PDA

View Full Version : Nascar at Mid Ohio ????

skaven
01-27-05, 12:27 AM
Help fellow camber-ites -

I have a bet with a fellow. His claim is that Winston Cup cars have raced at Mid Ohio. I cried balderdash. Do any of you Ohioans or Other-ians know whether or not this is true? I might need proof too. Whereas I trust the redoubtable Kellner, pchall, etc., by betting partner will need proof.

Thanks. :)

theunions
01-27-05, 02:44 AM
No.

When Craftsman Trucks ran at Mansfield last May, it marked the state's first NASCAR touring event in almost exactly 50 years. Mid-Ohio, in contrast, opened in 1962.

Sources: Mid-Ohio's website "Track Facts" page, UMI's inaugural CTS yearbook.

Brickman
01-27-05, 03:04 AM
I personally don't recall. Riverside had stock cars in 1963-1988 Watkins Glen starting in 1986. Sears Point from 1989.

I'll throw out a wild guess... a confusion from similar paint schemes...

Can Am in the 70's

http://www.amxfiles.com/amcpix/donohue.jpg

NASCAR 70's

http://www.geocities.com/mmbb444/img82.jpg

Michaelhatesfans
01-27-05, 03:05 AM
Maybe he's thinking of when IROC ran there in the Camaros? If he remembers Waltrip and company racing there, perhaps that's what he's got in his head. That's the closest thing I can think of.

Railbird
01-27-05, 06:07 AM
Maybe he's thinking about Road America, Nascar ran there once in '55 or '56.

JohnHKart
01-27-05, 06:52 AM
I'm pretty well up on my Nascar history.....Cup never raced at Mid Ohio...must be the IROC or some kind of stock car series he's thinking of.

John

skaven
01-27-05, 09:37 AM
Ahh.... good job luminaries. :thumbup:

I'll send him a link to this page. If he needs more, he can look at the links referenced by theunions.

Thanks for your help. I'll collect my winnings and owe each of you a beer should I have the good fortune to attend an event outside of Denver this year or should any of you find yourselves at the Denver GP (this from a former Chicagoan who used to hit 4 races a year).

Rob
01-27-05, 10:13 AM
His claim is that Winston Cup cars have raced at Mid Ohio. I cried balderdash.
Is that exactly how he phrased his statement? If there were Winston Cup cars participating in a historics event there then he would technically be correct!

Turn7
01-27-05, 10:18 AM
Is that exactly how he phrased his statement? If there were Winston Cup cars participating in a historics event there then he would technically be correct!

Not really because they weren't sanctioned as Winston Cup cars at the time they ran it if there were some in a Historics event.

Ex-Winston Cup isn't Winston Cup.

B Real
01-27-05, 11:06 AM
Did the USAC stock cars ever race there? Some people may have confused the two series.

skaven
01-27-05, 01:52 PM
If there were Winston Cup cars participating in a historics event there then he would technically be correct!

I agree with Turn7 - he's not getting my money on such a technicality.

theunions
01-27-05, 02:10 PM
Did the USAC stock cars ever race there? Some people may have confused the two series.

Not sure, but most of USAC stocks' smattering of road course events were on the west coast (i.e., Riverside, Paramount Ranch).

Railbird
01-27-05, 05:38 PM
USAC stocks ran the "Yankee 300" on the IRP roadcourse in it's shortened counter clockwise form.

I'm pretty sure they didn't run Mid Ohio.

nrc
01-27-05, 09:16 PM
Got this via email from a lurker - hopefully they'll consider registering.

Yep! I can't remember the exact year, as I was only 9 or so if I remember...but it was a USAC stock car race and it was in either 1965 or '66! I didn't know squat about racing then...but even I laughed at how slow those piggies were trudging around the old narrow mid-60's Mid-Ohio! It was fun watching the big tanks race though. Sure wish I could remember more about the event, but just wanted to let your members know it did happen. And, it was a one-time only deal!

RTKar
01-27-05, 10:18 PM
Check NASCAR history by each decade:

http://www.decadesofracing.net/SecondDecade.htm

...saw a listing for C-Bus in '53 (?), RA was in the 50's as well.

Railbird
01-27-05, 10:34 PM
good stuff nrc, something to keep in mind while researching.

Amazing to think back on how incomplete the picture of that era is. If it was a USAC stock show during that period I would expect that their was a few big names involved.

pchall
01-28-05, 11:34 AM
Does anyone else here remember when Michelle wanted a Busch North date for M-O? Late 80s.

Don Quixote
01-28-05, 02:03 PM
I was looking at the IROC website for races at MO. It looks like they raced the Cameros there in early June in 1985, 1986 and 1987. Rahole won in 1985 and 1987, and Opie won in 1986. I had forgotten that they also ran in Cleveland several years back in the 80's. The driver lineups were impressive back in the day. It looks like it became a mostly NASCAR series in the early 1990's when they went to ovals only.

Itanimulli
02-18-05, 02:27 AM
There was a Cup car at M-O for the vintage grand prix last summer. Here's a link to my webpage. The #2 miller Genuine draft car goes by at the end.

My Page (http://www.geocities.com/r_mcauley)

trauma1
02-18-05, 09:22 AM
highly doubt it i don't know if mid ohio has garages but that is one of nascars requirements now that they track has to have garages, they is one or two short tracks that don't have them but they were grandfathered in, it's one of the reason Milwaukee has never been able to get nascar there, the big spender want all the frills, if the track doesn't have then they wil not even give em a look

pchall
02-18-05, 10:10 AM
nevermind

Racewriter
02-18-05, 02:47 PM
good stuff nrc, something to keep in mind while researching.

Amazing to think back on how incomplete the picture of that era is. If it was a USAC stock show during that period I would expect that their was a few big names involved.

They also ran the road courses at Mid-America Raceway at Wentzville, MO, Meadowdale, IL, and Castle Rock, CO, in the 60s and 70s. I didn't know they ran M-O either. I'll have to research that.