PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye NHL.

devilmaster
02-14-05, 04:14 PM
I know, I know. Surprise, surprise. We all knew it was coming.

Anyways, with the official announcement apparently coming Tuesday, I happened to read a couple articles which really spell the whole sad situation out for me.

First is Yahoo's Dan Wetzel:

The fact that it has seemed inevitable the NHL would lose the entire season over its labor impasse should in no way lessen the outrage, or temper the anger, now that the deed apparently is about to happen.

According to reports, there will officially be no hockey this season after a Tuesday announcement – no Stanley Cup, no overtime heart stoppers, no Game 7s – and the list of guilty parties is as long as it is damning.

It starts with commissioner Gary Bettman, the most hapless, hopeless executive in sports, who in 13 years in charge of the NHL has succeeded in little more than driving the once-proud league right into the grave.

It moves onto a collection of owners who care little about the game, about the fans, about the tradition – franchise killers such as Bill Wirtz in Chicago who care only about bottom line.

They (and their stooge Bettman) pursued reckless expansion for the sake of franchise fees, never taking time to realize it was a recipe for disaster. They (and their stooge Bettman) priced out families in pursuit of corporations. They (and their stooge Bettman) showed an utter lack of understanding for the sport, allowing neutral-zone traps, oversized goalie equipment and bear-hug defenses to suck the excitement out of the rink.

And it must include the players, who can't be faulted for taking over-valued contracts from naive owners who spent like drunken sailors, but now have to wake up and realize the gravy train is over and a salary cap is necessary.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqdGgyMXV0BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwNl Y2w-?slug=dw-nhl021405&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Second, is TSN's James Duthie, who is TSN's host for NHL hockey broadcasts:

This is a Dear John letter.

As in Leclair, Madden, Grahame, etc.

It's also a Dear Jon letter (Klemm), a Dear John Michael letter (Liles), and a Dear Joni letter (Pitkanen).

You get the idea.

The point is, I'm done with you guys. We're breaking up.

Oh, and don't think this is just an anti-player rant. I'm done with Bettman and his boys, too. I'm neutrally bitter.

You see I used to host hockey games. Now I host mind games.

Let's see. We started doing regular lockout panel chats in September. So…roughly five a week…two a day since January…sometimes three…carry the one…dang I wished I paid attention in math…must use computer calculator instead…equals…somewhere around 150 lockout discussions. Or about 147 more than Gary [Bettman] and Bob [Goodenow] have had over the same period.

And you thought Seinfeld was a show about nothing.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie.asp

RIP NHL.

Steve

RichK
02-14-05, 04:17 PM
A lot of that sounds eerily familiar.....

tllips
02-14-05, 04:57 PM
The worst thing is, after tomorow's announcement, nothing will happen until next September when the 95-96 season will be in jeopardy!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :flame:

JoeBob
02-14-05, 05:14 PM
No, the worst is how few people have even noticed that the NHL is missing in the first place. Maybe in Canada there's been a lot of upset people - but even in a "Hockey State" like Minnesota, there hasn't been much talk about it.

If thats what its like here, how little do Florida, Dallas and Carolina fans care?

Could you imagine the outcry had the same thing happened with the NFL? Cancelling the Super Bowl? There'd be rioting nationwide.

The "no season" announcement will get a full page of coverage on espn.com on Tuesday, and by Thursday it will appear as if hockey never existed in the first place.

And that, is what is truely sad.

Rob
02-14-05, 06:28 PM
If thats what its like here, how little do Florida, Dallas and Carolina fans care?
I miss hockey a lot, although there's plenty of other stuff going on to keep me occupied. I'm just sick of all these greedy bastards and incompetent morons ruining professional sports. I swear, it's nothing but a kindergarten full of millionaires. I have no sympathy for anyone who complains about not making enough money when they make ten times more than I do. They don't want to play? Screw them. Get people who will play hard and I'll watch them play.

dando
02-14-05, 06:42 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie.asp

That Duthie piece is a classic. My favorite part starts right where you cut it off, Steve:

And you thought Seinfeld was a show about nothing.

