PDA

View Full Version : Cars That Drift w/ Those That Don't

racer2c
01-18-05, 11:35 PM
Maybe they'll give out free Xbox's and Sum 41 Cd's. Hey, I'm all for getting the youth movement involved with Champ Car, but drifting? Whatever. If it sells more tickets, then I'm all for it. But then again, all female pit crews in bikinis would sell more. :shakehead

“I believe this will be an exciting new addition to our race weekend that will not only be the first-ever full-course Drifting competition, but will also attract a whole new audience to our event,” said Jim Michaelian, president/CEO of the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach. “And, it will also legitimize what some of us have been secretly doing on these downtown Long Beach streets for many years!” :gomer:

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/14765/)

Sean O'Gorman
01-18-05, 11:37 PM
**** DRIFTING.

We don't need that "sport" stealing more fans. And trust me, drifting is more likely to gain fans from the Champ Car base than Champ Car gaining drift fans, unfortunately.

The entire road racing community should unite to crush this garbage before it gets any more popular.

racer2c
01-18-05, 11:39 PM
**** DRIFTING.

We don't need that "sport" stealing more fans. And trust me, drifting is more likely to gain fans from the Champ Car base than Champ Car gaining drift fans, unfortunately.

The entire road racing community should unite to crush this garbage before it gets any more popular.

:thumbup:

nrc
01-19-05, 12:15 AM
**** DRIFTING.

How can you say that about a participant driven form of motorsports? You're just jealous because your pants go all moist if you have to crank in a couple of degrees of opposite lock. :p

Dr. Corkski
01-19-05, 01:22 AM
The sport, which originated in the mountains of Japan, is the art of controlling a car sliding sideways and as close to out-of-control as possible, with drivers judged on style and showmanship, rather than speed.So in other words, figure skating or gymnastics on wheels.

If you want to watch real racers drifting instead of a bunch of wankstas, go watch rallying.

jcollins28
01-19-05, 03:08 AM
**** DRIFTING.

I agree this is wacked! I can't believe Long Beach is supporting this junk. Wasnt it just last year at the Long Beach Convention Center were some kids were stabbed at a drifting event?

chop456
01-19-05, 03:38 AM
**** DRIFTING.

You're just bitter because you're a solo act since the Stuntaz' kicked you to the curb. Playaz' who live in glass hizzies shouldn't cast stuff or things.

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Icy_Hot_Stuntaz/images/lg-316248.jpg

While these kiddies aren't the type I'd want pumpin' bass through my neighborhood, if they want to show up and buy a ticket, that's their business. Maybe you'd prefer a Hootie and the Blowfish show? :p

This is probably something that will be unique to the LBGP, as this nonsense seems to be most popular there. I couldn't care less, honestly.

Railbird
01-19-05, 06:42 AM
Sell a few tickets, give me time slot to hit the beer line, maybe bring in a few scantily clad hotties.

what's to beeatch about?

Robstar
01-19-05, 07:26 AM
I'm gonna side with 'bird here...

I took 6 & half CCWS virgins to Surfers in '04 (the half was my better half :D )

Thursday, no ChampCar but heaps of V8's... & The Drift demo - The boys loved the drift, as did I, to a degree...

I mentioned that a 2.65ltr turb's will s__t on the drift wankers...

AS SOON as the CCws boys came out, There was 6 & 3/4 new fans... :cool:

I think drift has it's place, only because 'modding' quick 4's is soooo popular... I think the LBGP has the right idea... :)

Methanolandbrats
01-19-05, 07:27 AM
Drifting has as much to with motorsport as the NBA has to do with basketball...nothing. A further attempt by Champcar to distance itself from real racing and become an event promoter. Maybe if they add a few ****ty bands and a dwarf toss they can draw another 50k.

Robstar
01-19-05, 07:33 AM
Understood, but what if as we are led to beleive, street races are the only way the Boss' can keep the series alive...
Respect for more bums on seats... :D

Jervis Tetch 1
01-19-05, 08:28 AM
I'm too much of a racing purist to enjoy something like this, but I suppose if it brings more fans to watch Champ Car action in addition to that than so be it.

Just don't expect me to be watching. That's when I'll be using the restroom, getting my popcorn, go girl watching, etc.

Methanolandbrats
01-19-05, 10:18 AM
I'm too much of a racing purist to enjoy something like this, but I suppose if it brings more fans to watch Champ Car action in addition to that than so be it.

Just don't expect me to be watching. That's when I'll be using the restroom, getting my popcorn, go girl watching, etc. Ya, but will those "fans" follow the series, travel to other races, watch the series on TV, buy gear, bring their friends next time and become life long fans of road racing or are they just at a local event? I don't know. Perhaps they are the future and have to be won over. I did see a small group of twenty year olds with baggy pants, bolts through their noses and hats on backwards at RA last year who were obviously at their first Champcar Race. They stood by the turn in point for 13a and they were amazed. They kept talking about the "turbo" sound. "Listen to that man", "holy ****" and "look at how fast they come up that hill" was all they talked about. I guess it's possible this is a good idea and will hook people.

Clown
01-19-05, 11:03 AM
Its called on-track entertainment. Remember Vegas? People got bored, they
left...

Btw: You're all morons :rolleyes:

Dirty Sanchez
01-19-05, 11:09 AM
clown almost didn't go to surfer's this year cause he couldn't squirrel away a couple hundred bucks in 12 months.

you were saying something about morons? :gomer: :D

drifting is gay... legitimizing it as part of your support program is gay. long beach hasn't needed gimmicks for the past 30+ years to draw biggie crowds. no need to start now, imo. but then again, I guess if you can only show them the same 18 tired looking cars year in and year out... you gotta start thinking about alternatives.

cart7
01-19-05, 11:12 AM
Take off the wings and we'll have Champ cars drifting all over the place. ;)

Methanolandbrats
01-19-05, 11:14 AM
Its called on-track entertainment. Remember Vegas? People got bored, they
left...

Btw: You're all morons :rolleyes: The people who left Vegas were inbred NAPCAB oval fans. The potential for flaming carnage is all that keeps them in their seats. And you're an upside down moron :D

racer2c
01-19-05, 11:14 AM
I love watching 14 year old Nissan 240's drift! :gomer:

KLang
01-19-05, 11:41 AM
long beach hasn't needed gimmicks for the past 30+ years to draw biggie crowds. no need to start now, imo.

Seems to me the celebrity races served the same purpose.

I fail to see how this drifting thing reflects badly on the event or ChampCar.

Redwing
01-19-05, 12:00 PM
Brand dilution=death. What about something for us 'hardliners' who
never left, the True Believers?

Drifting :thumdown:

Ferdman
01-19-05, 12:53 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the drifting event this year at Long Beach. I'm hoping to see a lot of bent sheet metal. :D I don't believe these drifters often, if at all, do their events in concrete canyons. Usually they're on infields with traffic cones to mark their course rather than concrete barriers. Well there may be concrete barriers, but not on both sides like at Long Beach.

I don't get this drifting thing otherwise. Racers know that when you're sliding, you're losing time. Rally racers drift because they're on dirt and gravel. Drifters are on paved tarmac. I guess it's not racing, but more of a show. The only redeeming value is that there tend to be a lot of bimbos at their events and if they bring more to Long Beach, I'm OK with that. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
01-19-05, 01:09 PM
How can you say that about a participant driven form of motorsports? You're just jealous because your pants go all moist if you have to crank in a couple of degrees of opposite lock. :p

Drifting isn't participant driven, those guys are being paid to be out there.

I have no problem with drifting from a participant standpoint. Hell, I find it fun to get my car sideways when autocrossing, and then reel it back in. However, it isn't racing, and it isn't that hard either. What I do have a problem with is how these drift events can pull 20,000 people in at places where SCCA, Grand-Am, ALMS might only draw a few hundred or a few thousand.

The drifting community knows how to promote; they've made a connection with the fans. Someone can go to a drift event and know "hey, I can do that!" with relatively little ease. Go to a road race of any level, and the dollar signs scare you away.

Having drifting at Champ Car events (or any road race) has the potential to damage the series' appeal. Say you bring a prospective sponsor to a race, and he notices that the fans show relatively little excitement when the Champ Cars are on track, and are generally unfamiliar with the drivers and sponsors involved. Don't deny it, it is true. Now, imagine that same sponsor notices that when the drifters go on track there are lots of young kids with deep pockets going crazy about what is on track, and they know who all the drivers, cars, and sponsors are. How do you think that sponsor is going to feel? Think about it.

racer2c
01-19-05, 01:09 PM
I like doing donuts in the snow. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-19-05, 01:15 PM
Wow, I'm surprised by the threat people see in this. Pretty strong reaction.

Until last year I had no clue what drifting is and still don't care about it, but this isn't really any different than having a concert, or airshow, or bikini contest at a race. Those don't dilute the brand do they? No one is really going to confuse this with racing are they?

Its what southern Californians like so give 'em what they like. Butts in seat = happy sponsors = more money = more/better teams = more/better drivers and cars = better racing.

G.
01-19-05, 02:04 PM
Take off the wings and we'll have Champ cars drifting all over the place. ;)Didn't Dixon try that at RA a couple of years back? Eight pitstops to fix it, ended up in fourth, I think. Said it was scary-fast on the straights. :laugh:

I'm in the butts-in-the-seats crowd.

As for the purists, there just ain't enough of us around to matter.

I am willing to entertain you (y'all?) changing my mind on this when you start saying that the Miss Indy pageant dilutes the racing. When you're that convicted, I'll listen. No fair if you're a woman or lead an alternate lifestyle. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
01-19-05, 06:53 PM
As for the purists, there just ain't enough of us around to matter.

Shouldn't the goal then be to make more purists?

Methanolandbrats
01-19-05, 07:02 PM
Shouldn't the goal then be to make more purists?I think so if that means people who are fans of high-tech road racing. People who will travel to a proper racing circuit and perhaps actually sit in silence for a few hours without being "entertained" by bull****. People willing to walk a mile, or horror of horrors encounter rain or wind without having a cafe or bar 50 feet away to run into. Maybe there are'nt enough of those people left because younger people are too lazy and have attention spans which are too short. If that's true, street parade sideshows will be a successful model. Sort of like a Monaco for Peasants on every continent.

Sean O'Gorman
01-19-05, 07:30 PM
Maybe there are'nt enough of those people left because younger people are too lazy and have attention spans which are too short.

Don't look at me, your generation raised us. :gomer: :D

Railbird
01-19-05, 08:35 PM
I've got just the ride for the purists among us.

http://www.truthminers.com/truth/misc-peabody.jpg http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2003/2003-06-04-maney.jpg

Mr Peabody and Sherman may be able to help you out but they ain't fightin' for butts in the seats and press in an all-too-hip market.

This is an event that in the past has been heavily promoted on the possibility of seeing Captain Kirk and Queen Latifah drafting past Donny Osmond aboard Celica GTs.

Not exactly Fangio tracking down Collins and Hawthorn at the 'ring

nrc
01-19-05, 08:47 PM
Next stop: Pro Celebrity drifting.

Clown
01-19-05, 10:05 PM
clown almost didn't go to surfer's this year cause he couldn't squirrel away a couple hundred bucks in 12 months.

you were saying something about morons? :gomer: :DThe reason I almost couldn't afford to go to Surfers was I spent $1400 3 weeks before, which cleaned me out, and its a bit hard to find $200 in 3 weeks when you have no income.

BTW: I thought you said you were being an ******* to people because you were not happy with your life, and you were going to try to be nicer..... :gomer: :rolleyes:

racer2c
01-19-05, 10:15 PM
Next stop: Pro Celebrity drifting.
:rofl: :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
01-19-05, 11:06 PM
Seems to me the celebrity races served the same purpose.

I fail to see how this drifting thing reflects badly on the event or ChampCar.It reflects badly on Champ Car when more people care about Zack Morris in a Celica than Champ Car qualifying.

jcollins28
01-19-05, 11:12 PM
All one has to do is go sit at the hairpin leading on to Shoreline. That is all the "drifting" I need to see.

