PDA

View Full Version : IMSA Announces GT3 Cup Series

Sean O'Gorman
02-13-05, 06:03 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/15170/

If they can get a decent number of entrants this should be a fun one to watch. The 911 GT3 Cup can already run in WCGT, Grand-Am GT, and I'm sure in SCCA, PCA, and POC as well, so it looks like there are plenty of choices as to where you can race if you own one.

It probably wont be as exciting as the Supercup races though since they wont have the high talent level.

NismoZ
02-14-05, 04:43 PM
I'm not beyond thinking it could be MORE exciting BECAUSE it won't have as high a talent level! :eek:

TorontoWorker
02-15-05, 10:37 PM
This will be a total crashfest - which is just what PCNA wants. They can move the remaining 996 GT3 parts off the shelf before the new 997 GT3 (no date for the GT3 yet) hits the dealers.

Accipiter
02-16-05, 12:16 PM
Oh good. Now Americans can ram each others Porsches off the track the way Europeans do. ;)

Fio1
02-17-05, 12:26 AM
This will be a total crashfest - which is just what PCNA wants. They can move the remaining 996 GT3 parts off the shelf before the new 997 GT3 (no date for the GT3 yet) hits the dealers.

:shakehead 997 GT3 Cup car is already out, number 1. But, it has a sequential box, so it won't be eligible. The cars eligible for this deal are from 2002 to 2004's, with or without fuel cells, which makes all the SGS cars from last season's Grand-Am season eligible. Not sure if Motecs are allowed, or if you must use the stock shocks.

Number 2, this won't be any different from World Challange or Grand-Am Cup as far as talent. There will be a mix of good amateurs and some pros and up-and-coming drivers. Remember, Pat Long, Timo Bernhardt, Wolf Henzler and Jorg Bergmiester all came from the European Series, by the way of the German Series. Porsche will use this series like they do in Europe to train future American Stars. I bet you'll see all 3 16-year-old kids who did Daytona in this deal as well as some other Porsche backed guys in Racer Group Cars, Farnhbacher, Fly Lizzard, etc cars. You'll also have the Anders Heiners and Blake Rossers of the world, who can step on the gas but have regular jobs. This is going to be a cool deal, using cool cars that last all day long.

extramundane
02-17-05, 01:26 AM
I bet you'll see all 3 16-year-old kids who did Daytona in this deal as well as some other Porsche backed guys in Racer Group Cars, Farnhbacher, Fly Lizzard, etc cars.

While this series has "Racer's Group" written all over it, I can almost guarantee you won't see any Flying Lizard cars there. What little non-ALMS resources they have will be spent on Seth Nieman's SWC effort.

But then again, I'm an idiot, so what do I know.

Sean O'Gorman
02-17-05, 02:13 PM
If anyone read the article, it says that it is intended for drivers who do not make their living in the sport.

Beevis
02-17-05, 02:29 PM
If anyone read the article, it says that it is intended for drivers who do not make their living in the sport.
Given the current state of road racing here, that's about 98% of the "professionals." :D

Sean O'Gorman
02-17-05, 02:48 PM
Yeah but its those remaining 2% that would otherwise win all the races.

TorontoWorker
02-17-05, 09:08 PM
:shakehead 997 GT3 Cup car is already out, number 1. But, it has a sequential box, so it won't be eligible. The cars eligible for this deal are from 2002 to 2004's, with or without fuel cells, which makes all the SGS cars from last season's Grand-Am season eligible. Not sure if Motecs are allowed, or if you must use the stock shocks.

Number 2, this won't be any different from World Challange or Grand-Am Cup as far as talent. There will be a mix of good amateurs and some pros and up-and-coming drivers. Remember, Pat Long, Timo Bernhardt, Wolf Henzler and Jorg Bergmiester all came from the European Series, by the way of the German Series. Porsche will use this series like they do in Europe to train future American Stars. I bet you'll see all 3 16-year-old kids who did Daytona in this deal as well as some other Porsche backed guys in Racer Group Cars, Farnhbacher, Fly Lizzard, etc cars. You'll also have the Anders Heiners and Blake Rossers of the world, who can step on the gas but have regular jobs. This is going to be a cool deal, using cool cars that last all day long.

This is not the GT3 that was promissed by the factory last year. In fact I talked to Rick Bye over the summer and everyone was talking about the 4.0L motor as being a real monster and then.... well something happened as in the same old 3.6L with a few updates like a carbon airbox that has changed and slightly newer updated PCCB's and of course the new box as you mentioned.

But make no mistake - this was not supposed to be a warmed over motor project put in a new body. Budgets?? Who knows? I've heard the factory is putting money into a four door model... sigh.

As far as your thoughts that we will see some hot drivers such as the "kids"... I thought that both PCNA and IMSA wanted this to be a rich wanker guy class. Surely they won't allow a "Wolf":laugh: out among the sheep?

Fio1
02-18-05, 03:26 AM
Well, if this is indeed a meant to be a wanker class, then great! We need a propper series for the taxi drivers. Some where were they can learn some race craft, etc. Man, we had too many of these guys in the 24-Hours of Daytona. :rolleyes: Maybe, now they can get some propper seat time and come back with some skills (at least more then they have currently). There were some real winners out there 2-weeks ago.... :shakehead

TorontoWorker
05-09-05, 04:54 PM
:shakehead 997 GT3 Cup car is already out, number 1.

Remember your quote (above) in Feb 2005?

Well, ummmm, for number 1, you :shakehead were wrong. Don't you hate when people scroll back through posts... :laugh:

May 5th 2005 press release on race model of 997GT3:

"the company is introducing it (997GT3) in time for the 2006 Carrera Cup and expects it to continue for 2007 and 2008 seasons.

http://www.petrolheads.co.uk/porsche/default.asp?storyId=10540

Michaelhatesfans
05-09-05, 05:39 PM
Wow, man, you hold a grudge! :laugh:

TorontoWorker
05-09-05, 07:21 PM
Wow, man, you hold a grudge! :laugh:

Sorry, it's a gift I know... :laugh:

More like a good memory. Now if I could only make some serious money using these skills...