PDA

View Full Version : any locksmiths out there?

Dvdb
01-28-05, 11:49 AM
Over the last few months, the lock to my condo has become 'sticky'. I would have to wiggle and jiggle the key to get it to turn. Anyway, this morning it seems to have completely frozen.

Any simple solutions/suggestions before I break down and call a locksmith?

Dave99
01-28-05, 12:15 PM
Sometimes if a door has too tight a fit when closed, the lock can be difficult to work. Assuming that is not the problem and the key itself has not worn down, I would disassemble the lock, DW40 everything and reassemble snugly. If you are still having problems, it would probably be cheaper for you to replace the lock with a new one than it would to have a locksmith repair or replace one for you. (If you can read Engrish you can follow the installation instructions).

Here's a key tip- whenever possible, never use keys from your keyring to get copies made. Always use spare keys which have little to no wear.

G.
01-28-05, 12:23 PM
graphite. You can buy it in tube with a metal "needle" for inserting into your lock.

But, what Dave said. Check to see if it is binding anywhere first. You may just need to adjust the striker plate (the thingy with the hole that the tab locks into).

Dvdb
01-28-05, 02:28 PM
no luck on the lubricant. think I may have to bite the bullet!

rosawendel
01-28-05, 05:18 PM
if it's actually frozen, with actual water mind you, use wd40. liberally. the "wd" stands for "water displacer", and it's great for locks.

worst case scenario is you take the lock out and take it to a locksmith. we had a core changed recently, and with 4 new keys, it only came to about 20 bucks. the locksmith was praising the virtures of wd40 up and down. he poo-pooed graphite, because it can get messy.

oddlycalm
01-29-05, 05:22 PM
I've been using Molybdenum Di-Sulfide since I discovered it while working for a machine builder in the late 1970's. Originally developed as a longer lasting alternative to graphite for the space program, it can be almost as messy in it's powdered forms. I use it in a spray can where it comes in with an evaporating carrier fluid. This stuff sticks to metal parts and stays there for a very long time. If you own a house or car, you need to spend $8.50 on a can of this stuff. Sqeeky hinges, funky lock sets, kids swing sets, you name it.
Molyfilm (https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/kanoinlu.htm#anchor227248)

Dow's Molykote division also makes this stuff and has a food grade version that is just the thing for threads and hinges on outdoor grills and BBQ pits of for use in areas around kids. Their H2 food grade lubricant is good from -76°F to 482°F. I have a friend that does pit BBQ in the winter near Calgary, Alberta really cold temps, and he uses it to make sure that the hinges and draft controls on his BBQ pit will work when it's -40F. Hasn't had a problem yet.
Molykote (http://www.dowcorning.com/content/molykote/)

oc