PDA

View Full Version : Ford Recalls 792,000 vehicles

trish
01-27-05, 06:59 PM
Not a good year so far. (http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/27/pf/autos/ford_recall.reut/index.htm)

How common is a recall this size in the auto industry? I see Ford also recalled 600,000 vehicles last month. Seems like a lot to me.

rabbit
01-27-05, 07:13 PM
One person may have been injured in connection with the recalled vehicles, according to Ford. One person may have been injured? Out of 792,000 vehicles? :saywhat:

B3RACER1a
01-27-05, 10:17 PM
That's what I was thinking. :laugh:

racer2c
01-27-05, 10:21 PM
Not a good year so far. (http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/27/pf/autos/ford_recall.reut/index.htm)

How common is a recall this size in the auto industry? I see Ford also recalled 600,000 vehicles last month. Seems like a lot to me.

Common for all makes and models. Don't loose your socks, but even Honda and Toyota have recalls, although their owners tend to ignore them.

Ankf00
01-27-05, 10:35 PM
b/c of my resume and SAE association, i had to explain to sr mgrs today why I didn't want to work for GM or Ford...

mmmm, make flight hardware for space... or make a bucket of bolts... hrmmmmmmm

touch choice. ;)

nrc
01-27-05, 11:19 PM
Recalls are up for almost all makers, including Honda and Toyota. The domestics are trying to refresh their lines after their long drunken SUV spree. More new models and more shared components make for more recalls.

Top Recalls from 2004

COMPANY MODEL COMPONENT VEHICLES
General Motors 00-04 Pickups Tailgate cables 3,662,211
Chrysler 95-99 Sedans Shifter cable 2,315,768
General Motors 98-01 Sedans Ignition switch 1,415,231
Honda 01-04 Car/SUV/Trucks Transmission 1,099,796
Ford 02-03 SUVs Latch 955,732
Chrysler 98-00 Minivans Air bag 955,344
Ford 00-03 Sedans Brake light switch 938,789
General Motors 98-00 Sedans Fuel system 910,873
Ford 99-01 Sedans Suspension 899,060
General Motors 02-04 SUVs Brake lights 871,473

Sean O'Gorman
01-27-05, 11:22 PM
Recalls are up for almost all makers, including Honda and Toyota. The domestics are trying to refresh their lines after their long drunken SUV spree. More new models and more shared components make for more recalls.

Top Recalls from 2004

COMPANY MODEL COMPONENT VEHICLES
General Motors 00-04 Pickups Tailgate cables 3,662,211
Chrysler 95-99 Sedans Shifter cable 2,315,768
General Motors 98-01 Sedans Ignition switch 1,415,231
Honda 01-04 Car/SUV/Trucks Transmission 1,099,796
Ford 02-03 SUVs Latch 955,732
Chrysler 98-00 Minivans Air bag 955,344
Ford 00-03 Sedans Brake light switch 938,789
General Motors 98-00 Sedans Fuel system 910,873
Ford 99-01 Sedans Suspension 899,060
General Motors 02-04 SUVs Brake lights 871,473

So, the final score is:

USA-12,924,481
Japan-1,099,796

We're #1! :shakehead

racer2c
01-27-05, 11:23 PM
So, the final score is:

USA-12,924,481
Japan-1,099,796

Keep in mind the total amount of vehicles sold in the US by each.

nrc
01-27-05, 11:36 PM
So, the final score is:

USA-12,924,481
Japan-1,099,796

Recalls by Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford Motor Co., the No. 2 U.S. automaker, rose 48 percent to 5.04 million. Tokyo-based Honda Motor Co., Japan's third-largest automaker, recalled 2.14 million models, more than double the 2003 total. Recalls by Toyota Motor Corp., the biggest Japanese carmaker, rose to 1.21 million in 2004

The figures for Ford and Honda are roughly proportionate to their total sales.

Ankf00
01-27-05, 11:59 PM
http://www.morgancom.com/AutoSalesSummary.pdf

the numbers, however, don't match up for toyota...

2.06M annual vs. 3.10 for Ford

2:3 in sales

2:8 in recalls

nrc
01-28-05, 12:15 AM
http://www.morgancom.com/AutoSalesSummary.pdf

the numbers, however, don't match up for toyota...

2.06M annual vs. 3.10 for Ford

2:3 in sales

2:8 in recalls

Right, so if that's your number one consideration you should run out and by a Toyota now.

Ankf00
01-28-05, 12:22 AM
Right, so if that's your number one consideration you should run out and by a Toyota now.

more than double the recalls makes it kinda hard to consider your average FMC machine with any set of factors that contain the slightest semblance of responsibility

nrc
01-28-05, 12:45 AM
more than double the recalls makes it kinda hard to consider an FMC machine with any set of factors that contain the slightest semblance of responsibility

Bah. I buy cars because I like the way they drive, look, and meet my transporation needs. I've never had a car with enough service problems to over-ride those primary considerations.

Sean O'Gorman
01-28-05, 10:05 AM
My Toyota is exciting and reliable, the only mechanical failure in my 2 1/2 years of owning it (other than those I brought upon myself :o ) being a snapped shifter cable a little over a year ago.

It is a shame that all the cars they churn out now are incredibly boring. :mad:

mexican
01-28-05, 06:12 PM
you really think so SOG? I've had my eye on a XRS for a while now. small, relatively cheap with a peppy engine. I've yet to test drive it but I like what I see.

Sean O'Gorman
01-28-05, 06:32 PM
XRS is the Matrix right? Don't like it, it feels like a PT Cruiser.

My problem with today's cars is they are too big. 1) The cars have too much uncessary weight, 2) I hate the feel of the car with big minivan seats. I have to stretch my legs out when I drive, it is such a pain to be pushing "down" on the pedals, not pushing "forward".

I'll probably still be driving my MR2 5 years from now, so I haven't bothered to look much at what is out there, but if I was looking for a new car, I'd probably go for a Mazda 3 on the low end of the price scale, or a Lancer Evo MR (the one without A/C, wing, radio, etc.) in the 30k range.

mexican
01-28-05, 06:54 PM
no, the corolla with the 170 pony engine, souped up suspension & 6 speed, as I said, haven't driven it yet but on paper it looks yummy

PT Cruiser.... bleah!!!

Sean O'Gorman
01-28-05, 07:21 PM
I don't like the Corolla either. I test drove one at a Toyota promotional event and it was slow and handled super sloppy. The "instructor" ended my run early after I locked up the brakes, and then she proceeded to lecture me about my driving for about 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

mexican
01-28-05, 07:30 PM
ok, I'll give you the scoop once I test it (or buy it)

from what you tell me is wrong with it, it seems they attacked those areas (shocks, struts, swaybars, wheels, tyres, 4 discs, ABS, hps)

now if I can just get these MoFos to give me a real price & not try to shaft me...

cart7
01-28-05, 08:04 PM
more than double the recalls makes it kinda hard to consider your average FMC machine with any set of factors that contain the slightest semblance of responsibility
I've owed countless FMC vehicles over 30 years and I'd never considered one of them a lemon nor needing anymore maintenance than a couple other brands I've owned. OTOH, don't ask me about my history with GM vehicles, I won't buy another.

nrc
01-29-05, 11:04 AM
Of course the other hidden aspect of recall numbers is how much effort the manufacturer puts into avoiding them. One of the first signs of Ford's turn-around in the late 70's was that they stopped fighting every recall and decided it was better just to fix things.

Take Honda, please. Today's Car Talk column gives a perfect example. Honda hasn't recalled thousands of CRVs in spite of the fact that if you don't install a new, original equipment oil filter with surgical precision, oil will leak on the headers and start a fire. They're sending out warnings and notifying everyone they can, but all the warnings in the world won't stop Bif down at the Jiffy Lube from torching a few CRVs.

The problem is common enough that they should really just recall the vehicles and put a shield on the header.

racer2c
01-29-05, 01:07 PM
no, the corolla with the 170 pony engine, souped up suspension & 6 speed, as I said, haven't driven it yet but on paper it looks yummy

PT Cruiser.... bleah!!!

My brother in law has a GT turbo Cruiser. 210hp with a huge aftermarket for customizing the inside and outside. It's no sports car, but surprisingly quick, good build quality (switchgear has a solid feel) and incredibly utilitarian without being a giant SUV. Sure it's ugly to some but I applaud Chrysler for making the Cruiser. It's very affordable also. Neat little car.

Ankf00
01-29-05, 02:48 PM
I've owed countless FMC vehicles over 30 years and I'd never considered one of them a lemon nor needing anymore maintenance than a couple other brands I've owned. OTOH, don't ask me about my history with GM vehicles, I won't buy another.

the blob Taurus, a few Aerostars, a couple of Windstars, all piles of junk at my end, ESPECIALLY the Taurus

TRDfan
01-29-05, 02:53 PM
I don't think I should even enter this conversation.....

:cool:

racer2c
01-29-05, 03:57 PM
Don’t be shy, jump on in!

I’ve been meaning to talk about ‘reliability’ since it was mentioned in the other car thread. It’s a topic that really gets under my skin in that most people seem to confuse build quality with ‘reliability’. As most of us here are I assume, being race fans, I’m a car fanatic. I read all I can about new models. I test drive cars frequently as I live very close to numerous dealers. I listen to Pat Gauss, a syndicated car talk show guy who shares my opinion on the ‘reliability’ issue in that there is no such thing as bad cars today. Pat owns a highly reputable garage and constantly reminds people who ask for reliability advice that he sees just as many Toyotas with engine and transmission problems as he does Chevy’s.

I believe people form opinions on reliability today based on two main things, reputation and build quality. The Japanese cars were making high quality, reliable and affordable cars in the 80’s when the Big 3 were producing crap on wheels. The reputation of Honda and Toyota’s carried them some incredibly successful years with the US guys playing catch up. Well, they caught up. At least in terms of reliability (and reliability to me means mechanical failure.) Which leads me to the second item, build quality. If the power window button just doesn’t ‘feel’ right, they will question the reliability of the vehicle. Things you physically interact with really spawn the “can I live with this car’ questions. Two years ago before I bought my GT Eclipse, I thought I wanted a V8 car. Even though I hate GM products, I was open minded and went and drove a Trans Am. Tons of fun! But the switch-gear was so pathetic I just couldn’t see myself living with it.

My other brother in law told me he was going to trade his ’99 Sierra in on a new one. He and his wife love Toyota, it’s all they will buy. I talked him into at least test driving a new Chrysler Town and Country, fully loaded with CD/DVD, leather, the awesome Stow and Go and all wheel drive. He pulled into the driveway in a new Sierra. He said he liked the T&C, it was larger inside, had DVD player that his Toyota didn’t, had a more powerful V6 and came in only a few grand more. When I asked why he didn’t purchase the T&C, he reply was “It’s a Chrysler and I didn’t like the way the switch-gear felt”. Can’t blame him there now can I!

oddlycalm
01-29-05, 04:06 PM
More new models and more shared components make for more recalls. Absolutely right. The number of models directly effects the statistical probability of a recall while the number of shared components effects the size of the recalls.

Recalls are actually a good thing. I recall the bad old days when the burden for dealing with known issues was mostly on the customer, and recalls at the builders expense were few and far between.

people seem to confuse build quality with ‘reliability’. Also and excellent point. Some cars that have the best build quality do not have reliability to match, and vice versa. Two different things for the most part. The most glaring example are the Jags of the 1980's. Among the best build quality of any cars available but with dreadful reliability. Some cars fall short on both counts (remember the Vega and Pinto?).

oc

cart7
01-29-05, 07:09 PM
the blob Taurus, a few Aerostars, a couple of Windstars, all piles of junk at my end, ESPECIALLY the Taurus

Don't know about the minivans, I've never owned one. As for Tauruses, I currently still have the '98 which we just gave to the kid for his first car. My wife just bought a 02 Taurus with the 24V DOHC, fully loaded. 23k miles, still in fact warr for $10k. That engines got plenty of meat for a taurus. As for me, I've owned 3 Ford trucks and one Chevy. In that time I racked up probably 500,000 miles on the trucks and I can't complain about a single one of them, this includes pulling a boat for a lot of those miles. Others I've owned. 69 Mach 1, 69 TBird, 78 TBird, 88 Tempo, 79 Mercury Bobcat with the little 4 banger, 175,000 miles without an engine and only 1 new clutch.