PDA

View Full Version : At least they got a decent TV package

rabbit
01-25-05, 08:30 PM
For the first time since 1994 I will not be attending a race this season. :cry: A combination of the ever-changing schedule and some other obligations have made it highly unlikely that I will get to take in a Champ Car race.

The most Champ Car races I have attended in a season was four in 1999, when CART still showed up in Cleveland, Detroit, MIS and Mid-Ohio. But it's getting harder and harder to find races to go to. (I got a little spoiled, so sue me.)

Long Beach - nope, Monterrey - EIEI no, Milwaukee - Marco Polno, Portland - uuuuuhhh no, Cleveland - not this year :(, Toronto - Torontno, Edmonton - no ya hoser, San Jose - no way Jose, Denver - Carmelno Anthony, Montreal - Nontreal, Las Vegas - not a chance, Korea - Norea, Australia - yeah right, Mexico City - Mexino.

As it looks now, the only race I will be attending outside of my local tracks is the Indy 500, but I'm hoping to get out of it.

They keep saying that these major markets are the future for Champ Car. For the series' sake I hope so. But for my own selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind having another race or two closer to home. (And on dates when I don't have to be somewhere else.)

I'm calling Capital One.

And Tivo.

Railbird
01-25-05, 08:54 PM
Ah the old days.

Milwaukee , Michigan, Mid-Ohio, Elkhart Lake, Gateway, Cleveland, Chip's Clip, Belle Isle.

Great while it lasted.

FCYTravis
01-25-05, 09:20 PM
I did four in 2003... Laguna Seca, Portland, Road America and Mid-Ohio... partially because I think I saw the handwriting on the wall.

Two in 2004... Long Beach and Laguna Seca.

This year? Long Beach and San Jose for sure...

RTKar
01-25-05, 09:21 PM
Ah the old days.

Milwaukee , Michigan, Mid-Ohio, Elkhart Lake, Gateway, Cleveland, Chip's Clip, Belle Isle.

Great while it lasted.

At least there's many years of good memories and a closet full of video tapes.....you know, I'd be a BIG fan of a series with those 8 tracks..... :(

pfc_m_drake
01-25-05, 09:36 PM
For me it was Nazareth, Cleveland, Toronto, MIS, Mid-Ohio, and Fontana. Even went to Long Beach once. Toronto and Cleveland are still there...hopefully I'll get to one of those. It'd be nice to get back to the Beach...but I'm afraid it's not in the cards.

Railbird said it the best...that's why they call them "the good ole' days".

Sean O'Gorman
01-25-05, 10:53 PM
3 in '02, 2 in '03, 1 in '04, but perhaps 0 in '05. There is an SCCA ProSolo that weekend that I might enter instead.

Michaelhatesfans
01-26-05, 12:49 AM
With Portland spending a lot of time on the chopping block recently, I have empathy for those of you who have lost your local race. But I would add, you guys in the midwest had it pretty good for a long time having several races within a days drive - I hope that you made the best of it!

SteveH
01-26-05, 02:24 AM
With Portland spending a lot of time on the chopping block recently, I have empathy for those of you who have lost your local race. But I would add, you guys in the midwest had it pretty good for a long time having several races within a days drive - I hope that you made the best of it!

Yes we did have it good. I've attended the following 'lost' races: MidOhio, Road America, Gateway, Chicago and of course Indy. Now we are reduced to Cleveland and Milwaukee. I'm hoping to attend both. CART had such a strong midwest fan base it just boggles my mind that they are willing to let those fans seek other series to follow.

dirtyboy
01-26-05, 02:57 AM
Yes we did have it good. I've attended the following 'lost' races: MidOhio, Road America, Gateway, Chicago and of course Indy. Now we are reduced to Cleveland and Milwaukee. I'm hoping to attend both. CART had such a strong midwest fan base it just boggles my mind that they are willing to let those fans seek other series to follow.

That is true, however I work in marketing and the last thing anyone in my office thinks is ‘We’ve got to have a strong Midwest fan base.’

jcollins28
01-26-05, 02:58 AM
I hear you Rabbit. The most I have made it to in a year was Long Beach, Fontana, Seca, and Vancouver. This year I hope to make it to Long Beach, San Jose and Vegas.

JohnnyQ
01-26-05, 07:53 AM

It could be worse? How about living in the Northeast.....Nazareth and the Meadowlands. Both gone. :shakehead

sadams
01-26-05, 08:06 AM
It could be worse? How about living in the Northeast.....Nazareth and the Meadowlands. Both gone. :shakehead
You forget New Hampshire. But you're right we don't have much up here at all.

Dr. Corkski
01-26-05, 09:08 AM
...4 (LB, Toronto, RA, Fontucky) in 02, 2 (LB, Laguna) in 03, 2 (LB, Laguna) in 04, and 1 (Portland or LB) in 05 is still a longshot as of right now. If neither of those work out I might go to check out Moto GP at Laguna in July instead.

Andrew Longman
01-26-05, 10:03 AM

I did Nazareth for years. I went to MIS in the late seventies when I was in school out there. And I went to Trenton and Pocono in the old days as a kid. When I got older and richer I went back to MIS the last few years there. Switched to Toronto, Cleveland and RA the last few years, but all are a haul from Jersey.

Hoping for Cleveland, Toronto and maybe Montreal (for either Champcar or F1) this year.

Skater_36
01-26-05, 11:58 AM
I did Nazareth for years. I went to MIS in the late seventies when I was in school out there. And I went to Trenton and Pocono in the old days as a kid. When I got older and richer I went back to MIS the last few years there. Switched to Toronto, Cleveland and RA the last few years, but all are a haul from Jersey.

Hoping for Cleveland, Toronto and maybe Montreal (for either Champcar or F1) this year.

I went to one of the last races at Trenton, I think Foyt won. Nazareth was ok but the weather could be a factor there. I have been rained out and even snowed out there. Can't go wrong with Cleveland or Toronto. If you get the chance check out Montreal, I've always enjoyed the races there.

Racing Truth
01-26-05, 02:59 PM
For the first time since 1994 I will not be attending a race this season. :cry: A combination of the ever-changing schedule and some other obligations have made it highly unlikely that I will get to take in a Champ Car race.

The most Champ Car races I have attended in a season was four in 1999, when CART still showed up in Cleveland, Detroit, MIS and Mid-Ohio. But it's getting harder and harder to find races to go to. (I got a little spoiled, so sue me.)

Long Beach - nope, Monterrey - EIEI no, Milwaukee - Marco Polno, Portland - uuuuuhhh no, Cleveland - not this year :(, Toronto - Torontno, Edmonton - no ya hoser, San Jose - no way Jose, Denver - Carmelno Anthony, Montreal - Nontreal, Las Vegas - not a chance, Korea - Norea, Australia - yeah right, Mexico City - Mexino.

As it looks now, the only race I will be attending outside of my local tracks is the Indy 500, but I'm hoping to get out of it.

They keep saying that these major markets are the future for Champ Car. For the series' sake I hope so. But for my own selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind having another race or two closer to home. (And on dates when I don't have to be somewhere else.)

I'm calling Capital One.

And Tivo.

Sucks, to be sure, but that was a very creative way of saying it.

NUNCA!!!!! :laugh:

I'll be at Burke again this yr. :thumbup:

RTKar
01-26-05, 09:59 PM

Hell...follow other interests all together. People have so many other entertainment opportunities these days.

sundaydriver2
01-26-05, 10:17 PM
This new TV package is pretty good. I'm hoping that next year it will be announced much earlier.

Booked my tickets for Vegas yesterday so that race is a definate. Will also go to Milwaukee and RA if it goes off. If RA is a no show, I'll be trying to get to Cleveland.

Three races a year is the minimum! :cool: