PDA

View Full Version : Topic: Why do you dislike Villeneuve

ilferrari
02-06-05, 09:11 AM
I have to ask this after reading spiteful comments all over the place about Jacques or Cheques or whatever you want to call him: what is wrong with the guy? You complain about people lacking character and when there is one he gets criticized for it. I don't blame him for being paid well and for saying what he thinks, even though I disagree with some of it. I agree that some of the stuff he said about Button was bitchy and lame. ANyway, please elaborate..

Railbird
02-06-05, 09:19 AM
I like Jacques but I understand the resentment toward a guy who pissed away the better part of his career for a big paycheck.

But then again if Honda comes a callin with a wad of cash...

RTKar
02-06-05, 09:56 AM
I like Jacques but I understand the resentment toward a guy who pissed away the better part of his career for a big paycheck.

But then again if Honda comes a callin with a wad of cash...

I've always liked the guy, he dances to the beat of a different drummer something not that common in F1. Looked at a different way, his Honda situation could be one of loyalty to the school teacher and the lack of results, a fault of the rising sun team. One thing he could be charged with is not building the team ala Schumi. What we don't know is all the politics involved.... If you saw him in CART in 94 and 95 as I did, you saw one hell of a driver and after all is said and done, he's won more WDC's than his father.

chop456
02-06-05, 11:16 AM
Lack of commitment to the team and things like testing and appearances.

What I do like?

His willingness to choke JPM in Montreal.

Jervis Tetch 1
02-06-05, 01:11 PM
I don't dislike him.

TrueBrit
02-06-05, 01:49 PM
Patrick Head attempted to dispell the rumours about his lack of willingness to test, speaking about the hours and hours that JV put in when he was at Williams..you know, where he won the WDC...

I like him because he is not a corporate spokesman, calls them as he sees them, and drives the wheels off his car...sort of like his old man.

He is one of the few men that have beaten Schumacher in a straight fight. Even AFTER the chin tried to drive him off the road.

His comments about Button were beneath him, and probably a reaction to the annointing that the press had given Boyband before he had ever really proven himself. All JV had done prior to F-1 was win the CART championship in his second year and finish no lower than 2nd in the Indy 500 the two times he ran there...If Capt Liverspots hadn't driven a 1000 hp stock-block through the Indy 500 loophole-ridden 'rulebook' young master Villeneuve would have won both 500's that he entered.

In Australia in his first GP he grabbed pole, and would have been the first guy since some other no-talent North American named Mario Andretti, to have won his first Grand Prix were it not for falling oil pressure.

I have missed his fire, his passion and his candor this last year and I hope that Sauber get their house in order to enable him to join his rightful place, up front, scrapping with the other big dogs.

I like him because he RACES.

jonovision_man
02-06-05, 01:56 PM

I don't think people fully appreciate the role Craig Pollock had in first building up then destroying Jacques' career... he comes off as a rebel who does things his own way, but I think he's actually quite heavily influenced by Pollock. In the case of BAR, to his detriment.

I like Jacques a lot, I think he's a character and is a hell of a charger on track.

And the fact that he's Canadian has nothing to do with it. ;)

jono

Dirty Sanchez
02-06-05, 03:00 PM
where do I begin? :laugh:

he's such a tool.

Dr. Corkski
02-06-05, 06:01 PM
I like Jacques Villeneuve. Great snowmobile racer.

jonovision_man
02-06-05, 06:45 PM
I like Jacques Villeneuve. Great snowmobile racer.

Clever :D

I'd say we're talking about the F1 driver but IIRC uncle Jacques also did a stint in F1, albeit a complete failure. :)

jono

TorontoWorker
02-06-05, 08:54 PM
where do I begin? :laugh:

he's such a tool.

Takes one to know one mode.

Ed_Severson
02-06-05, 09:33 PM
Lack of commitment to the team and things like testing and appearances.

This is the one you'll hear most often from people, and I have to admit ... this makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I recall reading a story around 2000 or so regarding BAR's off-season testing. Their first full test day, the car was terribly slow, and Villeneuve came in straight away and told them the front end of the car wasn't stiff enough.

The bullheaded engineers and idiots running BAR at the time blew him off, told him to shut up and drive the car, and that the chassis was plenty stiff.

Six months later, after a half-season of lousy results, they found out that the chassis wasn't stiff enough up front.

Had I been in his position, I would have started showing up to collect a paycheck too. When a world champion who's that good with technical feedback tells you there's a specific problem with the car and you give him the PR equivalent of the bird, you don't deserve him.

Did he give up on BAR? Absolutely. Given how they treated him and how incompetent they were, though, I can't blame him for that.

racer2c
02-07-05, 12:36 AM
I dislike JV cuz he's an F1 racecar driver, rich, has a hottie girlfriend and lives in Monaco.

