PDA

View Full Version : Memo to VALVe

pfc_m_drake
01-29-05, 08:28 PM
If you're going to implement and require usage of a system such as Steam, then you better make damn sure that it's as close to 100% reliable as possible.

And after you've got it as close to 100% reliable as possible, then work on making it 10x more reliable than that. Then, and ONLY then should you implement such a system.

Half-Life 2 and/or Counter Strike Source players will understand what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the rant. That is all. Carry on.

nrc
01-29-05, 08:39 PM
The only problem I've had is that they keep breaking it with updates. But I play under Linux, so I expect a bit of hassle.

cart7
01-29-05, 08:40 PM
:confused:

pfc_m_drake
01-29-05, 08:57 PM
I hadn't had any problems either until today nrc - but they've had huge server issues it seems. Many many people reporting problems in the Steam forums.

The reason I'm so mad is because I purchased the Special Edition on DVD-ROM under the premise that you only had to connect to Steam once and could then play in 'offline' mode. Well, I can promise you that is NOT the case.

:flame: :flame:

racer2c
01-29-05, 09:49 PM
I'll save you the trouble. Gordon is an alien! :eek:

nrc
01-29-05, 10:15 PM

Oh no you didn't. :mad:

racer2c
01-29-05, 10:21 PM

No. I couldn't get Steam to work. Deep breath nrc. :)

pfc_m_drake
01-29-05, 10:32 PM
:rofl:

Ankf00
01-29-05, 10:44 PM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

how much did your heartrate increase just then?

nrc
01-29-05, 10:59 PM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

how much did your heartrate increase just then?

Don't bother me. I'm plotting my revenge. :D

racer2c
01-29-05, 11:08 PM
Don't bother me. I'm plotting my revenge. :D
:(

Brickman
01-30-05, 01:31 AM
Too funny.

halflife2 was great fun. Not as difficult as I expected on the standard level or the hardest level. Great visuals, then again happines is a SyncMaster 213T. I really wish they would show Freeman in the third person just once, but not much to complian about. Most difficult? Mid way through Ravenholm. The names in the credits surprised me. Robert Guillaume and Robert Culp.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

oddlycalm
01-30-05, 04:41 PM
If you're going to implement and require usage of a system such as Steam, then you better make damn sure that it's as close to 100% reliable as possible. There's the understatement of the year. If this was any other market I say something like "Well, we all know what happens to companies that disrespect their customers by frustrating them and wasting their time." However, one has only to look at Microsoft to conclude that those normal rules don't apply in the software market... ;)

Fill in the blank, but remember, this is a family forum: Steam ____________________

oc

racer2c
02-01-05, 01:13 PM
Saw this linked from one of the game sites I visit.

My opinion on Steam. It simply sucks. (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1777/)

Michaelhatesfans
02-01-05, 01:21 PM
Hmm... I thought Gidley was going to a new team called VALVe. :gomer:

Steve99
02-01-05, 03:38 PM
I hate STEAM. Why does it always have to load when I boot my system? Did Valve ever consider I might do something with my computer other than play their stupid games? :mad:

nrc
02-01-05, 04:45 PM
I hate STEAM. Why does it always have to load when I boot my system? Did Valve ever consider I might do something with my computer other than play their stupid games? :mad:

I'm pretty sure there's an option available in the setup for it not to load at startup.

RacinM3
02-01-05, 07:44 PM
Anybody knows if you're going to play with steam your valve had better be reliable or you're going to get burned. :gomer:

pfc_m_drake
02-01-05, 10:06 PM
Assuming you're running Windows 98/2000/XP:

Start, Run, type 'msconfig' without the quotes into the dialogue box, and click 'ok'. A window called 'System Configuration Utility' will then spawn itself.

In that window, click on the tab that says 'Startup'. Scroll down through the list of programs until you find one called 'Steam' (again, without the quotes).

UNcheck the box next to Steam, click 'Apply' and then 'Ok'. Then the next time you reboot Steam will not startup automatically.

nrc
02-01-05, 10:29 PM
Or, just start steam, select "Settings", select the "Interface" tab and the uncheck the "Run Steam when Windows starts" option.

pfc_m_drake
02-01-05, 11:01 PM
Yes, and your way is much easier...but I'm very angry with Steam and the whole concept at the moment. Msconfig gives you absolute power without actually having to start the Steam client...which can be very satisfying for those of us with a poor attitude at the moment.

But yeah - Steve: You should probably use nrc's method, because it's a bit less dangerous.

nrc
02-13-05, 06:45 PM
SPOILER?

I finally got around to playing the last 20 minutes or so of Half Life 2 last night. Valve makes great games with terrible endings. :shakehead

pfc_m_drake
02-13-05, 09:21 PM
I'm still working on it, so don't give it away. I'm probably about 2/3 of the way through. I've been really happy so far...much better than Doom3.

Brickman
02-14-05, 10:53 PM
SPOILER?

I finally got around to playing the last 20 minutes or so of Half Life 2 last night. Valve makes great games with terrible endings. :shakehead

I agree, they could have done much better.

racer2c
02-14-05, 11:18 PM
Along those lines though, I can't remember the last game I played that I was impressed with the ending. They all kinda fall flat IMO.

Splinter Cell: Pandora's Box was a captivating, great game to the end, until the end just ended.

Psi-Ops was a phenomenal game. Simply phenomenal. The ending, eh.

Halo 2 will go down in history as being the game with no ending.

Riddick: great game but to much of the same.

MechAssault 2 - yawn. Big dissapiontment. Love the first one.

Two of my buds at work have been hyping the new Resident Evil 4 for the GameCube of all things. I watched an extended trailer from GameSpot and oh my god does this game look incredible. My freinds were saying it's worth buying a game cube for. You think Doom 3 was scary, they say you can't play this game alone.