PDA

View Full Version : Portland get's GI Joes as presenting sponsor:OFFICIAL

dreamracer
02-09-05, 09:05 PM
There are some other encouraging tidbits in here...

CHAMP CAR ANNOUNCES G. I. JOE’S TO BE PRESENTING SPONSOR OF CHAMP CAR GRAND PRIX OF PORTLAND

G. I. Joe’s 22 Pacific N.W. Retail Locations to Promote Champ Car

(Portland, OR. February 9, 2005). Champ Car World Series and Global Events Group announce that G. I. Joe’s will become the presenting sponsor for the 22nd running of the Champ Car Grand Prix of Portland to be held at Portland International Raceway June 17-19.

Joe Chrnelich, Executive VP of Champ Car stated “G.I. Joe’s has long played a key role in the success of the Champ Car events in Portland and we are thrilled that they are involved again. With support from companies such as G.I. Joe’s, we are certain that we will put on a first-class event in Portland with a great weekend full of activities.”

Mike Nealy, President of Global Events Group said “We are excited to have G. I. Joe’s back in the race as the presenting sponsor. This is a very positive statement to the community for them to return in a major role for the race weekend. They deserve great recognition for their support over the years and we are excited about their marketing plans for the race,” Nealy added.

“We believe in the new ownership of Champ Car and the tremendous event this is for Oregon and the Pacific Northwest” stated Norm Daniels, CEO of the Oregon-based company. “We plan to support the event with a significant dollar commitment and an aggressive marketing campaign leading up to race weekend” added Daniels.

The Champ Car Business Coalition, which consists of the Portland Business Alliance, the Oregon Sports Authority, POVA, the Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber and the Portland Rose Festival Association, was formed to strengthen the commitment of the business community to the race commended G. I. Joe’s for its leadership.

“We know this event has an $8 million annual economic impact on the state’s economy, and this event wouldn’t be possible without business leaders like Norm Daniels and G. I. Joe’s” stated Scott Andrews, President of Melvin Mark Properties and Chair-Elect of the Portland Business Alliance and Business Coalition member.

“We are working to bring other Oregon businesses into the race to develop the event as an economic development platform for Oregon and the region. We are fortunate to be on an internationally televised stage with Champ Car, and we hope other companies join G. I. Joe’s in support of the event” added Andrews.

The Oregon race will be shown LIVE on CBS for 2 ½ hrs on Father’s Day, June 19th, also live into 54 countries via Eurosport, live into Canada and a total of 180 countries worldwide will view the Oregon event.

Tickets go on sale this FRIDAY, February 11th, for the 22nd annual Champ Car Grand Prix of Portland presented by G. I. Joe’s at all G. I. Joe’s/Ticketmaster locations throughout the Northwest, or online at www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling the event Ticket Office at 503-821-4344.

oddlycalm
02-09-05, 09:44 PM
The Champ Car Business Coalition, which consists of the Portland Business Alliance, the Oregon Sports Authority, POVA, the Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber and the Portland Rose Festival Association, was formed to strengthen the commitment of the business community to the race commended G. I. Joe’s for its leadership After several dismal years of fear and loathing we are now back on track and are seeing commitment by the community and an effort to build up this event back up to it's former stature.:thumbup: A business coalition that includes all sectors of the business community is a very good start. We need to see the corporate chalets and block ticket buys return if we want to see this event get back to where it once was.

oc

cart7
02-09-05, 10:52 PM
Great news. As I said in the other thread, it's good to see some continuity with a naming sponsor for the race and the series. :thumbup:

Anteater
02-10-05, 03:12 PM
"Then it was on to Portland, Oregon for the G.I. Joe"
-Mark Knopfler, "Speedway at Nazareth"

Glad to hear that they're back! :thumbup: This bodes well for the CCWS.

Andrew Longman
02-10-05, 03:27 PM
:thumbup:

To think this might have been an IRL race.

I like the broad corporate support. Let's hope that is sufficient critical mass to really bring more on board.

Wabbit
02-10-05, 04:21 PM
"“We believe in the new ownership of Champ Car and the tremendous event this is for Oregon and the Pacific Northwest” stated Norm Daniels, CEO of the Oregon-based company. “We plan to support the event with a significant dollar commitment and an aggressive marketing campaign leading up to race weekend” added Daniels."

Hope they bring some of the marketing up to Seattle. I'd like to see some CART merchandise in the local stores again.

Michaelhatesfans
02-10-05, 09:12 PM
Blow it out 'yer ass, Tony! :cool: