PDA

View Full Version : PKV Signs DaMatta for 2005 & Beyond

fourrunner
01-29-05, 01:22 PM
This is listed as FACT at AR-1

Hope this is the start of MORE Goods news about CCWS

racer2c
01-29-05, 01:26 PM
I read yesterday that it was a possibility. Rather surprising though considering his close ties to N/H.
I'm glad to see him back in Champ Car.

fourrunner
01-29-05, 01:54 PM
Could have been a discussion among the Three Amigo's, N/H, and the others about Newman Haas becoming the 800 pound Gorilla in the series ! and how that could throw the balance TOOOOO much!

Also AR 1 had some speculation awhile back about Christiano wanting 2 million from N/H and 3 million from PKV because of the competition balance !

Of course I'm more inclined to think that 3 # 1 drivers would not work on one team

Tim
01-29-05, 02:25 PM
Is it worth it for that much money? DaMatta won't help the negative perception of CCWS competition because he washed out of F1.

Chief
01-29-05, 02:35 PM
I'm more inclined to think that 3 # 1 drivers would not work on one team

Yer right, and with Blinky #3 of the #1's it'd be a whine fest...;)

Racing Truth
01-29-05, 02:49 PM
This is listed as FACT at AR-1

Which means it's, what, 50-50, that it will really happen? :gomer: ;)

Good news if true. :thumbup:

Personally, I'm glad it isn't N-H. This spreads out overall team ability a bit more.

fourrunner
01-29-05, 03:39 PM
Is it worth it for that much money? DaMatta won't help the negative perception of CCWS competition because he washed out of F1.

The people that have that negative perception of Champ Car would have it if Michael Schumacher came over to CCWS to Race ... they won't change their mind, they don't like CC and most likely spend their time posting with their fellow "Towel Snapping Butt Sniffers" over at TF ! :)

Bourdais, Junquerra, Tracy, Vasser, DaMatta, RHR, AJ Almadinger, etc. are hardly chopped liver, with 4 former & current Champions in the mix.

NismoZ
01-29-05, 04:34 PM
My guess is Haas did NOT want to run a 3-car effort and was glad to sell his '05 option on daMatta's services. I think only PKV or Forsythe would have been able to "solve" the dilemma. Hopefully PKV has. Glad he's back and hope all the damaged good/washout/reject talk ends. He does not deserve that.

Railbird
01-29-05, 04:55 PM
Glad to see him back as he is a quality driver, but he'll always be an F1 washout.

Another strong combination on the grid. :thumbup:

NismoZ
01-29-05, 05:04 PM
Perception? I hope you will agree, however, his past record and resume are a positive thing right now for ChampCar. I worry, though, that his possible $3 million price-tag may mean no third car and thus no ride for Dalziel or Wirdheim. Maybe Forsythe could pick up one of those guys, but listening to him recently leads me to believe he, like Haas, will run only 2 cars.

racer2c
01-29-05, 05:18 PM
Perception? I hope you will agree, however, his past record and resume are a positive thing right now for ChampCar. ...

Right. If you can't welcome back an ex-champion, who can you? Zanardi was an F1 washout. Hmm, I think we've been here before.

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 05:43 PM
"Towel Snapping Butt Sniffers" over at TF ! :)

Oh that is an image that is so wrong on so many levels!!! :eek: I need to get that quote out of may head now... gee thanks... :rolleyes:

redmist
01-29-05, 05:57 PM

i think that was more of an indictment of toyota inability to find their ass with both hands and a flashlight, than christiano's driving.

racer2c
01-29-05, 06:26 PM
i think that was more of an indictment of toyota inability to find their ass with both hands and a flashlight, than christiano's driving.

Don't waste your time, we've gone around in circles on the Da Matta washout matter. :rolleyes:

But if you are so inclined, I have your back. DaMatta's my boy!

fourrunner
01-29-05, 06:36 PM
Oh that is an image that is so wrong on so many levels!!! :eek: I need to get that quote out of may head now... gee thanks... :rolleyes:

I meant that in the nicest possible way!

fourrunner
01-29-05, 06:44 PM
AutoRacing 1.com has moved the report of the DaMatta signing from the Rumors section..... to the NEWS section reporting the official announcement will come next week! :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
01-29-05, 07:05 PM
I much rather see Wirdheim or Dalziel get the seat, because those guys probably won't end up at the remaining Forsythe seats unless they bring a wad of cash and no talent.

Heck Champ Car might have enough to start a F1-washout cup this year.

Sean O'Gorman
01-29-05, 07:21 PM
da Matta joining will be an asset to the series but I'd much rather see Dalziel get the seat instead. He is probably hungrier to succeed, and a more interesting personality anyway.

racer2c
01-29-05, 09:32 PM
I'd rather watch F1 washouts in Champ Cars, than Champ Car washout in IRL cars. Just an observation. :)

theunions
01-29-05, 10:01 PM
Press conference for "second driver" from PKV shop happening 11 am EST Tuesday.

nrc
01-30-05, 01:14 AM
Great news. This could be a pretty good season season if Tracy, da Matta, Seabass, Bruno, A.J. and RHR all show up in competitive cars.

Spicoli
01-30-05, 10:18 AM

washed out?

maybe forced out. subpar car, substandard team. Yoda management sucks. they hired ralphmalph, lets see them stumble and grind a few more years, all the while spending billions that no one will care about except honda. i hate yoda almost as much as i hate rahal, nut.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-30-05, 12:15 PM
Glad to see him back as he is a quality driver, but he'll always be an F1 washout.

Another strong combination on the grid. :thumbup:I really hate to say this but Cristiano isn't the only F1 washout that's been in our series before.

Take a look at these guys: Alex Zanardi, Mauricio Gugelmin, Max Papis, Roberto Moreno, and of course the ultimate in washouts Michael Andretti.

I loved them all sans Andretti.

Of course those gomers in TF are just loving it. :gomer: :rolleyes: :shakehead

And it was Toyota who washed out, not Cristiano.

Railbird
01-30-05, 12:18 PM
The fact is Shorty couldn't distance himself from an ageing teammate. Will he bring 3mil worth of attention to the series?

Time will tell.

But in the end I'm with nrc, if the we have 'dinger, Wilson, Tracy, Seabass, Junky, Shorty, Vasser, Tag, RHR all in decent cars we'll have the deepest field in a couple years,

Servia and Haberfeld would be nice also.

fourrunner
01-30-05, 12:25 PM
I think Eddie Cheever might top Michael Andretti because of his continual spiral to oblivion ... but Eddie is just a moron ... Michael is a duplicitous A**hole

Of course there are the Successful former F-1 drivers that came to CART / Champ Car

Mario Andretti , Emmerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell, Danny Sullivan, Willy T. Ribbs.....

Of course Willy T. Ribbs never drove in F-1, but I just enjoy the name Willy T. Ribbs!

I'm sure I'm missing someone!

Wheel-Nut
01-30-05, 01:58 PM

If DaMatta is an F1 washout then the two current N-H drivers are F1 neverhasbeens. Does it really matter?

RHR_Fan
01-30-05, 04:58 PM
I much rather see Wirdheim or Dalziel get the seat, because those guys probably won't end up at the remaining Forsythe seats unless they bring a wad of cash and no talent.

Agree.

It's not that I dislike da Matta, I just wanted Dalziel.

~Nicole

JohnnyQ
01-30-05, 07:05 PM
If I was PKV I'd hire Bruno's sister to hold his helmet. ;)

Andrew Longman
01-31-05, 10:29 AM
I take it then that Gonzales is out at PKV or is that old news?

If so I'd rather have DaMatta in the seat. He's not damaged goods in my book. And I like that NH isn't hoarding the talent.

If you look at the driver line up it is more competitive than Champcar has been in years. No if the team talent and funding can bring it up a notch too, I think we will see more winners than we have in a long time.

Steve99
01-31-05, 03:17 PM
I take it then that Gonzales is out at PKV or is that old news?

That's old news, but I can't remember what happened to him.

So far it is Toyota that has been the F1 washout, regardless of the drivers.

Dirty Sanchez
01-31-05, 03:46 PM
so where is friedbake to tell us how great da Matta is? :laugh:

Fried
01-31-05, 09:14 PM
so where is friedbake to tell us how great da Matta is? :laugh:you rang? :D

i'm just glad dude landed on his feet. we all know what he can do in a champcar, so from here on out it's all gravy, baby. :thumbup:

Spicoli
01-31-05, 09:24 PM
I'm smellin a wager here:

Blinky vs. Shorty? straightup?

Dirty Sanchez
01-31-05, 11:07 PM
are you interested in sacking up or you just trying to be the middle man... again? :o

racer2c
01-31-05, 11:17 PM
I'm smellin a wager here:

Blinky vs. Shorty? straightup?

Hmm. Blinky's had a few decent seasons on the best Champ Car team whereas Shorty is coming from a different series and to a new, lesser team. Ok! Straight up it is! :D I'll take that action.

Anteater
02-01-05, 12:46 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL! :cool: :thumbup:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8668

In the best of all possible worlds, it would be CDM at Newman/Haas, and Dalziel at PKV. Aside from that, I am delighted that Shorty is back!

RaceGrrl
02-01-05, 12:49 PM
So Anteater, who are you cheering for this year? Bourdais for me. :D

RHR_Fan
02-01-05, 11:18 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL! :cool: :thumbup:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8668

In the best of all possible worlds, it would be CDM at Newman/Haas, and Dalziel at PKV. Aside from that, I am delighted that Shorty is back!

How about Dalziel at N/H? :)

~Nicole

Anteater
02-01-05, 11:18 PM
I'll cheer for both Bourdais AND da Matta! Who says I have to pick just one? :D :thumbup:

Al Czervik
02-01-05, 11:56 PM
What is missing from this discussion is the big picture view, so here goes...

One of the main owners of the series is paying someone to drive for him. Going with the general assumption that Kalkoven is not going to spend multiples of the dollars he spent in 04, this is a good indication of the general health of the series.

- 04 PKV with one driver bringing sponsorship, 40% of Spike TV costs, and other costs

- 05 PKV paying Shorty, 40% of 50% network coverage, and other costs.

Assuming the $ outlay is the same (or close) for both years (a reasonable assumption), the "other costs" have been greatly reduced.

Things are looking good for the future :thumbup:

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-02-05, 12:32 AM
I am very happy that the powers that be have decided Da matta is someone that needs to be back in the series.

cart7
02-02-05, 08:33 AM
I'm just glad to have another name driver in the series.