PDA

View Full Version : Bourdais To Compete In IROC?

JoeBob
01-18-05, 01:19 PM
According to Jayski:

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

hearing the following drivers will run the 2005 IROC Series:
Matt Kenseth - NASCAR Nextel Cup (2004 Crown Royal IROC champion)
Kurt Busch - NASCAR Nextel Cup (2004 Series champion)
Mark Martin - NASCAR Nextel Cup (4-time Crown Royal IROC champion)
Sebastien Bourdais - CHAMP CAR (2004 Series champion)
Bobby Hamilton NASCAR - Craftsman Truck (2004 Series champion)
Steve Kinser - World of Outlaws (2004 Series champion)
Max Papis - Grand American Road Racing (2004 Series co-champion)
Scott Pruett - Grand American Road Racing (2004 Series co-champion)
Martin Truex Jr. - NASCAR Busch Series (2004 Series champion)
Helio Castroneves - IRL IndyCar Series (2-time Indianapolis 500 champion)
Buddy Rice - IRL IndyCar Series (2004 Indianapolis 500 champion)
Danny Lasoski - World of Outlaws (2001 Series champion)(1-18-2005)

If true, this would be the first time in a number of years that a ChampCar driver competed in IROC. Is this another sign of a thaw between ChampCar and ISC (owners of IROC) or just the way the schedule works out?

devilmaster
01-18-05, 01:32 PM
According to Jayski:

Looks like they attempted to try and get every series champion from last year, cept 1.

Notably missing of course is Kanaan, guess winning the Indy 500 is more important than a measly IRL championship.

Steve

Ed_Severson
01-18-05, 01:35 PM
I'd rather he didn't. It's nothing but a NECKCAR sideshow anyhow. It's a farce, and I'd prefer that anybody involved with Champ Car point that out rather than choosing to be a part of the machine.

But, it's his ass. If he wants to risk it to promote hillbilly racin', it's his choice. I just hope he doesn't get his head knocked off his shoulders in the process.

pchall
01-18-05, 02:22 PM
Looks like they attempted to try and get every series champion from last year, cept 1.

Notably missing of course is Kanaan, guess winning the Indy 500 is more important than a measly IRL championship.

Steve

And that is exactly the way things are supposed to be in the Hulman/George universe.

JoeBob
01-18-05, 02:36 PM
It might also be because Kanaan's team is sponsored by Jim Beam, while IROC is sponsored by Crown Royal.

chop456
01-18-05, 02:58 PM
It might also be because Kanaan's team is sponsored by Jim Beam, while IROC is sponsored by Crown Royal.

That's a reach, even by my standards. ;)

Spicoli
01-18-05, 03:04 PM

:cry:

that's what they will tell Kanose.

devilmaster
01-18-05, 03:06 PM

On that thought though, Kenseth has been sponsored by Smirnoff these past few years, and I believe Busch will be now sponsored by them also.

Steve

The Doctor
01-18-05, 03:47 PM
On that thought though, Kenseth has been sponsored by Smirnoff these past few years, and I believe Busch will be now sponsored by them also.

Steve

All are owned by Diaego, IIRC.

racer2c
01-18-05, 03:50 PM
I think BiF drives an IROC.

devilmaster
01-18-05, 03:54 PM
All are owned by Diaego, IIRC.

Yer right, I'm an idiot.

I went looking at both Diageo's site and Crown Royal's Canadian site and did not see references to each other. But the American Crown Royal site mentions Diageo.

Steve

JohnnyQ
01-18-05, 06:54 PM
I don't think Kanaan can see over the dash? Not to mention leaving his girlfriend Wheldon....... :laugh:

theunions
01-18-05, 08:37 PM
Kanaan's boss has always been anti-IROC also, regardless of sponsorship, even in the days when it didn't suck as much as today.

Sean O'Gorman
01-18-05, 11:04 PM
Who cares, half that field will be running in the Rolex anyway.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-19-05, 08:32 AM
Hey at least I hope he and former Champ Car drivers Max and Scott can at least beat some of the NASCRAP competition. Why don't they have an openwheel IROC at some point? Then we'll see how many of those drivers come over and race. I think you'd get maybe ah, one if that.

Skater_36
01-19-05, 12:30 PM
Go back to IROC series roots, put them in Porsche's (or Corvettes, GTO's whatever) and throw in a few road courses. The current format is boring and predictable.

Spicoli
01-19-05, 12:34 PM
Go back to IROC series roots, put them in Porsche's (or Corvettes, GTO's whatever) and throw in a few road courses. The current format is boring and predictable.

That's NASCAR big fella! :gomer:

mueber
01-19-05, 01:08 PM
It's exposure for Champ Car. It's a good thing, especially if he does OK.

Skater_36
01-19-05, 04:04 PM
That's NASCAR big fella! :gomer:

Correction: That's todays NASCAR. Before the series was sterilized and repackaged it used to be real racing and real personalities. Now it's the racing equivilent of fast food, it's popular, and some people can live on it, but it contains a lot of filler and empty calories.