PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe's back at Portland

nrc
02-01-05, 11:29 PM
GI Joe's will be back as a Portland sponsor.

Norm Daniels, G.I. Joe’s president, writes to say he hears nothing about a movement to bring NASCAR to Oregon, but that “G.I. Joe’s is involved in the Champ Car event this year; we have committed to (promoter) Global Events that we are back and they are lining up additional sponsors, so we don’t know our position, yet.” The company refused to open its wallet last year, and Daniels went on vacation during the race.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=28128

We're seeing a steady stream of good news for Champ car. Even if some of it is small (Safety Kleen etc) but the series is gaining momentum.

racer2c
02-01-05, 11:34 PM
No doubt about it nrc. AGR can hire as many ex CCWS personnel as they want, our ship is straight and true.

Jag_Warrior
02-02-05, 01:03 AM
Very good news. Hope you don't mind if I spread that link around. That sort of thing seems to anger trolls as much as it brightens the day for CCWS fans. And really, either/or... what's the diff? :laugh:

nrc
02-02-05, 01:10 AM
Very good news. Hope you don't mind if I spread that link around. That sort of thing seems to anger trolls as much as it brightens the day for CCWS fans. And really, either/or... what's the diff? :laugh:

No problem, Google News is your friend. :cool:

cart7
02-02-05, 08:31 AM
GI Joes brings continuity to the series by maintaining their sponsorship at Portland. Great news. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
02-04-05, 12:44 PM
Having GI Joes return is a welcome development. I know that those involved are working hard to secure a co-sponsor, or a group of sponsors that could carry the balance. The goal is to develop a long term co-sponsor.

My hope is that they are able to convince a beer company or some other 'consumer staples' sector company. Manufacturers like Freightliner are subject to drastic market swings in the business spending cycle and it's inevitable that they will leave when business takes a dive.

oc

RichK
02-04-05, 01:29 PM
GI Joes rocks. Anyone going to Portland should stop by and shop there; there is one right by the track. No sales tax in Oregon!