PDA

View Full Version : coachella

Ankf00
02-03-05, 10:37 AM
Saturday, April 30th: Coldplay, Bauhaus, Weezer, Cocteau Twins, the Chemical Brothers, Wilco, Keane, Snow Patrol, Rilo Kiley, Cafe Tacuba, Doves, Sage Francis, Armin Van Buuren, the Raveonettes, Bloc Party, Mercury Rev, Fantomas, Hernan Cattaneo, Zap Mama, DJ Peretz, the Secret Machines, Jamie Cullum, M83, Ambulance LTD, Four Tet, MF Doom, Josh Wink, Amp Fiddler, Tiga, the Kills, Donavon Frankenreiter, Spoon, Boom Bip, Katie Melua, DJ Marky, Immortal Technique, Jean Grae, Razorlight, Swayzak, Radio 4, Buck 65, Eisley, the Sexy Magazines, k-os.

Sunday, May 1st: Nine Inch Nails, New Order, Bright Eyes, Gang of Four, Prodigy, Black Star, the Faint, Roni Size, the Arcade Fire, Roots Manuva, DJ Krush, Thrice, Junkie XL, M.I.A., British Sea Power, the Dresden Dolls, Miss Kittin, the Fiery Furnaces, Aesop Rock, the Perceptionists, Jem, Autolux, Sixtoo, Tegan and Sara, Stereophonics, The Bravery, Matthew Dear, Diplo, Subtle, Beans, Shout Out Louds, the Futureheads, Sloan, Kasabian, the Blood Brothers, Matmos, Wolf Eyes, Gram Rabbit, Smokestacks, Zion I.

:eek: :eek:

even you fogies can enjoy some of the acts :gomer:

Warlock!
02-03-05, 10:44 AM
There must be another list then, huh?

:saywhat:

Don Quixote
02-03-05, 10:49 AM
This show will be way better than Woodstock.

anait
02-03-05, 10:50 AM
Coldplay...Nine Inch Nails...New Order

"I'm [not even] 37, I'm not old"...and still those are the only three names I recognize. :eek: :gomer: Well, and Bauhaus...but b/c I like that style of architecture...and the font.

'Lock, what's your pleasure, wanna hit a classic rock weekend together?? :D

indyfan31
02-03-05, 10:50 AM

Being a fogie must also mean a short attention span, I lost interest when I got to Cocteau Twins.

cart7
02-03-05, 11:34 AM

:rofl:

Warlock!
02-03-05, 12:13 PM
'Lock, what's your pleasure
Do ya really wanna know? :D

Musically (I reckon that's what you're talkin' about), I listen to the classics like Pantera, Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, old Metallica and Megadeth, as well as some newer stuff like Children of Bodom, Shadows Fall, Meshuggah, Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Superjoint Ritual, Dark Tranquility, and the like.

If I really wanna feel old, I'll put Zeppelin, AC/DC, the Stones, or some Who in the CD player... and sing every word.

:Fogeyrock:

Sean O'Gorman
02-03-05, 12:15 PM
Bright Eyes

http://members.cox.net/gotbuddah/crybaby.gif

anait
02-03-05, 12:35 PM
Do ya really wanna know? :D ...Musically (I reckon that's what you're talkin' about)...

:o *anait blushes to her still-brown roots...* Heheheh....yes, of course, right, that's what I meant, dang, I'm too much with the lack o' sleep these days... :rofl:

And after that alternative-drunk thread, I'm a little suspicious... :p

Sigh. I'm way more familiar with the latter four bands you listed...join me up with the OC Fogey Rock Club. We need a club T-shirt.

Ankf00
02-03-05, 12:50 PM

bright eyes isn't emo, they're indie pop/rock :rolleyes:

perhaps you should listen before you label, or read even :gomer:

and come on guys, they've got New Order up there, they're making an effort for your demographic :D

Warlock!
02-03-05, 12:57 PM
and come on guys, they've got New Order up there, they're making an effort for your demographic :D
Spicoli will be eggcited...