I'm dizzy from the rhetoric. My head is spinning faster than Anna Nicole Smith's. I feel like I've been on a four-day bender with Nick Nolte.

And for what? I feel the same way I did after I saw Lost in Translation: You mean that's it? What the hell did it mean?
(Though I'll take Scarlet Johanson over Daly and Saskin.)

:rofl:

In any case, TSN now reports that the two sids are making one. (more) last. (no really this time) gasp. attempt:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114925

My question is why keep it/us hanging like this?!? Just kill it. I want no part of a condensed 28 games season that just screws the fans further by having 3 or 4 games/week. Whichever side wins this thing will simply be known as the tallest dwarf. As ESPN Radio mentioned earlier today, the NHL was 9th out of 10 major sports in a recent ESPN poll. One place behind the WNBA. Behind figure skating. The NHL and NHLPA have bigger problems than a labor agreement. Even a recent poll by TSN showed that 40% of Canucks were apathetic. I miss the game, but my frustration and anger over how ignorant both sides have been over the past six mos. leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm over it. :flame:

Time for March Madness. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-14-05, 06:46 PM
Gonna be a lot of really mean, toothless guys in the unemployment line.

dando
02-14-05, 06:55 PM
UPDATE: According to TSN, the damn news conference has now been moved to Wed. :flame: :mad: Another day of waiting for the inevitable! Announce the cancellation so I can get my season tix $$$ back (+ interest).

Of course, I thought Tues was an odd choice out of respect to Louis Sutter, who is being laid to rest tomorrow. RIP, Louis. Father of 6 NHL players, and 2 current NHL head coaches.

-Kevin

RTKar
02-14-05, 06:56 PM
I miss hockey a lot, although there's plenty of other stuff going on to keep me occupied. I'm just sick of all these greedy bastards and incompetent morons ruining professional sports. I swear, it's nothing but a kindergarten full of millionaires. I have no sympathy for anyone who complains about not making enough money when they make ten times more than I do. They don't want to play? Screw them. Get people who will play hard and I'll watch them play.

Amen, and the sentiment extends to all sports. At one time I did up to 40+ baseball games a year...now I do maybe two. I also once shared Blackhawks season tickets with another guy... I haven't seen them in person in over ten years....I'm tired of the greed and lies.

CART T. Katz
02-14-05, 08:05 PM
louisville is literally a hockey black hole. the person who did that was, in fact, an owner who was much worse than bill wirtz. he had the attitude of "build it and they will come" while providing NO tv games for the first year, NO consistant radio coverage, NO interviews with the players other than the team's show on public access, and NO public appearances by anyone in management or ownership. granted the availability of the arena (freedom hall) has something to do with that, but that goes more towards the state, our basketball team, the university of louisville has trouble getting time for practice there because the arena is always booked. but when the team was in town, no one knew about it. he also had a problem with paying off his creditors that he borrowed money from locally to get the team going. the thing is, louisville has a profitable, successful hockey history. that one idiot dumbass owner basically killed all of that with his bad decisions.

sound familiar?

/rip louisville panthers 2000-2001, we barely knew thee
http://ctkatz.trybalink.net/LouisvillePanthers.GIF

Ankf00
02-14-05, 08:07 PM
college sports, less greed, more hustle, and the seasons are never cut short, even if the big 10 does boycott baseball like a buncha sissies :p

spinner26
02-14-05, 08:30 PM
No, the worst is how few people have even noticed that the NHL is missing in the first place. Maybe in Canada there's been a lot of upset people - but even in a "Hockey State" like Minnesota, there hasn't been much talk about it.

Could you imagine the outcry had the same thing happened with the NFL? Cancelling the Super Bowl? There'd be rioting nationwide.

The "no season" announcement will get a full page of coverage on espn.com on Tuesday, and by Thursday it will appear as if hockey never existed in the first place.

According to updated info on ESPN poll:

What are you going to miss most about the NHL?

The Game : 12.7%

Stanley Cup Playoffs : 27.4%

Penalty Shots : 0.5%

Fights : 13%

Nothing : 46.2%

22,888 Votes so far.

My point is, like CCWS, to mainstream America hockey does not exist. :shakehead

I personally used to like hanging around the Indy area and watching minor league. I followed Indy Ice the year they won the CHL cup a few years back, went to Cincy and Ft.Wayne quite a bit, only went to Louisville once, and Nashville two or three times. It's a sad day when arguably the toughest sport is no where to be seen and noone notices.

Mr. Vengeance
02-14-05, 08:30 PM
Maybe in Canada there's been a lot of upset people

Surprisingly few, actually. (But I'm one of them).

Sucks for the "little" people that make a living off of the NHL. I couldn't care less about the players or the owners, though.

Ankf00
02-14-05, 08:48 PM
According to updated info on ESPN poll:

What are you going to miss most about the NHL?

Stanley Cup Playoffs : 27.4%

+1

now all we have is the NBA playoffs http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

dando
02-14-05, 08:56 PM
even if the big 10 does boycott baseball like a buncha sissies :p
Huh? Level the playing field...get yer wussie @sses up here fer a series in Feb, cattle boy. You nancy boyz prolly don't even know how to shovel snow...oh, wait, itz prolly just like shoveling cow s****. nm. :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
02-14-05, 09:24 PM
hey blinky, you guys have hockey and there's this little invention called the "dome" :gomer: get some ranked teams... no one's going to miss filler :p

I'm going to conclude this post by plugging Tif's college hockey team, MN state mankato is 7-14 but they kick ass, and stuff :D

RTKar
02-14-05, 09:29 PM
+1

now all we have is the NBA playoffs http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

never liked basketball much but the nba is degenerating into nothing but glorified street ball :thumdown:

dando
02-14-05, 10:53 PM
hey blinky, you guys have hockey and there's this little invention called the "dome" :gomer: get some ranked teams... no one's going to miss filler :p
Perhaps you should check out Bob Todd's record @ OSU before you go stickin' yer size 9 reeboks in yer pie hole again. :p And yes, we do have excellent hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc. teams here @ OSU. Thanks for taking notice. BTW, the Frozen Four is here in Cbus in April. Wouldn't it be delicious if U/M and OSU were facing off in the Finals? :)

Secondly, we have a very nice ball field in Cbus. Domes is fer wussies down south that can't take the heat (ala TBay or 'zona), or those in the frozen tundra that can't get thaw out the fields b4 May to set bases, etc.

-Kevin

Night Train
02-14-05, 10:54 PM
Well, since I had to give up my season tickets this year (moving) it's not as bad as it would have been, but it still hurts nonetheless. A pox on both their houses!

Ankf00
02-14-05, 11:14 PM
Perhaps you should check out Bob Todd's record @ OSU before you go stickin' yer size 9 reeboks in yer pie hole again. :p And yes, we do have excellent hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc. teams here @ OSU. Thanks for taking notice. BTW, the Frozen Four is here in Cbus in April. Wouldn't it be delicious if U/M and OSU were facing off in the Finals? :)

Secondly, we have a very nice ball field in Cbus. Domes is fer wussies down south that can't take the heat (ala TBay or 'zona), or those in the frozen tundra that can't get thaw out the fields b4 May to set bases, etc.

-Kevin

looks like frozen four will be the only espn hockey we get this year... and OSU will be lucky to get past the top WCHA teams to get there :gomer:

and yer right, domes are for wussies, wussies who cry about when the season starts cuz it's "cold" ;) OSU actually was the last non-southern team to win the CWS... back in 1966... hehe

Winston Wolfe
02-14-05, 11:51 PM
looks like frozen four will be the only espn hockey we get this year... and OSU will be lucky to get past the top WCHA teams to get there :gomer:

and yer right, domes are for wussies, wussies who cry about when the season starts cuz it's "cold" ;) OSU actually was the last non-southern team to win the CWS... back in 1966... hehe

Damn, now yer talkin'.....

UMaine Black Bears have been in a few Frozen Four tourneys lately. I saw 'em win their last one right here in the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, when the Univ of Alaska sponsored the tourney a few years back.
And playing baseball in covered domes, you say.... again, not the Maine Black Bears... they just play their first 20-30 games on the road so the ground'll thaw a bit up there in Orono, so's they can get them bases screwed into the ground and play ball !

dando
02-15-05, 12:06 AM

We'll see. The CCHA has a pretty good record of getting teams into the Frozen Four the past several years. U/M #6 and OSU #7 as of now. 2A hockey playoffs are a short affair, so all it takes is a hot streak @ the right time. Last year's Puckeyes fell one step short after falling to the Badgers 1-0 in OT. That was one for the ages. Would have made 2 Frozen Fours in 4 or 5 years. Coach Markel has done a great job with the hockey program here. Like the south in baseball, the NE and NC has an advantage over other areas, as the local kids play year 'round. That's changing around here, as rinks and high school programs have been sprouting like crazy. Hopefully the NHL labor debacle doesn't kill that mo. :(

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-15-05, 12:07 AM
As far as pure sport goes, it's hard to beat high school contests.

Ankf00
02-15-05, 12:42 AM
As far as pure sport goes, it's hard to beat high school contests.
NHL 95 for genesis :D

pure sporting pwnage.

"I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super fan 99 over here."

Tifosi24
02-15-05, 01:49 AM
I haven't missed any hockey this year. It is a great thing having your college play D-I hockey and it only cost me 42 bucks this year to get into all of my school's home games, in the best conference in all of college sports I might add. I can guarantee right now that tOSU will not make the Frozen Four this year, and the WCHA is still the best conference in college hockey. I can't talk too much smack about the Buckeyes because they spanked Kato over Christmas, but I just don't see them being able to get through CC, Denver, or even Boston College. Also, the dreams of having an OSU vs Minnesota championship will have to wait for another year. The Gophers are in an all out tailspin, and if they hadn't racked up some conference points during 1st semester they would be fighting it out with the bottom 6 teams for 5th place. My prediction right now will be the national champion coming out of Colorado, with either CC or Denver getting the nod. I have seen CC in person and I get to see Denver in one week's time, after which I can give everyone a better prediction.

chop456
02-15-05, 02:34 AM

That's almost exactly what I was going to say. Thanks. :D

I used to attend 5-10 Blackhawks games per year. They raised our tickets from $75 to $250, then gutted the team of all talent. Over the last 2-3 years, Chicago's AHL team (The Wolves) have been drawing more fans than the Hawks. It's almost entertaining to watch how quickly these people can run a good thing into the ground. (It's especially gratifying to watch Wirtz fail. A coronary on live TV would rule).

chicanor
02-15-05, 11:26 AM
sounds like Gary Bettman has a bad case of TG fever... running a sport into the grave and all. :D Too bad, Hockey is a great american sport. I guess i just don't see how you could "CANCEL" an entire season of a sport. too bad it's not that "easy" to cancel the EARL season all together.

dando
02-15-05, 01:40 PM
Curiouser and curiouser....NHLPA offers cap, NHL rejects and counters with a cap w/o linkage:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115014

So the NHLPA has overcome the cap barrier...too bad these fools could make progress like this 6 weeks or even 6 mos. ago. Morons!

-Kevin

pchall
02-15-05, 03:27 PM
Calder Cup Rules!

Melt down that POS Lord Stanley donated and make a tea urn and salver.

:gomer:

dando
02-16-05, 12:05 AM
Stick a fork in the NHL....FINALLY!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115048

Good God this is like a bad soap opera! Let's move, guys. :mad:

-Kevin

dando
02-16-05, 01:57 PM
Just before the 1pm press conference, and TSN reports that it's done:

The NHL's deadline for the Players' Association to accept its $42.5 million hard cap proposal has passed, and all signs point to commissioner Gary Bettman announcing the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season at a 1pm et/10am pt news conference in New York (live on TSN and TSN.ca). The league has already sent out memos to its teams saying it has not contacted the union since Tuesday night, and the season will be cancelled. The league has already sent out memos to its teams saying it has not contacted the union since Tuesday night, and the season will be cancelled.

Amazing that after 6 mos of this crap, just $6.5mm separates the sides. :shakehead

-Kevin

The Doctor
02-16-05, 02:01 PM
Just before the 1pm press conference, and TSN reports that it's done:

Amazing that after 6 mos of this crap, just $6.5mm separates the sides. :shakehead

-Kevin

Really it's more like $3mil. Sources have claimed that 45-46 would be acceptable to both sides and would get a deal done. Time to start creating a new hockey league, this one's toast.

CART T. Katz
02-16-05, 02:44 PM
gary bettman just said that it wsa never personal between himself and bob goodenow.

IF IT WASN'T PERSONAL THEN WHY DON'T WE HAVE A DEAL? EVERY SESSION WITHOUT THOSE TWO WAS A POSITIVE ONE!

:flame: :flame: :flame:

dando
02-16-05, 03:08 PM
Really it's more like $3mil. Sources have claimed that 45-46 would be acceptable to both sides and would get a deal done. Time to start creating a new hockey league, this one's toast.
T'was reported in some circles that $45mm was agreeable if offered/requested, but Bettman would not confirm nor deny it.

-Kevin

JoeBob
02-16-05, 03:10 PM
From the Minnesota Wild Website:

http://assets.sportvision.com/wild/assets/images/36885.gif

Rob
02-16-05, 03:22 PM
If there's any justice in the world, next year they'll have arenas with half the seats empty and the other half filled with fans booing the players mercilessly for the entire game. Shame on the NHL, its players and Gary Bettman. Greed has ruined one more good thing in sports. :thumdown:

dando
02-16-05, 07:01 PM
If there's any justice in the world, next year they'll have arenas with half the seats empty and the other half filled with fans booing the players mercilessly for the entire game. Shame on the NHL, its players and Gary Bettman. Greed has ruined one more good thing in sports. :thumdown:
If there's any justice there will be more rats in MSG than fans. :)

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
02-17-05, 04:17 AM
Amazing that after 6 mos of this crap, just $6.5mm separates the sides. :shakeheadWell, $6m is barely enough for a professional athlete to feed a kid, just ask Latrell Sprewell. :gomer:

Screw 'em. They would probably get better TV ratings showing AHL and college games.

JoeBob
02-17-05, 01:26 PM
Less than 24 hours after the big announcement, and a quick glance at ESPN's home page would leave you thinking that hockey never even existed in the first place.

Both sides should be taking note at how little anyone seems to care.

Sean O'Gorman
02-17-05, 02:08 PM
Less than 24 hours after the big announcement, and a quick glance at ESPN's home page would leave you thinking that hockey never even existed in the first place.

Both sides should be taking note at how little anyone seems to care.

What an outrage! I demand a new broadcast partner! :gomer:

dando
02-19-05, 12:50 PM
Deal underway to uncancel the season:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115459http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115459

Bob McKenzie calls it Freaky Friday (oh, how true):
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=115420

These bozos make Chris Kniefel look like Albert Einstein! :shakehead

-Kevin

devilmaster
02-19-05, 02:17 PM
CBC is announcing that the NHL has called a press conference for later today.....

DjDrOmusic
02-19-05, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up Steve, I wish we could get CBC here in CBus.

Ankf00
02-19-05, 02:56 PM
I demand a dunking booth for Goodenow and Bettman at the next all star game.

greatness.

dando
02-19-05, 04:19 PM

greatness.
That or atomic wedgies for both of them. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
02-19-05, 05:45 PM

greatness.

Bravo. :thumbup:

Goodenow should be canned, as should, most of all Bettman. Dude, I know you cancelled the season to show the players y'all mean business. But now, you turn around and "un-cancel" it? Attaboy Gary, that'll show them you mean business. :shakehead

Not that they had much of a choice. No hockey for the whole year would have been disastrous.

dando
02-19-05, 05:57 PM
No deal (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115459). Hosers!

