PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice-Teen Drivers

DjDrOmusic
02-09-05, 02:55 PM
Ok, here are my options...

1.Allowing my two teenagers to get their licenses

2.Giving all my savings, worldly posessions, and future income to the insurance company

3.Enrolling them in the Mid Ohio Teen Driving course

4.Jumping off a tall building

5.All of the above

Anyone know if the Mid Ohio School counts towards getting a drivers license or if it's just an additional course? They will take it regardless, I'm not sending my kids out on CBus roads without being fully prepared! Yikes, I just realized I have 2 kids that want to drive, one admires PT and the other is in love with JEEMY.....God help me!! :cry: :saywhat:

Ankf00
02-09-05, 02:58 PM
6. don't get them their licenses and let them squirm and cry, and eat popcorn while you watch the implosion occur :D

RichK
02-09-05, 03:00 PM
If it's available to you, I highly recommend a little dirt bike riding to teach valuable skills that carry over to driving a car.

DjDrOmusic
02-09-05, 03:03 PM
If it's available to you, I highly recommend a little dirt bike riding to teach valuable skills that carry over to driving a car.

I have actually thought about that also! I have a friend who is very active in ABATE and teaches all forms of motorcycle riding.

rabbit
02-09-05, 03:04 PM
I highly recommend the Mid-Ohio School.

And just like race car drivers, the three most important things are seat time, seat time and seat time.

Sean O'Gorman
02-09-05, 03:07 PM
The Mid-Ohio school will count, but they'll still need to take the standard driver's ed courses anyway since the school is only 8 hrs or so and you need something like 20 of classroom education and 8 hrs of in-car or something like that. It's been 5 years since I got my license, so my memory has faded a bit. ;)

I've never taken it, but I would recommend doing something to make sure they have car control skills. I know that between perhaps 100,000+ miles of shuttling rental cars in many adverse weather conditions and my autocrossing, I've learned more about driving than 99% of the population, and it scares the hell out of me.

Using turn signals, speed limits, bla bla bla are all good things to learn of course, but IMO they don't mean a thing if you can't control your car on the ice or when the car in front of you comes to a suddent stop.

Warlock!
02-09-05, 03:11 PM
Give 'em the simulation Grand Prix Legends and don't let 'em sit in a real car's drivers seat til they can manage at least a sub 1:30 minute lap at Monza.

Then explain to them that opposite lock should be used less frequently on a road car.

anait
02-09-05, 04:05 PM
Dang, Doc, you're scaring me...our oldest is 2 1/2 yrs away from getting her learners... :eek:

The school sounds like a great idea, and I agree with rabbit on the seat time thing. I didn't learn until I was 25, taught by mr anait. What I realized after having driven for a year or so, was that I would have felt much better about the whole process if we'd taken WAY more time to get me comfortable behind the wheel, driving in low-stress situations. I felt like we'd done only the bare minimum before I was unleashed onto the streets (that sounds way worse than it was... :rofl: )...my unfamiliarity with the whole driving culture made it very stressful.

And definitely have them learn car control skills!!! I learned lots of theory from watching my mom and mr anait, who would always tell me what they were doing (e.g. how to counteract a skid, how to rock the car if you get stuck in snow, etc), but nothing compares to having it happen to you. The three accidents I've had (all in the first year I had my license) may have been prevented if I'd had more instruction in bad conditions driving/defensive driving - two were skids on icy roads, and one was a woman plowing into the side of me as I drove down the street on my way to an exam. :saywhat:

The most difficult thing for me to get past was my fear that cars would be coming at me from all directions with evil intent... :D Hm, perhaps that is a problem elsewhere, but not so much in these parts.

chop456
02-09-05, 04:08 PM
Give 'em the simulation Grand Prix Legends and don't let 'em sit in a real car's drivers seat til they can manage at least a sub 1:30 minute lap at Monza.

Then explain to them that opposite lock should be used less frequently on a road car.

:laugh:

KLang
02-09-05, 04:11 PM
The most difficult thing for me to get past was my fear that cars would be coming at me from all directions with evil intent..

Come visit most any large American city. There is reason to be afraid. :eek:

B3RACER1a
02-09-05, 04:14 PM
In a BRM! :D

anait
02-09-05, 04:16 PM
Come visit most any large American city. There is reason to be afraid. :eek:

Yes, I must say even being a passenger on Minneapolis freeways had me nervous. And mr anait informed me that those freeways were a breeze compared to what he remembered of Chicago. We are really spoiled here in Manitoba...our highways have almost NO traffic, compared with freeways in Toronto and Calgary...

SAdair
02-09-05, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the warning. I make sure to avoid them when I am driving through Columbus. Actually I may decide to challenge them to a road race. :p

Ok on a serious note- I am not sure if the Mid-Ohio class counts as drivers ed, but you might want to see if your insurance will give you a discount if they take additional training beyond drivers ed. Some companies will, of course mine won't.

PS- Be prepared for each to have atleast one accident within the first 12 months of getting their licence. Just pray it is a minor fender bender and not a totaled car.

Michaelhatesfans
02-09-05, 04:38 PM
It'll never happen. Surtees will have them off at the fist turn.

fourrunner
02-09-05, 04:56 PM
Let them get their license .. just parcel out the driving time until they get experience .... Delaying it will just delay the experience building, and they'll be 18, independent, and driving like amateurs

Limit or forbid having friends driving with them for awhile ... the temptation of A-hole friends in the back seat can be overwhelming ... That "Goody Two Shoes, Polite" friend can have that Eddie Haskell side to him

I think in Pennsylvania, a Junior License has a curfew, and a no passenger under 18 rule until your 18 and receive your senior license.

Just let them drive for necessary things not just to have fun

Make them contribute some of the Insurance Money, and let them know how much it costs ... Also let them know what happens to teenagers who have even the most minor of reportable fender benders.

Your apprehension will eventually go away as they progress !

Also remember what it was like when you wanted to first drive :)

JoeBob
02-09-05, 05:25 PM
Yes, I must say even being a passenger on Minneapolis freeways had me nervous. And mr anait informed me that those freeways were a breeze compared to what he remembered of Chicago. We are really spoiled here in Manitoba...our highways have almost NO traffic, compared with freeways in Toronto and Calgary...

If it makes you feel any better, I've met more than a few people from St. Paul who are scared of driving in Minneapolis. I can't imagine what they'd do if they had to drive in a real city. :D

Back on topic, here's my advice:
Stay off the sidewalks.

devilmaster
02-09-05, 05:26 PM
Jerry, my advice is to look around.

If you were here, I'd offer Young drivers www.yd.com

I went through them and they were great. They teach accident avoidance both in class and in car.

I would assume there is a drivers' ed class stateside that offers the same kind of training. Hope you find out what you need.

Steve

Gnam
02-09-05, 05:44 PM
Once they get their licenses, you don't have to worry about DUI's anymore. "Care for another drink? Sure, I don't have to drive home."

Plus they say going limp in an accident helps to reduce injuries. ;)

On the EVIL side :D , taking away a kid's license is pretty high up there on the punishment scale.

Ankf00
02-09-05, 05:51 PM
Let them get their license .. just parcel out the driving time until they get experience .... Delaying it will just delay the experience building, and they'll be 18, independent, and driving like amateurs

Limit or forbid having friends driving with them for awhile ... the temptation of A-hole friends in the back seat can be overwhelming ... That "Goody Two Shoes, Polite" friend can have that Eddie Haskell side to him

I think in Pennsylvania, a Junior License has a curfew, and a no passenger under 18 rule until your 18 and receive your senior license.

Just let them drive for necessary things not just to have fun

Make them contribute some of the Insurance Money, and let them know how much it costs ... Also let them know what happens to teenagers who have even the most minor of reportable fender benders.

Your apprehension will eventually go away as they progress !

Also remember what it was like when you wanted to first drive :)

I second this... Texas now has a graduated driver's license, and thank god! I never got my license till I was 18 and rarely drove even then, but my friends were hellions behind the wheel and we did some absolutely asinine things. And by some I mean almost always. Too many friends in the car means too much crazy **** that can happen. And as you can guess by crazy **** I mean very very bad ****. If it's just one friend in the car and no more, and nothing after 9 or 10, then I'd think they'd be muuuch safer. And hopefully you're kids are a boatload smarter than we were (not that it's that hard to accomplish) :D

RacinM3
02-09-05, 06:09 PM

I take it this means that Warlock! still doesn't have his driver's license.....

