PDA

View Full Version : Holy Roller

chop456
01-18-05, 03:02 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40731000/jpg/_40731309_ferrari_afp300.jpg
BBC Photo

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1969045

Associated Press
VATICAN CITY -- Pope John Paul II was presented with a model racing car by the Ferrari team Monday.

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher and teammate Rubens Barrichello wore red ties -- the color of the powerful Formula One team -- during the special Vatican audience.

"My compliments to you for the victory in the recent world championship," the pope told them. "The Church considers sporting activity, practiced in full respect of the rules, a valid educational instrument for the younger generations."

The pope welcomed Ferrari's drivers, mechanics and executives and said the team owed its results to an "enthusiasm that comes from a community spirit."

"It was very special to see his force and personality," Schumacher said.

Ferrari gave the pope a model red racing car -- a miniature version of the car driven by Schumacher in the last championship.

"That car is different than the other one," papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls quoted the pope as saying after the audience, referring to the car in which the pontiff took a spin during a 1988 visit to Ferrari headquarters.

So many wisecracks, so little time... :gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
01-18-05, 03:50 AM
"My compliments to you for the victory in the recent world championship," the pope told them. "The Church considers sporting activity, practiced in full respect of the rules, a valid educational instrument for the younger generations," he said while being presented with a diecast complete with Marlboro markings.

Railbird
01-18-05, 06:24 AM
I figure old Popes got to be a little touchy on the subject of smoke.

mapguy
01-18-05, 06:27 AM

:rofl:

Andrew Longman
01-18-05, 12:58 PM
There was a time when Enzo would give the Pope an audience, not the other way around (literally).

I suppose Italians will get their priorities straight again. ;)

JoeBob
01-18-05, 01:06 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

chop456
01-18-05, 01:13 PM
Damn. That's funny.

Good stuff, 'bird. :D

racer2c
01-18-05, 01:41 PM
Fox News had this on their ticker this AM also.

pineapple
01-18-05, 02:19 PM
"The Church considers sporting activity, practiced in full respect of the rules, a valid educational instrument for the younger generations."

Did lightning strike St Peter's when he said that?

longbeach32
01-18-05, 10:40 PM
the new pope-mobile?

mexican
01-19-05, 01:10 AM

me nominates for crack of the year, and we haven't even reached February...