PDA

View Full Version : Hockey and the Octopus

Michaelhatesfans
02-04-05, 05:54 PM
Just found this. One of those bored searches.... It's a how and why regarding the art and tradition of octopus throwing. I found it to be, well, interesting. :laugh:

"Octopus hurlers try to buy tickets for aisle seats, so that they can stand up quickly after the Red Wings score and take a good windup without hitting the person behind them.
The experienced thrower grabs the octopus around the middle of the tentacles, with the head down near the back of the thrower's knee, and swings with an overarm motion, as though lobbing a grenade.
'That's the only way you're going to get any leverage,' Cusimano said. 'You try to throw it like a baseball and you're going to throw your shoulder out.'
Inexperienced octopus throwers sometimes make the mistake of holding the tentacle tips, only to have the octopus head break off during the windup."
http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/TCP/faq/TCPfaq2b.cfm?ID=59

Dr. Corkski
02-04-05, 06:12 PM
When it comes to hurling objects into the field of play, Detroit fans are second to none.

dando
02-04-05, 06:35 PM
Well it appears they won't need to worry about the technique for throwing those for quite awhile. :(

-Kevin

Night Train
02-04-05, 08:01 PM
RIP NHL, we hardly knew ye

pfc_m_drake
02-04-05, 10:33 PM
Well it appears they won't need to worry about the technique for throwing those for quite awhile. :(

-Kevin
:( :(

Winston Wolfe
02-04-05, 11:12 PM
Just found this. One of those bored searches.... It's a how and why regarding the art and tradition of octopus throwing. I found it to be, well, interesting. :laugh:

"Octopus hurlers try to buy tickets for aisle seats, so that they can stand up quickly after the Red Wings score and take a good windup without hitting the person behind them.
The experienced thrower grabs the octopus around the middle of the tentacles, with the head down near the back of the thrower's knee, and swings with an overarm motion, as though lobbing a grenade.
'That's the only way you're going to get any leverage,' Cusimano said. 'You try to throw it like a baseball and you're going to throw your shoulder out.'
Inexperienced octopus throwers sometimes make the mistake of holding the tentacle tips, only to have the octopus head break off during the windup."
http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/TCP/faq/TCPfaq2b.cfm?ID=59

With "heightened" security at all sporting events \ stadium events \ concerts and the like, I have still wondered how these people get the said "octupi" through the "increased' security personnel.
in addition, it must not be too "fresh" smeliing to sit next to the guy who is prepared to lob the dead serpent on to the ice.... I mean, what if it takes until the third period to score, or declare the victory.
I recall many years ago being at the GW Forum, watching the Gretzky Kings play Detroit, and typically the score was 5-4, and a guy two rows or so behind me stands up and lobs the octopus on the ice, and security comes down to try and get him.... he starts jumping through sections, trying to get away, but the crack security team tracked him down. the smell.... ohhhh the smell....

Jervis Tetch 1
02-05-05, 12:10 AM
I remember during the 87-88 in Los Angeles (pre Gretzky), some "fan" threw a chicken with a cape attached on the ice. The poor cluck's cape was purple (the Kings used to be Purple/Gold) and I remember several players just looking at it dumbfounded.

The perpetrator was than taken out by perplexed security guards.

Tifosi24
02-05-05, 01:14 PM
When my college players the University of Minnesota you can generally expect someone to throw some dead gophers onto the ice at the end of the game. But this year a guy in the student section took it to the next level, he was some how able to get 6 or 8 of those things into the arena. Most people were sickened by the dead gophers, but it is the rodent team I didn't pay him much attention, I was too busy thinking of how he was able to get that many dead gophers into the game.

CART T. Katz
02-06-05, 11:27 PM
you know, i an really loathe to admit this

i miss the red wings.

barely.