ooooooooooooooooooo :p

anait
02-09-05, 06:50 PM
I take it this means that Warlock! still doesn't have his driver's license.....

ooooooooooooooooooo :p

:rofl:

Michaelhatesfans
02-09-05, 08:02 PM
That "Goody Two Shoes, Polite" friend can have that Eddie Haskell side to him
Yeah, that was me! :laugh:

Rogue Leader
02-09-05, 10:54 PM
I don't know what your budget looks like, but bringing them to Skip Barber's Dodge High Performance Driving School is a REALLY good idea. I know of many parents who put their kids through it and were happy with the results, they will learn a whole lot about car control in a very safe controlled environment. Another POSSIBLE suggestion that I've seen is getting them a manual transmission car, while yes its tougher to learn, driving stick requires a WHOLE LOT more concentration and will very likely make them better drivers.

Mind you this is from someone who drove like an ass at 17 but I wish my parents had this forethought. I know of parents who have tried one or both of the above with very favorable results.

PS from an Insurance Agent's standpoint (my job) my advice is to let them get it ASAP because even though they wont have immediate "experience", when they are 21 and trying to get insurance on their own that time counts and can make a significant rate difference. It may suck for you now but it will make life a lot easier when they are poor college students later!

RHR_Fan
02-10-05, 12:21 AM
I'm glad my brother didn't post asking for advice when I started driving. :rofl:

Driving time is most important. I sort of had an advantage over others since I got my temps in Winter so I was able to practice Winter driving.

And remember it's better to say "oops, that's not the gas" (I've said the previous) instead of "oops, that's not the break."

~Nicole

Michaelhatesfans
02-10-05, 01:20 AM
...one admires PT and the other is in love with JEEMY.....God help me!! :cry: :saywhat:
I'd let the one that's interested in Jimmy drive, but I'd tell Mr. Chrome horn to forget it! :cool:

Warlock!
02-10-05, 10:09 AM
Warlock! has whipped up on my ass more times in GP Legends than I care to say, so I'd take him up on his idea... it sounds fabulous.

Thanks dude! :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
02-10-05, 10:29 AM
Mine are going to Skip Barber, autocrossing and iceracing before I'll let them drive anywhere but to school and back. They also need a proper teeage car. An old Mercedes Diesel.......4000lb and 0-60 in about 16 seconds is perfect.

race chica
02-10-05, 10:51 AM
I got my license 5 years ago this April and wasn’t allowed to drive for a year after that...of course this could have been caused by my first accident about 4 hrs after my first time behind the wheel. Let’s just say that my dad was trying to be the smart farther and teach his daughter how to drive on icy roads, but didn’t think that the ice on Lake Superior was safe enough to drive on yet so he took me to the county forest parking lot that had a grove of trees in the middle of it. I was doing great for about an hour and then kinda snapped a little tree in half when I skidded straight for it and put the breaks on instead of turning the wheel...oops, learned my lesson and haven’t hit a tree since, lol.

But seriously, I do think that some winter driving courses or safe driver courses are very good.

For insurance I pay (and have almost always paid) just over $350 every 6 months with State Farm. I have comprehensive coverage on my policy and drive a 2001 Chevy Prizm. So check them out. They also have this program for drivers under 25 called "Steer Clear." I just found out about it a few weeks ago and am going to my agent to see what it’s all about. I guess it can lower premiums up to 15%.

Good luck!

RacinM3
02-10-05, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by RacinM3

Warlock! has whipped up on my ass more times in GP Legends than I care to say, so I'd take him up on his idea... it sounds fabulous.

Thanks dude!

You should know by now that the word fabulous is not in my vocabulary!

Nice try though, you almost had me thinking you went and searched that out of another older post! :thumbup: :D

So, when are we going to race again? (Maybe this is a question for another new thread....)

Warlock!
02-10-05, 04:07 PM
So, when are we going to race again? (Maybe this is a question for another new thread....)
TaHellwiddit...

[thread hijack]
I'm up for it anytime... maybe even tomorrow night if I don't get roped into somethin else...

Should be comical, too. I've probably started that game a half dozen times in the last six months... and haven't raced online in a year or more. You'll hafta be gentle with me if we manage to hook up. [/thread hijack]

Brickman
03-02-05, 06:16 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/graphics/teendriving/flash.htm

Interesting stats with "crash rate state by state" along with heartache story.