And anait... Crapus can get us a helluva deal on shirts...

:D

Anteater
02-03-05, 02:37 PM
OMG, Nine Inch Nails AND Prodigy--two great faves of the Anteaters! Really tempted to go to this, except that I read a review of last year's Coachella. The traffic is as bad as Infineon Raceway on NASCAR raceday, and I heard that they set up one of the stages in a gigantic tent in the ring where they normally conduct horse shows at the fairgrounds. Guess what it smells like inside the tent? :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
02-03-05, 02:50 PM
The Secret Machines?! Hmmmm....I might have to pay a visit :)

Rob
02-03-05, 03:27 PM
I've heard of about 8 or 10 of those bands, but I'm only familiar with about 3 or 4. Warlock's list is much more up my alley. Weezer's music way too sissy for my tastes. NIN and Prodigy are OK, although I have a hard time believing Trent Reznor is really pissed off when I hear all those beeps and boops in the background. Angry music requires shouting, screaming and the slamming of drums. :D

Michaelhatesfans
02-03-05, 03:33 PM
Yeah, yeah... Wait your turn. Before you know it you'll pull up to a light, look over, and see a guy in a loser minivan with a couple of kids in the back listening to some of those bands that you listed. And then, slowly, painfully, you're going to realize that it's your reflection! :laugh:
Or, as one of my old fogie bands once said,
"And then one day you'll find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run..."
:cool:

Ankf00
02-04-05, 02:39 AM
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

:gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
02-04-05, 02:57 AM
Yeah, ok. You're right...

tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick......

FCYTravis
02-04-05, 03:49 AM
Ummmm, can't say as I really care about any of those bands, and I'm 21 :laugh:

Give me some Pat Benatar, or some Styx, or some Duran Duran, or some Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman, or maybe a bit of C.W. McCall... or Kansas... Dwight Yoakam... Emmylou Harris... Journey... you get the picture.

Ankf00
02-04-05, 04:26 AM

Give me some Pat Benatar, or some Styx, or some Duran Duran, or some Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman, or maybe a bit of C.W. McCall... or Kansas... Dwight Yoakam... Emmylou Harris... Journey... you get the picture.

wtf is up with you and OGorman? :saywhat: your parents feed you geritol for breakfast growing up? :gomer:

[country smack] emmylou was good, waylon was better :p [/country smack]

cart7
02-04-05, 06:23 AM
Yeah, yeah... Wait your turn. Before you know it you'll pull up to a light, look over, and see a guy in a loser minivan with a couple of kids in the back listening to some of those bands that you listed. And then, slowly, painfully, you're going to realize that it's your reflection! :laugh:

.. he missed the starting gun.

:p

JohnHKart
02-04-05, 07:41 AM
No Glenn Hughes, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Morse, Yngwie, Cornerstone, Ring of Fire, John Fogerty, Kansas, Boston, Whitesnake or Deep Purple...so I guess I'll be gigging and drinking coffee, working out and watching racing that weekend.

John

RTKar
02-04-05, 07:49 AM
..............Wilco...............that's all

chop456
02-04-05, 08:31 AM
Oh man. :laugh: (Not you, RTkar).

:bitestongue:

I like many of the groups on there, and probably 60% I've never heard of. I had no idea Sloan was still together. "Losing California". Good song.

Plenty of good new music, you just need to look for it. I learned my lesson.

RTKar
02-04-05, 09:16 AM
Oh man. :laugh: (Not you, RTkar).

:bitestongue:

I like many of the groups on there, and probably 60% I've never heard of. I had no idea Sloan was still together. "Losing California". Good song.

Plenty of good new music, you just need to look for it. I learned my lesson.

I've heard of many of them, just not that into them all....after all I am past the big 4 Oh :p....lately been on an Alt Country kick, thanks to XM ;) ...Fogie music....(XMSR is a good investment opp too :thumbup: )

Al Czervik
02-04-05, 09:42 AM

"It doesn't have to be good to be a classic!"

Ankf00
02-04-05, 10:11 AM
I think mappy should come with, too...

I bet there'll be heaps of people with no trousers on! :D

KaBoom21
02-04-05, 11:26 AM
Wow - that first day looks simply awesome and there are a few on the second day that I would love to see. Downside is the 20 minute sets, schedule conflicts and ridiculous crowd scene. I'm not paying $5 for 12 oz. of bottled water.

Ankf00
02-04-05, 11:44 AM
I actually heard from a few people who went last year that the crowd was a pretty good group b/c it was far enough away from LA to keep most wankers at home...

and there's supposedly an In n Out along the way too :D

Spicoli
02-04-05, 12:05 PM
Spicoli will be eggcited...

And anait... Crapus can get us a helluva deal on shirts...

:D

Yep.
But Fugg it, not travelling to Cally for it.

New Order has a new album out in April, so i am assuming they will be on tour thi spring/summer anyway.

Bauhaus, as well as a bunch of the other bands rule. prodigy, Gang of Four, Cocteau Tqwins. Sheet, I even like some Stereophonics stuff.

Have fun, i will se what i can find out on pollstar.com

[edit]

from worldinmotion.net :

New Order will tour in the months ahead in support of the new album and is one of the top acts rumored for the sixth Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, to be held April 30-May 1 in Indio, Calif.

:rockon:

G.
02-04-05, 12:54 PM
:cool:Who did that most excellent post (here or 7G) about the old geezer in the minivan oogling the hotties? Then he sees it's his reflection. I think of that all the time when I crank up the Kid Rock CD in the van. :laugh: It's for the ladies, you know...

There have been very few good albums put out since G-n-R Use your Illusion 1&2. Some Tool, a few others. Guitar-based Rock and Roll is dead (there was a story somewhere this week about this topic).

OK, you young ankle-biters, what do you recommend for a geezer that likes screaming guitars, vocals sung with passion (not this emo crap passion, I mean belt-the-sucker-out), etc. You say it's out there, where?

Who's got the scoop on And They Will Known Us By The Trail Of Dead (?). Any samples online?

Ankf00
02-04-05, 01:17 PM
Who's got the scoop on And They Will Known Us By The Trail Of Dead (?). Any samples online?

...Trail of Dead is good stuff, they've been around Austin for years and years now, I think their new record comes out soon. There's other good stuff, but gotta know where to look. If you want samples try out allmusic and amazon, they usually have them...

G.
02-04-05, 01:48 PM
Worlds Apart In Stores Now!
The new album Worlds Apart is in stores now! The single (7-inch or CD) is also in stores now. Go buy them both!

[posted 1/10/2005 U.S.A.]

http://www.trailofdead.com/news/

They seem a bit wimpy for my tastes, sorta emo type (ok. I have no clue what emo music really is, but I can see kids with reverse mullets listening in), but the review in Playboy came just short of saying, "stop looking at neckid boobies and go buy this damn thing!". I expect a bit more of an "edge" from a name like ATWKUBTTOD.

Ankf00
02-04-05, 02:15 PM
that's what you get for judging a book by its cover :gomer: well that and getting music reviews from playboy too... :D

if you want to hear the true suck that is emo: Taking Back Sunday (their first album's actually tolerable, amazingly enough), My Chemical Romance, Yellowcard, The Used has a good amount of emo flair to them, a bit harder than most other acts, A New Found Glory

the aforementioned are certifiably http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gifworthy

Michaelhatesfans
02-04-05, 02:24 PM
Who did that most excellent post (here or 7G) about the old geezer in the minivan oogling the hotties?
I don't remember the thread, but the story sounds painfully familiar! :laugh:

Spicoli
02-04-05, 03:29 PM
that's what you get for judging a book by its cover :gomer: well that and getting music reviews from playboy too... :D

if you want to hear the true suck that is emo: Taking Back Sunday (their first album's actually tolerable, amazingly enough), My Chemical Romance, Yellowcard, The Used has a good amount of emo flair to them, a bit harder than most other acts, A New Found Glory

the aforementioned are certifiably http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gifworthy

download **** for free at limewire.com

anything.

glad you are an authority on music. what are you - 16?

:wave:

:winkysmiley:

Easy
02-04-05, 04:01 PM
Anyone heard that new Meatloaf, Cocker and Daltrey album? Sorta like ELP but you know, with Meatloaf, Cocker and Daltrey. Supposed to be mindblowing. :gomer:

nrc
02-04-05, 07:47 PM
Who did that most excellent post (here or 7G) about the old geezer in the minivan oogling the hotties? Then he sees it's his reflection. I think of that all the time when I crank up the Kid Rock CD in the van. :laugh: It's for the ladies, you know...

Sounds like you're talking about Warlock!'s post here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=54125&highlight=hotties#post54125).

Definiately a classic! :laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
02-04-05, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you're talking about Warlock!'s post here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=54125&highlight=hotties#post54125).

Definiately a classic! :laugh:
Wow - how did I miss that one?! :laugh:

Spicoli
02-04-05, 11:31 PM
Anyone heard that new Meatloaf, Cocker and Daltrey album? Sorta like ELP but you know, with Meatloaf, Cocker and Daltrey. Supposed to be mindblowing. :gomer:

:rofl:

: dorks:

racer2c
02-05-05, 12:31 AM
Oh god, music critics from the mid-west. That's like culinary advice from my aunt in Kansas. She makes macaroni and cheese and jello with strange marshmello things in it.

If you are under 30 and hip hop isn't the only music you listen to, you are a geek. Sad but true. If you are over 30 and still listen to Mettalica...wake up.

(this message brought to you by my 21 year old co worker. Direct qoute. Except the part about food) :)

Spicoli
02-05-05, 12:45 AM
Oh god, music critics from the mid-west. That's like culinary advice from my aunt in Kansas. She makes macaroni and cheese and jello with strange marshmello things in it.

If you are under 30 and hip hop isn't the only music you listen to, you are a geek. Sad but true. If you are over 30 and still listen to Mettalica...wake up.

(this message brought to you by my 21 year old co worker. Direct qoute. Except the part about food) :)

Keepin it real! ;)

nrc
02-05-05, 01:35 AM
Oh god, music critics from the mid-west. That's like culinary advice from my aunt in Kansas.

I got news for your friend. Find a map, and draw a big fat line from New Orleans to Chicago. That's where all the best American music ultimately came from. His aunt could probably sit on the porch and pluck a better song with broomhandle and a piece of wire than the crap he's downloaded to his iPod [tm].

racer2c
02-05-05, 12:31 PM
I got news for your friend. Find a map, and draw a big fat line from New Orleans to Chicago. That's where all the best American music ultimately came from. His aunt could probably sit on the porch and pluck a better song with broomhandle and a piece of wire than the crap he's downloaded to his iPod [tm].

AMEN~! I lived in Nawlins' for three years (90 to 93) one mile outside the quarter off the bayou St. John. I worked at the legendary Sanger Theater as a stage hand and learned what real food and music was at the fabulous restaurants (that turn into blues/zydeco clubs at night) around town and from my 'blue blood' (generations of Metairie 'folk', usually held jobs at the refineries) room mate. I worked three New Orleans Jazz festivals as a stage hand and witnessed some of the best within feet of them. Quite a time in my life and I miss New Orleans everyday.

One thing about today’s twenty something’s today, is that they are extremely opinionated. I know when I was 22 I was invincible and self centered, but I was open minded about music and so were my friends.

