PDA

View Full Version : Another Street Racer bites the dust

JohnHKart
02-10-05, 09:32 AM
Scary how these kids do this with no car control skills, training or ontrack racing experience. I'm just glad this loser didn't take anybody innocent out. Good riddance.

John

La Mirada man involved in race

By Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell , Staff Writer

EAST WHITTIER -- Authorities on Wednesday identified a young man killed in a head-on crash that investigators believe was preceded by a street race.
County coroner's officials said the victim was 18-year-old Juan Aguero of La Mirada.

Meanwhile, California Highway Patrol officials continued investigating the collision, which occurred about 2:30 p.m. Monday on Imperial Highway, near Tigrina Avenue, in unincorporated East Whittier.

CHP officials are seeking information on the driver of a red, two-door, sports car-type vehicle witnesses said they saw racing against the Acura driven by Aguero. That second driver fled after the collision, officials said.

Witnesses said the two cars were traveling at up to 80 mph, driving in all lanes and on the center median, when the Acura lost control and crossed onto the wrong side of Imperial, slamming head-on into a Toyota Sienna minivan.

Aguero died at a hospital. Three people in the van, a mother and two children, were not seriously injured, officials said.

Because Aguero was not carrying any identification, it took authorities a few days to identify him.

Anyone with information about the race or the collision was asked to call Detective Pete Sutherland of the CHP's Santa Fe Springs Office at (562) 868-0503.

JLMannin
02-10-05, 12:45 PM
So, did he win before he took him self out?

Beevis
02-10-05, 03:29 PM
Well, one less moron to dilute the gene pool. . unless he already began breeding.

indyfan31
02-10-05, 08:51 PM
I wonder how it'll be before sherriffs set up in that section of Imperial Hwy and start ticketing speeders. It's 3 lanes on each side with no median. I've seen people going about 65 mph in what is a 45 mph zone. The downhill section is especially tempting to a teenager in a rice-rocket.

JohnHKart
02-11-05, 07:38 AM
Sherriff's Deputies actually do very little traffic work....In this area it's Highway Patrol although I'm not sure if they extend that far on Imperial. I drive too fast also....but not 80 in a 45 while racing somebody....sheesh!

John

Steve99
02-11-05, 03:18 PM
Three people in the van, a mother and two children, were not seriously injured, officials said.

Not even sure how this was possible. Very lucky it didn't turn out worse.

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-05, 07:48 PM
Wow, and only a month after this (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=258005) happened.

:D

indyfan31
02-11-05, 08:31 PM
Sherriff's Deputies actually do very little traffic work....In this area it's Highway Patrol although I'm not sure if they extend that far on Imperial. I drive too fast also....but not 80 in a 45 while racing somebody....sheesh!

John

I think you see the CHP there because Imperial Hwy is actually Calif. State Hwy 90, the rest of the surrounding area is L.A. Co. Sherriffs, unless Whittier has its own P.D.

JohnHKart
02-11-05, 10:45 PM
CHP also covers Leffingwell, Meyer Road, Carmenita, Mulberry...all areas that are not state highways. To illustrate my point, today I must have been doing 45 in a 30 on Meyer going west just before Carmenita...it has a hill so it's easy to go too fast....a Sherrif car was parked on the side of the street with a deputy in it, I thought for sure it was a ticket....But the vehicle didn't move.

John