PDA

View Full Version : Bourdais Gets IROC Pole - Doesn't Want It

L1P1
02-16-05, 07:18 PM
I guess you should be careful of what you don't wish for too....

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/speed/articles/0216nascar-daytona-practice-On.html

DaveL
02-16-05, 07:30 PM
The polesitter in plate racing is a sitting duck. I don't blame for not wanting to be up front at the start.

Anteater
02-16-05, 09:00 PM
A slightly more positive spin on the story here (complete with photo):
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8704

Seb has no illusions--hope he stays out of trouble!

Winston Wolfe
02-16-05, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I get it, and so does SeaBass.... not only is he one of them thar formula car racing Nancy Boys, but he is a furrin road racin' devil, who' s one of them Yurra-peein formula car driving Nancy boy types, and he one of them frog eatin' fellas too.... He's fer sure gonna get a nice warm, southern welcome and a taste of that Daytona concrete fer sure....
A la Scott Pruett, Christian Fittipaldi, and any of the other OW fellas that have given NASCAR a shot recently.

on a lighter note....

I LOVED Robby G's comments on the brilliant move by Sir TonyGeorge for screwing up the start time of the once famous 500....

(quote)
INDY BLUES: A handful of NASCAR drivers took notice when the start of the Indianapolis 500 was moved back an hour, making it almost impossible for them to compete at the Brickyard and in NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.

Robby Gordon, Tony Stewart and John Andretti have all attempted "The Double" in recent years. It was a tough task even when the Indy race began at 11 a.m. (EST) because it was still a scramble to make it back to North Carolina in time for the NASCAR event.

Now that the race will start at noon, Gordon said Indy will be hard-pressed to get any NASCAR drivers in the field.

"That's the dumbest decision they could have made," Gordon said. "One of the draws of that race these days is seeing what NASCAR stars try to run the double, and I just don't understand why they would take that element out of it by moving the start time."
(end quote)

What will they think of next ???? :rofl:

Ziggy
02-16-05, 10:58 PM
Thanks for nothing Robbie.

The only fans you put in that place are those that want to see you bust your arse in your "goKart"

He's famous in his own mind these days

racer2c
02-16-05, 11:28 PM
Thanks for nothing Robbie.

The only fans you put in that place are those that want to see you bust your arse in your "goKart"

He's famous in his own mind these days

But, Stewarts fake seatfitting last year drew more interest than the race itself. __king sad.

Michaelhatesfans
02-17-05, 02:53 AM
Max Papis reminded me why I haven't watched an IROC race in over a decade,

"I've been working the garages of NASCAR for the last three years," the Italian said. "It's no secret that I want to do it in my short future. Here in the IROC series, I will be in NASCAR territory."

:thumdown:

mueber
02-17-05, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I get it, and so does SeaBass.... not only is he one of them thar formula car racing Nancy Boys, but he is a furrin road racin' devil, who' s one of them Yurra-peein formula car driving Nancy boy types, and he one of them frog eatin' fellas too.... He's fer sure gonna get a nice warm, southern welcome and a taste of that Daytona concrete fer sure....

Not to mention won of them wine drinkin, George Bush hatin, Charles Darwin loving, UN worshipin, french-types. I hope Sebastian has a sense of humor.

Accipiter
02-17-05, 01:23 PM
He really doesn't have to worry about the first lap. All anyone will be doing is holding their foot to the floor getting the cars up to speed. It's the second lap that they are going to swamp him. And from that point on, his only thought should be staying in the draft.

Anteater
02-17-05, 02:24 PM
Robby's comment made me laugh--after all that has happened how can he be surprised at IMS making a dumb decision? But the comments from Max Papis were even better:

"When I came to race in America, the first thing I did when I arrived at the Daytona track was sit in the grandstands and watch the stock cars practicing. I told myself that maybe one day I will do this and drive on ovals. I am achieving my American dream."

Cue the violins.. can Max lay it on any thicker? :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
02-17-05, 02:25 PM
At least it's on SPEED, so we should'nt hear "American Fries" and other tidbits from Neck Philosophy 101.

