car "activities" and pre-race "celebrations".

Rogue Leader
02-18-05, 12:58 AM
As someone trying to put a Star Mazda drive together for this year I am not complaining. For one I dont have to deal with the crapwagons live, and secondly driving through a concrete canyon at my experience level (and that of my cohorts) could prove to be an expensive proposition....

Accipiter
02-18-05, 11:47 AM
The reason Star pulled out was because, several teams have drivers under 18 and the irl will not let drivers under 18 drive. Thats part one.

But Star Mazda isn't sanctioned by the IRL. :confused:

And aren't there drivers under 18 in Midgets when they run with them in Phoenix and Pikes Peak? :confused:

nasti23
02-18-05, 12:43 PM
something to do with the promoters insurance with the irl.
But if Mickey's kid was not going to be 18, you think things would be differant
since Mickey is the promoter? :confused:

Spicoli
02-18-05, 06:03 PM
Honda bought St Petes.

TorontoWorker
02-19-05, 06:49 PM
In consideration for being accepted as a volunteer, I irrevocable grant the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg and all its employees, sponsors and agents (the”HGPSP”), the exclusive rights to use my name, likeness, photo, portrait, picture, videotape, voice and/or statements made by or attributed to me relating to the Event for any purpose including news, promotion, advertising, publicity or otherwise, without further notification, approval or review by me and without any compensation to me, except where prohibited by law.

I guess I wouldn't appear in any photos or TV shots if I wear the tee shirt at St. Petes that I had on at last years Toronto race. The front has a shot of TG within a red circle with a red cross through it and the back has FTG.

Would they phone homeland security on me?? :eek:

rjohnson999
02-19-05, 07:53 PM
No, but they'd probably have you removed from the event. :eek:

In consideration for being accepted as a volunteer, I irrevocable grant the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg and all its employees, sponsors and agents (the”HGPSP”), the exclusive rights to use my name, likeness, photo, portrait, picture, videotape, voice and/or statements made by or attributed to me relating to the Event for any purpose including news, promotion, advertising, publicity or otherwise, without further notification, approval or review by me and without any compensation to me, except where prohibited by law.

I guess I wouldn't appear in any photos or TV shots if I wear the tee shirt at St. Petes that I had on at last years Toronto race. The front has a shot of TG within a red circle with a red cross through it and the back has FTG.

Would they phone homeland security on me?? :eek:

theunions
02-20-05, 01:46 AM
:rofl: Without the support series there's gonna be around 5-6hrs of total tack activity over the entire three days. :laugh:

Isn't SPEED World Challenge still participating?

Steve99
02-20-05, 02:42 AM

Don't give them exclusive rights to your name and likeness, or you'll have to get a new one. :)

NismoZ
02-20-05, 12:43 PM
Uhhh, Roger that, Rogue Leader!

extramundane
02-20-05, 06:25 PM
Isn't SPEED World Challenge still participating?

It's still on their schedule, but I understand some of the teams aren't exactly thrilled with running a street course.