PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Carson dead

trish
01-23-05, 02:56 PM
Reporting on NBC now.

RIP. :( THe Tonight SHow with Johnny was my grandpa's favorite.

fourrunner
01-23-05, 03:07 PM
Johnny was alway Topical with his humor ... If he hadn't retired, I'm sure his monologues would still be hip!

There were reports this week that he was writing jokes under the radar for David Letterman !

RIP Johnny

nrc
01-23-05, 03:23 PM
Carson was a class act in every sense of the word. The way he stepped completely out of the limelight when he was ready to quit should be an example for everyone who complains about the trials and tribulations of stardom.

Rest in peace, Johnny.

dando
01-23-05, 04:47 PM
Carson was a class act in every sense of the word. The way he stepped completely out of the limelight when he was ready to quit should be an example for everyone who complains about the trials and tribulations of stardom.

Rest in peace, Johnny.
Ditto.

-Kevin

JoeBob
01-23-05, 05:39 PM

Rest in peace, Johnny.

You posted almost exactly what I was going to post. RIP Johnny.

lone_groover
01-23-05, 07:07 PM
I'd surely be a little taller than I am if I hadn't stayed up late so many nights as a kid to watch Johnny. I'm glad I did.

cart7
01-23-05, 09:42 PM
Wow! I'm speechless. Didn't know he was having any health problems. :(

murph
01-23-05, 09:45 PM
Cought me by surprise...... rest in peace

racer2c
01-23-05, 11:35 PM
I'd surely be a little taller than I am if I hadn't stayed up late so many nights as a kid to watch Johnny. I'm glad I did.
I can relate. Sitting on the floor at my parents feet, thrilled that mom and dad had allowed me to stay up and watch Johnny. Laughing hysterically when Johnny sometimes couldn't find the entrance to those yellow and blue curtains. Rolling around on the floor in tears laughing at Carnac jokes that I hadn't a clue what they meant at 7 years of age, but mom and dad's laughter and Johnny's facial expressions, I just knew it was funny. I remember Tiny Tim, Gary Shandling, Robin Williams, Joan, Letterman and those wonderful animal segments. I grew up watching Johnny and bid him a fond farewell.

mexican
01-24-05, 12:05 AM
just like trish, my grandpa weaned me with the tonight show.

ironically, since I haven't hooked up cable at my new place, my best friend lent me some tapes of "johnny carson, his favorite moments from the tonight show" last week.

I watched them and split my sides like not a day had gone by. we will always remember you Juanito.

Hard Driver
01-24-05, 01:35 AM
Johnny was a classic and a class act.

oddlycalm
01-24-05, 05:15 PM
Like all true masters, he made it look easy. I rarely missed him on "The Johnny Carson Show" or "Who Do You Trust?", and if we had PVR's back in the day, I'm sure I would have probably seen every "Tonight" show as well. Adios Johnny...

oc

CART License
01-24-05, 08:08 PM
http://marshallcanyon.com/images/johnny032405.jpg Thank's Johnny.

Methanolandbrats
01-24-05, 09:54 PM
http://marshallcanyon.com/images/johnny032405.jpg Thank's Johnny. Does this mean he won't do anymore stand up routines? :D And **** off.......he would have liked that joke. RIP

L1P1
01-24-05, 10:11 PM
After him being there virtually every night for 30-odd years, it's strange to think that in the time between his retirement and his death, Leno got the job and has already announced his retirement and successor.

chop456
01-25-05, 02:43 AM
Leno got the job and has already announced his retirement...

Thank God for that.

tllips
01-25-05, 09:26 AM
After him being there virtually every night for 30-odd years, it's strange to think that in the time between his retirement and his death, Leno got the job and has already announced his retirement and successor.

Who is Leno's successor? Conan? (I personally can't stand Jay, so I'm not up on what's going on with his show)

I watched last night since Dave was a rerun and I thought the beginning of his interview with Newhart/Rickles was awkward at best.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-25-05, 10:28 AM
Thank God for that.Well I for one like Jay better than Letterman.

Sean O'Gorman
01-25-05, 11:09 AM
Who is Leno's successor? Conan? (I personally can't stand Jay, so I'm not up on what's going on with his show)

I watched last night since Dave was a rerun and I thought the beginning of his interview with Newhart/Rickles was awkward at best.

Conan is taking over the show in '07 or '09 or something like that. :thumbup:

nrc
01-25-05, 12:51 PM
One scary puppet-face taking over from another. :saywhat:

chop456
01-25-05, 07:49 PM
Well I for one like Jay better than Letterman.

You're right. That's one. :D

Jeebus, man! How old are you?

rabbit
01-25-05, 08:04 PM
Letterman should have got the Tonight Show after Johnny. It says a lot that in his later years Carson would send him material and not Leno...

JoeBob
01-25-05, 08:37 PM
Apparently, Letterman had too much respect for Carson to ask for the job.

As for the stories about Carson sending Letterman jokes, not that it isn't true, but that story was spready last week to take the media's attention away from rumors that his health was failing. :(

trish
01-25-05, 09:00 PM
Letterman should have got the Tonight Show after Johnny. It says a lot that in his later years Carson would send him material and not Leno...
I believe Carson made a point of showing up on the Letterman show...after it was taken to CBS. Everyone knew that he wanted Letterman to take his place but NBC had other plans.

indyfan31
01-25-05, 09:04 PM
As for the stories about Carson sending Letterman jokes, not that it isn't true, but that story was spready last week to take the media's attention away from rumors that his health was failing. :(

That doesn't make sense. If that were true, why would they release these "stories"? He was already out of the spotlight, these articles just put him in the public's radar again.

JoeBob
01-25-05, 09:33 PM
It was a way to keep his failing health out of the media until he was gone. Rather than have, "Johnny Carson near death" stories, there were "Johnny Carson sends jokes to Letterman" stories. They were probably hoping he'd recover, and nobody would ever know he was so ill.

edit: here's a story from last week on what was said. It gives more context: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/18/entertainment/main667673.shtml

trish
01-25-05, 10:16 PM
It was a way to keep his failing health out of the media until he was gone. Rather than have, "Johnny Carson near death" stories, there were "Johnny Carson sends jokes to Letterman" stories. They were probably hoping he'd recover, and nobody would ever know he was so ill.

edit: here's a story from last week on what was said. It gives more context: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/18/entertainment/main667673.shtml
The weekend before Johnny died, I watched a 60 minutes interview he did with Mike Wallace many years ago. I wondered if he had died. I didn't see anything on the news, but that is the first thing that came to my mind. Then he dies this past Sunday. Somebody knew something.

dando
01-25-05, 10:58 PM

There was a mention about this disinformation during yesterday's memorials about Johnny. It may have been Ed McMahon on O'Reilly that alluded it. Obviously it wasn't brought up on The Tonight Show w/Leno. :gomer:

-Kevin

indyfan31
01-26-05, 11:17 AM
Letterman on Monday night was a rerun, did he do or say anything last night? I forgot to tape it.

tllips
01-26-05, 11:40 AM
Letterman on Monday night was a rerun, did he do or say anything last night? I forgot to tape it.

Dave is in re-runs this whole week. He will be back Monday and will most likely do something special.