-Kevin

Racing Truth
02-19-05, 06:14 PM
No deal (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115459). Hosers!

-Kevin

:shakehead :laugh:

TedN
02-19-05, 07:46 PM
The problem with Bettman and Goodenow is that their thinking is driven by what's between their legs, instead of what's between their ears. This dispute should have been handled by two women. The issues would have been solved long ago.

Ted

Ankf00
02-19-05, 08:01 PM
The problem with Bettman and Goodenow is that their thinking is driven by what's between their legs, instead of what's between their ears. This dispute should have been handled by two women. The issues would have been solved long ago.

Ted

because women NEVER carry secret yet unspecified grudges ;)

Winston Wolfe
02-19-05, 08:50 PM

Ted :shakehead

dando
02-19-05, 09:45 PM

Ted
And the fact that neither Bettman or Goodenow were not involved in many of the failed negotiations mean what? Obviously this runs deeper than the two top men, eh? This is not simply a failure of the leaders, but of both parties top to bottom. Period.

Any involvement by ladies, and there simply would be no hockey. Period. ;)

Anywho, Bob's McKenzie's take on what's next, and where this could ultimately lead if the pissing match continues:

http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=115548

I hope these guys regain some common sense before it's too late. If this thing drags out beyond May 1st, the players won't see anywhere near the $40mm+ offer that was on the table.

:shakehead

-Kevin

FTG
02-19-05, 11:06 PM
Best thing that ever happened to the NFL was busting the union.

devilmaster
02-20-05, 01:05 AM
The real sad thing:

If Bettman and Goodenow were both fired tomorrow, or anytime soon, they'd both probably get instant jobs at law firms somewhere making 6 figures.

Someone on Detroit radio had a really good question. They wondered if Bettman could actually lace up the skates and play. He had never even seen an NHL game live before he became commish.

Rob
02-20-05, 10:50 AM
Someone on Detroit radio had a really good question. They wondered if Bettman could actually lace up the skates and play.
Why not? He's been skating on thin ice for years.

chop456
05-28-05, 06:39 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=1&u=/ap/20050528/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_nhl_espn

Hahahahaha! Way to go, idiots. I hope both sides go broke in this.

RTKar
05-28-05, 07:06 AM
I have $15 hockey in Milwaukee, the NHL can blow away for all I care...juniors, college and AHL is the way to go.

cart7
05-28-05, 08:27 AM
There's always Spike TV and we all know how well that'll work out.

dando
05-28-05, 11:46 AM
That should pretty much grease the rails into oblivion. :shakehead Plus, that's $2mm per team less that the players will see. Cap figure should be down to $30mm pretty soon. Goodenow has really screwed the players over, but the owners have a $4B buyout offer on the table. Some of these cats could make out pretty on that. :saywhat:

-Kevin

CART T. Katz
05-28-05, 09:42 PM
my comments on this are not appropriate for this forum.

so check it out on another one (http://www.avalancheboard.com/wbb2/thread.php?postid=20439#post20439).

dando
05-28-05, 10:08 PM
my comments on this are not appropriate for this forum.

so check it out on another one (http://www.avalancheboard.com/wbb2/thread.php?postid=20439#post20439).
I'm really trying not to choose sides in this war, as I firmly believe that both sides are to blame the current mess. IMHO, both sides need to realize the current state of the sport, and move forward in the better interests of the sport and the fans. However, I would have expected the same to happen 5-6 years ago in US OW racing, so this is not surprising. :( From the player's perspective, the writing on the wall should be very clear...a 50% reduction in the ESPN TV package from $120mm to $60mm, and yet to be further reduced....it would seem pretty clear that they should get a deal done ASAP, or risk an MLS type system. How pathetic. :rolleyes: :shakehead

-Kevin

eiregosod
05-28-05, 10:17 PM
didnt NHL learn anything from disputes that other sports had over the previous 20 years? :shakehead

all's left is for NFL to pull a similar stunt, and the nly sport standing will be NASCAR :gomer: