PDA

View Full Version : Wrong way to deploy a pace car

ilferrari
01-29-05, 06:24 AM
Link (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/carexplode.wmv) :eek:

chop456
01-29-05, 06:55 AM
In case you were wondering, the rest of the video shows the Porsche driver emerging from his car stunned, while the Ferrari driver sits in his car being cooked and permanently disabled. He later won a lawsuit against the Fuji and the organizers.

Ziggy
01-29-05, 10:25 AM
Help me out here, where's the pacecar?

Those guys are going alot faster than the video implys. I have some questions. Chop, do you have a link to the entire video?

PM me if necessary, we dont want to start the ghoul argument

Andrew Longman
01-29-05, 10:53 AM
What about the poor guys in the flag tower? They look to be engulfed by the explosion.

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 06:00 PM
I've seen the whole clip of this before. It was not the fault of the pace car. It's called rain and heavy spray. The guy he hit may have checked up. Or he may have decided he could drive in the rain better then GOD. Who knows, but if anyone is to blame it may lay with the race organization if there is any fault at all. Perhaps they should have RED flagged the event or run under a yellow? It's hard to make an arm chair call on this when we were not there. All they can do is learn from this and have proceedures ready for the next time they have a group this large running in heavy rain.

I still would like to find out why the Ferrari went up in flames the way it did. Something is wrong with the fuel cell set up here. I believe this is one of their domestic series - so perhaps the standards of car workmanship is iffy??

What we don't see in this clip and the longer one I saw was the driver of the Ferrari getting no help from the corner workers getting out of the car. He sat stunned in the car as it was burning with a worker sort of running around and then standing with the bottle WATCHING!! Even when the driver fell out of the car on his own in flames the worker didn't appear to do much except he THEN decided to use the bottle - on the CAR! What a cluster ****!

This is one of the main reasons for the lawsuit I believe - that the track owners did not have people who could do a proper safety effort. Civil lawsuits are very rare in Japan - they have to go through quite a few reviews by the courts before they are even allowed to proceed. If they get this far they nearly always win - it's only the amount of money that is really up for discussion at this point.

Rule one: Racing is dangerous. Rule two: No rule two - see rule one.

Winston Wolfe
01-29-05, 06:09 PM
I think I saw this full video as well.
The horrible part is that the guy who gets out of the car has his helmut visor melted on to his face, and he basically gets little, to abosultely NO HELP, from the corner workers \ assistants who literally pull him out of the car and let him flop around on the ground while they put the fire out on the flaming hulk of a shell or what used to be a race car.
It is pretty graphic and really terrible to see.
The show pictures of the guy after many, many surgeries, and he still looks like he went through a heck of an ordeal.
amazing stuff.

Michaelhatesfans
01-29-05, 10:17 PM
You guys have already covered it well. The part of the video that's missing is truly horrifying to watch.

Sean O'Gorman
01-29-05, 10:20 PM
The part of the video that's missing is truly horrifying to watch.

Yep. :shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
01-29-05, 10:23 PM
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/archive/200310/29/20031029p2a00m0fp019000c.html

Michaelhatesfans
01-29-05, 10:46 PM
Here's the second part of that video - but I wouldn't be posting it if it had turned out any worse... You'll have to select "Sportscars" and then select Tetsuya Ota 2
(Edit, see following posts....)

Ziggy
01-29-05, 11:18 PM
Chop, thanks for the links.

The other link, to the crashes site, wont work. They show up, but I can view any of them. Never knew this site existed. Would be interested in seeing a few of these (some again)

What gives?

Thanks

Michaelhatesfans
01-30-05, 02:38 AM
The other link, to the crashes site, wont work. They show up, but I can view any of them. Never knew this site existed. Would be interested in seeing a few of these (some again)

What gives?

I don't know, it works for me. Then again, whenever my friends refer to me as Techno Man, it's with a fair degree of sarcasm! :gomer:

Steve99
01-30-05, 03:47 AM
Help me out here, where's the pacecar?

Isn't that the pacecar going off screen right as the posted clip starts?

BTW, that site linked above works for me. The videos seem to load into an embedded media player.

ilferrari
01-30-05, 06:56 AM
I didn't realise the consequences were so serious, it's the first time I saw that video. The pace car you can see at the start of the clip on the left of the screen. The whole pack bunches and clearly some of the drivers are not aware of the situation because they go into the back of their competitors at full speed. The problem with spray is the same as at Spa 98 when Schumacher hit Coulthard. The driver doesnt know if he's 50 metres away or 5 metres.

Aslo I'm amazed to see some of the drivers without their lights on. Also amazed to see the fuel cell rupture like that, they obviously don't use the same bag tanks you get in F1.

BobN
01-30-05, 12:32 PM
Virus warning.

My virus protection (McAfee) picked up a Trogan when I got to the link.

"Here's the second part of that video - but I wouldn't be posting it if it had turned out any worse... You'll have to select "Sportscars" and then select Tetsuya Ota 2
http://www.crashesonline.com/index1.htm "

Michaelhatesfans
01-30-05, 12:45 PM
Wow, sorry Bob - I didn't get anything like that. Maybe my popup blocker got it first? Anyway, sorry if there was a problem. :(

BobN
01-30-05, 12:55 PM
No prob for me. My virus protection caught it and cleaned it. :) I would suggest to others, to run a scan if they aren't sure of the protection.

JohnHKart
01-30-05, 08:13 PM
WARNING....Do not click the link to the second video......I did and now have tons of spyware junk....(search tool bars and assorted rubbish) I just spent an hour cleaning it off and dealing with my computer crashing. Some of it is still on my computer. I was going to spend the time getting ready for a trip....but got sent to spyware hell. It happened after I loaded the second video. Thanks.

John

Sean O'Gorman
01-30-05, 08:14 PM
Good thing I clicked that link at work, I don't care WHAT happens to that computer. ;)

Michaelhatesfans
01-31-05, 01:06 AM
I've edited that post and removed the link - sorry guys, I had no idea..... :(

G.
01-31-05, 02:50 PM
full vid here. http://www.compfused.com/directlink/428/

No known trojans or icky stuff.