PDA

View Full Version : Pace car crash video virus

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-07-05, 09:15 PM
Hi and Help!

Amanda clicked on the pace car crash viseo link associated with viruses and trojan horses. Her computer is now unusabe. the only web page she can access is Google, but there is a bunch of garbage there. the screen then goes black and says "You computer has a trojan horse". Click here to remov e it.

I am at a loss as to what to do, as is she. Anyone out there have experience removing the viruses after they clicked on the link?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

racer2c
02-07-05, 09:23 PM
If it's stable enough to get to the Internet than you should have enough time to envoke an anti-virus scan. If she isn't running anti-virus protection tsk tsk, there are some free ones available such as MicroSofts new one. In Internet Expolorer go to 'tools' on the tool bar and then 'Windows Update'. There you will be able to download their new anti-virus software.

The microsoft free tool is called 'Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830)'.

Mr. Vengeance
02-07-05, 09:34 PM
If you can figure out which virus it is, you might try going to mcafee (http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=vrt) and downloading one of their removal programs. Save it to a floppy and run it from the command prompt.

I'm sure Norton has similar programs.

AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php) is a great freebie anti-virus program, by the way.

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-07-05, 10:12 PM
Hi,

She had the latest update of AVG and the most recent virus definitions. When she got to the page, the AVG window popped up saying that a virus had been detected on the web site, and asked what she wanted to do. She chose to Heal it, which AVG said was successful.

She later ran the virus scan because AVG alsio detected about 20 viruses on Google. She kept clicking on heal. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. She then startyed the full virus scan and went to bed. When she`woke up, there were about 20 ad windows on her computer and her desktop screen had changed to: "Your relationships with your friends and family could be compromised due to what web sights you have gone to and (something about e-mails)" It also gave a link for removing the spyware. It was black with yellow lettering. The`task bar also had a new icon which was "supposedly" a spyware removal notification. She started closing out the windows. while closing out windows she accidently clicked on the link on the desktop screen. Low and behold it was for the same web sight as the new icon on the task bar. AVG also found another 12 viruses overnight. amanda is pretty computer smart usually.

I am famaliar with adware programs, that claim to be adware removal programs, and this is what it sounds like.

The computer is a month old. It was supposed to come with all of the latest updates and software. Well, tonight amanda checked it and the computer is up to date with 2001 versions :eek:

The local computer store owner by me (where she purchased the comoputer from) will not be amused, and will do everything possible to remedy this problem. I know him and he is a good guy.

amanda now has her old computer back up and running and will be checking in to provide further updates.

thanks for the input

racer2c
02-07-05, 10:28 PM
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot to scan for spyware. Each will find different things so I use them together.

Kiwifan
02-08-05, 12:10 AM
Use the programs already listed and you might get some good info here (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8428) . It is the faq from the broadband security forum site and has plenty of tips on how to get rid of the pests on your PC. I think you can get a trial on Trojanhunter which will let you know if someone has managed to sneak in to the PC.

Good luck.

Rusty.

Sean O'Gorman
02-08-05, 12:14 AM
Load the page up on a school computer and infect it so you can figure out what virus it is you need to have removed. :thumbup: I did that once to a computer at school last semester and I think it had an "out of use" sign up on it for like a week afterward.

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-08-05, 12:26 AM
thanks everyone for your replies,

Sean, I donl;t know if Amanda wants to go that far on this one.

Anything to add Amanda?

race chica
02-08-05, 02:49 AM
yes, thank you everyone...i will try to do what was suggested tomorrow...its too late now and i want sleep. And mom-- never under estimate your daughter when she is upset, i just might take sean's idea to the next level :)

Michaelhatesfans
02-08-05, 04:03 AM
Man, I'm really sorry guys... I didn't see that one coming. :(

Methanolandbrats
02-08-05, 09:51 AM
Was it this badboy..............PC32.exe.............w32/startpage.AGQ ?

Norman antivirus quarentined that right away. Norman is by far the best antivirus software. McAfee is crap and Norton misses lots of stuff too.

race chica
02-08-05, 12:38 PM
Man, I'm really sorry guys... I didn't see that one coming. :(

no worries, it wasnt your fault i didnt read further before clicking. i learned my lession and will always check before clicking away.

Wabbit
02-08-05, 12:46 PM
Try running any scans in safe mode. Usually a bunch of the stuff won't load correctly in safe mode and it'll give you the chance to try and clean it uip.

Once you get it running somewhat decent, I highly recommend backing up the data and reformatting. Nothing truely can get rid of all the spyware that may have been installed. Including the MS tools (trust me).

Ankf00
02-08-05, 12:47 PM
i have a few diff av programs ( computer associates, norton and zone alarm) and a few diff spyware programs (spybot, ad aware, and some tool from sbc yahoo dsl), the zone alarm and spybot are always running, and the others i use for scans every couple of weeks

Steve99
02-08-05, 04:07 PM
Norman antivirus quarentined that right away. Norman is by far the best antivirus software. McAfee is crap and Norton misses lots of stuff too.

Norman antivirus? How have I never heard of that. I thought you made a typo, but decided to google it. Will it conquer England once your computer is protected? :)

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-08-05, 08:15 PM
HI everyone,

thankls for the suggestions. i spoke wioth my computer guru today. He offered many very good suggestions which I sent to Amanda. Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon.

Amanda already has most of the programs he suggested. Just not on this computer.

One of us will let you all know what happens.

ncmlj
02-08-05, 09:12 PM
Havn't had a problem they couldn't fix.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

JohnHKart
02-09-05, 07:51 AM
I believe I too have a virus associated with that ****************** damn video. I'm still trying to get rid of the spy ware also....I've managed to get some of it off....But now even my Ad Aware doesn't even work.....It tries to delete the some 200 associated pieces of rubbish then just locks up. I had a trip to get ready for and alot of work to do for a gig last week after the trip, and that one damn video clip sure has made my life miserable. It's not anybody's fault....there was no way the poster could have known. I'm going to reinstall my Norton Anti Virus, I had it off because I couldn't get on Kazaa with it....but now I'm not using Kazaa anymore anyway.

John