Anteater
02-17-05, 02:48 PM
I hope Sebastian has a sense of humor.

The guy lets his team members call him by the name of a frog puppet, so he must. :) Actually, "Kermit" sounds like a good ole boy's name; maybe Seb should use it during his IROC races. And he survived being booed by beer-swilling louts at the '03 LBGP, so I think he'll do OK.

Ozarkian
02-17-05, 02:57 PM
"Gordon said Indy officials should have moved the race to Memorial Day instead of trying to draw viewers on the same day as a NASCAR race."

TF explosion in 5, 4, 3 ...

Racewriter
02-17-05, 07:00 PM
A la Scott Pruett, Christian Fittipaldi, and any of the other OW fellas that have given NASCAR a shot recently.

Well, Bourdais was perfectly capable of crashing a Daytona Prototype all by his little lonesome. Or was that a big NASCAR conspiracy too? :shakehead

Maybe the guys you're talking about just aren't very good when they move to the big leagues...

Ankf00
02-17-05, 07:27 PM
Robby's comment made me laugh--after all that has happened how can he be surprised at IMS making a dumb decision? But the comments from Max Papis were even better:

"When I came to race in America, the first thing I did when I arrived at the Daytona track was sit in the grandstands and watch the stock cars practicing. I told myself that maybe one day I will do this and drive on ovals. I am achieving my American dream."

Cue the violins.. can Max lay it on any thicker? :shakehead

see, it makes sense now, Burlesconi exiled him from Italy, should he return the Carabinieri will arrest him and lock him away for life due to his douchiness. so to ensure he isn't deported he's constantly sucking INS official ass, in this case, the INS office of Daytona, FL

Winston Wolfe
02-17-05, 08:30 PM
Well, Bourdais was perfectly capable of crashing a Daytona Prototype all by his little lonesome. Or was that a big NASCAR conspiracy too? :shakehead

Maybe the guys you're talking about just aren't very good when they move to the big leagues...

Dood, whatchoo talkin' bout ???? IROC the "big leagues" ? Puh-Leeesse :rolleyes:

Have you ever actually watched a NASCAR race, when one the ex-OW guys tries their hand at the gig ? I vividly recall Scott Pruett putting the PPI Tide Car on pole, and he proceeded to get the chrome horn on about lap 3-4 which drove him UP (no, not a nice lazy spin into the infield grass....) into the nice, UN-soft, concrete at "1.5mile D-Shaped Oval Generic NASCAR track of the week"....
Christian Fitipaldi may not be the greatest talent to leave CART and head to NASCAR \ Busch, but he certainly didnt receive a hero's welcome, or the best equipment.... Conspiracy ? Hell no..... Treated like a "rented goalie" \ redheaded stepchild ? You bet.

And if you dont think ol' Seabass is going to get the same welcome.... well, you had better share some of that stuff you are smokin'.... :shakehead

L1P1
02-17-05, 09:36 PM
Huh-uh. Sebastian is jest playin' 'possum and will open up a can of french-roasted whupass on the entire IROC field. :gomer:

Racewriter
02-18-05, 02:45 PM
Dood, whatchoo talkin' bout ???? IROC the "big leagues" ? Puh-Leeesse :rolleyes:

Have you ever actually watched a NASCAR race, when one the ex-OW guys tries their hand at the gig ? I vividly recall Scott Pruett putting the PPI Tide Car on pole, and he proceeded to get the chrome horn on about lap 3-4 which drove him UP (no, not a nice lazy spin into the infield grass....) into the nice, UN-soft, concrete at "1.5mile D-Shaped Oval Generic NASCAR track of the week"....
Christian Fitipaldi may not be the greatest talent to leave CART and head to NASCAR \ Busch, but he certainly didnt receive a hero's welcome, or the best equipment.... Conspiracy ? Hell no..... Treated like a "rented goalie" \ redheaded stepchild ? You bet.

And if you dont think ol' Seabass is going to get the same welcome.... well, you had better share some of that stuff you are smokin'.... :shakehead

Ah, yes. The lemming rant about the one time that Scott Pruett was able to get in front of a NASCAR field and stay there for more than a straightaway. :shakehead Yes, he got tagged by Steve Park, and yes, he crashed. That was before the Cup guys figured out that all they had to do was simply move over and let Scott proceed on his determined charges to the rear.

Pretty Fitti never really charged to the rear - he just started there and stayed there. His best moment in a stocker was 10th in a freakin' ARCA race.

They're still waiting for the first formulafeedercar driver that can hang in NASCAR... maybe Jourdain has a shot. I hear he looked good at Phoenix.

Methanolandbrats
02-18-05, 02:57 PM
They're still waiting for the first formulafeedercar driver that can hang in NASCAR... maybe Jourdain has a shot. I hear he looked good at Phoenix. There are lots of them, they don't want to. The real needle in a haystack would be a Cab driver who could hang at Road America in a Champcar. Jourdain? Maybe Hattori in the truck will be the chosen one :D

Skater_36
02-18-05, 03:00 PM

IROC is the big leagues? :laugh:

racer2c
02-18-05, 03:08 PM
They're still waiting for the first formulafeedercar driver that can hang in NASCAR... maybe Jourdain has a shot. I hear he looked good at Phoenix.

"hang" is appropriate as we all know it's who you team up with to draft. Believe me, no one was waving Fitti to latch on and push through.
NASCAR is all about 'payin' dues'. Gordon thought he could stroll in there cuz he's a 'merican and everyone will want to draft with him. They balked, he gets pushy, they push him out tof the series. It's no great mystery or conspiracy. Just the way it is. If IROC is good for anything, it's for shedding light on the NASCAR 'gang' mentality.

I'm still waiting for the first 'neck to "hang" in a Champ Car and test runs don't count.

tllips
02-18-05, 04:46 PM
Isn't this race today? Does anyone know what time or what happened?

Methanolandbrats
02-18-05, 04:51 PM
Isn't this race today? Does anyone know what time or what happened? 6pm ET on SPEED

Sean O'Gorman
02-18-05, 06:16 PM

What about Jerry Nadeau?

Methanolandbrats
02-18-05, 08:00 PM
Well, first race nap of the season. Made it to lap 4 of the IROC, dozed off, just woke up and they're all parked. This crap is stoopid and boring.

trish
02-18-05, 08:19 PM
I heard Sebastian did pretty well until the wreck. I'll have to look for the re-air.

L1P1
02-18-05, 08:25 PM
I heard Sebastian did pretty well until the wreck. I'll have to look for the re-air.

It was mixed. Dropped back to mid-pack, then to the back, then back to fourth or fifth, then to the back, then back to mid-pack before being introduced to the wall.

Racing as designed by the Keystone Cops. Oh well, it would even be slightly entertaining to see all these guys race lawnmowers.

Rogue Leader
02-19-05, 12:45 AM
Kurt Busch said basically in the pitlane interview, the way the rules and cars are designed you cant pass you just race in a line till someone does something stupid and drops back or crashes.

Anteater
02-19-05, 12:21 PM
I'd never really watched an IROC race, but I tuned in to see how Bourdais fared. You all warned me about this, but man, what an idiotic form of racing! :rolleyes:

pchall
02-19-05, 12:54 PM

It doesn't help the transistion of a formula car racer to driving those lumps by having the likes of St. Dale bump draft or nerf them any time they were working well and going fast. Scott Pruett got that treatment often, and it happens to almost any outsider unless he is bog slow.

Sean O'Gorman
02-19-05, 01:37 PM
It doesn't help the transistion of a formula car racer to driving those lumps by having the likes of St. Dale bump draft or nerf them any time they were working well and going fast. Scott Pruett got that treatment often, and it happens to almost any outsider unless he is bog slow.

Yeah, take THAT! And THAT!

Clearly all road racers have some sort of genetic superiority that makes them better at oval racing than trained oval racers, and the whole NASCAR fraternity is wise to do whatever they can to keep the road racers down. :gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
02-19-05, 02:02 PM
I'd never really watched an IROC race, but I tuned in to see how Bourdais fared. You all warned me about this, but man, what an idiotic form of racing! :rolleyes:
Now that you've seen what it's become, prepare to weep when you see what it was...
http://www.qv500.com/porsche91127p8.htm

Ankf00
02-19-05, 02:15 PM
Yeah, take THAT! And THAT!

Clearly all road racers have some sort of genetic superiority that makes them better at oval racing than trained oval racers, and the whole NASCAR fraternity is wise to do whatever they can to keep the road racers down. :gomer:
HAH, riiiight, because the good ol' boys club is always welcoming outsiders...

nice little world you live in

pchall
02-19-05, 02:30 PM

I think his world might be sponsored by Toyota's hopes and propaganda machinery... ;)

Sean O'Gorman
02-19-05, 02:37 PM

Kurt Busch wasn't very welcome but it didn't seem to hurt his ability to be competitive in NASCAR...

RusH
02-19-05, 03:06 PM

Plate racing is what the .1rl is based on.
Most Nascar fans hate it, so it goes to show how it will succeed
:gomer:

Racewriter
02-19-05, 05:37 PM
Now that you've seen what it's become, prepare to weep when you see what it was...
http://www.qv500.com/porsche91127p8.htm

Read "The Unfair Advantage" before you whine about that. Donohue enumerated the reasons for the switch: The Porsches were costly, temperamental, and very difficult to equalize. No such problems with the Camaros.

NismoZ
02-19-05, 05:59 PM
Then equalize 'em on a real damn race track where a driver's talent actually MEANS something! You have it TOO easy when results at Daytona or some other circle are used as proof of "racing" competence. It's a TV event, it works for a lot of people, but it is hardly fair. Doesn't intend to be. I wonder how the top 4 finishers would do in the OWROC, at say Road America, Long Beach, Mexico City and Montreal? I'd like to see it, I really would, but it won't happen. Too complicated for most "fans" to understand. How 'bout an OGROC? I hear Mario turned laps as fast as ANYbody out there. :D

Michaelhatesfans
02-20-05, 01:58 AM
Read "The Unfair Advantage" before you whine about that. Donohue enumerated the reasons for the switch: The Porsches were costly, temperamental, and very difficult to equalize. No such problems with the Camaros.
I've read it, but that's beside the point, because I think that you're confusing my point with someone elses. :cool: I don't care what kinds of cars they are, I just want an equal amount of road courses to ovals, and drivers from series outside of the United States.

extramundane
02-20-05, 06:32 PM
Then equalize 'em on a real damn race track where a driver's talent actually MEANS something! You have it TOO easy when results at Daytona or some other circle are used as proof of "racing" competence.

But that might put NASCAR drivers at a disadvantage. We can't have that, now can we?

Keep the current turdboxes for a couple of oval races, then, for a couple of road races, break out some 911 GT3 Cup cars...or be daring and use some Atlantics cars (there's plenty out there not being used). But again, that would disrupt the illiusion of NASCAR UBER ALLES, so it'll never happen.

pchall
02-20-05, 06:51 PM

Yes, they were cheaper to buy and prepare but the Camaros were crap. Sorry, your post is a whine of near Mikey proportions.

L1P1
02-20-05, 10:59 PM
I don't know why anyone can't do this right. I was pleased to see some significant sponsorship on the cars (thank you Crown Royal), but where were the regular sponsors?

Look, no 'Champion' is hurting for sponsorship. So paint the cars up in the typical livery of the driver. It seems to me they were trying to a little bit of this this year - giving Bourdais yellow and Castroneves red. But get serious about it already.

Pick (sell) three manufacturers, let them choose their venues and require them to field two races worth of cars. Porsche can provide road cars and Chevy can provide the pace..., er,,...oval cars.

Methanolandbrats
02-20-05, 11:31 PM
The Race of Champions does it right. Unfamiliar cars in and unfamiliar situation for all the drivers. Then run heats.