PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else notice??

cart7
02-24-03, 12:15 PM
The opening to the race started with a little piece on Carts 25 years.

The piece started to concentrate on a Rutherford Penzoil Chapparral crash, it then moved to him in a neck brace being put on a stretcher.

Any coincidence Cart would concentrate on current IRL driving coach, in the Yellow Penzoil car(current champions car), being taken out of the car with an obvious "NECK" injury.

:confused:

Just coincidence I'm sure.;)

Hink
02-24-03, 03:27 PM
I had never seen that footage. At the time the race was shown (Phoenix Fall 1980 - over 22 years ago) they had an interview with Rutherford relatively soon after the accident where he seemed ok, despite the dent in his helmet. I should have realized it was tape delayed coverage.

No idea about the coincidence.

JoeBob
02-24-03, 03:55 PM
I want to know where all of that historical footage has been hiding! Bring it out of the archives, and fill some time on SPEED with it.

CART2Day
02-24-03, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
I want to know where all of that historical footage has been hiding! Bring it out of the archives, and fill some time on SPEED with it.

Ditto that.. MUCH rather see these than the snoozer (n)asscar races of the mid80s like they show on ESPN Classic.

Only time I can recallthis happening was after 99 was killed & they showed Milwaukee & Rio races as a GM tribute.. what a shame.

nrc
02-24-03, 04:14 PM
Seems like a great move by CART to claim their heritage. There has been an active effort from the IRL this season to adopt both the IndyCar moniker and it's heritage, including CART's years.

Was there any footage in there from the ESPN/ABC era. Unfortunately I think they control that footage.

Hink
02-24-03, 04:16 PM
Rutherford's flip was ABC for sure. That was the first year every race was shown on TV. Note that CART did this - not USAC.

RTKar
02-24-03, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob

Agreed, preempt those godawful truck races........the only thing pick -ups are good for is pulling fishing boats.

pchall
02-24-03, 09:00 PM
For many years I resented that ABC continually used that footage to promote its "sports" coverage. I guess I must be outside their intended demographics.