PDA

View Full Version : So, What If Corona...

NismoZ
02-01-05, 06:44 PM
actually wanted to WIN in ChampCar? Would they dump Lavin? Would they sponsor Tracy? Would they sponsor Tracy AND a 2nd Forsythe driver? I'd rather THEY stick around than Rodolfo. Maybe Tracy in Busch car in Mexico City!

FCYTravis
02-01-05, 06:48 PM
Um, they don't want to actually win.

Slodolfo's mom owns half of the company.

It's easy to get and keep sponsorship with connections like that :gomer:

racer2c
02-01-05, 06:59 PM
Gotta give the kids props then. If my moms owned a beer company, my only racing would be wheel chairs around Betty Fords every other month. :saywhat:

Ankf00
02-01-05, 07:03 PM
Gotta give the kids props then. If my moms owned a beer company, my only racing would be wheel chairs around Betty Fords every other month. :saywhat:
I'd have a permanent seat at Flying Saucer :gomer:

skaven
02-01-05, 07:21 PM
I'd have a permanent seat at Flying Saucer :gomer:

Where will Cliff Clavin sit then? :laugh:

Flying Saucer is one of the few good places in Texas, the rest of the state blows.

I actually was mildly impressed last year with Rodolfo. I initially thought he was 100% wanker, but he didn't *totally* suck *always.* He seemed to run well at the ovals, which is further proof about the talent needed to run well on ovals.

Ankf00
02-01-05, 08:19 PM
Where will Cliff Clavin sit then? :laugh:

somewhere other than my seat if he knows what's good for him!

Flying Saucer is one of the few good places in Texas, the rest of the state blows.

Coming from Boulder? Our wimen bathe :gomer: :p

racer2c
02-01-05, 08:28 PM
somewhere other than my seat if he knows what's good for him!

Streams don't count. :)

Sean O'Gorman
02-01-05, 11:45 PM
I have no more slices of lime and I still have 2 more Coronas in the fridge. :(

racer2c
02-01-05, 11:49 PM
I have no more slices of lime and I still have 2 more Coronas in the fridge. :(

Been there. Sucks. :cry:

mexican
02-02-05, 12:36 AM
stupid gringos ;) every mexican worth his salt knows you never put lime in a corona.

truth be told... the corona in the states is different than the one in mexico, maybe that old rumor is true :eek:

Sean O'Gorman
02-02-05, 12:38 AM
What rumor? :eek:

mexican
02-02-05, 12:41 AM
how could I put it mildly... let's say coors & bud ain't the only fabled "piss waters"

Sean O'Gorman
02-02-05, 12:50 AM
:laugh:

I don't drink the stuff regularly, my friend left it here last weekend and of course I'm not going to let it go to waste. :D

mexican
02-02-05, 01:05 AM
from what I hear, the rumor was started sometime after corona surpassed heineken as #1 selling imported beer in the US

but yes, it actually does taste different than the stuff sold in mexico

G.
02-02-05, 11:49 AM
which is better? Mexican or American version?

(personally, any beer that needs a lime to be tolerable doesn't need to be in my fridge, free or not. But that's JMO)

Ankf00
02-02-05, 12:18 PM
Streams don't count. :)
no? :(

mexican
02-02-05, 01:43 PM
it may be that my palate is more accustomed to it but the mexican version is tastier. the shape of the bottles differ too, the US version having a wider mouth (I guess so you can squeeze the little citrus down into it)

the lime gimmick came from the corona importers' marketing department. in hindsight, it was quite a successful idea and it's accredited for helping it reach #1 status.

the downside is I tend to forget that little detail and everytime I order a corona at a bar or restaurant here in the states (not very often) it comes with that nasty addition :gomer:

the only mexican beer that is originally served with lime & salt is tecate. due to the fact that it was only available in a can and it's taste (or lack thereof) made budweiser look like guinness in comparison

you would pull the tab off (remember those?) and liberally squeeze the lime juice on the top and then salt it. every sip came condimented after that. if it ran out you would repeat the procedure

and this, ladies and gentlemen, was your daily instalment of cerveza 101, brought to you by your amigo mexican :D

oh... & BTW... go Rodolfo!!! :p

JoeBob
02-02-05, 02:15 PM
Corona was a major associate sponsor on the Herdez cars before they became the primary sponsor for Lavin.

Ed_Severson
02-02-05, 03:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, how popular is Sol in Mexico? I had one (several?) of them at the Herdez hospitality tent in Vegas, but I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere in Indianapolis.

mexican
02-02-05, 04:20 PM
very popular, lots of advertising and promotions everywhere, and IMO the last 2-3 years, sol has been turning out a better product than corona

and... it also comes in the popular "cahuama" presentation (mexican equivalent to a US "40") :D

the famous baseball field stadium section at the Hermanos Rodriguez track is the "Forum Sol"

Dr. Corkski
02-02-05, 09:00 PM
Corona wasn't a major associate sponsor, they just bought some space on the engine cover back in 2002. They did however get a *win in that farce at Surfers that year.

Now if Corona was actually concerned with winning or even competing in Champ Car, mom should have taken a birth control pill. (j/k)

IlliniRacer
02-02-05, 11:27 PM
how could I put it mildly... let's say coors & bud ain't the only fabled "piss waters"

I believe Corona is Spanish for "Old Style".

I prefer Negro Mondelo

manic mechanic
02-03-05, 02:07 AM
actually wanted to WIN in ChampCar? Would they dump Lavin?

MHO: If Forsythe had put Cork in that seat 3 races into last year, he would have had 3 podiums by Laguna Seca (right 4R?) and possibly a win before the season ended. :rofl:

manic

:p

P.S. the only reason to drink Corona is when it's free, and the only reason to use a lime is to keep the bugs out of the beer.

anait
02-03-05, 02:58 AM
P.S. the only reason to drink Corona is when it's free, and the only reason to use a lime is to keep the bugs out of the beer.

Lime keeps bugs out of beer??

...note to self...stock up on extra limes for next outdoor bbq (four months from now if we're lucky)...maybe the mosquitoes will leave our drinks alone... :saywhat: :D

skaven
02-03-05, 03:20 AM

If you don't like hairy, sweaty legs sticking up in the air, don't peek into a women's pilates course in Boulder... ok??? :gomer:

pchall
02-03-05, 04:36 PM
This thread makes me glad I drink Pacifico.

NismoZ
02-03-05, 04:45 PM
So, if I'd asked about "Pisswaters of North America" we'd be discussimg sponsorship in The ChampCar World Series!? Hey, 'bird, help me out, they're all "off topic"! :D ...PS...I still think Lavin is out with Corona but Corona is IN, at...??