PDA

View Full Version : Mario's phone call to Williams

RichK
01-18-05, 02:17 PM
Interesting tidbit on SpeedTV.com (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/14760/)

When Mario calls, people listen. At least, they should. After reading comments attributed to Frank Williams saying, in effect, now that the Champ Car World Series is a shadow of its former self, Sebastien Bourdais is an unknown quantity and therefore not a candidate for a test with Williams-BMW, Mario Andretti phoned Williams to “give him a piece of my mind.”

“He (Williams) said, ‘Let me ask you this: How would (Bourdais) stack up against (Juan Pablo) Montoya?’” said Andretti. “And I said, ‘All day. Anywhere. And as a matter of fact, I’m a Montoya fan. I think this guy (Bourdais) has got more smarts than Montoya. He’s got more control, more technical.

“‘Montoya is just flat out,’ I said, ‘and sometimes I don’t think he knows why. This guy is technical. You guys are missing the boat.’”

pchall
01-18-05, 02:20 PM
Sir [heh, heh... they knighted him] Frank will still go for the driver on the cheap. He will never listen or change.

Steve99
01-18-05, 03:57 PM
Interesting to hear the Mario still cares. He's been very quiet this past year. :thumbup:

JLMannin
01-18-05, 09:30 PM
Interesting to hear the Mario still cares. He's been very quiet this past year. :thumbup:

He probably just woke up from that recurring nightmare of being 30 feet in the air above the back stretch at Indy.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-19-05, 08:34 AM
He probably just woke up from that recurring nightmare of being 30 feet in the air above the back stretch at Indy. :laugh: :thumbup:

Steve99
01-19-05, 03:31 PM
He probably just woke up from that recurring nightmare of being 30 feet in the air above the back stretch at Indy.

Or the even worse nightmare that it could be his grandson in the car next time.

Fio1
01-21-05, 02:07 AM
Bourdais was the man when he won the French F3 championship, i think I've been telling you guys about him on seventhgear, 2-years before he got to champcars. What I don't understand is why Williams looks at champcars series not the driver himself; why not look at what he did in F3000 or F1 testing with Renault. But, I also rate Heidefeld very highly, so that's a hard one. If he picks Pizzonia over either of them, then Williams is nuts....