Dirty Sanchez
02-07-05, 10:11 AM
he's a quitter.

DjDrOmusic
02-07-05, 11:52 AM
In Australia in his first GP he grabbed pole, and would have been the first guy since some other no-talent North American named Mario Andretti, to have won his first Grand Prix were it not for falling oil pressure.

Not trying to be a smart @$$, but Mario didn't win his first Grand Prix either. If I'm not mistaken that was Watkins Glen in 1968, and he fried the transmission on the starting grid. His first Grand Prix win was South Africa, I think in 1971, for Ferrari and he followed it a few weeks later with a win at the Questor Grand Prix, at Ontario in California.

Fried
02-10-05, 12:19 AM
he's got the most ****ing annoying fans in all of racing :cry:

plus, if you ever read up on him, you discover that the only quality he reflects accurately of his fanboy base is his individual approach to the biz. in every other way he's a fake. he doesn't like interacting with fans, hates sponsor commitments, plays childish mind games with teammates and, well, he's ****ing slow...

but i don't hate him. i love everyone. (i did enjoy jensy pantsing him after he talked smack, though) :laugh:

racer2c
02-10-05, 12:32 AM
he's got the most ****ing annoying fans in all of racing :cry:

plus, if you ever read up on him, you discover that the only quality he reflects accurately of his fanboy base is his individual approach to the biz. in every other way he's a fake. he doesn't like interacting with fans, hates sponsor commitments, plays childish mind games with teammates and, well, he's ****ing slow...

but i don't hate him. i love everyone. (i did enjoy jensy pantsing him after he talked smack, though) :laugh:

Right, he's a slow CART/world champion. Good observation. :) :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
02-10-05, 01:13 PM
Villeneuve sucks. Welcome to the 21st century. :thumbup:

RichK
02-10-05, 01:24 PM
I'm a big fan of Jacques. He's a real racer. I like his approach and his mindset when racing.

Easy
02-10-05, 04:06 PM
Not trying to be a smart @$$, but Mario didn't win his first Grand Prix either. If I'm not mistaken that was Watkins Glen in 1968, and he fried the transmission on the starting grid. His first Grand Prix win was South Africa, I think in 1971, for Ferrari and he followed it a few weeks later with a win at the Questor Grand Prix, at Ontario in California.

I think only two have ever won their first GP since the re-organization in 1950. This includes the winner (Fagioli?) of the first post re-organization GP even though it was not his first F1 race. Confused?

Dirty Sanchez
02-10-05, 04:12 PM
Giancarlo Baghetti

1961 - Won first three F1 GP ever entered. Won non-championship Syracuse & Naples GPs (Ferrari), and World Championship race French GP at Reims in FISA entered Ferrari. Retired from other two GPs entered. 9 points. (FISA = Federazione Italiane Scuderie Automobilistiche)

cart7
02-10-05, 04:20 PM
I don't dislike him but his chasing the dollar at BAR was sad to see. The kid had tons of potential and never fully realized any of it.

Robstar
02-10-05, 06:30 PM
Cause he went out with Dannii Minogue post surgery...

Nah, I like JV... :thumbup: :thumbup:

JoeBob
02-10-05, 06:39 PM
I remember sending something to JV after his last season in CART. It came back autographed, with a letter. The letter said that he was going to F1 the following season, and would no longer be signing autographs.

I remember thinking, "What a tool."

I wonder if I still have that letter somewhere. The most ironic part was that he actually signed it. (Really, initialed it, but it was "signed" in pen.)

oddlycalm
02-11-05, 06:55 PM
If you saw him in CART in 94 and 95 as I did, you saw one hell of a driver Absolutely. I could give a s*** that he doesn't like doing appearances, I wouldn't either. BAR was a sorry mess, but the rap on testing is entirely wrong, and those in the know from Williams and Honda have said so.

As far as JV being a quitter, Button also did everything in his power to walk as well due to Richards even though he was having a successful season. Actions speak volumes, and when two different top drivers want out two consecutive seasons, only a fool would blame the drivers.

I like drivers that race, and JV is a racer with major skills.

oc

rabbit
02-12-05, 01:39 AM
In a four-year span Villeneuve won :

-- CART rookie of the year
-- (Pre-split) Indy 500 rookie of the year (P2)
-- His first CART race at Road America (a driver's track)
-- A CART championship
-- A (Pre-split) Indy 500
-- An F1 Grand Prix in his fourth race (the first driver to do so since some guy named Emmerson Fittipaldi)
-- And the World Driving Championship

And he did all of this with the pressure of the eyes of the F1 world on him as the son of a late F1 legend/god.

It is simply not possible to "suck" and do all that.

Dirty Sanchez
02-12-05, 04:42 AM
innernet t-ball.can't wait til montag. :gomer:

jonovision_man
02-12-05, 09:37 AM
In a four-year span Villeneuve won :

-- CART rookie of the year
-- (Pre-split) Indy 500 rookie of the year (P2)
-- His first CART race at Road America (a driver's track)
-- A CART championship
-- A (Pre-split) Indy 500
-- An F1 Grand Prix in his fourth race (the first driver to do so since some guy named Emmerson Fittipaldi)
-- And the World Driving Championship

And he did all of this with the pressure of the eyes of the F1 world on him as the son of a late F1 legend/god.

It is simply not possible to "suck" and do all that.

:thumbup:
Agreed... if he sucks, how bad do all the people he beat suck? :p

I just wish the man hadn't piddled away his career with CP over at BAR. What a waste.

jono

Dirty Sanchez
02-13-05, 03:04 PM
:laugh:

02/13/05 Sauber to replace Villeneuve before year is over Rumors are already starting that Jacques Villeneuve won't last the full year at Sauber. Smoked by teammate Jenson Button at BAR that saw him fired by the team after 2003. Renault picked him up for the last three races of the 2004 season and teammate Alonso easily beat Villeneuve in every qualifying session and race. So far this year at Sauber teammate Felipe Massa has buried Villeneuve in just about every test session. Villeneuve has used the excuse that the new Sauber suits Massa's driving style and not his, the fact of the matter is that Villeneuve appears to have lost the edge, and in F1, where performing on the track is everything, that means he won't be around much longer.

montlhery
02-13-05, 08:20 PM
Casting another vote for JV.

He's got talent, he's got b@lls, he's got brains. Ok, he's quirky and there have been better drivers. But he's got a je ne sais quois.

Speaking as one who knows him personally, I can't help but like the guy.

jonovision_man
02-13-05, 08:48 PM
. But he's got a je ne sais quois.

Apprantly Crapus ne sais quois either. ;)

I know, I just butchered the French language... hopefully the Quebec language police won't notice... they didn't get Newtown! :)

jono

montlhery
02-14-05, 07:39 AM
Apprantly Crapus ne sais quois either. ;)

I know, I just butchered the French language...
jono

I think you also butchered the English language: "apprantly"?? :) :gomer:

jonovision_man
02-14-05, 09:13 AM
I think you also butchered the English language: "apprantly"?? :) :gomer:

Wow, I've been misspelling that for years... :)

jono

ilferrari
02-28-05, 01:22 PM
This is one of the reasons I like Jacques:

Villeneuve: I'd be dead (http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/050228104116.shtml)

He's not the best driver but he has a romantic approach to racing.

Dirty Sanchez
03-06-05, 02:10 PM
villeneuve sucked hard yesterday.

no reliability issue to hide behind and no david richards to blame. I think its aboot time dude quit for good.

what's the latest fanboy defense? :laugh:

racer2c
03-06-05, 05:57 PM
villeneuve sucked hard yesterday.

no reliability issue to hide behind and no david richards to blame. I think its aboot time dude quit for good.

what's the latest fanboy defense? :laugh:

Fisrt race of the season, on a new team. Puts it fourth on the grid and goes backwards very quickly suggesting car problems. Not the race he wanted of course, but I think he showed speed.

But Crapus Knoooooooows racin'!! :gomer:

Ankf00
03-06-05, 06:04 PM
Fisrt race of the season, on a new team. Puts it fourth on the grid and goes backwards very quickly suggesting car problems. Not the race he wanted of course, but I think he showed speed.

But Crapus Knoooooooows racin'!! :gomer:

quals had rain, that 4th is meaningless, and with fuel loads in response to the new qual rules, if he's going backwards after qualifying 4th, it's not the car's fault...

jonovision_man
03-06-05, 06:13 PM
quals had rain, that 4th is meaningless, and with fuel loads in response to the new qual rules, if he's going backwards after qualifying 4th, it's not the car's fault...

"Going backwards" was expected, after practice and qualifying it was pretty clear the Sauber was off the pace. Massa and Jacques were both nowhere. Although Jacques had a really good tangle with Alonso for a few laps, that was entertaining at least.

Not much to cheer about if you're a Jacques fan, though... he didn't impress and the car he's got looks like crap.

jono

Methanolandbrats
03-06-05, 06:44 PM
Jack did ok. Two quotes stand out "I was getting bored with winter testing" (typical ;) ) and he thought the changes would make the racing worse (right on target).

