PDA

View Full Version : Remember Apollo 1

sadams
01-27-05, 08:04 AM
January 27, 1967 we lost 3 fine men Virgil "Gus" grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffe. Their loss most likely made the trip to the moon safe for the rest, because that command module was full of bugs

Jervis Tetch 1
01-27-05, 08:39 AM
January 27, 1967 we lost 3 fine men Virgil "Gus" grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffe. Their loss most likely made the trip to the moon safe for the rest, because that command module was full of bugs
I was only five when it happened, but I can remember news reports of it. At Long Beach, all three astronauts have islands named after them.

RTKar
01-27-05, 09:04 AM
I was only five when it happened, but I can remember news reports of it. At Long Beach, all three astronauts have islands named after them.

I was a couple years older but I remember it too...truly a sad day. The space program was SO cool in those years to a young boy.

dando
01-27-05, 06:57 PM
I was only 4 mos. old when it happened, but I've followed the space program for as long as I can remember. I actually do remember several of the Apollo landings. It always gives me pause to think of Gus, Roger, and Ed, as well as the heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in our space endeavors.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/ap1patch.gif

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo1_crew.gif

:thumbup:

-Kevin

sadams
01-28-05, 08:07 AM
I was in 7th grade when we loast Apollo 1. I watched every launch from Allen Shepard right through until the 1st Shuttle flight with Young and Crippen. My parents thought it was something worth understanding and it made me take math ans science more seriously. Of course by the time I got out of high school in 1972 the space program budget was not looking good.

Ed_Severson
01-28-05, 11:19 AM
I'm too young to have lived through that phase of America's space exploration, but I've always had a huge interest in it, particularly in the Apollo flights. Everytime I read or hear about these guys, it makes me proud to be a Boilermaker just like Gus and Roger, and an American like all three of 'em.

Godspeed, gentlemen. :thumbup:

Dvdb
01-28-05, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine, and old Air Force colonel was great friends with Gus Grissom. Tells great stories of dog fighting him a few hundred feet off the deck.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-28-05, 04:44 PM
There's a great little museum in Gus Grissom's hometown of Mitchell, Ind. When I went there several years ago it had a space capsule of I believe one of the Gemini's there. Not sure if it's still there or not (and someone correct me if I'm wrong about the type). I just know it wasn't his original Liberty Bell 7 Project Mercury capsule as that went down in the ocean (and was subsequently found).

Pretty neat stuff.

Ankf00
01-29-05, 12:27 AM
http://www.collectspace.com/review/abemblem_rendezvous.jpg

Al Czervik
01-29-05, 02:18 AM
I have always been in awe of the space program. I love to look at the night sky and wonder what is out there. As a graduate of Purdue Engineering, I feel a very slight (very, very slight, but its there) kinship (sp) with the great men who have gone before me into the heavens. It is humbling to realize that I have walked on the same grounds as Gus, Rodger, Neil, Gene, and several others. The men and women of the space program are my true heros.

Godspeed to Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia.

Ziggy
01-29-05, 02:20 AM
Gus Grissom is an interesting story. Sort of the black sheep of the original astronauts. Being from Indiana, I remember the incident/accident and knowing that all inside that rocket were gone...

Thanks for the brain jog

RIP Gus, Roger and Ed.