PDA

View Full Version : You cannot make this stuff up people.

Spicoli
02-11-05, 06:32 AM
“We’re going to need to keep all that equipment that Tom had for sale in the system. There were a lot of teams that were looking at acquiring bits and pieces of it, but I felt that the best opportunity was to try and keep it together.”

:gomer:

Yeah Tony, its important that you keep that **** together, lest it get lonely, you dumb****. Fer Chrisssakes, do you run any of this sewage by anyone before you open your piehole?

{linkage for Wilke}
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/10864168.htm

AND.......

Kelley deal a bad move by George
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/10864214.htm

Now Kelley Racing is no more, and the worst part is, it was done in by the very things the IRL was supposed to prevent: insane costs and sweetheart engine deals. What the IRL once gave, it now takes away, as remorselessly as any high-end racing series. It’s nothing more than CART all over again now, and Tony George is helpless to stop it.

The formation of his own team suggests he’s aware of this, smacking as it does of both crass nepotism and panicky desperation. Nepotism because George’s stepson, Ed Carpenter, will be his driver. Desperation, because the IRL is down to a handful of truly viable teams now, all of which answer to the names Penske or Ganassi or Rahal or Andretti.

Maybe George thinks his new team will help stop the bleeding, but it’s a horrible idea, the very worst. Even boxing, which mislaid its moral compass decades ago, has rules that prohibit the same person from both managing a fighter and promoting his fights. Now Tony George wants to run the IRL and one of its race teams?

I suppose we are down to about a handful of believers now. They are eating their own. :saywhat:

pchall
02-11-05, 07:31 AM
http://www.fortwayne.com/images/fortwayne/journalgazette/news/George2_02-10-2005_QV2S088.jpg

Has Tony gone back to Indiana State to do some post-graduate work in "slackjawed idiocy"? :gomer:

2DB
02-11-05, 10:38 AM
That the CEO of the LSC would field his own team, for what appears all the wrong reasons, does not shock me but for him to label it with "Vision", thats uncontrollable ego.

Kelvis

Dave99
02-11-05, 11:03 AM
There were a lot of teams that were looking at acquiring bits and pieces of it, but I felt that the best opportunity was to try and keep it together.”

What a savior! A real "Visionary". :thumbup:

Someone should put him in charge of the IRL. What? Oh... ;)

Jervis Tetch 1
02-11-05, 11:17 AM
I wonder if he uses a mood ring? It seems whenever it changes, so does his vision.

IlliniRacer
02-11-05, 12:25 PM
“We’re going to need to keep all that equipment that Tom had for sale in the system. There were a lot of teams that were looking at acquiring bits and pieces of it, but I felt that the best opportunity was to try and keep it together.”

It won't stay "all together" very long with Special Ed behind the wheel.

sundaydriver2
02-11-05, 01:37 PM
Toe knees vision goes according to his magic 8 ball if you know what I mean.

Ozarkian
02-11-05, 01:37 PM
Snip: "... but Kelley’s decision to get out created a great opportunity for someone.”

Snip II: "There were a lot of teams that were looking at acquiring bits and pieces of it, but I felt that the best opportunity was to try and keep it together.”

Spoken like a true vulture, Tony. You'll make a fine .1RL team owner.

TroyM1
02-11-05, 02:00 PM
I can hardly wait for Jack Arute's take on this. I'm sure he'll be all giddy about it.

CART T. Katz
02-11-05, 02:01 PM
you don't suppose someone with the initials kk, pg or jf was interested in buying some key parts of ex-team kelly do you? :gomer:

oddlycalm
02-11-05, 02:04 PM
smacking as it does of both crass nepotism and panicky desperation. What a shocker, eh?

It's mostly about salvaging a car on what will be a very reduced grid for the May snoozer. While 33 may be just a number, 7 rows instead of 11 might even register with the drunks and those there for "spectacle." It damn well will register with the network TV people and sportswriters. Assuming normal attritition, the latter stages of the race should be quite sparse. If this idiot could come up with the engines, you'd probably see an 8 car team of nonames come May.

oc

Spicoli
02-11-05, 03:08 PM
What a shocker, eh?

It's mostly about salvaging a car on what will be a very reduced grid for the May snoozer. While 33 may be just a number, 7 rows instead of 11 might even register with the drunks and those there for "spectacle." It damn well will register with the network TV people and sportswriters. Assuming normal attritition, the latter stages of the race should be quite sparse. If this idiot could come up with the engines, you'd probably see an 8 car team of nonames come May.

oc

Jon Herb sits patiently by the phone. :rofl:

Steve99
02-11-05, 03:31 PM

ROFL :rofl:

cart7
02-11-05, 03:42 PM

:rofl: Good one. It'll be the safety teams picking the "bits and pieces" of it up. :laugh:

Rogue Leader
02-11-05, 07:38 PM
Look at it this way maybe Special Ed will smack up so many cars that Uncle Tony goes bankrupt and has to sell the track...

Al Czervik
02-11-05, 11:11 PM
The most amazing thing, at least to my cold & flu drug addled mind, is that the .1RL appears to screaming full-bore towards a CART 2002 situation. Mercedes had already bailed due to the high costs, teams were folding due to lack of manufacturer support (AAR, PacWest), and many of those that remained were there only by sucking on the manu's teet (Nunn, Gan*******). Then CART stepped up to put Snot Dickson in a Gan******* car.

Now the .1RL has one manu bailing (Chevy), another making serious noises (Foyota) about leaving, original teams being priced out of business, and several teams feeding at Fondas and Foyotas teet. Now here comes Tonee to give Special Ed a ride.

CCWS has been blessed to have people with money, passion, and business smarts (nice article in Business Week about Carl Russo this week) to begin to put things right. I don't think there is enough gray matter at 16th and Georgetown to solve a TV Guide crossword.

The DTX Deathmobile has reached ramming speed, but Bagdad Bob Nation is screaming "Remain calm. All is well" This .1RL trainwreck is gonna be fun to watch :D

oddlycalm
02-12-05, 05:08 AM
The biggest irony of all is that the only people that are in a position to actually supply enough engines to save his dumbass race is Cosworth, and that happens to be owned by the very people that own the series he's been pissing all over and trying his best to kill..... :rolleyes: :laugh: :rofl:

Lets see, first Chevy announces, then the Nagoya mafia decide to only supply 1/2 the number of engines between them that TG needs to make his race whole, then Cosworth is bought by the owners of CCWS, and now TG decides to field a house team with Special Ed and Larry Lightfingers. He may have gone on a long bender, or he may have just quietly snapped, but regardless the guy is off his nut. I'm hoping that we get to see a very public unraveling.

oc

Spicoli
02-12-05, 09:27 AM
Damn you people are funny. :D

"Larry Lightfingers"

:cry:

gjc2
02-12-05, 01:30 PM
I'm hoping that we get to see a very public unraveling.

We are.

When the whole IRL nightmare is finally over TG will claim that it was a total and complete success. Our friends over at TF will agree.

George

Ozarkian
02-12-05, 06:04 PM
I'm hoping that we get to see a very public unraveling.
oc

Worth quoting twice. In light of the ego-driven insanity of the past dozen or so years and the near-decimation of the sport, the thought makes me smile. Let's hope the unravelling is painful, messy and complete.

sundaydriver2
02-14-05, 02:03 PM
The public unraveling will come soon. After the Yawner 500, the fireworks will begin and you'll see a slow burn as Yoda decides their off truckin' and money starts to go elsewhere.

Me can't wait. :thumbup: