PDA

View Full Version : The thread you've all been waiting for!!!

Racing Truth
02-01-05, 08:22 PM
The Unofficial, Official Rolex 24 week thread at OffCamber!

Carry on. ;)

Jag_Warrior
02-01-05, 09:58 PM
:laugh:

Many of the racers and people that I've come to like over the years will be participating.

Plus, I ain't gotta buyin' a DP... so I'm anxiously awaiting the start. :thumbup:

Railbird
02-01-05, 10:17 PM
I'm pumped.

Haven't watched a live race for a couple months and I've got the weekend off. The weather here in Indy will be high 40's so we'll be warming up the garage (two TVs) and firing up the grill I bought us for xmas.

Beer me

Opposite Lock
02-01-05, 10:57 PM
54 DP Kodak - Bell Motorsports - Terry Borcheller, Gainesville, GA; Paul Tracy, Canada; Christian Fittipaldi, Brazil; Forest Barber, Fort Worth, TX; Ralf Kelleners, Germany - Pontiac Doran Kodak/ Feeds The Need/ PPG

should be good. :)

racer2c
02-01-05, 11:16 PM
I must admit, I am jone'sing (sp) for an auto race. I'll give it a glance, if only to see if the DP's are as ugly in motion as they are in still photos. I will be rooting for my Champ Car boys. :thumbup:

Winston Wolfe
02-01-05, 11:49 PM
I'm pumped.

Haven't watched a live race for a couple months and I've got the weekend off. The weather here in Indy will be high 40's so we'll be warming up the garage (two TVs) and firing up the grill I bought us for xmas.

Beer me

yo, "Bird.... throw some shrimp and a tenderloin on the barbie for me, will ya mate ?

oh yeah, and dont forget to keep the garage door open when you fire up that grill... or decide to use it as a space heater when it gets warm. We dont want to read about you as one of them there "Darwin Award" nominees.

We'll miss ya too much around here ! :thumbup:

Opposite Lock
02-01-05, 11:55 PM
67 DP Krohn Racing/ TRG - Tracy Krohn, Metarie, LA; Nic Jonsson, Buford, GA; Buddy Rice, Phoenix, AZ; Boris Said, Carlsbad, CA - Pontiac Riley - The Racers Group

Buddy and Boris! :gomer:

more proof that Boris just wants to drive anything :)

Opposite Lock
02-01-05, 11:57 PM
79 DP Newman Racing/ Silverstone Racing - Paul Newman, Westport, CT; Michael Brockman, Milford, CT; Sebastien Bourdais, France; Cristiano da Matta, Brazil - Ford Crawford Newman Racing

oh Yeah! :thumbup:

theunions
02-02-05, 12:29 AM
Am I the only one here actually going?

Railbird
02-02-05, 06:32 AM
judging from the stands you may be the only one going from anywhere ;)

I'd like to go someday but it would have to include a motorhome populated with the right people parked along the trackside fence. 24 hours is a long time.

cart7
02-02-05, 08:37 AM
Am I the only one here actually going?

yep

Say hi to doc austin for us.

You won't be able to miss him since it'll be you, doc and paper. He'll be the one carrying a sidearm with the T-shirt that says "GrandAm, even better than sex." ;)

Andrew Longman
02-02-05, 10:54 AM
It ain't what it was. Cars are more reliable and less exotic, but I love the early morning as the sun comes up and you get to see the carnage of the overnight. Cars covered with rubber and oil, body panels flapping, window burst. That's when you appreciate how long 24 hours really is. :D

pchall
02-02-05, 10:59 AM
PA announce: Will the drivers of the last DP running please come to the podium?

:p

DaveL
02-02-05, 11:06 AM
I'm geeked about it! I'll be up eary Sunday morning dragging my pillow and blanket into the living room to watch the coverage. It's become an annual ritual for me. I look forward to a great race and hopeully Fatassi's cars will drop out in the first hour :)

NismoZ
02-02-05, 11:13 AM
14 hours of TV coverage!?...like I said, I won't attempt that without at least 3 co-watchers!

Fio1
02-02-05, 11:43 AM
I'm flying out Thursday, keep an eye on the #04 Sigalsport Porsche (formerly known as grease monkey racing). We won Cali-speedway last year, and we should be a contender. The main guys in the GT class will be the bmw's, tpc porsche, racers group #65, flying lizzard, the red bull porsche & farnbacher. I think Wolf Henzler will grab the pole. We did some work during the off season, and we should surprise a few people during the weekend. ;)

For overall honors, I think the Brumos #58 with Lucas Luhr & Sacha Maasen leading the team will win it. They weren't fast in the open test, but they have a new motor from Germany that will kick butt! The #10 Suntrust team has the best driver line up, and should be a contender as well, I think Collard will put it on pole. The drak horse for top honors would be the #5 Dyson entry with Harrison Brix & James Weaver leading the charge. :thumbup:

BobN
02-02-05, 11:59 AM
The drak horse for top honors would be the #5 Dyson entry with Harrison Brix & James Weaver leading the charge. :thumbup:

Weaver? Don't think so. Dyson (father & son) and James Gue are Brix running mates. Weaver is the only Dyson driver NOT in a DP.

BobN
02-02-05, 12:02 PM
yep

Say hi to doc austin for us.

You won't be able to miss him since it'll be you, doc and paper. He'll be the one carrying a sidearm with the T-shirt that says "GrandAm, even better than sex." ;)

Milka Duno should seriously think about getting a restraining order against him. He seems a "tad" obsessive about her. :laugh:

Steve99
02-02-05, 12:10 PM
For overall honors, I think the Brumos #58 with Lucas Luhr & Sacha Maasen leading the team will win it. They weren't fast in the open test, but they have a new motor from Germany that will kick butt!

I thought GrandAm rules controlled how much power the engines could give?

extramundane
02-02-05, 01:32 PM
54 DP Kodak - Bell Motorsports - Terry Borcheller, Gainesville, GA; Paul Tracy, Canada; Christian Fittipaldi, Brazil; Forest Barber, Fort Worth, TX; Ralf Kelleners, Germany - Pontiac Doran Kodak/ Feeds The Need/ PPG

should be good. :)

Why do they need 5 drivers (Well, 4 drivers and Forrest Barber)? It always amuses me when teams load up like that. They shouldn't need more than 3.

extramundane
02-02-05, 01:34 PM
Weaver? Don't think so. Dyson (father & son) and James Gue are Brix running mates. Weaver is the only Dyson driver NOT in a DP.

And it's not a "Dyson Entry". Rob & Chris just happen to be driving.

I don't think you'll see James Weaver in a DP for quite a while...

theunions
02-02-05, 01:53 PM
Why do they need 5 drivers (Well, 4 drivers and Forrest Barber)?

I'd still like to know if/how Christian returning to Brazil to race stock cars impacts his post-Rolex status with this team.

Sean O'Gorman
02-02-05, 02:17 PM
I don't think you'll see James Weaver in a DP for quite a while...

What's he afraid of?

BobN
02-02-05, 02:57 PM
What's he afraid of?

You've got to be kidding. One doesn't have to be afraid of something to not find it worthwhile. I think Weaver simply wants to drive uber fast cars. I get the impression he is not a fan of the DP concept.

Racing Truth
02-02-05, 04:07 PM
You've got to be kidding. One doesn't have to be afraid of something to not find it worthwhile. I think Weaver simply wants to drive uber fast cars. I get the impression he is not a fan of the DP concept.

I think that's true, but I think Sean was just having some fun with that.

pchall: Your remark would have been spot on 2 yrs. ago. But unless 28 DP's all drop out, it is far from the truth this years.

As for me, I'd love to see Kurt Busch, PT, and Tony Stewart on the track together at the same time. You'd see either uber-greatness or uber-stupidity.

RacinM3
02-02-05, 04:13 PM
Beer me

NismoZ
02-02-05, 06:54 PM
Speed has run a commercial for the Rolex with 7-8 very quick snippets of drivers. Can you name them? Notice anything?

Methanolandbrats
02-02-05, 08:34 PM
Speed has run a commercial for the Rolex with 7-8 very quick snippets of drivers. Can you name them? Notice anything?
White guys who can't talk English too good? Just guessing.

Railbird
02-02-05, 09:06 PM
oh yeah, and dont forget to keep the garage door open when you fire up that grill...

Not to worry WW, us frozen tundra types are up to date on all the asphyxiation hazards of warming up for a good outdoor drunk.

Beer Me

extramundane
02-03-05, 05:31 PM
What's he afraid of?

Falling asleep? Wasting his time? Getting punted by one of Kevin Buckler's rent-a-rides?

extramundane
02-03-05, 05:42 PM
pchall: Your remark would have been spot on 2 yrs. ago. But unless 28 DP's all drop out, it is far from the truth this years.

There were far more DPs last year than 2 years ago, yet GT-class cars occupied 2 of the 3 podium spots (and only the lengthy cautions for rain kept a GT from winning overall again). Had NASCARRA not neutered the class for '05, the GTs would again take the fight to the DPs. :shakehead

NismoZ
02-03-05, 06:07 PM
EXACTLY...so should that send a message to ALMS? GT1 should be the headliners! GT1,2 & 3, thats IT. And the damn thing SHOULD be called TRANS AM. I know it isn't 1968, 9 or 70, but I still think they were 3 of the greatest racing years, EVER! Stock cars on road courses. OUR kind of "stock" cars. I've been crying for years about ChampCar's move away from the natural road courses to the streets and the answer was always right there in front of me. Give the fan the right kind of road course racers and they will come! I mean, I almost feel sorry for some of you who never saw Dan Gurney, Mark Donohue, Parnelli Jones or Swede Savage touch bumpers (not NASCAB style!) as they swept through the Carousel at RA. Sure mfg. money started it and the mfgs. ended it...but they've been with NASCAR for a long while, haven't they? What is needed is a NASCAB equivalent of a road racing circus. Talk about a "split"...maybe ALMS and Trans Am ought to combine forces and create the best "stock" car racing series in the world! I'd be there!

FCYTravis
02-03-05, 06:17 PM
GT1s are ten times more expensive than a Trans-Am car could ever hope to be.

You'd have to seriously tone down the costs to bring it in line with what makes financial sense. There *still* aren't any privateers in the GT1 category, except ACEMCO's Saleen, which I expect will be sucking Aston and Maserati wind this year along with the Corvette wind it sucked last year.

All the sports car privateers are in Grand-Am, GA Cup or World Challenge right now. Why? Because those are the series where the privateers can have a shot at winning and not go broke doing it.

Methanolandbrats
02-03-05, 06:23 PM
Not to worry WW, us frozen tundra types are up to date on all the asphyxiation hazards of warming up for a good outdoor drunk.

Beer Me Indy is not the frozen tundra. More like cold mud. Enjoy your party.

NismoZ
02-04-05, 11:12 AM
FCY...of course. You correctly describe the way things ARE, I was merely trying to envision what I'd like to see, a blend perhaps, an elevated profile, a higher credibility, a more popular road racing series for GT type cars. I'm not stuck in the past, but I do remember the heady days of Trans Am with fondness, and (the battle between the factories and privateers aside) would like to see a road racing series that can challenge NASCAB for advertiser $$$ as well as popularity. We USED to have one!

Sean O'Gorman
02-04-05, 12:34 PM
The only reason that road racing isn't near the popularity of NASCAR is because the powers that run the series' apparently don't want them to.

RichK
02-04-05, 01:19 PM
NASCARRA

:laugh: :laugh:

Railbird
02-05-05, 01:45 PM
The sun is shining and the flag has dropped. Like em or not at least it's finally a live race.

SeaBass brings out the first FCY

redmist
02-05-05, 02:07 PM
The sun is shining and the flag has dropped. Like em or not at least it's finally a live race.

SeaBass brings out the first FCY

lucky he got away with that,i thought he was gonna stuff it.
i see borkowski is in mid season form.

Chief
02-05-05, 02:30 PM
I believe the IROC has been replaced....and this feels so much like what I felt pre-1996 too. Damn shame it takes a neutral event like the DP's to show what we open wheel fans have been missing....take notice FTG.

Racewriter
02-05-05, 02:59 PM
It appears that DP's are sufficiently challenging for Bourdais and Dario Judd...

Railbird
02-05-05, 03:06 PM
The Newman/Bourdais/DaMatta deal is flaming out.

Railbird
02-05-05, 03:07 PM
Cone abuse of the first order !

Dirty Sanchez
02-05-05, 03:19 PM
The Newman/Bourdais/DaMatta deal is flaming out.Its all Gascoyne's fault :gomer:

Railbird
02-05-05, 04:03 PM
Funny, I didn't think Yarno was in Daytona.

Railbird
02-05-05, 04:05 PM
Lammers just scared Casey into the pits

Railbird
02-05-05, 04:14 PM
Cheeps beaner just wore one out

Accipiter
02-05-05, 04:41 PM
Hoosier = Boom-boom? Andy Wallace certainly has a low opinion of them.

EXACTLY...so should that send a message to ALMS? GT1 should be the headliners! GT1,2 & 3, thats IT. And the damn thing SHOULD be called TRANS AM. I know it isn't 1968, 9 or 70, but I still think they were 3 of the greatest racing years, EVER! Stock cars on road courses. OUR kind of "stock" cars.

No. Speed World Challenge should be called Trans Am. It is now what Trans Am was.

NismoZ
02-05-05, 05:13 PM
Oh, I don't know...maybe just under experience. The open wheelers are screwing up...a lot. Tires seem to be a big problem, too. Also, some of the best racing I've seen is in those Rolex Series commercials. Ahhhh...real race tracks! And Jack Baldwin in a Porsche? Just doesn't seem right somehow.

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 05:19 PM
Also, some of the best racing I've seen is in those Rolex Series commercials.

Which is exactly why I like the series. There is some good racing out there. ;)

Anyone know what happened to Gidley? Now that he is out of contention I have no one to root for. :(

extramundane
02-05-05, 05:43 PM
It appears that DP's are sufficiently challenging for Bourdais and Dario Judd...

Makes sense: the NASCAR guys are more used to driving slow cars on club racing tires...

Jag_Warrior
02-05-05, 05:45 PM
Now that he is out of contention I have no one to root for. :(

Gidley...Schmidley.

Go Milka Duno! :laugh:

If the Citgo car wins, I predict she will jump up & down many times. :)

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 05:57 PM
Makes sense: the NASCAR guys are more used to driving slow cars on club racing tires...

You are an idiot.

extramundane
02-05-05, 06:30 PM
You are an idiot.

Called an idiot by the guy who thinks he knows more about GT1 than Ron Fellows? How ever will I face the world again? :rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 06:35 PM
Called an idiot by the guy who thinks he knows more about GT1 than Ron Fellows? How ever will I face the world again? :rolleyes:

Oh, ok, I get it.

When I make a comment about a driver's perspective on a car it = bad.

When you do it, it is perfectly okay. I'm assuming you have quite the driving history to back up how "slow" the DPs are too, right?

racer2c
02-05-05, 06:37 PM
You are an idiot.
:shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 06:39 PM
Turn that frown upside down!

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 06:42 PM
Okay, I won't deny it, what Newman's team is doing right now on pit lane might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. :saywhat:

extramundane
02-05-05, 06:50 PM
Oh, ok, I get it.

When I make a comment about a driver's perspective on a car it = bad.

When you do it, it is perfectly okay. I'm assuming you have quite the driving history to back up how "slow" the DPs are too, right?

You said one thing about ACEMCO, Ron Fellows said the opposite (and other posters supplied data to support his position, as if he needed any forum support). Your response was that he was wrong, you were right. Do you have the driving history to refute Ron Fellows?

Now then, I said the DPs are slow (which is a completely different type of statement from yours). A quick look at lap times confirms this. No driving history is necessary, only the ability to read.

I'll leave the name-calling to you, thanks.

dando
02-05-05, 07:26 PM
Which is exactly why I like the series. There is some good racing out there. ;)

Anyone know what happened to Gidley? Now that he is out of contention I have no one to root for. :(
Valiante took the car behind the wall a couple of hours ago. I never heard what the issue was.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-05, 07:39 PM
They later said that the header was coming loose and started burning wires.

Steve99
02-05-05, 07:56 PM
You are an idiot.

Didn't realize personal attacks were now allowed here. This should open up loads of fun. :thumdown:

Racing Truth
02-05-05, 08:15 PM
Let's agree on a few things:

Tony Stewart is a jerk
Tony Stewart is a :gomer:
Tony Stewart is one hell of a racecar driver

That stint was just stunning. He was the fastest on the track throughout.

As for me, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Riley v. Crawford battle that we are seeing.

The Newman team needs to pack it up. That was absurd.

Methanolandbrats
02-05-05, 08:51 PM
Sorry I missed all that ****. I installed a new entry door and storm door. A big job done, time for a beer :D Have to get all the home improvement stuff done by March 6th, that's when the racing season starts :)

nrc
02-05-05, 09:09 PM
Didn't realize personal attacks were now allowed here. This should open up loads of fun. :thumdown:

They aren't.

Railbird
02-05-05, 09:19 PM
Nice night shots.

Methanolandbrats
02-05-05, 09:29 PM
Nice night shots.

Yes they are, I'm tuned in now. Here's hoping Floyd's Fellas touch on the banking.

mexican
02-05-05, 11:02 PM
Cheeps beaner just wore one out

blown hoosier to blame, too bad for Luis, happy to see Fata$$i's wallet shrink

racer2c
02-05-05, 11:08 PM
I've watched about three hours total now. Dario still bugs me. Same with Play Station Xgame boy Rice.

Positives, like 'bird said racing at night rocks, no matter what the series. The fact these guys will go through the night is very cool. I love the shots of T4 on the NASCAR banking. The closest thing we have to the old Monza track of yesteryear that I only know from pictures. The melting pot of drivers makes for good stories and interviews.

Negatives, I don't like the sound of the DP engines. Too low end for my taste. The DP's look better in motion than in still photos but only barely.

Why is Pruett not included in the 'open wheel gang'? Moreno is but Pruett isn't? Pruett is more of an open wheeler than Rice.

It's nice to watch a live race. The '05 race season is going to rock! I can feel it. :)

Railbird
02-06-05, 09:16 AM
The real race has started, the sun is up and the Lammers/Wallace/Stewart Crawford is leading.

Methanolandbrats
02-06-05, 11:00 AM
Put a Floyd on the barbi :D Must be using the IRL crew, just refueled a burning car.

Railbird
02-06-05, 11:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Did Cheep recruit the old Hemelgarn crew?

Railbird
02-06-05, 11:25 AM
The Suntrust team is in the clear with the 20 suffering gearbox woes.

Railbird
02-06-05, 01:18 PM
Congrats to the Sun Trust team.

extramundane
02-06-05, 01:38 PM
Domination by the Riley & Crawford factory teams. So much for the "anyone can win in any chassis!" notion.