PDA

View Full Version : Remember How Evil OWRS Is for owning teams and the series

SurfaceUnits
02-07-05, 12:00 AM
Ed Carpenter drove for Eddie Cheever last year during his rookie season in the IRL, crashed out of six races and didn't have his contract renewed for 2005. But Carpenter's new owner figures to be a little more understanding.

SPEEDTV.COM has learned that IRL founder Tony George is becoming an official car owner in the series he started 10 years ago. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway president purchased the cars and equipment from Tom Kelley so his step-son, Carpenter, will have a ride this season.

"Yes, we're in the process of getting everything finalized and I'm happy to have this deal done," said Kelley, who campaigned cars in the IRL since 1998 before closing the doors at the end of 2004.

"Tony is also going to run the team out of our shop in Indianapolis."

SteveH
02-07-05, 12:08 AM
The only thing that surprises me is that Kelly admits to it.

Sean O'Gorman
02-07-05, 12:09 AM
Larry Curry, who worked with Tony Stewart in their 1997 IRL championship, is reportedly the team manager.

So that's who is "backing" Curry these days.

Chief
02-07-05, 01:18 AM
Will the engine manufacturers provide the finest for this team and screw the others for FTG's satisfaction?

Methanolandbrats
02-07-05, 09:07 AM
Doing 200 + headed for a concrete wall knowing FTG was my car owner would make me queasy

JLMannin
02-07-05, 12:24 PM
This poses an interesting dilema - if TG gives himself the most special rev limiter, it may piss off AJ. If he gived the most special rev limiter to AJ, it may piss off Ed's mom.

What to do, what to do? :laugh:

pchall
02-07-05, 01:21 PM
This poses an interesting dilema - if TG gives himself the most special rev limiter, it may piss off AJ. If he gived the most special rev limiter to AJ, it may piss off Ed's mom.

What to do, what to do? :laugh:

Of course, it would really piss of Mr. Ed's mom if he got the special rev limiter and met the wall or the catch fencing in the south short chute. :saywhat:

stymie
02-07-05, 01:53 PM

Curry, is currently working for Tony Stewart as the Manager of the USAC division cars from Midgets to Silver Crown. He is also assisting some of the IPS Cars as an advisor.

I believe that PDM would be involved before Curry or else IMO we would have heard the story as Tony Stewart buys Kelly Racing equipment - even if TG was buying. But then again mybe the deal goes south because Kelly let the cat out of the bag so to speak?

Audi_A4
02-07-05, 02:04 PM

Didn't he go to prison for stealing $$$$ from John Menard?

stymie
02-07-05, 02:10 PM
Yes he did.

Audi_A4
02-07-05, 03:10 PM
Yes he did.
what was the deal there?

Spicoli
02-07-05, 03:19 PM
what was the deal there?

Biggie trubble in Gomerville.

fourrunner
02-07-05, 03:33 PM
With that crew, it sound's like Dr. Phil should be on staff!

pineapple
02-07-05, 03:39 PM
Maybe this is one reason why he stepped down - didn't want to give the appearance of conflict of interest. ;)

With Eddie's luck, TG'll run the team with the same panache and level of success as he's run his league. He might even take a page out of Foyt's book, and throw his hammer around when he gets mad. :)

rabbit
02-07-05, 04:00 PM
Careful, you can get banned from TrackForum for saying that.

/been there, done that

Wheel-Nut
02-07-05, 04:31 PM
What happened to the other TG family member that was running in Atlantics last year? Is he still racing?

SteveH
02-07-05, 04:36 PM
Kyle Krisiloff - nephew to TG, now running in ASA

http://www.asaracing.com/driver-detail.asp?DriverID=365

Wheel-Nut
02-07-05, 04:37 PM
^^ Ah yes, I remember now.

stymie
02-07-05, 04:51 PM
what was the deal there?

I will try to recap as I remember it.

Curry had recieved permission from John Menard to sell of some of the older equipment to help offset cost of new equipment by selling used parts to other teams.

Curry did so but he did not always report accurately what he was selling and doctored invoices so that John was satisfied with the transactions. Ya know he sold it for $125,000 but invoices said $100,000.

Larry I think spent 2 to 3 years in prison for this and when he was released auctioned off a bunch of his trophies and memorabilia to help repay his fines and debts.

Curry and Stewart have remained friends and he was given the job working for Tony when Tony set up his Midget and Sprint Car teams. George Snider was the Manager for the Silver Crown Team, but Curry assumed that duty this year and George resumed running his own team.

Accipiter
02-07-05, 05:03 PM
If Tony now belives it's OK a the series owner to field a team, his transiton to the CART side is now complete. ;)

RTKar
02-07-05, 07:05 PM
If Tony now belives it's OK a the series owner to field a team, his transiton to the CART side is now complete. ;)

Not really......not until he changes his name to Chris Pook.

Sean O'Gorman
02-07-05, 08:35 PM
Curry, is currently working for Tony Stewart as the Manager of the USAC division cars from Midgets to Silver Crown. He is also assisting some of the IPS Cars as an advisor.

I believe that PDM would be involved before Curry or else IMO we would have heard the story as Tony Stewart buys Kelly Racing equipment - even if TG was buying. But then again mybe the deal goes south because Kelly let the cat out of the bag so to speak?

I knew that, I was just making a crude prison sex joke.

pchall
02-07-05, 08:42 PM
I will try to recap as I remember it.

There was also the billing of a lot of 'work' to a phantom company for work not done. Curry should have worked for Halliburton.

indyfan31
02-07-05, 09:02 PM

If he'd done this 10 years ago there would have been no need for an IRL (not that there ever was a need for it). He wanted to have a say in how CART did business, all he had to do was become a team owner. It would have saved him a few 100 million dollars too.

Mr. Vengeance
02-07-05, 09:09 PM
There was also the billing of a lot of 'work' to a phantom company for work not done. Curry should have worked for Halliburton.

And if I'm not mistaken, the name of that company was either "Total Fabrications" or "Complete Fabrications".

Either or, :D.

trauma1
02-09-05, 11:08 AM
well hold on to your sets and try not to laugh to hard, FTG is call his team :rofl:

The team, which is likely to be called 'Vision Racing', :rofl: :rofl:

pchall
02-09-05, 11:17 AM
And if I'm not mistaken, the name of that company was either "Total Fabrications" or "Complete Fabrications".

Either or, :D.

I think it really was called 'Total Fabrications'... gotta love a crook with a sense of humor!