PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Etheridge at the Grammys

KaBoom21
02-14-05, 04:58 PM
Damn, was that an impressive performance. She ripped up that Janis Joplin tune.

Still won't buy a Melissa CD, though. :rofl:

P.S. Lifetime achivement award for Joplin? :saywhat: How long was her career anyway?

SteveH
02-14-05, 06:34 PM
Thought her and Joss Stone did a great job. Janis, dead for 35 years gets a lifetime acheivement award? Only at the Grammys.

Except for the bald head you sure couldn't tell that Melissa is battling cancer. :thumbup:

dando
02-14-05, 06:47 PM
Years ago the power went out @ the local club ME was performing @ here in Cbus. So she starts singing tunes acapella that were just killer. Always a big fan of ME's, and the crowd watching @ her shows is always fun. ;)

-Kevin

JohnHKart
02-14-05, 07:29 PM
Before Black Sabbath and Deep Purple? This is the reason I pretty much ignore mainstream stuff like the Grammys and the RandR Hall of Fame. I still watch the shows, but don't spend two seconds thinking about their stupid choices which mean nothing to me. Ex Purple bassist and singer Glenn Hughes has been on a roll the past five years....his new one with The Chili Peppers' drummer Chad Smith is his top seller ever....but you won't ever hear about it in venues like these. Santana also would have continued to be ignored if it weren't for the tricks they pulled with Supernatural.

John

indyfan31
02-14-05, 09:03 PM
The day Alanis Morissette was awarded the Best Female Rock Vocal Performance, I changed the channel and haven't watched the Grammys since.

JohnHKart
02-15-05, 04:34 AM
It's really two completely different industries....the mainstream youth oriented and stuffy politically correct choice oriented venues like the Grammies and The RORHall of Shame....while other older artists (like those from the Hard Rock category) just plow on in Europe and Japan...and in some cases, small venues in the US. Forgotten or maybe never known, they are in many cases still turning out great albums and performances. John Fogarty is more mainstream than some of the forgotten ones I speak of but he wasn't at the Grammies....his last two albums are totally brilliant...and the guy can still sing every note he's ever recorded. At least Blue Moon Swamp was nominated in 98, but he's never won anything. Maybe if he dies they will recognize him, like with Ray Charles....too little, too late. The industry sucks!

John

chicanor
02-15-05, 11:21 AM
Led Zepplin got a lifetime acheivement award that night as well. 'bout time.. they were LONG overdue. I have to say ME looks great for battling cancer. it usually takes so much out of someone, she's definately a trooper.

RusH
02-15-05, 11:31 AM
Just noticing that if the Grammys snub an act in their prime, they try and make it up to them in a lifetime achievement award. Usually after their death, or in the case of bands, long after they will never play again.
:shakehead