PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Question

KaBoom21
01-28-05, 06:04 PM
Looking to get away with my girlfriend to someplace warm in late April/early May. All-inclusive resort, most likely Cozumel or Cancun. Want to keep it in the $1,200 - $1,500 range for a 7-night stay. Seems like prices are peaking for post-9/11 travel. Other than a little snorkeling and a trip out of the resort via scooters, we plan on hanging out on the beach and knocking back some cocktails.

Just curious what experiences or recommendations any of you have.

JoeBob
01-28-05, 06:06 PM
Hit one of the all inclusives in the Dominican Republic. Beautiful Island, less expensive than Mexico. Especially if you're not planning on leaving the resort much anyway.

mexican
01-28-05, 07:18 PM
if it's between the 2 mexican locations, cozumel would get my vote. smaller, more intimate, less crowded, less traffic and hustle & bustle. laid back is the key word. you also have better scuba diving if you are into that. Plus, you're just a ferry ride from Playa del Carmen.

I have no idea if they have AI resorts there though

racer2c
01-28-05, 07:50 PM
I've been to Cozumel and all over the Carribean. The wife and I dragged ourselves away from the bar on the ship and found a quaint little open air resteraunt in a quaint liitle courtyard off the beaten path (there's a strip of shops that the ship people swarm around). We drank about three large margaritas too many and stumblled back to the ship. Cozumels great!;)

If you prefer a more cultural experience, I recommend the Mexican and Jamaican ports of call. If you like it a bit more, English or American flavor i.e. you know what I mean, then the Bahammas, the Grand Caymens and even the Florida Keys (which can be very affordable) would be my recommendations.

If you are looking for a great little, affordable, beautiful and very secluded getaway, check out Sanibel Island off the gulf coast of Florida (Ft. Myers area). You'll think you're in the Carribean with miles of beach where it's just you and your honey.

cart7
01-28-05, 08:14 PM
That's a great time of the year to hit the Emerald coast in Florida. I'm suggesting Panama City Beach. The Spring breakers are gone and you'll have the place to yourself. Plenty of beachside all inclusive condo's for rent that time of the year cheap. Emerald green water, white sugar sand beaches, try snorkling over at shell Island, That time of the year you'd have the place to yourself. Lot's of great, on the beach bars and clubs including the world famous and worlds largest Club LaVela. This is it's last year before it's torn down for a condo complex and moved. You can also try your hand at deep sea fishing. The trip out is memorable. I guarentee you'll see at least one Manta ray, sea turtles galore, sharks, plenty of dolphins that seem to jump along side the boat on cue and the flying fish are amazing to watch. There's plenty of great seafood restaraunts around too along with some other fine quality dining.

dando
01-28-05, 08:22 PM
If you are looking for a great little, affordable, beautiful and very secluded getaway, check out Sanibel Island off the gulf coast of Florida (Ft. Myers area). You'll think you're in the Carribean with miles of beach where it's just you and your honey.

DON'T do that. While I agree that Sanibel is awesome, Charley hit the islands (Captiva and Sanibel) HARD last August. My in laws have had a time share down there for decades, and they may not be able to go back this March due to delays with the repairs. It'll be a year or two before the islands are ready for a full return. :(

-Kevin

racer2c
01-28-05, 08:33 PM
DON'T do that. While I agree that Sanibel is awesome, Charley hit the islands (Captiva and Sanibel) HARD last August. My in laws have had a time share down there for decades, and they may not be able to go back this March due to delays with the repairs. It'll be a year or two before the islands are ready for a full return. :(

-Kevin

Woah, forgot about that. Good tip. :thumbup:

sundaydriver2
01-28-05, 08:53 PM
I would take a hard look at Jamaica if money is the biggest concern. Jamaica seems to get lost in the shuffle when it becomes vaction time and they always have the best deals. I've never been to the island myself but I think you will find better deals going to Jamacia.

PM me if you want to go to the Keys. My family has a beach side condo in Key Colony Beach. The rent is $1200 for the week. Very laid back. :cool:

racer2c
01-28-05, 09:13 PM
I would take a hard look at Jamaica if money is the biggest concern. Jamaica seems to get lost in the shuffle when it becomes vaction time and they always have the best deals. I've never been to the island myself but I think you will find better deals going to Jamacia.

PM me if you want to go to the Keys. My family has a beach side condo in Key Colony Beach. The rent is $1200 for the week. Very laid back. :cool:

I really enjoyed my visits to Jamaica. My wife and I tend to shy away from the touristy activities and the first time there we hired a cab in Montego Bay and he took us up in the mountains for the day. We told him to show us the real Jamaica and we walked through coffee fields were the ladies were picking beans and holding them in their aprons and stopped to share some coconut meat with a rastafarian who climbed the tree to get it. We stopped at little huts every few miles to refresh our Red Strips. For dinner he took us to a guy who had a one man hut on the beach who made fresh grilled fish with Jamaican seasoned rice that was to die for. I still remember our host's name, Barthalomew (sp) Soloman. On the way back to the ship it rained harder than I've ever seen in my life for 15 minutes and then it was beautiful again. Quite a day.

Montego Bay (the west tip of the country) and Kingston on the eastern side are very different in culture. There are also black sand beaches which are neat to see.

Link (http://www.visitjamaica.com/home/Default.aspx)

chop456
01-29-05, 02:36 AM
If you're considering Cancun, go to Miami instead. They have all the same crappy restaurants, everyone speaks Spanish, and you don't have to change your money. I hated it.

Check out your local Apple office and their sheet of last minute deals. They usually have some great bargains. I'd opt for something like Ixtapa or Huatulco before the Cancun/Cozumel thing.

Dirty Sanchez
01-29-05, 02:40 AM
I recommend Mexico City or Sebring. :o

chop456
01-29-05, 05:46 AM
Sebring. :o

Good point!

C'mon, Kaboom. You know who will bring the bounce. :D

cart7
01-29-05, 06:47 AM

Better call first. ;) I think Jamaica lost a lot of it's structures to this dood named Ivan.

KaBoom21
02-02-05, 01:16 PM
I'd opt for something like Ixtapa or Huatulco before the Cancun/Cozumel thing.

Both looked awesome, but i hear the water isn't crystal clear like Cozumel/the Gulf. This is my trip of this type so I want the snorkeling conditions to be optimal.

Looking like Bahia Principe Talum in Riviera Maya.

chop456
02-02-05, 01:26 PM
Funny that you mention that. The only day we went snorkeling in Cancun, the visibility sucked. 1,000,000:1 and I still get burned.

The food and booze was great, though. :D

Audi_A4
02-02-05, 01:33 PM
I would recommend St. Martin / St. Maarten in the Caribbean. We stayed at http://www.mahobeach.com ... the trip was All inclusive... tonnes of booze, 5 restaurants to choose from, lots of selection. We took a last minute deal from Toronto for 1 week, it was $1,175 each and was worth every penny. The island is 1/2 French and 1/2 Dutch and is very safe. You have no worries with respect to the food or water like you do with Mexico or Dominican Republic.

KLang
02-02-05, 02:08 PM
I would recommend St. Martin / St. Maarten in the Caribbean. We stayed at http://www.mahobeach.com ... the trip was All inclusive... tonnes of booze, 5 restaurants to choose from, lots of selection. We took a last minute deal from Toronto for 1 week, it was $1,175 each and was worth every penny. The island is 1/2 French and 1/2 Dutch and is very safe. You have no worries with respect to the food or water like you do with Mexico or Dominican Republic.

Don't forget the nude beaches. :)

Although to be honest, some of those folks have no business on a nude beach. :eek:

Another vote for both St. Martin and Ixtapa. We really enjoyed the dining choices in St. Martin. Ixtapa, for us anyway, was a very relaxing trip. Much more laid back then Cancun. Didn't do any snorkeling though.

G.
02-02-05, 02:14 PM
nude beaches? With those jets blowing sand up yer arse? No thanks! :p

Ankf00
02-02-05, 02:18 PM
nude beaches? With those jets blowing sand up yer arse? No thanks! :p

also the possibilities for "abrasion"... :saywhat:

KLang
02-02-05, 03:22 PM
This is probably not work-safe but try googling Orient Beach. ;)

Audi_A4
02-02-05, 03:40 PM
oops double post

Audi_A4
02-02-05, 03:40 PM
Don't forget the nude beaches. :)

Although to be honest, some of those folks have no business on a nude beach. :eek:

Another vote for both St. Martin and Ixtapa. We really enjoyed the dining choices in St. Martin. Ixtapa, for us anyway, was a very relaxing trip. Much more laid back then Cancun. Didn't do any snorkeling though.

the nude beaches were full of wrinkly old people ... not a site you want to see ....