PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari stay in F1... GPWC dead

Dirty Sanchez
01-19-05, 10:46 AM
FIA, FOM and Ferrari reach an agreement
Wed 19 Jan, 2:38 PM

Further to discussions regarding the long term development of the FIA Formula One World Championship, the FIA, Formula One Management and Ferrari have agreed to prolong the Concorde Agreement for the period 2008 to 2012.

The FIA, Formula One Management and Ferrari issued the following statements: Max Mosley, FIA President said, “We are very pleased to have reached this agreement with Formula One’s commercial rights holder and the oldest team in the Championship. The agreement is significant because it will ensure the future development of the FIA’s most important Championship.”

Bernie Ecclestone, FOM President said, “Formula One Management are delighted that this agreement is in place and that the future of Formula One has now been stabilised.”

Luca di Montezemolo, President and CEO of Ferrari said, “It is important and also pleasing that the FIA, which is the governing body and FOM, which represents those who have organised Formula One in these past years and Ferrari, which is the only team to have taken part in the World Championship, without a break, since its inception, have put out a strong message of stability for the future of Formula One. This agreement is in line with what Ferrari had hoped for, for a long time.”

Methanolandbrats
01-19-05, 10:51 AM
:thumbup:

The Doctor
01-19-05, 01:32 PM
Great that F1 will remain together. Unfortunate that Ferrari again forces their agenda over the greater interest of the health of the sport. More money, yes. More money for Ferrari, yes. Enough money to pad the coffers of the other teams? Entice new teams? Questionable. For sure, though -- Ferrari remains in control of F1. Competition will hopefully come from those who can design a superior car without going bankrupt.

Methanolandbrats
01-19-05, 01:50 PM
Toyota has plenty of money and they suck. Ferrari has not been successful the last few years just because of money. The drivers and team make them successful in the same way that McLaren and Williams had their runs prior to the current Ferrari run. In the next couple years some other team will rise to the top. That's the ebb and flow of F1 and why it's the antithesis of crappy, managed racing with it's constant side by side action and meaningless passing. Often it takes a few years to overtake in F1.

Andrew Longman
01-19-05, 02:05 PM
I need an education. I guess I never really understood the Concorde agreement.

Why is it that Ferrari has such influence on the running and rules of the sport? The heritage they bring? What about McClaren? Their history goes back about 40 years now. When does that count for something? Mercedes raced back in the "glory days". Why not pay Lotus or Cooper to come back?

Why does Minardi and other teams actually pay Ferrari to play? That would be as if Steinbrenner wrote the rules for baseball. Say what you will about his spending, but wanker teams got together an imposed a payroll tax that puts his money in the pockets of owners in St Pete and Pittburgh who are under no obligation to spend it on salaries. How is it that the complete and total opposite is possible in F1?

jonovision_man
01-20-05, 05:30 PM
I need an education. I guess I never really understood the Concorde agreement.

Why is it that Ferrari has such influence on the running and rules of the sport? The heritage they bring? What about McClaren? Their history goes back about 40 years now. When does that count for something? Mercedes raced back in the "glory days". Why not pay Lotus or Cooper to come back?

Why does Minardi and other teams actually pay Ferrari to play? That would be as if Steinbrenner wrote the rules for baseball. Say what you will about his spending, but wanker teams got together an imposed a payroll tax that puts his money in the pockets of owners in St Pete and Pittburgh who are under no obligation to spend it on salaries. How is it that the complete and total opposite is possible in F1?

This should go a little way to explaining things: (from AtlasF1)
"Traditionally Concorde Agreements are always signed first by Ferrari, myself and the FIA," Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport. "The other constructors didn't know about it, but I'm contacting them. They'll understand the advantages are undeniable.

Bernie looks at the crowds and sees at least half of the people wearing red at almost every race. The rest of the teams have history, no doubt, but no team in F1 is as loved as Ferarri.

Maybe F1 could learn something from baseball, get some parity into the sport. It's getting a bit out of hand, with Ferrari laying the boots to the rest of the field year after year.

On the other hand, you can't argue with success... Bernie's a billionaire, he knows a thing or two. :)

jono

Railbird
01-20-05, 07:42 PM
The fact is no one was bichin' when Ferrari had three wheels in their pit awaitng a stop, no one was worried when their autotrannies blew up and no one whined when their flat twelve kept them out of the downforce deal.

But they were still THE F1 team.

This recent domination is just that, recent.

enjoy

Methanolandbrats
01-20-05, 11:07 PM
The fact is no one was bichin' when Ferrari had three wheels in their pit awaitng a stop, no one was worried when their autotrannies blew up and no one whined when their flat twelve kept them out of the downforce deal.

But they were still THE F1 team.

This recent domination is just that, recent.

enjoy :thumbup: