PDA

View Full Version : Laser Printer / Fax Multifunction

Audi_A4
02-14-05, 09:58 PM
Hey OffCamberians,

is this HP unit any good? HP -- MULTIFUNCTION LASER PRINTER/FAX MACHINE (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10041863&catid=10781&logon=&langid=EN&dept=18#)

Methanolandbrats
02-14-05, 10:03 PM
IMHO HP makes junk. Just bought my first Canon photo printer and it is amazing. Check out their multifunction units, maybe they are as nice as the photo printers.

Al Czervik
02-14-05, 10:11 PM
IMHO HP makes junk. Just bought my first Canon photo printer and it is amazing. Check out their multifunction units, maybe they are as nice as the photo printers.

Interesting. I've always bought HP for home & for work and have had real good luck. No experience on this particular printer/fax, though.

I'm not a big fan of multi-purpose machines, usually there is some compromise over 2 (or 3) dedicated machines. With that being said, is it possible to buy just a fax machine anymore?

nrc
02-14-05, 10:40 PM
I've had good luck with their laser printers, but bad luck with their ink jets.

Maybe they'll magically get better now that they've kicked Carley out on her over-paid butt.

dando
02-14-05, 11:14 PM
I have an HP IIIP laser that has been great for ~10 years, but I've read numerous reviews on how HP has missed the mark of late w/inkjets and photo printers (photo better than inkjet). I have an HP inkjet @ work, and it's not that great. I second the recommendation for Canon photo printers. I've had one for ~3 years now, and have found it to be top notch. As with any multi-function device, it's likely to be a jack of all trades, but master of none.

The Cnet review for this unit is decent, but the feedback makes ya wonder:

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_LaserJet_3015/4505-3181_7-30811306.html

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-14-05, 11:19 PM
I should say my experience with them is with ink jets and computers. Because of that I will never buy anything they make ever again.

racer2c
02-14-05, 11:29 PM
I have two HP laser Jets (Color Laser 4550 and LaserJet 2100) and one HP inkjet photo printer (Photosmart 7350). No problems. The photo inkjet prints awesome quality pics.

Ankf00
02-14-05, 11:36 PM
"pc load letter, wtf does that mean?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Greendragonsix/paperjam2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Greendragonsix/paperjam3.jpg

devilmaster
02-15-05, 01:28 AM
I have an officejet 725. Luckily I didn't pay for it. It is a hunk of crap. My biggest beef is that usually loads about 20 pages at a time when printing one, and that if you don't use the colour inkjet often enough, it gums up making it unusable. (and their stupid 'clean' cycle doesn't do crap except make noise)

I'm going to be bugging work to get me a new one when they get me my new laptop sometime this year :)

Steve

devilmaster
02-15-05, 01:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Greendragonsix/paperjam3.jpg

Hey everyone, Ank is sticking his head out of his cubicle.

Ankf00
02-15-05, 01:36 AM
that was my old cube, my new one's 3 times as big :D

indyfan31
02-15-05, 02:22 AM
I've owned 3 HP InkJets in the past 10 years, every one of them has worked perfectly; the only Epson I've ever had I got for free when I bought my PowerBook, it's a piece of crap. Every single high-production printer in our building (over 50 of them) is an HP LaserJet, they make hundreds of copies a day without failure.
That being said, I agree with Al C., I don't like the idea of "do it all" units, no matter who makes them; although I realize in an office it's sometimes the only solution. My only caveat, stay away from the Dell.

chop456
02-15-05, 02:27 AM
I have a Xerox Workcentre 385 and it's unstoppable. Even the kids haven't been able to break it. The nice thing is that the fuser roller is integrated with the toner cartridge, so you don't have to replace them individually. You can get OEM cartridges off eBay for about $60, and they're good for 5,000 pages @ 5% coverage. It was a bargain at $200. I don't know what the comparable current model is, but I'm happy with Xerox.

JohnHKart
02-15-05, 04:11 AM
The HP Laserjet 1012 is one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought....I love it....I will never ever buy a crappy inkjet (like the Epson 777 I had) again. I should have had this from day one in Jan 2001 when I bought this computer. But of course every company has stuff that doesn't work as good as other pieces.

John

Methanolandbrats
02-15-05, 11:30 AM
Canon makes the best inkjet printers. The ip5000 for $200 is a lowcost miracle. Very low per print price for text and photos. Low end Epsons are junk, but their archival models (ultrachrome inks) are the standard for photo printing.

Dirty Sanchez
02-15-05, 11:43 AM
^Is that the one you just bought? I will probably be looking for some kinda photo printer in the next few months. Paper will be the topic of a different discussion. ;)

KLang
02-15-05, 11:50 AM
We've been using HP inkjets at home for years with no problems. As far back as I can remember they have been the recommended printers by Consumer Reports.

oddlycalm
02-15-05, 05:18 PM
is this HP unit any good? HP -- MULTIFUNCTION LASER PRINTER/FAX MACHINE (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10041863&catid=10781&logon=&langid=EN&dept=18#) This is the replacement for the 3150/3200 product line. We have HP3150 & 3200 with the (same laser engine) for all our people in the field. The good news is that everybody loves the integration and automation. They also like that the machine is silent (no cooling fan at idle) unless it is actually printing

The things we don't like are the fact that the paper separation pads wear out after a couple years requiring replacement and that HP's support for future operating systems will be weak/non-existant. Most of us were running Win2K when these came out and function was good. However, the XP drivers have never worked right. I'm sure that we are not being realistic about how long these machines should last, but trashing a working laserjet just because your new computer has a different OS seems extreme.

Good alternatives include the Oki and Canon machines, but you will pay out the nose for toner.

oc

Audi_A4
02-16-05, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info and advice gang

CART License
02-17-05, 01:31 AM
Don’t do it… multi-purpose machines are dreadful