PDA

View Full Version : Interesting TV Coverage Column

pchall
02-24-03, 10:20 AM
complete column (http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/24/Grandprix/Broadcast_tough_for_r.shtml)

A small sample:

"...It didn't take long for viewers to feel the speed of Champ cars, and the early shots from behind the steering wheel were quite stunning.

"Unfortunately, it also made following the race more difficult, as did the multiple turns and quicker pace. Following the leaders during NASCAR telecasts is easy; Champ Car, not so much.

The quick turns and focus on the battles for position other than first made following the race and its rhythm impossible, at least for a novice. It was even a little dizzying..."

RaceGrrl
02-24-03, 10:37 AM
This guy is an idiot. First of all, he makes the mistake of thinking that CART fans are as ignorant as NASCAR gomers. He didn't even get the driver right in this part of the article:

"INTO THE FENCE: Mario Haberfeld and Jourdain Jr. fought for inside position and almost caused an accident early, and announcer Bob Varsha and analyst Tommy Kendall immediately blamed Haberfeld.

ONE MORE TIME?: Speed Channel replayed the Haberfeld-Jourdain Jr. near-collision ad nauseam. "

It was Junqueira, not Jourdain.

:thumdown:

pchall
02-24-03, 10:49 AM
Do you think that Fred Nation told him that all "openwheel" fans are gomers just like NASCAR fans? ;)

JSR
02-24-03, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
First of all, he makes the mistake of thinking that CART fans are as ignorant as NASCAR gomers.

:mad:

JoeBob
02-24-03, 11:42 AM
I didn't think the article was all that bad. These days, most Americans don't know (or care?) that auto racing exists outside of NASCAR. It seems to me that this guy is one of the "new NASCAR fans" getting his first exposure to another form of racing, something he wouldn't have watched if it wasn't in his home town. (And that is a key part of Pook's "Tagliabue strategy.")

I thought it was interesting to see some of his comparisons, and it sounds like he came away impressed, even if he got some of the details wrong. (And hey, some of those "newbie suggestions" aren't bad. Why weren't the on board cameras all labeled?)

RaceGrrl
02-24-03, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
These days, most Americans don't know (or care?) that auto racing exists outside of NASCAR.

My point exactly. Apparently this sportswriter feels the same way. He might have to work a little harder at watching a ChampCar race, so it's not worth the effort? That's what an average reader would take away from the article... it's interesting racing but the coverage sucks and it's too much trouble to watch, NASCAR is easier, better, blah blah blah.

The fact that he critcizes the coverage of the battle for second shows how little he knows. I do care about the position fights throughout the field, and don't like to miss a good pass for position because the cameras are shooting only the leader. He may be new to CART, but he's a journalist, supposedly, and should be a bit more knowledgable of his topic. Cotey may think it was hard to follow, but I don't want dumbed down racing coverage, which seems to me to be what he advocates.

JoeBob
02-24-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
My point exactly. Apparently this sportswriter feels the same way. He might have to work a little harder at watching a ChampCar race, so it's not worth the effort? That's what an average reader would take away from the article... it's interesting racing but the coverage sucks and it's too much trouble to watch, NASCAR is easier, better, blah blah blah.

I think we have differing takes on his attitude towards CART. I took it as, "These cars are a lot harder to drive than NASCAR, cool!" While you took it as, "These cars are a lot harder to follow than NASCAR, why bother?"

I'd be curious to know whether the writer will pay more attention to the champ cars in the future.

RaceGrrl
02-24-03, 12:28 PM
I think we have differing takes on his attitude towards CART.

I'd be curious to know whether the writer will pay more attention to the champ cars in the future.

I agree that we have different views of the article. So what else is new? :D I guess it will be intersting to follow up and see if he reports on Champ Cars again this season. My guess is that he won't bother.

Disclaimer: My attitude this morning may have been affected by my terrible commute. The normal 20 minute morning drive to work took an hour and a half because of the weather.

RacinM3
02-24-03, 12:29 PM
Funny, I didn't have any trouble following what was going on. Does the average American really need it gift wrapped and packaged and laid out on their plate in a super-easy to understand format?? If so, that's sad.

nrc
02-24-03, 12:53 PM
I think most of it is fair commentary from a new viewer's perspective. It suggests that SPEED and Lingner have been very successful at bringing the sense of speed and the excitement of these cars to the TV production. That's why we fans love the coverage.

Obviously the coverage was able to grab this new viewer with the speed and challenge of these cars, but I have no doubt that for a new viewer following the race itself is a bit challenging the first time out. Even for a regular fan, figuring out a new course takes some time.

I certainly wouldn't give up SPEED's tight, fast shots for ESPN's old wide, slow pans, but there are a couple of fair comments in there. One was that they missed showing some important passes or incidents live and even missed a few completely. Unfortunately that's probably more dues from those tight shots. The addition of more in-car cameras will help, but hopefully they'll continue to improve as the season progresses and they acclimate themselves to having some actual racing going on.

CART2Day
02-24-03, 04:21 PM
Where was PTs helmet cam?

Suspension cams? Manning did have one, but that was it.. no shifter cams? :thumdown:

RARules
02-24-03, 08:22 PM
I think we have differing takes on his attitude towards CART. I took it as, "These cars are a lot harder to drive than NASCAR, cool!" While you took it as, "These cars are a lot harder to follow than NASCAR, why bother?"

Feel free to send the author email complimenting him on writing about the race, perhaps make a few comments about how it's the triathlon of auto racing (the diversity) and maybe even include some of the Tracy comments about fitness and athleticism. Then confirm that these cars are real beasts to handle, like an average of 2Gs when going from 0 to 100 MPH, let alone the peak acceleration.

Make him feel good about CART, give him a few ideas - subtly making it seem like they're his in the first place.
----edit:
Oops, almost forgot the main point here - Then he's more likely to write about it in the future, especially if you pump him up about it in advance when the time comes. Supply URLs, ... Sort of like free PR.

pchall
02-24-03, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by RARules

----edit:
Oops, almost forgot the main point here - Then he's more likely to write about it in the future, especially if you pump him up about it in advance when the time comes. Supply URLs, ... Sort of like free PR.

OMG, another jerk off journo I need to do all the work for so he can report decently on my sport of choice? And I was thinking that John Kernan was a full time responsibility...

urf

Rus'L
02-24-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3
Funny, I didn't have any trouble following what was going on. Does the average American really need it gift wrapped and packaged and laid out on their plate in a super-easy to understand format?? If so, that's sad.

My second favorite sport is ice hockey, and everytime I hear a complaint from a non-hockey fan, "I can't follow the puck," I always feel like responding with, "Use your eyes!"

RARules
02-25-03, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by pchall
OMG, another jerk off journo I need to do all the work for so he can report decently on my sport of choice? And I was thinking that John Kernan was a full time responsibility...

urf
You're right, of course. But the world's more likely to respond to our sport if we evangelize it a bit. On the other side, TG & Co. are doing their best to crush it. Investing a bit to develop a few new friends for the sport could be helpful.

rabbit
02-25-03, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by pchall

urf :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: