PDA

View Full Version : Adrian goes the bubba route

Andrew Longman
02-09-05, 06:25 PM
http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/bg/02/09/afernandez_lowes/index.html

Reduced to celebrity (status) racing.

Chief
02-10-05, 11:14 AM
Mexico fans will learn the true meaning behind the word SIESTA while waiting for the tintops to turn a lap.

Methanolandbrats
02-10-05, 11:27 AM
"The Mexico City native is the country's most popular driver and one of its most popular athletes." WTF? I hope the tool finishes last.

mexican
02-10-05, 11:47 AM
that should be rephrased to "WAS the coutry's most popular driver" I can assure you more people like Lavin now than FAF.

he was voted most popular athlete a few years back, but mexicans, being the loyal bunch we are, did not take kindly to the stab in the back we got in exchange for japanese paper.

Andrew Longman
02-10-05, 11:49 AM
that should be rephrased to "WAS the coutry's most popular driver" I can assure you more people like Lavin now than FAF.

he was voted most popular athlete a few years back, but mexicans, being the loyal bunch we are, did not take kindly to the stab in the back we got in exchange for japanese paper.

Very interesting. I wonder how much of a surprise that is to AF.

Methanolandbrats
02-10-05, 11:59 AM

he was voted most popular athlete a few years back, but mexicans, being the loyal bunch we are, did not take kindly to the stab in the back we got in exchange for japanese paper. That's what I thought. I seem to remember you guys shut down his website :D

mexican
02-10-05, 12:31 PM
heh heh, not the web site, just the forums, which were the pride and joy of the site. I think his sister was the moderator there. I never participated, never was a huge fan of FAF, I respect everything he did before the big payoff though...

oh... just for good measure... FAF!!!

Andrew Longman
02-10-05, 01:37 PM
The dent to AFs celebrity couldn't come at a worse time. At 41 he'll soon need to earn his livlihood off that reputation. Guys like Richard Petty and Mario probably have earned far more in retirement with appearance fees and endorsements than they ever did racing. This one-off Busch race is just the beginning of that for AF, and he surely won't disappear from the Mexican landscape, but who knows what more he could have been doing in the future if he hadn't pissed people off.

Something to see that his one decision to jump to the IRL would be so "regretable" for him. Its possible the reduced lifetime earnings could surpass whatever he got from Honda and TG for one year.

OK, I'm done feeling sorry for him now. Glad the Mexican racefans are as informed and principled as they are.

chicanor
02-10-05, 01:42 PM
"The Mexico City native is the country's most popular driver and one of its most popular athletes." WTF? I hope the tool finishes last.

don't worry, he will...

Steve99
02-11-05, 03:20 PM
How many series does he need to retire from before he just goes away?