PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans GT1 drivers must drive 3:55

FCYTravis
01-28-05, 05:27 PM
(Title shamelessly stolen from Sean O'G)

If you're in a GT1 car at Le Mans and you turn a lap faster than 3m55s, your team will get a weight penalty.

I wish I was ****ting you.

"But should a model of car show too high a performance
and notably if it achieves lap times less than 3’55” during the
« 24 Heures du Mans » race, immediate measures will be taken
by the ACO in order to reduce its performances for the following
races."

As someone said on the ALMS forum, this turns Le Mans into the world's longest bracket race. It'll be a sandbagging competition... 3m55.00001s and NOT A MILLISECOND LESS.

And people here call Grand-Am contrived? :saywhat:

Racewriter
01-28-05, 06:41 PM
That's impossible.

As we know, Le Mans and its related series are the symbol of all that is pure and right about auto racing.

This must actually be something that NASCAR is doing. :shakehead

Who the F ever thought it was a good idea for the French to control racing, anyway? :rofl: :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
01-28-05, 07:15 PM
Who the F ever thought it was a good idea for the French to control racing, anyway? :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure Panoz figured they'd surrender control by now. :laugh:

Ziggy
01-28-05, 07:26 PM
They trot out the whacky rules every twenty years or so

They used to run on BTU's consumed, then they had some other whacky rules that pizzed off Team Lotus about spare tire location and other nonsense.

Without big time manufactures making super excessive go fast cars, it's all just picking over a corpse anyway.......

racer2c
01-28-05, 07:29 PM
That makes two sports car endurance races I'll ignore this year! An outrage! :mad:
Wait, how many sports car endurance races are there?

Don Quixote
01-28-05, 07:33 PM
Next, they should run the race on a mile long D-shaped oval.

cart7
01-28-05, 07:56 PM
I guess Hagar outa rewrite a special version of an old classic retitled, "I can't drive under, 3-55!" :laugh:

Steve99
01-28-05, 08:03 PM
If you're in a GT1 car at Le Mans and you turn a lap faster than 3m55s, your team will get a weight penalty.

"But should a model of car show too high a performance
and notably if it achieves lap times less than 3’55” during the
« 24 Heures du Mans » race, immediate measures will be taken
by the ACO in order to reduce its performances for the following
races."

What does this really mean? Sounds like they won't do anything for the 24 Hours, but for future ACO races.

What lap times did the GTS cars have last year?

Sean O'Gorman
01-28-05, 08:34 PM
I guess Hagar outa rewrite a special version of an old classic retitled, "I can't drive under, 3-55!" :laugh:

That is what I said but Travis screwed up the title. :P

Racing Truth
01-28-05, 09:08 PM
I'm sure Panoz figured they'd surrender control by now. :laugh:

Yet another brilliant decision. :shakehead

Kidding, just kidding folks. :rofl: :D

nissan gtp
01-28-05, 09:09 PM
huh, go figgure.

guess IRL drivers will be in the hunt for rides, seeing as slow times are needed :gomer:

FCYTravis
01-28-05, 09:10 PM
What does this really mean? Sounds like they won't do anything for the 24 Hours, but for future ACO races.
It means your make will be penalized for the very next race and all to follow that are run under the ACO Code.

Given that ALMS races are run under the ACO Code, I don't see why they'd be exempted.

So, if the C6Rs run a 3m50s lap, they'll be carrying lead at the next ALMS race.

That's a pretty powerful incentive to sandbag like hell and stay under 3m55s.

Racing Truth
01-28-05, 09:16 PM
They trot out the whacky rules every twenty years or so

They used to run on BTU's consumed, then they had some other whacky rules that pizzed off Team Lotus about spare tire location and other nonsense.

Without big time manufactures making super excessive go fast cars, it's all just picking over a corpse anyway.......

Yes, and we can see where "big time manufacturers...." have gotten us.

Live by super manufacturers, die by super manufacturers.

CART learned that, the IRL is learning that. But apparently Ole Don has a master plan to make it work. Good luck with that.

Railbird
01-28-05, 11:25 PM
could modern day racing possibly be any more ****ed up?

racer2c
01-28-05, 11:45 PM

No.

pchall
01-29-05, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Ziggy]They trot out the whacky rules every twenty years or so

They used to run on BTU's consumed, then they had some other whacky rules ... QUOTE]

Ah! The good old days of the Index of Performance, which seemed to be the only way some guy in a beret could take home a trophy for puttering around the Sarthe circuit for twenty-four hours in a two cylinder Panhard powered device.

Racing Truth
01-29-05, 03:05 PM
On the rule itself:

1. How fast was the quickest GTS lap last year?

2. Regardless, its now win at the slowest pace you can, or something like that.

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 08:03 PM
On the rule itself:

1. How fast was the quickest GTS lap last year?

2. Regardless, its now win at the slowest pace you can, or something like that.

Max Papis ran a 3.49.9 at the April 2004 test day in Car#63 in the C5R

Easy
01-31-05, 01:22 PM

No

I wouldn't be so optimistic. The GPWC still exists. A manufacturer founded series, sounds like an obvious recipe for longevity :shakehead

Steve99
01-31-05, 03:29 PM
Given that ALMS races are run under the ACO Code, I don't see why they'd be exempted.

ALMS seems to run under a modifed set of rules close to the ACO. They've modified rules before.

Regardless, this "bracket racing" rule is stupid.

extramundane
01-31-05, 04:07 PM
ALMS seems to run under a modifed set of rules close to the ACO. They've modified rules before.

They have modified rules now, for that matter- Dyson's Lolas can't run their ALMS configuration at LeMans. Then there's the whole Maserati beehive...