PDA

View Full Version : received new mailer from Road America...

Dirty Sanchez
01-14-05, 08:45 PM
No Champ Car information anywhere...

Atlantics and Trans Am backing ALMS.

:mad:

Methanolandbrats
01-14-05, 08:50 PM
No Champ Car information anywhere...

Atlantics and Trans Am backing ALMS.

:mad: Fauk. That's it then. A month ago they had two versions of the brochure at the printer, one with Champ and one without it. Dammit.

FCYTravis
01-14-05, 09:05 PM
Atlantics with ALMS? :saywhat:

Dirty Sanchez
01-14-05, 09:18 PM
its happened before... and RA was a last second deal that year too. still sucks cuz this should just be a done deal by now. :o

Railbird
01-14-05, 10:14 PM
Too late to make a legitimate go of it now imo.

I mean if they want to throw down three mil just for "us" I'll be there but I don't think that would be in anybody's best interest.

RTKar
01-14-05, 10:40 PM
Seems to me Champcar is in the proverbial, " between a rock and a hard place", situation. Potentially losing its' presence in the upper midwest, dearly wants a Chicago street race to maintain the fan base here which peviously had been served by Road America and Milwaukee and the short lived CMS race. With Milwaukee being the only oval, the future of Champcar maintaining ovals in the schedule is questionable, however dropping it, would leave the Milwaukee/ Chicago area without a race. If attendance at Milwaukee this year is substandard, what will be the next move? IMO....communication with RA should continue and race sponsors should be sought, if not for this year but for next...maybe even run a free to the public open test on a Saturday as a good faith measure.

Methanolandbrats
01-14-05, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=RTKar]Seems to me Champcar is in the proverbial, " between a rock and a hard place", situation. QUOTE] Champcar is abandoning road courses. It is the business plan. If 40k is ok at Milwaukee and they can subsidize that disaster in Vegas, the same thing could have been done at RA. All the excuses are bull****.

racer2c
01-14-05, 10:56 PM
I broke out the cheerleader outfit in support if the San Jose street race and made a big stink over people pining over the loss of the great road courses. But the truth is, as we all know, it sucks for America's premier road racing series not to be at the best road courses America has to offer. A sad travesty. I hope there are brighter days in terms of regaining these great tracks. A series of street venues and a miscellaneous oval thrown in is not going to take the series to the level where it once was.

Opposite Lock
01-14-05, 11:15 PM
On the bright side, the 2005 Tour de Road America is listed as the same weekend as ALMS - probably the only event on the RA schedule that I might get to as it stands.

Think Strana might be back? :gomer:

Ed_Severson
01-15-05, 12:23 AM
I don't believe all hope is lost yet.

Last week, I received a reservation form (and a letter dated 01-04-05) for camping sites at Road America for the 2005 season. Events listed were AMA, June Sprints, BRIC, and the Road America 500.

I was irritated at first, until I noticed the addition of this note:

"Grand Prix of Road America -- A separate mailing will be done for this event when the outcome of negotations are complete."

Unless there's been an announcement more recent than that, it seems that a race at Road America is not out of the question just yet.

Hot Rod Otis
01-15-05, 12:25 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/race/jan05/292835.asp

This piece from 2 days ago indicates that the 2 sides are still talking. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 02:03 PM
"general manager George Bruggenthies has insisted he can’t let the tradition of the event - once the track’s biggest and most profitable - overshadow the fact that it has become a drain on his bottom line."

That's where George and Champcar have to see past this year and the next couple years and help each other rebuild the event with minimal pain to both parties.

RTKar
01-15-05, 04:47 PM
If I were George, I'd bet on Champcar not being at Milwaukee too much longer. I'd also be calling every chamber of commerce in the area, not to mention any company big enough to potentially be sponsor or partial sponsor.

dando
01-15-05, 04:48 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/race/jan05/292835.asp

Hmmffph. Kallman. The idiot that suggested Zanardi's return in Germany was a C^RT publicity stunt. :thumdown: :mad:

Road America’s preliminary schedule shows a Sports Car Vintage Racing Association event May 13-15, but that would be pushed back a week to accommodate Champ Car, Barnes said. Champ Car could rent the track, or Road America could co-promote the race.

I still say May in WI would be a mistake. Just like April in PA, the wx just is not predictable enough that far north in May. It could be 30, 60, or 80....more likely towards the low end in mid-May.

-Kevin

mueber
01-15-05, 08:01 PM
I just received the brochure too. It says a lot about the state of automobile racing today that a facility like Road America can not schedule one professional auto race during the entire season. Please don't protest that ALMS is a professional series, it isn't. That isn't RA's fault; that, sadly, is the way is. I am am not gonna drive from Fort Wayne to Elkhart Lake for historics and amatures, but I can say is that I told my boss I might like some time off in May, but I don't know yet. All I can promise is that if a Champ Car race is scheduled at Road America, I'll be there for all three days, boss permiting.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 09:23 PM
I just received the brochure too. It says a lot about the state of automobile racing today that a facility like Road America can not schedule one professional auto race during the entire season. Please don't protest that ALMS is a professional series, it isn't. That isn't RA's fault; that, sadly, is the way is. I am am not gonna drive from Fort Wayne to Elkhart Lake for historics and amatures, but I can say is that I told my boss I might like some time off in May, but I don't know yet. All I can promise is that if a Champ Car race is scheduled at Road America, I'll be there for all three days, boss permiting. If you've never been to the BRIC, it's worth it. Amazing event. There is probably a bazillion dollars worth of cars on track for three solid days.

RTKar
01-15-05, 09:59 PM
If you've never been to the BRIC, it's worth it. Amazing event. There is probably a bazillion dollars worth of cars on track for three solid days.

Yup ...pretty cool event. Saw Schumi's Benetton bounce through a sand trap and smack into a tire barrier :eek: , There are some great recent vintage F1 cars and Champcars...it's well worth one day.

Dirty Sanchez
01-16-05, 12:41 PM
If I were George, I'd bet on Champcar not being at Milwaukee too much longer. I'd also be calling every chamber of commerce in the area, not to mention any company big enough to potentially be sponsor or partial sponsor.I heard that GB has had little to no contact with local chamber of commerce. Its incredible. That said, I still think Champ Car has more to lose by not being there than Road America. Blame list is long on this one... at least PG's name isn't at the top for a change :D

BRIC is not to be missed. Big time historics event.

rocket
01-16-05, 10:37 PM
Think Strana might be back? :gomer:

Yeah, all 2 of them, what a joke that is for the last 2 years :rolleyes: Everyone just loves doing it halfassed though....dinks

RTKar
01-16-05, 11:19 PM
I heard that GB has had little to no contact with local chamber of commerce. Its incredible. That said, I still think Champ Car has more to lose by not being there than Road America. Blame list is long on this one... at least PG's name isn't at the top for a change :D

BRIC is not to be missed. Big time historics event.

I agree, Champcar's image will suffer greatly without some challenging natural terrain courses. Wankering around at 98 MPH in a parking lot just doesn't cut it for a racing series that claims to be top tier (IMHO). GB not incorporating the local communities in the future of RA and the fans experience is pathetic. Several years ago the CART crowd at RA was announced as being the largest attendance of any sporting event in Wisconsin. The benefits to the state and local communities should be a factor in the thought processes of those associated with getting this event rebuilt and back on track. One thing that does concern me is the state's involvement with State Fair Park and the Mile versus the private ownership at RA. If there's to be only one Champcar event in Wisconsin, I'm sure the state would rather have it at the Mile.

mueber
01-17-05, 10:28 AM
The ALMS weekend is 8/19-21. Champ Car is open that weekend. It would be a tight fit, but a "double-header" weekend at RA would make so much sense, for both series, that it will never happen.

KLang
01-17-05, 11:03 AM
The ALMS weekend is 8/19-21. Champ Car is open that weekend. It would be a tight fit, but a "double-header" weekend at RA would make so much sense, for both series, that it will never happen.

With the Atlantics and Trans Am scheduled there that weekend isn't this the only real option?

How did things go when ChampCar and ALMS ran together in Miami?

Methanolandbrats
01-17-05, 11:30 AM
With the Atlantics and Trans Am scheduled there that weekend isn't this the only real option?

How did things go when ChampCar and ALMS ran together in Miami? Clash of egos IIRC. Gotta decide whos the opening number and who is the main act.

mueber
01-17-05, 12:12 PM
Clash of egos IIRC. Gotta decide whos the opening number and who is the main act.

Egos which guarantee that no matter how much sense it makes, it won't happen. Kinda the story of auto racing in North America over the last ten years. But don't worry about it, it's only the fans, the sponsors, the race tracks and the media that are fed up.

FCYTravis
01-17-05, 04:32 PM
Not nearly enough track time available at RA. The support series schedule is already full up to the brim with Trans-Am, Atlantics, Star Mazda, World Challenge, Skippy... they'd have to cancel out half of those to free up enough on-track activity space.

mueber
01-19-05, 01:51 PM
Not nearly enough track time available at RA. The support series schedule is already full up to the brim with Trans-Am, Atlantics, Star Mazda, World Challenge, Skippy... they'd have to cancel out half of those to free up enough on-track activity space.

If they need an excuse for doing nothing, they can use this one.

KLang
01-19-05, 02:01 PM
Got mine in the mail yesterday. Sorry RA, if you can't work out something with ChampCar I won't be visiting this year. In fact I almost didn't come last year due to your actions during the bancruptcy proceedings.