PDA

View Full Version : Good press

Peter Venkman
01-25-05, 02:29 PM
Some good press on Champ Cars:

http://www.machinedesign.com/ASP/viewSelectedArticle.asp?strArticleId=55921&strSite=MDSite&Screen=CURRENTISSUE

Jag_Warrior
01-25-05, 02:47 PM
Though a little dated, that's a great article. Thanks!

CART is considering changing its engine program from a V8 to V10 as early as 2005. However, Ford and Cosworth are pushing to keep the current program. According to Ian Bisco, vice president of Cosworth Racing Inc., an engine redesign would have to begin this July, complete with funding from manufacturers and major OEMs. "I think CART should concentrate on building the Series up a bit, and then more manufacturers will come on board," he says. Also, with a new engine comes a new chassis, new equipment, etc., all adding extra costs to teams.

"Previously, manufacturers were working on the dynos every week to gain an advantage and, if you found a 5-hp advantage, the manufacturer would give that engine to his lead driver for the week," says Bisco. "That creates the haves and have nots. The drivers have been very vocal this year on how they like having the same engine because it's eliminated all that," he adds.

As more manufacturers are looking at turbocharging their road cars (even Ferrari), I still think there is marketing potential there. It's something more people can relate to, compared to V10's. Plus, I'm really anxious to see what Kalkhoven does to market the Cosworth brand in North America.

Mike Kellner
01-26-05, 10:42 AM
I think that little box of info on the new motor is no longer valid. Ford doesn't even own Cosworth anymore. It does seem a bit late to have a new engine formula for 05.

The rest of the article is great. It does show how changing from an engine war to an appliance motor saves a lot of money, with no cut in actual performance. I don't know if that could be maintained were the car companies to begin supplying competing motors again. Given the low cost of engine programs under this system, it is hard to see what actual advantage car company involvement would bring to the series. The biggest teams would save a little on motors, but the back of the field would face increased costs, and because they would have less chance to win, would have a harder time finding sponsors. Personally, I am in no hurry top get car companies involved. I'd rather get the big fast food, soft drink, snack food, and beer companies involved. With a more level playing field, the series might be more attractive to them.

mk

cart7
01-26-05, 11:24 AM
It also proves that a turbo charged engine doesn't have to be expensive.

Good stuff in there though it's a little dated. :thumbup: