PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Buying the IRL ???????

fourrunner
01-16-05, 06:02 PM
AR1 is "Speculating" that MAYBE NASCAR and the Frances might buy the IRL ?

OR

That NASCAR & the IRL will go to a common Engine Formula ?

Not sure wether either one makes any sense ?

Methanolandbrats
01-16-05, 06:07 PM
AR1 is "Speculating" that MAYBE NASCAR and the Frances might buy the IRL ?

OR

That NASCAR & the IRL will go to a common Engine Formula ?

Not sure wether either one makes any sense ? Buy what? The sanctioning body, the cars.......that **** is all worthless.

Spicoli
01-16-05, 06:08 PM
The Vision has failed. :thumbup:

fourrunner
01-16-05, 06:11 PM
The Vision has failed. :thumbup:

There is NO other conclusion you can come to! :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-16-05, 06:28 PM
The Vision has failed. :thumbup:No it has'nt...Mr. George took his vision, built a racing series and then sold it, no failure there. ;)

RTKar
01-16-05, 06:33 PM
Albatross!

Rogue Leader
01-16-05, 07:00 PM
A funnier version of this would be.....

NASCAR(now that they are vaguely CC friendly) buys out the IRL and the rights to the Indy 500... proceeds to dissolve the IRL and sanctions Champ Car to run the Indy 500 as their showcase event. And TG couldnt do ****!

I would be a NASCAR fan for life if that happened.

Dave99
01-16-05, 07:01 PM
Tax write-offs! ;)

Maybe this move will allow NASCAR to bring back their Convertible Division. :p

Jag_Warrior
01-16-05, 09:52 PM
AR1... :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
01-16-05, 09:56 PM
Great, if Mark C. said it, now it'll never come true!

Railbird
01-16-05, 11:14 PM
The Grand Amming of the Indy 500.

Wally
01-17-05, 12:43 AM
Regardless, with Frances comments,the ride buying at the 24 hour and all the earl uncertainty something is in the air...................

stroker
01-17-05, 12:58 AM
A more interesting question to me is:

If you were Roger Penske, would a NASCAR purchase of the .1RL make you MORE or LESS inclined to stay?

nrc
01-17-05, 01:08 AM
If there's even a wiff of truth to either scenario I would guess that means that Tony's talks with the engine manufacturers didn't go well. :)

Spicoli
01-17-05, 01:34 AM
The Grand Amming of the Indy 500.

I'm starting to think you make sense.

Has Barnfart & Company figgered out how ta run em without fenders yet? I got a new Saws-All for Xmas, maybe i'll see if'n they wanna borry it.

:gomer:

nrc
01-17-05, 01:40 AM
I'm starting to think you make sense.

Has Barnfart & Company figgered out how ta run em without fenders yet? I got a new Saws-All for Xmas, maybe i'll see if'n they wanna borry it.

It's a brilliant concept. Just like NASCAR only cheaper because you don't have to buy the body work or the headlight stickers. And best of all, the engines would be up front where God intended!

Jag_Warrior
01-17-05, 09:10 AM
Apparently the people in Winston-Salem "read it there" first. Someone posted that his rumor was lifted from an article in the Winton-Salem Journal. It may be available online, but I'll try to get a copy at the airport.

Spicoli
01-17-05, 09:17 AM
It's a brilliant concept. Just like NASCAR only cheaper because you don't have to buy the body work or the headlight stickers. And best of all, the engines would be up front where God intended!

And A-J Sammich could send that pesky Chinese Engineer Fella packin!
:thumbup:

This appears to be "gaining traction" around certain websites.....IK will reserve jusgement until official postings from John howard and Jim Wilke. Those guys know stuff.

racer2c
01-17-05, 10:50 AM
Which is the lesser of two evils? Inept Tony or Evil Empire NASCAR?
If NASCAR is working on a deal to buy the IRL, it's for one reason only...the Brickyard 500 in May.
As for Penske and Ganassi "staying", what will they care, they're already in NASCAR.

pchall
01-17-05, 10:54 AM
Apparently the people in Winston-Salem "read it there" first. Someone posted that his rumor was lifted from an article in the Winton-Salem Journal. It may be available online, but I'll try to get a copy at the airport.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780242387&path=%21sports%21autoracing&s=1037645509202

MarkC lifted it from the Friday edition.

Methanolandbrats
01-17-05, 10:59 AM
If true, it's probably gonna be another support series sideshow during the NAPCAB weekend. Like dirt modifieds, only narrower, faster and better crashes. Makes perfect sense.

racer2c
01-17-05, 10:59 AM
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780242387&path=%21sports%21autoracing&s=1037645509202

MarkC lifted it from the Friday edition.

There's also a mention in the France Jr. article that there will be an announcment at Phoenix later this month. :confused:

Link (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780267137&path=!sports!autoracing&s=1037645509202)

racer2c
01-17-05, 11:04 AM
"The France family's ISC has a major interest in a viable IRL."

Why would NASCAR care if the IRL is 'viable'? Another step in killing Champ Car and the ALMS?

Methanolandbrats
01-17-05, 11:29 AM

Why would NASCAR care if the IRL is 'viable'? Another step in killing Champ Car and the ALMS? In the tradition of every company with monopolistic ambitions, they want to own everything with a motor and wheels.

Skater_36
01-17-05, 11:51 AM

Why would NASCAR care if the IRL is 'viable'? Another step in killing Champ Car and the ALMS?

If the IRL is viable then there will be more profit making races at ISC tracks. As far as the France's buying the IRL, what are they really buying? Not much, unless a piece of IMS goes with it.

Strange comments by France. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

JoeBob
01-17-05, 12:14 PM
ChampCar is beginning to look viable, thus ISC still needs the IRL.

dando
01-17-05, 01:40 PM
IMHO, this would hafta involve majority or outright control of IMS and FTG's other venues. That's they only way it makes cent$. Simply propping up the .1RL for dates @ ISC tracks just doesn't make cent$.

-Kevin

cart7
01-17-05, 02:31 PM
Nascar buys .1rl.

France family realizes no one really cares about the earl anymore than they care about GA and decides there will be no next gen irl spec. Series to be dissolved once outstanding contracts are fulfilled. Willing earl teams to morph into GrandAm field.

2007 GrandAm season starts with the addition of the Indy 500 and a couple ovals along with a bunch of road races.

Average Attendance at most GA venues doubles from 300 to 600 per event.

Due to lack of attendance, the Hulman/George family announce the 2008 Indy 500 will be renamed the "Brickyard 500 featuring Nascar".

GrandAm moves to the old BY400 date, runs the road course and runs at night under the lights that spicoli swears they're going to install.

Ankf00
01-17-05, 02:58 PM
So if GA is running the Brickyard, I guess atlantics drivers DO have a chance to run at Indy :D

Steve99
01-17-05, 03:23 PM
This could get interesting. So when is the Copperworld Classic?

mueber
01-17-05, 03:45 PM
None of this makes any sense. The best thing for ISC, long-term, would be a dead IRL. Champ Car needs ovals and ISC has them. Open wheel needs to get rid of Boy George to rationalize the business, and Champ Car can do that. NASCAR would like the Memorial Day weekend in Gomerville, and Boy George has it.

If Champ Car is smart, they'll form and allience with the Grand American Series for double features at road courses and street circuits and partner with ISC tracks for oval events.

Grand Am on Memorial Day? Ya gotta be kidding. You think Gomerville fans are allienated now? What til that happens.

extramundane
01-17-05, 05:30 PM
None of this makes any sense. The best thing for ISC, long-term, would be a dead IRL.

Actually, the best thing for ISC, long-term, is IRL & CCWS still slugging it out for open-wheel supremacy and GARRA vs ALMS in the sportscar world. With open-wheel & sportscars split, that's theoretically more audience, sponsorship, etc, etc for CRAPCAR. GARRA is somewhat of a loss-leader for ISC. Its main role is to siphon $$$ & participants off of ALMS; if it happens to gain an audience along the way, even better. As far as open-wheel goes, it seems to me that ISC/France Family is playing both sides of the fence to some degree, and it makes total sense that they would.

racer2c
01-17-05, 05:39 PM
Actually, the best thing for ISC, long-term, is IRL & CCWS still slugging it out for open-wheel supremacy and GARRA vs ALMS in the sportscar world. With open-wheel & sportscars split, that's theoretically more audience, sponsorship, etc, etc for CRAPCAR. GARRA is somewhat of a loss-leader for ISC. Its main role is to siphon $$$ & participants off of ALMS; if it happens to gain an audience along the way, even better. As far as open-wheel goes, it seems to me that ISC/France Family is playing both sides of the fence to some degree, and it makes total sense that they would.

But if this announcement pans out to be even just some sort of 'business partnership' in some form, if not NASCAR or more likely ISC investing in the IRL, France Jr. is tipping his hat.

I have a feeling this will be much less groundshaking or we probably would have heard rumors much earlier. It's probably more along the lines of truck, Grand Am and or Busch race weekend scheduling with the IRL.

extramundane
01-17-05, 06:43 PM
I have a feeling this will be much less groundshaking or we probably would have heard rumors much earlier. It's probably more along the lines of truck, Grand Am and or Busch race weekend scheduling with the IRL.

There have already been GARRA/IRL weekends. Having those series run together doubled the crowd...at least in the paddock.

Railbird
01-17-05, 06:52 PM
NASCAR would like the Memorial Day weekend in Gomerville, and Boy George has it.

One of Cup's premiere events is that weekend, why would they mess with an already successful deal?

While the Grand Am angle seems far fetched it has too many possibilities to be ignored.

Car counts would cease to be a problem, there's already a batch of them and they're cheap besides. Add up the GA regulars, the IRL teams able to pull it off, the same old bunch of wannabes that are always lurking around waiting for an old chassis and a borrowed engine and the next thing you know Gasoline Alley would be packed in May

Manufactures support with the iron hand of Nascar in control would relieve the boys at 16th & Georgetown of a task they've long since proved they can't handle..

Move the 500 to Saturday and plug in a few Cup drivers and watch the stands fill back up. Hell, get Stewart, Gordon and Lil' E in the show and they'll be back to having a waiting list.

racer2c
01-17-05, 06:57 PM
There have already been GARRA/IRL weekends. Having those series run together doubled the crowd...at least in the paddock.

I was eluding to something of a more on going basis.

FTG
01-17-05, 07:05 PM
Move the 500 to Saturday and plug in a few Cup drivers and watch the stands fill back up. Hell, get Stewart, Gordon and Lil' E in the show and they'll be back to having a waiting list.

I was going to say the exact same thing, but was too lazy. It's a no brainer.

gjc2
01-17-05, 07:16 PM
plug in a few Cup drivers and watch the stands fill back up. Hell, get Stewart, Gordon and Lil' E in the show and they'll be back to having a waiting list.

Wait until one of them gets hurt. NASCAR isn't going to risk there big draws

George

Gnam
01-17-05, 07:25 PM
Would DP's be renamed Indy Cars?

That's quite a lineage:
roadsters --> Champ Cars --> Crapwagons --> DP's

RTKar
01-17-05, 07:31 PM
In the tradition of every company with monopolistic ambitions, they want to own everything with a motor and wheels.

Yup, control of tracks, driving talent, TV and most importantly, every possible domestic sponsor.

Railbird
01-17-05, 08:06 PM
NASCAR isn't going to risk there big draws

For their own gain?

Don't kid yourself.

Winston Wolfe
01-17-05, 08:13 PM
Yup, control of tracks, driving talent, TV and most importantly, every possible domestic sponsor.

BINGO.

That's the end game, fellas.... $pon$or$hip Ca$h....

We can all make good speculations about what might happen where, and many suppositions are good ones, but none of us know what is happening with the France's and their monopolistic multi-billion dollar intentions. One this is clear, however, to most on this thread, and that is that the France family is intent on total racing domination in the USA and maybe even the rest of North America, with the BGN race South of the border, and a renewed relationship with CASCAB to the Great White North (its a beauty way to go)

NAPCAB soaks up all of the sponsors, the drivers, teams, and then, the put the .1RL "leaders" into a sleeper hold and its lights out for the earl.

Will there be enough scraps left over the CCWS ? Makes the global thing look much mo' better, that is, if they want to survive. And whoever posted the comments about the France's not getting outsmarted like Tony and his cronies couldnt be more correct

jcollins28
01-18-05, 01:05 AM
NASCAR buys the IRL and NASCAR gets their second date at the Brickyard in May. Thanks Tony you @$$! :flame: