PDA

View Full Version : I thought Off Camber had gone away!!!

Jag_Warrior
02-14-05, 12:58 PM
I've tried accessing OC from two other locations, using three different computers and couldn't get the page to pull up. I thought you guys were gone.

Only from my office is it coming up. Any ideas??? One location has dial-up, the other is broadband (hotel location).

dando
02-14-05, 01:27 PM
JW, my guess is that it's a localized DNS lookup problem with your dialup ISP. I haven't seen any issues with accessing OC over the weekend or this AM.

-Kevin

nrc
02-14-05, 01:31 PM
We're not aware of any problems. It's working from three different locations that we've tried. Like dando said, probably a local DNS thing. What kind of message were you getting?

racer2c
02-14-05, 01:46 PM
JW, are you trying to access with older bookmarks directly to the forum? Have you tried manually typing in the URL to the main address i.e. http://www.offcamber.net? Remember it's .net not .com. Not to be demeaning by that, but sometimes it's the little things that getcha. Like always checking the cables first or, does it have gas? :)

Jag_Warrior
02-14-05, 02:25 PM
I tried manually typing the .net address and everything else I could think of. I kept getting a Cannot Find Server message page.

The (P.O.S) laptop I have that runs XP is headed back to IBM, so I figured it might have been a hardware/software issue with it. But then my home Win 98SE PC wouldn't pull it up either. It may be a a local problem, because several other pages loaded very slowly... though they did eventually load. Off Camber was the only site I flat couldn't get in to.

I'll make some nasty phone callls to my service before I leave. Just glad to see you're still here. :thumbup:

fourrunner
02-14-05, 09:34 PM
Try Googleing "Off Camber Racing Forum"

It will show Off Camber powered by V Bulletin then hit the link

That's worked for me on the rare occasion I can't get in

nrc
02-14-05, 10:52 PM

That's interesting. I'm not sure why that would make any difference compared to just typing it in.

Michaelhatesfans
02-14-05, 11:39 PM
Remember it's .net not .com. Not to be demeaning by that, but sometimes it's the little things that getcha.
I've never done that. More than, oh, I don't know, a couple of dozen times.... :gomer: :laugh:

dando
02-14-05, 11:52 PM
That's interesting. I'm not sure why that would make any difference compared to just typing it in.
Google cached results show the IP address of the site being cached (in case of a DNS problem, or a drunken gin binge - see post above :) ). An old trick from the dysfunctional last daze of 7G. :)

-Kevin

fourrunner
02-15-05, 02:19 AM

I haven't the foggiest why it worked .... Dando's answer seems logical ... I just know that I didn't remmember the address one day when my normal links weren't getting me in, so I google a few different titles, and V bulletin finally showed up ... and "Bingo" it worked !

I was once told that computers are a mystery, and you shouldn't jinx things by trying to figure them out ! ;)

Jag_Warrior
02-15-05, 09:52 PM

Thanks... but I tried that too. I got the same error page.

Lucky for me, I pretty much live in hotels these days, so it's not that bad. I sent an email to my internet provider yesterday. I'll see what lies they come up with. They'll probably blame it on my computer(s). Maybe time to switch.

But thanks for the ideas, guys.

nrc
02-18-05, 10:46 PM
Hmm. We did take a little nap earlier this evening. :/

dando
02-19-05, 01:14 PM
Hmm. We did take a little nap earlier this evening. :/
I noticed some issues for ~30 minutes last night.

-Kevin

Jag_Warrior
02-21-05, 12:29 AM
It's my ISP at home. I'll just switch when my contract is up. I have to close and reopen my dial-up connection multiple times to do most anything now - and I can NEVER get in here for some reason.

Anyone ever tried DirecPC or whatever the satellite service s called?

Sean O'Gorman
02-21-05, 01:13 AM
It's my ISP at home. I'll just switch when my contract is up. I have to close and reopen my dial-up connection multiple times to do most anything now - and I can NEVER get in here for some reason.

Slower than DSL and more expensive, from what I've heard.

Skater_36
02-21-05, 03:50 PM

It's Directway and I'd only recommend it if cable or DSL is unavailable. Around $90.00 a month for the internet service and there are connectivity issues. If your only other choice is dial up and the price is acceptable then you may want to look in to it, otherwise, cable is the way to go.

KLang
02-22-05, 10:57 AM
It's Directway and I'd only recommend it if cable or DSL is unavailable. Around $90.00 a month for the internet service and there are connectivity issues. If your only other choice is dial up and the price is acceptable then you may want to look in to it, otherwise, cable is the way to go.

We've had Direcway for about a year and a half now. I agree you would only want it if cable or DSL are not an option, which is currently our status. Download speeds are pretty good but upload is probably actually slower then dial-up. The service is also more susceptible to rain-fade then satellite TV in my experience. That said, I have been generally happy with the service, it does beat dial-up.