Sean O'Gorman
01-19-05, 11:22 PM
I find that hitting drift fans upside the head with my oversized 80s cell phone works well. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-20-05, 12:22 AM
Don't look at me, your generation raised us. :gomer: :DI'm not talking about you. From your posts it's clear you have some ambition and are fairly intelligent :D ;)

G.
01-20-05, 02:32 PM
Shouldn't the goal then be to make more purists?Mr. Baggypants With the Spike Through His Eyebrow: "Yo, yo, yo, G., what up, Dog? Man, these bizzle cars are phat an all, but whys don't they be slidin tru the corners like my homies in the early show?"

G.: "Well, Bwisthe, the quickest way through the corner is to have as much power applied to the ground as possible without letting the tires break free and spinning. Spinning just slows the car down. That's what the Ladder system teaches the drivers, how to run the car on that knife edge between max power and sliding. It's a matter of balancing downforce, which helps in the corners, to straight line speed. That's what the wings are for, and why they do nothing on your front-wheel-drive Celica."

Bwisthe: "I didn't know that. Golly, I guess I will take that physics class in school instead of the studyhall. Thanks, Mr G.!"

G.: "You quite welcome, Bwisthe, and remember: stay in school and just say no!"

Bwisthe: "You betcha!"

G.: "See you at the race next year?"

Bwisthe: "You betcha!"

(Bwisthe then proceeded to rob G. at knifepoint.)

Moral of the story? If he isn't there, he cannot wonder what make the cars so cool. Also, never name a kid Bwisthe.

Winston Wolfe
01-20-05, 03:52 PM
Understood, but what if as we are led to beleive, street races are the only way the Boss' can keep the series alive...
Respect for more bums on seats... :D

Rob gets it. :thumbup:

These guys PAY Champcar a fee so that cars will race there.
It is a HUGE boon for the city to have all of the people, hotel rooms, parking, concessions, etc.... if the weather is nice, people might even think LB is a nice place to live !
Last year, the Champcar LBGP almost never happened.
Remember ?

If the promoters want to put on a show to gain more ticket sales, get more butts in the seats, cross promote, and all that other shat that helps them put money to the bottom line, then what the heck should a bunch of internet keyboard jockeys care if this helps them recoup some cash-ish ?
Is it racing ? Hell no.
Is it entertaining like the Celebrity race, or the Vintage cars that run around the track ? Yup.
Will it bring some new \ younger "yo, whut up, G.?" type of kids to the event? Yes.
It aint gonna steal all of the champcar fans away, and it certainly isnt going to stop the CCWS race from happening. If anything else, it makes it more likely that the promoter makes enough money on the event, so that when the contract is up, they can look at the attendance figures, and think "The .1RL will never draw this many fans, so no matter how many "other things" we come up with for the weekend, we'll never match what Champcar \ CART \OWRS did for us for all of those years", and they'll renew the contract.

Like I said, think back 365 days and also to a few days before the LBGP, when ra-hole and fernan-deth got the yen injection and bailed, trying to seal the death blow to CART..... it wasnt that long ago, kids.

I'm not a huge fan of "drift-o", but I saw it at the JGTC thang out in Fontucky in December, and it'll keep you laughing for 15 minutes, especially when these kamikazes start bouncing their rwd Corollas and Silvia 240sx off of the concrete canyon and the whole thing gets yellow flagged !!! :D

Rob gets it. Let 'em play, and make 'em pay ! :D

Jag_Warrior
01-24-05, 11:43 PM
It reflects badly on Champ Car when more people care about Zack Morris in a Celica than Champ Car qualifying.

I agree, but whose fault is that?

JohnHKart
01-25-05, 05:46 AM
Somebody on my street last night tried some drifting on the sharp left hander conveniently placed at the bottom of a long hill....and a couple of wrecked cars were the result. Oh and the guy that did this took off. Should be easy to find him...lemme guess, he's driving a white or black honda with 900 dollar wheels, male hispanic, 18-24 years old, blasting rap sh** at 130 decibels. :)

I wasn't home of course so I missed all the fun, just another night here on stupid street.

John