PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap?!?! Age limits?!?!

rabbit
01-26-05, 04:35 PM
Max Mosley must be destroyed. (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/14906/)

An NBA-like salary cap, two-day race weekends, an age limit for a team’s second driver and the scraping altogether of backup cars are among the proposals to be presented by the FIA in the upcoming cost-cutting meeting with Formula 1’s teams, scheduled for this Friday in London. Tony George and Max Mosley, separated at birth?

Railbird
01-26-05, 04:43 PM
Geezus that's lame.

The Wall-Martization of racing.

Methanolandbrats
01-26-05, 04:43 PM
Why not charge more for a ticket, run virtual races on a huge TV screen while the fans gaze at a showcar on a turntable. That would save even more money. **** Max with a rusty fencepost.

TrueBrit
01-26-05, 04:46 PM
**** Max with a rusty fencepost.

....Sideways.....

As a race car series administrator he makes a great lawyer..... :shakehead

oddlycalm
01-29-05, 05:53 PM
Instead how about an age cap, mandatory annual physicals and periodic urine testing for drugs for all FIA officials....? That would have saved us from much of Ballestre's senility as well as Mosely's latest binge/insanity. Mandating of new equipment and arbitrary rule changes have probably cost more than anything else in F1 over the years.

oc

Edit due to spelling insanity

FTG
01-29-05, 06:28 PM
I'd love to see a salary cap. If you really believe Schu and Ferrari would still dominate with the same budget, prove it. But I bet the pointy chin coward would retire instead of competing aginst younger drivers with competitive cars.

Dr. Corkski
01-29-05, 07:02 PM
Well you can't prove that Ferrari will dominate with a salary cap since that hasn't happened, so the question is about as pointless as Jacques Villeneuve's sorry attempts at Renault last year.

It's all in how you spend your money anyway. Toyota had almost 2.5x the budget that Sauber had, and Sauber scored almost 4x the points that Toyota managed. Williams and McLaren spent far more than BAR and Renault did (about as much as the Ferrari-Williams gap) and look how that turned out. Hell, remember BAR during the Pollock era? Ferrari dominates because they spend their money wisely.

Of course if Schumacher were to retire because he was afraid of the Kimis and Alonsos challenging him, he would have done it at the end of 2003. At least he won't go around saying he would retire if he couldn't beat Jensen Timberlake, and not follow through on it.

Methanolandbrats
01-29-05, 07:09 PM
If you really believe Schu and Ferrari would still dominate with the same budget, prove it. But I bet the pointy chin coward would retire instead of competing aginst younger drivers with competitive cars.

Schumi took the POS Bennetton to the front on a normal budget. You could hand Yoda 10x the money Ferrari spends and it would still be a cluster****. The second Schumi retires, Ferrari will become a mid pack outfit.

Sean O'Gorman
01-29-05, 07:23 PM
I'd love to see a salary cap. If you really believe Schu and Ferrari would still dominate with the same budget, prove it. But I bet the pointy chin coward would retire instead of competing aginst younger drivers with competitive cars.

A salary cap would only increase the amount of money that Ferrari could allocate to R&D since Schumi would be getting paid less. As for overall budget caps, I doubt there would be any way to feasibly police costs. How do you attach a price to a team using its own wind tunnel, or test track, etc?

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 08:06 PM
Schumi took the POS Bennetton to the front on a normal budget. You could hand Yoda 10x the money Ferrari spends and it would still be a cluster****. The second Schumi retires, Ferrari will become a mid pack outfit.

You mean the POS Benetton with the hidden/illegal software? :rofl: (edit - spell check on Benetton!)

Dr. Corkski
01-29-05, 08:19 PM
You mean the POS Bennetton with the hidden/illegal software? :rofl:Speaking of proof, did they ever find any evidence of that?

Methanolandbrats
01-29-05, 08:20 PM
You mean the POS Bennetton with the hidden/illegal software? :rofl:http://www.xtrememass.com/forum//images/smilies/1026/jerkit.gif

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 08:27 PM
Speaking of proof, did they ever find any evidence of that?

Yup. Both Flav and MS have said they bent the rules. Note - bent. Ones man "bent" is another mans jail time! :shakehead

Dr. Corkski
01-29-05, 08:32 PM
Yup. Both Flav and MS have said they bent the rules. Note - bent. Ones man "bent" is another mans jail time! :shakeheadSteve Machett who actually worked on that team said nothing of that sort, and I would be interested to see what those exact "quotes" were and where you found them. :gomer:

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 08:57 PM
Steve Machett who actually worked on that team said nothing of that sort, and I would be interested to see what those exact "quotes" were and where you found them. :gomer:

Oh christ now I gotta do research... sigh. It was posted on AtlasF1 before it went to a paysite. By the way, Steve is not going to tarnish the silverware. I always remember Senna's comments about standing trackside and listening to MS come through slow corners and running back to Ron Dennis saying these guys are using traction control.

Methanolandbrats
01-29-05, 09:07 PM
Oh christ now I gotta do research... sigh. It was posted on AtlasF1 before it went to a paysite. By the way, Steve is not going to tarnish the silverware. I always remember Senna's comments about standing trackside and listening to MS come through slow corners and running back to Ron Dennis saying these guys are using traction control. Senna? Well oh ****, that proves it. If that whiney prick says it's true, it must be. :rolleyes: How could anyone stay on pace with Senna without cheating. And how dare anyone pass him. Screw Senna.

TorontoWorker
01-29-05, 09:12 PM
Senna? Well oh ****, that proves it. If that whiney prick says it's true, it must be. :rolleyes: How could anyone stay on pace with Senna without cheating. And how dare anyone pass him. Screw Senna.

Hey all the fast guys whine. Besides - calling a guy a who is now dead a "prick" is a bit over the top don't you think? I wasn't a fan of his and whiny I could live with... but the other... :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
01-29-05, 09:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Senna isn't going to get upset about being called a prick on OC...

racer2c
01-29-05, 09:21 PM
Senna was my god. Like Gerhard Berger wrote, Senna could find traction in gravel. If he heard tractional control, there was traction control. and he probably whined to Ron to add it to his car. ;) :D

Dr. Corkski
01-29-05, 09:32 PM
I doubt Ron would have listened, since he was too busy dealing with exploding Peugoets to make sure Senna had traction control in his Williams. Of course, Senna being the gentleman racer that he was, would never cheat or lie like crash into another driver intentionally or use those evil team orders. You can't possibly get a more unbiased answer than the guy who got beatened at his own game at home.

racer2c
01-29-05, 09:35 PM
Cool, now along with a Verstappen bashing thread, and a DaMatta bashing thread, we have a Senna bashing thread.

There's are hundreds of Verstappens to take your pent up anger out on. Leave Senna alone.

Ozarkian
01-29-05, 10:39 PM
Instead how about an age cap, mandatory annual physicals and periodic urine testing for drugs for all FIA officials....? That would have saved us from much of Ballestre's senility as well as Mosely's latest binge/insanity.

Best idea I've heard. And, although somewhat off-topic, perhaps a minimum IQ for stateside open-wheel officials, so that Mr. George isn't missed (assuming, for the sake of argument, that he is clean and sober).

Something obvious that has bothered me over the years: why do these idiots try so hard to screw up perfectly good sports?

Ankf00
01-29-05, 10:48 PM
aw, the schumi bufu crew is getting their panties in a wad over the reality of things, that's cute corkie ;)

and lemme guess, the move on JV was unintentional b/c there was no proof all these years, until he admitted it last year?

oddlycalm
01-30-05, 05:10 PM
why do these idiots try so hard to screw up perfectly good sports? Because nobody will let them screw up anything more important....?

Anyone that has ever been a member of even the smallest and most humble organization has seen what happens to some people when they are put in charge. I've watched meek little workaday nobodies become nasty little tyrants seemingly overhight.

So, imagine what a wealthy guy with an expensive education and a lot of powerful contacts who is bored, frustrated and bitter with his personal life is going to be like. Oh wait, I just discribed 90% of the worlds politicians as well as business and sport organization leaders. :(

oc

rabbit
01-31-05, 05:56 PM
Wow. A thread with the sole intent of bashing another in a series of idiotic moves by a man determined to destroy a sport with a grand history morphs into a thread bashing a man with near-deistic status.

God bless the internet. :shakehead