RTKar
03-06-05, 07:07 PM
I think the guy just likes to race. He doesn't need the money, he certainly doesn't need nor want the fame. I've always liked the guy, like I mentioned before, he dances to the beat of a different drummer unlike so many in F1.

racer2c
03-06-05, 07:29 PM

Did you even watch quals? JV was the fisrt to go out on dry, spun on his warm up lap and still stuck it in fourth which held up the next day.

You comment about going backwards just proves yet again that you know absolutly nothing about auto-racing. Stick to airplanes. :gomer:

Ankf00
03-06-05, 07:32 PM
exactly, he qualled dry, had light fuel, and STILL pulled a DNFisher...

and you're wrong on the other count too...

CaboWabo
100+ posts
03/06/05 04:03 PM

Re: NASCAR Busch @ Mexico [re: TexasOwnzYou]

Damn...this is boring. Road courses absolutely suck.

badexcuse
500+ posts
03/06/05 04:09 PM

Re: NASCAR Busch @ Mexico [re: CaboWabo]

Yep, I'm about to switch to golf since Phl and Tiger seem to be going down to the wire in Miami at Doral.

these are those who know absolutely nothing about racing :p

Dr. Corkski
03-06-05, 10:22 PM
IIRC Fisico was the only other driver who recorded a time on slicks on Saturday. Which means Webber and Trulli managed faster times than JV on intermediates.

The only "problem" mentioned by JV in the post-race press release was that his car was "difficult to drive" and he couldn't find any grip, which was basically echoed by Massa about the car, but miraculously Felipe managed to drag that car up to 10th from the back of the grid. Even Ralfie in a Toyota (which you know is had to be the worse manufacturer ever, because CdM couldn't win with it), managed to finish ahead of JV despite making 1 extra pitstop.

racer2c
03-06-05, 10:29 PM
IIRC Fisico was the only other driver who recorded a time on slicks on Saturday. Which means Webber and Trulli managed faster times than JV on intermediates.

The only "problem" mentioned by JV in the post-race press release was that his car was "difficult to drive" and he couldn't find any grip, which was basically echoed by Massa about the car, but miraculously Felipe managed to drag that car up to 10th from the back of the grid. Even Ralfie in a Toyota (which you know is had to be the worse manufacturer ever, because CdM couldn't win with it), managed to finish ahead of JV despite making 1 extra pitstop.

Slicks in standing water vs. intermediates in the steady rain they where designed for. Close your eyes and 'envision' the scenario. :gomer:

They should rip his world champion title from him he sucks so bad! While they're at it, take his CART title too.

Shame JV, shame on you for sucking so bad! (in your first race on a new team).

Golden boy Giancarlo has been in F1 how long? Oh, that's right, TEN YEARS! :)

Ankf00
03-06-05, 10:46 PM
Golden boy Giancarlo has been in F1 how long? Oh, that's right, TEN YEARS! :)

he was putting bennetons on podiums with the same crappy engine JV suffered with at BAR, stints at jokes like Jordan weren't for his lack of abilities

racer2c
03-06-05, 10:48 PM
he was putting bennetons on podiums with the same crappy engine JV suffered with at BAR, stints at jokes like Jordan weren't for his lack of abilities

More proof Jaques sucks! Weee WEee WeWee!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Corkski
03-06-05, 10:48 PM
he was putting bennetons on podiums with the same crappy engine JV suffered with at BAR, stints at jokes like Jordan weren't for his lack of abilitiesYou're only allowed to blame the car when it's driven by guys who used to be in Champ Cars. :gomer:

racer2c
03-06-05, 10:49 PM
Aerodynamics mean absolutly nothing in F1. You guyzes are S.M.A.R.T.!!

Dirty Sanchez
03-07-05, 12:40 AM
fisichella's first race with a new team iirc. he did alright.

jv just sucks... :laugh:

jonovision_man
03-07-05, 08:36 AM
exactly, he qualled dry, had light fuel, and STILL pulled a DNFisher...

I think you're confused... he was only so far ahead in qualifying due to conditions, not due to having a fast enough car to be there. Ergo, any reasonable person would have expected him to finish well down the grid from where he qualified.

No, what I think made him look bad was finishing behind his teammate who started low on the grid. Sure, different strategies, but he still should have been able to beat him.

jono

Ankf00
03-07-05, 09:47 AM
I think you're confused... he was only so far ahead in qualifying due to conditions, not due to having a fast enough car to be there. Ergo, any reasonable person would have expected him to finish well down the grid from where he qualified.

No, what I think made him look bad was finishing behind his teammate who started low on the grid. Sure, different strategies, but he still should have been able to beat him.

jono

don't bring logic into this, boy. that's got no place in this here debate :gomer: