PDA

View Full Version : GEEEBUS!! Did you see that?

cart7
01-29-05, 08:18 PM
New record at Barrett-Jackson. $3 million for a '54 Oldsmobile concept car! :eek:

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 08:31 PM
New record at Barrett-Jackson. $3 million for a '54 Oldsmobile concept car! :eek:

I wonder what the price of a ticket to get into this guys car museum will go up to now! :laugh:

cart7
01-29-05, 08:39 PM
There'll be that car and a couple others.

Sorry folks, went to B-J, lost my mind and ran out of money. :laugh:

Railbird
01-30-05, 09:17 AM
http://www.carroantigo.com/imagens/carros%20conceito/prototipo%20olds-f88-1954.JPG

One of one

Pure fifties era Harley Earl art deco with a 250hp ohv V8.

chop456
01-30-05, 09:53 AM
Looks like a '57 Chevy ate a Corvette.

pchall
01-30-05, 11:08 AM
Looks like a '57 Chevy ate a Corvette.

If memory serves, Olds based that car on a 'vette. And I think Pontiac had a Corvette derived car on the show circuit as well as Buick with a Wildcat.

Buick Wildcat

http://www.futurliner.com/images/concep7.jpg

Pontiac Bonneville Special

http://www.futurliner.com/images/concep5.jpg

Man, you can find almost anything on the internet these days.

Railbird
01-30-05, 11:21 AM
Harley Earl had some balls.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i19/1970_2mg.jpg

Ankf00
01-30-05, 11:41 AM
so these are the cars you bluehairs had in high school huh? :D

fourrunner
01-30-05, 11:57 AM
Ank

I'm going to steal that idea and start a thread ! :)

Ankf00
01-30-05, 11:58 AM
Ank

I'm going to steal that idea and start a thread ! :)
Ideathief. :mad:

fourrunner
01-30-05, 12:15 PM
New thread in "Community" :)

Ank did you get my PM yesterday ?

from "the ideathief"

Ankf00
01-30-05, 01:17 PM
I did, didn't you get my reply? :confused:

gjc2
01-30-05, 08:37 PM
Harley Earl is held in such high regard by most, but I think he had to much influence at GM. It seems he was all about form, not at all about function. The original Corvette was pretty to look at but that's about it. It didn't perform and wasn't comfortable. There is an old film of a "Y Job" rounding a corner where it looks like the front bumper is about the drag on the pavement.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

George

ps: the TV coverage was awesome, I loved it.

Railbird
01-30-05, 08:46 PM
Good points George, like I said earlier it was all about the outrages chrome art deco look. It would be cool to cruise one of those floats as long as you had something else to actually drive.

a little googling turned up this beauty:

http://www.desoto58.com/dreamcar/chevrolet/corvair54.jpg

Listed as a 54 Chevrolet Corvair

cart7
01-30-05, 10:23 PM
I lost interest in vette's after about '68. Even though, at the time, they were built right here on Union blvd. in N. Saint loo.

racer2c
01-30-05, 10:51 PM
I have just two 'vette experiences (never was a big fan).

My best friend in high school, dad had a split window ('63) fuelie. Bright red with CenterLine rims. He bought it off a guy who had been bracket drag racing with it. The guy had thrown the fuel injection in the garbage (!) and built out the 327 fairly strong but still streetable. His dad would switch cars every other week with him, not to the pleasure of my friend because the 'vette was pretty high maintenance. In the summer it left us sitting for an hour at a time because the starter would over heat because of the close proximity of the headers. One weekend my friend came down with the flu and asked if I could run into town to get some medicine. I had let my girlfriend take my car so the only car available was the '63. Off I go by myself grinning ear to ear, amazed at the solid feel of the M22 rockcrusher.
My big block Charger was faster, but didn't feel as tight. The most amazing thing is that wherever I stopped, the car drew a crowd. At the 7/11, at the gas station, anywhere and always. Every single place you stopped you had to be ready to talk about the car. The '63 split window is my favorite 'vette.

The other 'vette I knew was a '77 350 Sting-ray. My girlfriend just had to have a 'vette and found a '77 for the affordable price of $6500. It was orange and rather anemic and down right spooky on the curves. It never drew a crowd, not once. She traded it in a 4-Runner after a year.

SteveH
01-31-05, 01:40 AM
And speaking of Vette's I drove by the assembly plant in Bowling Green today. Was surprised at the size of the operation. Had I had more time I would have loved to stopped in at the National Corvette Museum. I'd love to have a Vette, old or new makes no difference. Have friend that has one of the first ones (a 55 I think) stored in a barn. Used to be his daily driver in the early 70's. Its his retirement fund.

cart7
01-31-05, 09:05 AM
Back to the '54 Olds concept, they interviewed the winner yesterday and I swear he said the mueseum the car is going in is in Gateway Colorado. Did I hear that right? I did a mapquest search and Gateway is in bum f**** western CO. on the border with Utah quite a distance from the closest interstate, I-70. I'm not sure how many folks are going to find drifting that far off the beaten track worth it for that car and about 30 others he says he has.