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 01:08 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Damn kids don't know their roots these days...

oddlycalm
02-05-05, 04:16 PM
I've taken the liberty of ordering while you all were discussing. We have a nice selection of vintage Geritol with high fiber snacks and prunce juice, some barely cooked red meat cool at the center with tequila habenaro sauce, the best burgers you've ever eaten, some brats steamed in Old Style, and for some a nice shiny object with a side of crayons... ;)

oc

anait
02-05-05, 06:03 PM
I'll take a perfectly ripe avocado, please, sprinkled with coarse salt...and a really, really, really good, cold beer. Thanks. :thumbup:

skaven
02-06-05, 12:56 PM
..............Wilco...............that's all

Wilco was supposed to be there last year, but cancelled due to a lame and stupid prescription drug addiction. At least get addicted to something good will you Jeff Tweedy?

As such, I had tickets and went anyway last year. Wilco owes me show. Last year had the Pixies, Trail of Dead, (International) Noise Conspiracy, Desert Sessions (Joshua Homme from Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age), Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead, Broken Social Scene, Belle & Sebastian, Mogwai, Flaming Lips, Air and others. Bright Eyes was there last year too making all the 13 year old girls swoon.

Anyway, the only band that interests me with this years line up is Arcade Fire - everyone (sans Warlock) should check out their album Funeral. Here is a review from PitchforkMedia which is the best site I know for new music reviews. Brilliant as they say.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/arcade-fire/funeral.shtml

Regarding ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, I'm a little dissappointed in the latest. I miss Neal (the bass player) who quit/ left/ whatever. About 5 years ago they crashed back at our pad in the midwest (on the Madonna tour) after a show. Great guys all.

However, I would recommend the Coachella experience to anyone who likes music, art and people watching in a beautiful environment. Waking up in your tent surrounded by mountains, palm trees and cute little grommet girls, a cooler full of gin-n-tonics in water bottles and knowing that you are going to be treated to some great bands and see plenty of new bands. They could be a little less stingy with the water, but we are living in a capitalist society, c'est la vie as they say in Edmonton ! ! ! !

Classic Apex
02-06-05, 01:23 PM

Indeed.

The "American Pie" genre, as I call it.

Ankf00
02-06-05, 10:36 PM

your coworker pwnz. :D

wish I'd gotten to see Belle & Sebastian over there last year...

RTKar
02-06-05, 11:43 PM
Wilco was supposed to be there last year, but cancelled due to a lame and stupid prescription drug addiction. At least get addicted to something good will you Jeff Tweedy?

As such, I had tickets and went anyway last year. Wilco owes me show. Last year had the Pixies, Trail of Dead, (International) Noise Conspiracy, Desert Sessions (Joshua Homme from Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age), Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead, Broken Social Scene, Belle & Sebastian, Mogwai, Flaming Lips, Air and others. Bright Eyes was there last year too making all the 13 year old girls swoon.

However, I would recommend the Coachella experience to anyone who likes music, art and people watching in a beautiful environment. Waking up in your tent surrounded by mountains, palm trees and cute little grommet girls, a cooler full of gin-n-tonics in water bottles and knowing that you are going to be treated to some great bands and see plenty of new bands. They could be a little less stingy with the water, but we are living in a capitalist society, c'est la vie as they say in Edmonton ! ! ! !

Sounds interesting...I kinda like the multi band experience, never knowing what you may run into and like. BTW...Saw the Pixies open for U2 and Wilco (w/ Billy Bragg) during the Mermaid Avenue tour....good stuff

Ankf00
02-07-05, 12:59 PM
ok, screw Coachella, SxSW is going to rock this year, and be much easier on my wallet :)

http://www.donewaiting.com/sxsw/archives/2005/02/gigantic_sxsw_b_1.php#more

Plastilina Mosh, Doves, Futureheads, The Go! Team, hot hot heat, redwalls, yay me. :)

skaven
02-07-05, 10:53 PM
^^^^^

That's quite a big lineup - Mono and These Arms Are Snakes. :thumbup:

What's Robert Plant doing there??? :confused:

Ankf00
02-07-05, 11:13 PM
no clue, but billy idol and elvis costello were invited too... very weird.